ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Rumor about UVA o Big Ten?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
I didn’t see a thread about this below. My wife is a UVA grad and said that their fans are discussing the possibility of UVA joining the big ten. I’ve seen posters here mention UVA before, but wondering if there is any discussion outside of message boards. Anyone hear anything?

I didn’t see a thread about this below. My wife is a UVA grad and said that their fans are discussing the possibility of UVA joining the big ten. I’ve seen posters here mention UVA before, but wondering if there is any discussion outside of message boards. Anyone hear anything?
I would love to have UVA and VA Tech as a package just to solidify the eastern footprint of the conference. Sadly I think that is fantasy in the near term.

I would love to have UVA and VA Tech as a package just to solidify the eastern footprint of the conference. Sadly I think that is fantasy in the near term.
Don’t really see Va Tech as a Big Ten school. If the dominoes were to fall with Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC, the Big Ten would need to make a move to stay on par. I could see UVA, then I think they would aim for UNC as well. If that were to fall through, then either Missouri or Kansas to help even up the West.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Don’t really see Va Tech as a Big Ten school. If the dominoes were to fall with Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC, the Big Ten would need to make a move to stay on par. I could see UVA, then I think they would aim for UNC as well. If that were to fall through, then either Missouri or Kansas to help even up the West.
In terms of football, I see VA tech as a perfect match with the B10, typically a solid hard nose program…. reminds me of Iowa. In terms of the rest of their package you may be right. UVA seems like a very good fit overall. UNC would never relinquish power they wield in the ACC. As far as the West goes, I say screw the west. The conference needs more eastern schools.

Reactions: nits74
Why would Mizzou leave an expanded SEC??

Why would Mizzou leave an expanded SEC??
I want to say that Missou wanted to come to the B1G last time around, so I doubt they would be happy with Texas coming to the SEC. Personally, I don’t think the Texas/OU to SEC will happen. Texas wants to be a big fish, so this may just be a power play. I still think their best move would be to go to the PAC 12, because it is struggling and Texas could take advantage of that.

I want to say that Missou wanted to come to the B1G last time around, so I doubt they would be happy with Texas coming to the SEC. Personally, I don’t think the Texas/OU to SEC will happen. Texas wants to be a big fish, so this may just be a power play. I still think their best move would be to go to the PAC 12, because it is struggling and Texas could take advantage of that.
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but I suspect the sudden shift to the 12 team playoff is a direct result of the UT/OU discussions and the fact that the SEC will be able to send 1, 2, or even more teams to the expanded playoff. Under the old system, it would have been foolish for UT or OU to join the SEC.

That would fit with the big ten. The SEC gets Oklahoma and Texas and the Big ten, starts aiming for the likes of Virginia and Kansas to fill spots.

Is there any wonder why the SEC is seen as king of college football and the Big Ten as an inferior product?

Reactions: N&B4PSU
That would fit with the big ten. The SEC gets Oklahoma and Texas and the Big ten, starts aiming for the likes of Virginia and Kansas to fill spots.

Is there any wonder why the SEC is seen as king of college football and the Big Ten as an inferior product?

We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Warren pi$$ed off all the hyper-pro B1G advocates at Oklahoma during the COVID fiasco. FOX didn't help when they refused to show any flexibility in the scheduling time of the Oklahoma/Nebraska game. Meanwhile, the B1G Ten decided to treat Nebraska like sh!t.

This was all an eyeopener for the B1G advocates at Oklahoma who were in the majority pre-Covid, and basically forced them to switch their allegiances. They were handed over to the SEC on a silver platter.

As far as Virginia, we have a better shot at USC and a couple other Pac 12 schools before we have any shot at Virginia. Once Oklahoma and Texas leave for the SEC, dominoes will start to fall. Right now, the politics and TV contracts match up better with the Pac 12 than the ACC. And there are Pac 12 schools looking to move.

Whatever happens, Warren has proven he will find a way to f-ck things up. Guy is the SEC's best friend.

The two schools hurting in the ACC are Miami and FSU, they dropped hard,Tennessee hard. If any schools belong in the SEC it's those two. Stranger things can happen.

