ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Rumor about UVA o Big Ten?

The B10 should pick up what's valuable and left over from B12. Texas is a huge market and Nebraska could use some closer games. The Rutgers and Maryland additions continue to be a disaster. Don't add to it

Kansas would be a mistake IMO. Football runs the show and brings in the money (and we all know this realignment is all about $$$). Kansas’ basketball team is on the verge of sanctions after the FBI probe- should the ncaa decide to ever do its job. More importantly, Kansas football is a nuclear wasteland.

The problem with the Big Ten is while the SEC goes after Texas and Oklahoma, they’re looking at Kansas and Virginia types who bring nothing to the table for the main sport driving the issue.

I politely disagree sir.

The B10 should pick up what's valuable and left over from B12.
Such as whom? The remaining Big 12 teams minus Texas and OU bring little to the table. The Texas tv markets are owned by UT, everyone else is a distant 2nd. If the Big 10 is looking to expand with some flagship schools they would have few options unless they manage to steal a program that's already in the P12, ACC or SEC which is probably unlikely.

The B10 should pick up what's valuable and left over from B12. Texas is a huge market and Nebraska could use some closer games. The Rutgers and Maryland additions continue to be a disaster. Don't add to it
How about Baylor from the Big XII? Bball just won a Nat'l title, football is very competitive, beautiful newer stadium, provides Texas in-roads for recruiting/TV sets and they are a good academic school. I would much rather have them than Kansas. They can be added to BIG West. Then invite UCF for BIG East to open up Florida. I am sure OSU would veto Cincinnati.

What's the reaction from Arkansas? Wasn't the reason they jumped ship to get away from Texas?

What's the reaction from Arkansas? Wasn't the reason they jumped ship to get away from Texas?
It may be a bit more indifferent. They've been in the SEC for almost thirty years and made the jump prior to the SWC disbanding. UT could very well have driven them away but so much time has passed the main reason may not matter to the current generation. OTOH, TAMU freed itself from UT only ten years ago. It's obviously still a very raw situation for them.

Don’t really see Va Tech as a Big Ten school. If the dominoes were to fall with Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC, the Big Ten would need to make a move to stay on par. I could see UVA, then I think they would aim for UNC as well. If that were to fall through, then either Missouri or Kansas to help even up the West.
Have you ever been to Va Tech? It’s a carbon copy of Penn State and Va Tech is a huge Agricultural school as is PSU, OSU, IU, Purdue, and just about every other BIG school not named Rutgers or Maryland.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I don’t think I’d take any of the leftover Texas teams. TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor don’t move the needle in terms of Texas market.

I don’t see any PAC 12 teams leaving. The best bet there might be Colorado. Flagship university of their state, the Denver market, a great road trip, and a rivalry game for Nebraska.

Outside of FSU, Miami, Clemson, and ND, the rest of the ACC are pretty weak, (especially compared to Texas and Oklahoma).

I don’t see any PAC 12 teams leaving. The best bet there might be Colorado. Flagship university of their state, the Denver market, a great road trip, and a rivalry game for Nebraska.
That's never happening. They hated the B12 and Nebraska. Their alumni wanted to be in a conference with the Pac-12 teams

It doesn't matter what most people want, in reality there most likely will be 4 super conferences with about 80 total teams. Money, TV, and attendance will dictate the future of college football. There are not many moves until CFB implodes.

The feel good ivy college atmosphere is gone, so are the decades old rivalries. Sharing dollars with schools that have 5,000 fans in the stands isn't going to cut it. The attendance at most ACC and Big XII games is pathetic.

There's no school left in the B12 that would make it financially feasible - not even KU despite being a blueblood in CBB.

How about Baylor from the Big XII? Bball just won a Nat'l title, football is very competitive, beautiful newer stadium, provides Texas in-roads for recruiting/TV sets and they are a good academic school. I would much rather have them than Kansas. They can be added to BIG West. Then invite UCF for BIG East to open up Florida. I am sure OSU would veto Cincinnati.

You really want to take the 3rd/4th best option in Texas?

Plus, wouldn't be a good culture fit.

Actually, didn't think UT and OU would have been a good culture fit when there were rumblings about those 2 potentially joining the B1G.

The previous UT Pres wanted to join the B1G or PAC since didn't see the SC as being a good fit academically.

The B1G didn't work out because the conf. (justifiably) didn't want the hangers-on that the state politicians required (the PAC was less choosy in that regard because they were in a weaker position financially).

Schools like UCF and Cincinnati wouldn't pass the academic threshold, likely Baylor wouldn't either.

There have been rumblings in the past about UVA and UNC being on the B1G's wish list.

The B1G doesn't have to act now, but can play the long game (wait closer to 2036 when the ACC grant of rights expires).

But to pull UNC away from the ACC, likely will need to add a couple more of their traditional rivals or other programs that will really stoke TV contract $$ - a combination of FSU, Clemson, ND or Duke.

Due to the B1G's long-time ties to the PAC, wouldn't mind seeing the B1G expand in that direction, but don't see that happening due to travel times/costs.

Last edited:
A&M might want to bolt if Texas and OK get in the SEC. They sure wouldn't go back to the Big 12. They'll be virtually a G5 conference. So it would be between the ACC and BIG. With the BIG having a much bigger payout.

I would look south after that. Snag as many as possible out of Miami, VA, VT, UNC out of the ACC. UCF? Although they haven't had any long term high level success.

After Texas and OK leave the Big 12, there's nobody left worth grabbing except maybe OK ST.

