ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Celts & Sixers Cutting A Deal! *

Reports say the Knicks and Bulls have had talks with the Celts about the #3 pick.

Celtics likely making a push for Jimmy Butler. News that Knicks would deal Porzingis which is crazy. Celts would need to give up a LOT more than just the 3 to the Knicks. Phoenix is thought to be the real wild card in the draft.

Adam W is reporting Lakers are trading Tim Mozgov and D'Angelo Russell to Nets for Brook Lopez and 27th pick. Lakers are going to draft Ball and will wait for George in 2018.

Adam W is reporting Lakers are trading Tim Mozgov and D'Angelo Russell to Nets for Brook Lopez and 27th pick. Lakers are going to draft Ball and will wait for George in 2018.

I don't understand that one at all. Lakers have been known to want another pick, but 27? What is that going to get you? The draft with Russell and Okafor is looking like a turd sandwich right now.

I don't understand that one at all. Lakers have been known to want another pick, but 27? What is that going to get you? The draft with Russell and Okafor is looking like a turd sandwich right now.

It's a salary dump with Moz's contract and the Lakers get rid of Russell and try to make room for George and maybe even LeBron in 2018.

It's a salary dump with Moz's contract and the Lakers get rid of Russell and try to make room for George and maybe even LeBron in 2018.

Cle is about to become the Sixers. If George replaces Love and bails next year with Lebron, Kyrie will plan his exit as well. Trust the process will soon be the motto in Cleveland.

I think the Lakers trade all but assures Boston gets the Sixers pick next year. The Lakers will be bad, but not the worst team in the league. Hopefully SAC is the worst in 2019 and the Sixers can draft Marvin Bagley III or Zion Williamson. They are better than any 2018 draftees and have real superstar potential.

I think the Lakers trade all but assures Boston gets the Sixers pick next year. The Lakers will be bad, but not the worst team in the league. Hopefully SAC is the worst in 2019 and the Sixers can draft Marvin Bagley III or Zion Williamson. They are better than any 2018 draftees and have real superstar potential.

They are trying to get Paul George now. If that trade goes through, he's a big upgrade on D'lo. 2-5 spot is a small window.

Lopez and George on LA would push the pick back to 2019. Sacramento's pick. Sixers get to keep
it if it's 1st overall. Otherwise, to Boston.

Lopez and George on LA would push the pick back to 2019. Sacramento's pick. Sixers get to keep
it if it's 1st overall. Otherwise, to Boston.

And hopefully with the quality picks the Kings are getting this year and might get next year, that 2019 pick might be in the high teens making this trade even better for the Sixers. Would be great for the Lakers pick next year to be 1 or 6, the kings get "ok" by 2019 and that pick is in the teens and the Sixers are hovering playoff spot making all the picks somewhat irrelevant to the Celtics in terms of "Assets".

And hopefully with the quality picks the Kings are getting this year and might get next year, that 2019 pick might be in the high teens making this trade even better for the Sixers. Would be great for the Lakers pick next year to be 1 or 6, the kings get "ok" by 2019 and that pick is in the teens and the Sixers are hovering playoff spot making all the picks somewhat irrelevant to the Celtics in terms of "Assets".

As a Celtics fan, I'm hoping the loss of Boogie and Rudy Gay sets them back. And, they struggle in their rebuild. Just bad enough to get
Boston the 2nd pick in 2019:)

The Lakers' dream of getting Lebron and George will be much more difficult if they don't get George now. At least get his bird rights locked up so they can sign Lebron into space, and just max George after.

The Lakers' dream of getting Lebron and George will be much more difficult if they don't get George now. At least get his bird rights locked up so they can sign Lebron into space, and just max George after.

Exactly. Plus you never know what next year could mean. Say George goes to Cavs and they win it all. They might collectively say that Cle still remains the best path to playing for a title and determine that they stay pat. I never understand the talk about the biz of playing in LA. You think Jordan got less deals because he was in Chicago? Lebron can get every endorsement deal in Cle that he can get in LA. Unless he wants to invest in movies or something like that, I don't see all the additional benefit. All Lebron has to say is that he is interested in x,y, or z, and it will find him regardless of if he lives in LA or Bellefonte. LA wants to ensure they get George, do it now.