The ACC in football is Clemson and the rest of the field, you can flip any other school on most Saturdays' Virginia and NC St., NC.& Syracuse, BC & Va. Tech etc.. Basketball the same schools are competitively better. I don't think expansion is more about geography as it is dollars. If BC can play FSU and Miami play Pitt. the same two schools cam play in the Big. The ACC and Big XII are hanging by a thread. Before anyone mentions ND they will join the Pac before the Big.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
The two schools hurting in the ACC are Miami and FSU, they dropped hard,Tennessee hard. If any schools belong in the SEC it's those two. Stranger things can happen.

The ACC in football is Clemson and the rest of the field, you can flip any other school on most Saturdays' Virginia and NC St., NC.& Syracuse, BC & Va. Tech etc.. Basketball the same schools are competitively better. I don't think expansion is more about geography as it is dollars. If BC can play FSU and Miami play Pitt. the same two schools cam play in the Big. The ACC and Big XII are hanging by a thread. Before anyone mentions ND they will join the Pac before the Big.
You know that Dabo is going to leave for Bama in a couple of years and eventually, Clemson is going to go back to, well, Clemsoning.

While I would imagine this is just rank speculation, either uva or tech, or both, would make fine additions to the big on academic and athletic fronts.

uva is of course the flagship and better known with strengths in arts and science, comp s I, architecture and biomed. The athletics program has big plans and coaches aligned with across the board thinking. In fact, 11th in Lear field cup, 28 spots ahead of psu.

tech is very solid engineering, with kids with a Midwest nonwoke mentality who want to work,increasing selective and desirable, and is about to benefit from the construction of a massive grad czmpus near dc associated with amzn’s move to dc. Great campus spirit and atmosphere for football. 32d in Lear field.

Last edited:
We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Warren pi$$ed off all the hyper-pro B1G advocates at Oklahoma during the COVID fiasco. FOX didn't help when they refused to show any flexibility in the scheduling time of the Oklahoma/Nebraska game. Meanwhile, the B1G Ten decided to treat Nebraska like sh!t.

This was all an eyeopener for the B1G advocates at Oklahoma who were in the majority pre-Covid, and basically forced them to switch their allegiances. They were handed over to the SEC on a silver platter.

As far as Virginia, we have a better shot at USC and a couple other Pac 12 schools before we have any shot at Virginia. Once Oklahoma and Texas leave for the SEC, dominoes will start to fall. Right now, the politics and TV contracts match up better with the Pac 12 than the ACC. And there are Pac 12 schools looking to move.

Whatever happens, Warren has proven he will find a way to f-ck things up. Guy is the SEC's best friend.
Warren has fallen upwards so many times that he may actually change the rules of gravity.

And the research footprint.
What research footprint?

Show me a world where Virginia and VaDreck together bring in more than $110mm of revenue to the Big Ten. As a point of reference, revenue for the entire conference in the last year before the pandemic was just over $780mm.

Reactions: psugrad85
I keep reading that the GOR for the ACC teams involves crazy amounts of money, perhaps insurmountable. Does anybody know the true financial penalty for leaving the ACC?

I am not sure what sort of comparison you are actually trying to draw or what those numbers reflect. UVA’s 19 research revenue was 419m. Vatech exceeds 500, and that is before the amzn effect that will be material. Biomedical, defense, nsf, etc. on the govt side. Certainly not the largest research institutions but not exactly slouches.

as for sports revenue, if that’s what you’re trying to compare, I’m not sure why two schools would bring in some promotional equivalent. Nebraska didn’t. Rutgers might have but I assume you don’t want more Rutgers. What it does do though is lock down - exclusively, really, the most eyeball rich region of the country

I keep reading that the GOR for the ACC teams involves crazy amounts of money, perhaps insurmountable. Does anybody know the true financial penalty for leaving the ACC?

The "true" amount can't be known. The ACC's GOR extends to 2035. That's a lot of leverage (Big 12 by comparison expires in 2025) when it comes to negotiating a buyout.