Academic standings are a very small part in this now. Actually they have been for a while, now it's out in the open. The people throwing all the money around don't give a rats ass about academics. It's all about the $$$$ schools add to the conference.

One thing is a sure bet. The BIG leadership will screw it up.

^^The B1G leaders still care about academics, albeit the threshold is probably lower than it's ever been.

Schools like FSU and Clemson, which previously wouldn't have passed muster, likely will do so - as long as their additions are balanced out by the likes of UNC, UVA, Duke.

Something like a UCF would never happen.

Don't see TAMU leaving the SEC (quite the change in demeanor in just a few days about the possible addition of UT) as it would be seen as running away with their tail between their legs.

Plus, UT won't be able to dominate the SEC like they did the B12.

There really are no B12 schools worth taking.

One scenario that may not be as outlandish as it seems is for the B1G to ultimately add 6 teams from the ACC.

UVA, UNC, Clemson, FSU, Duke?, GT?, Miami?

Will UNC insist that the B1G also bring its biggest BB rival?

Does GT bring enough of the GA/Atlanta metro area market?

Does Miami bring enough to add a 2nd team from FL?

And then there's ND.

With the ACC basically being demolished, they'd probably will look to join a conf.

That would make for 2 divisions of 10 teams each.

One division could be called the Atlantic division.

6 ACC schools (or ND) plus PSU (many fans getting their wish of seeing PSU in the "ACC") UMD, RU and one other B1G school.

dOSU would make the most sense geographically, but would make the Atlantic too top heavy, and even if you keep the dOSU-UM game via an inter-divisional rival game, dOSU probably prefers to keep UM in the same division (so that way, can keep preventing UM from playing for a divisional title).

So means either IU or MSU stays in the East (Sparty may like that because it means moving out from UM's shadow).

Last edited:
Reactions: RUSURFER
^^The B1G leaders still care about academics, albeit the threshold is probably lower than it's ever been.

Schools like FSU and Clemson, which previously wouldn't have passed muster, likely will do so - as long as their additions are balanced out by the likes of UNC, UVA, Duke.

Something like a UCF would never happen.

Don't see TAMU leaving the SEC (quite the change in demeanor in just a few days about the possible addition of UT) as it would be seen as running away with their tail between their legs.

There really are no B12 schools worth taking.

One scenario that may not be as outlandish as it seems is for the B1G to ultimately add 6 teams from the ACC.

UVA, UNC, Clemson, FSU, Duke?, GT?, Miami?

Will UNC insist that the B1G also bring its biggest BB rival?

Does GT bring enough of the GA/Atlanta metro area market?

Does Miami bring enough to add a 2nd team from FL?

And then there's ND.

With the ACC basically being demolished, they'd probably will look to join a conf.

That would make for 2 divisions of 10 teams each.

One division could be called the Atlantic division.

6 ACC schools (or ND) plus PSU (many fans getting their wish of seeing PSU in the "ACC") UMD, RU and one other B1G school.

dOSU would make the most sense geographically, but would make the Atlantic too top heavy, and even if you keep the dOSU-UM game via an inter-divisional rival game, dOSU probably prefers to keep UM in the same division (so that way, can keep preventing UM from playing for a divisional title).

So means either IU or MSU stays in the East (Sparty may like that because it means moving out from UM's shadow).
Unmmm, when did UT dominate the Big12? They won three championships in 25 years. Heck, Baylor and K-State both had two each.

Reactions: bison13

It would be funny if A&M and Missouri responded by going back to the BXII, just to get away from Texas.

The ultimate criteria shouldn’t be about what programs are most competitive. It should be what programs have the best tv markets and most fans/alumna.

The ultimate criteria shouldn’t be about what programs are most competitive. It should be what programs have the best tv markets and most fans/alumna.

Geography and history should also not be ignored.

The conferences that ignore these in favor of brand names will rue the day they expanded, because fan interest will dwindle fast.

The conferences that ignore these in favor of brand names will rue the day they expanded, because fan interest will dwindle fast.
Sure, like WVU in the B12… makes no sense. This is why I think a team in VA, GATech, and a team in Florida make sense in the B10 East and Kansas, Ok St, and Houston (or a team in TX) expand without skipping all the way to the west coast.

Neither should the Ouija board.

Sure, like WVU in the B12… makes no sense. This is why I think a team in VA, GATech, and a team in Florida make sense in the B10 East and Kansas, Ok St, and Houston (or a team in TX) expand without skipping all the way to the west coast.

Or like these ideas that Michigan joins the SEC, or some B1G teams join the Pac-12. if these things are attempted they would be total flops within 5 years.

Have you ever looked at the TV ratings for Houston or Kansas (when they're not playing a team named Texas or Oklahoma) football?

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV
Have you ever looked at the TV ratings for Houston or Kansas (when they're not playing a team named Texas or Oklahoma) football?
Yeah, but Houston is the number 8 TV market and it wouldn’t be treated in the press as a group of five school. Kansas has as much basketball history as anyone, and Kansas City is 32nd size market. Not too shabby.

Yeah, but Houston is the number 8 TV market and it wouldn’t be treated in the press as a group of five school. Kansas has as much basketball history as anyone, and Kansas City is 32nd size market. Not too shabby.

Adding Kansas would be a fine move in the long run. They are under some type of compliance cloud, though, at present. Houston seems like a stretch. That one doesn't really make sense to me.

And Rutgers is in the number 1 TV market and no one watches its games, just as no one watches Houston or Kansas.

ADVERTISEMENT