Reactions: BBrown
I am not sure what sort of comparison you are actually trying to draw or what those numbers reflect. UVA’s 19 research revenue was 419m. Vatech exceeds 500, and that is before the amzn effect that will be material. Biomedical, defense, nsf, etc. on the govt side. Certainly not the largest research institutions but not exactly slouches.

as for sports revenue, if that’s what you’re trying to compare, I’m not sure why two schools would bring in some promotional equivalent. Nebraska didn’t. Rutgers might have but I assume you don’t want more Rutgers. What it does do though is lock down - exclusively, really, the most eyeball rich region of the country

Are you saying that, by virtue of becoming members of the Big Ten, Virginia and VaDreck will share all of their research money with the rest of the members? I don't think so.

As for sports revenue, I don't think that the objective of conference expansion is to decrease it on a per capita basis.

Reactions: psugrad85
Are you saying that, by virtue of becoming members of the Big Ten, Virginia and VaDreck will share all of their research money with the rest of the members? I don't think so.

As for sports revenue, I don't think that the objective of conference expansion is to decrease it on a per capita basis.
Of course not. I am saying I have no idea what your data are referencing since you seem to be mixing buckets, but that in any event one should not Pooh Pooh these schools as research institutions sitting next to the seat of government in a state that is growing rather than shrinking.

as for conference revenue, there are competitive, strategic, and financial considerations that are relevant here. I’d bet the financials would be fine.

Reactions: pioneerlion83
Of course not. I am saying I have no idea what your data are referencing since you seem to be mixing buckets, but that in any event one should not Pooh Pooh these schools as research institutions sitting next to the seat of government in a state that is growing rather than shrinking.

as for conference revenue, there are competitive, strategic, and financial considerations that are relevant here. I’d bet the financials would be fine.

I am not pooh-poohing UVa and VaDreck as research institutions. How does adding them to the conference improve research prospects and academic standing of the current members? It doesn't happen simply by playing in sports.

Don’t forget the all-important Big Ten Academic Alliance.

Yes. I keep trolling its website in search of discussions on how it has facilitated collaboration and enhanced research at its member institutions. I'll let you know when I find something.

But they are really good at expanding the opportunities for colloquia.

Reactions: step.eng69
I would have preferred Mizzou over Nebraska back when the Huskers were brought in. Not moreso than Texas, or even ND, but given those choices were unlikely to happen at that time, Mizzou would have been a good get from an overall athletic standpoint, I think.

Reactions: RockM and Roar More
Yes. I keep trolling its website in search of discussions on how it has facilitated collaboration and enhanced research at its member institutions. I'll let you know when I find something.

But they are really good at expanding the opportunities for colloquia.

The onion dip must be exquisite.

It seems to me if UVA or VaTech could be pried out of the ACC, then ND is truly in play. I don’t think either is true how ever.

Reactions: Aardvark86
While I would imagine this is just rank speculation, either uva or tech, or both, would make fine additions to the big on academic and athletic fronts.

uva is of course the flagship and better known with strengths in arts and science, comp s I, architecture and biomed. The athletics program has big plans and coaches aligned with across the board thinking. In fact, 11th in Lear field cup, 28 spots ahead of psu.

tech is very solid engineering, with kids with a Midwest nonwoke mentality who want to work,increasing selective and desirable, and is about to benefit from the construction of a massive grad czmpus near dc associated with amzn’s move to dc. Great campus spirit and atmosphere for football. 32d in Lear field.
I agree with the above- however way back when there was a lot more talk about how PSU would benefit by joining the Big Ten for academic/research reasons- further elevating our rep beyond just sports. The Big is still primarily large state schools- with Northwestern the oddball (Vandy of the SEC/ Wake of the ACC). Va Tech better fits the student size mold than either UVA or UNC- which would both be the 2nd smallest # of undergrads. We were shocked when looking at Chapel Hill for our daughter when we realized on our tour that the school was the same size as the University of Delaware, Not that any of this matters anymore- it's all about eyeballs and revenue

ADVERTISEMENT