If I were those guys, I would go to the Clippers to be in West's organization. I'm not sure if Magic delivers the goods to be honest. Cleveland is making a great move in Billups, that could be a factor in this as well.

The word is Lebron wants to be more involved in entertainment and his wife wants to live there. I don't see why they have to do that now though. Lebron can always do those things after his career.

Exactly. Plus you never know what next year could mean. Say George goes to Cavs and they win it all. They might collectively say that Cle still remains the best path to playing for a title and determine that they stay pat. I never understand the talk about the biz of playing in LA. You think Jordan got less deals because he was in Chicago? Lebron can get every endorsement deal in Cle that he can get in LA. Unless he wants to invest in movies or something like that, I don't see all the additional benefit. All Lebron has to say is that he is interested in x,y, or z, and it will find him regardless of if he lives in LA or Bellefonte. LA wants to ensure they get George, do it now.

If I were those guys, I would go to the Clippers to be in West's organization. I'm not sure if Magic delivers the goods to be honest. Cleveland is making a great move in Billups, that could be a factor in this as well.

Most of the time it's 2 things... the weather LA > CLE and they like to hobnob at the fancy parties of the rich and famous

You don't get the difference between living in LA or Cleveland/Indiana? Good grief. It ain't just about endorsements.

You don't get the difference between living in LA or Cleveland/Indiana? Good grief. It ain't just about endorsements.

He already has a house in LA and can live there in the off season. Lebron kind of has a job from Oct to June. So, what you're saying is that this comes down to where Mrs Lebron wants to live all year?

And I'd rather have my kids not exposed to all the nonsense that comes with LA and all the plastic people who live in the areas that I'm sure they live in.

It's also been reported that LA is attractive because LBJ is a "businessman" so yes it does seem to come down to "business" related opportunities which at least includes endorsements.

Good grief!

He already has a house in LA and can live there in the off season. Lebron kind of has a job from Oct to June. So, what you're saying is that this comes down to where Mrs Lebron wants to live all year?

And I'd rather have my kids not exposed to all the nonsense that comes with LA and all the plastic people who live in the areas that I'm sure they live in.

It's also been reported that LA is attractive because LBJ is a "businessman" so yes it does seem to come down to "business" related opportunities which at least includes endorsements.

Good grief!

In your other post you said location isn't important when it comes to endorsements. Maybe, LA is better because of the weather and business.
And, they're are a lot more rich people he can hobnob with out there, than Cleveland.

In your other post you said location isn't important when it comes to endorsements. Maybe, LA is better because of the weather and business.
And, they're are a lot more rich people he can hobnob with out there, than Cleveland.

Yes, I don't believe LBJ needs to be in LA to get endorsements just like Jordan didn't need to be in LA or NYC. We will see what happens down the road.

The Process is officially over. If there is not marked improvement this year, Brown is gone for sure. It's time to deliver.

There will be improvement and I believe we can make the playoffs in the East. It certainly shouldn't cost Brett his job if we miss. But I'm also not sure what time to deliver or marked improvement mean.

There will be improvement and I believe we can make the playoffs in the East. It certainly shouldn't cost Brett his job if we miss. But I'm also not sure what time to deliver or marked improvement mean.

I would say they better make the playoffs if Embiid and Simmons stay healthy. I agree, you would think that is achievable. I would say that most people believe the trajectory is to reach the playoffs this year, sign an impact FA next year, and get one more meaningful piece in the draft over one of the next two seasons. I think a lot of people envision being in the hunt for the East top spot by 2019-2020. So, the trajectory accelerates and quickly at that. It starts with reaching the playoffs this year and with Brown starting to fit the pieces together.

If they fail to reach the playoffs, eyes will be on Brown. He already could not devise ANY plan to maximize Embiid/Nerlens/Okafor or at least two of them in combo. A lot of respected people in the NBA have said Simmons as point is a disaster (read what Larry Brown said about people thinking Simmons is a point player - he called them morons). So, we will learn a lot about Brown this year.

Until we see Fultz and Simmons play, we won't know how much they can influence a playoff run.

The argument for this team to make it is a healthy Joel Embiid.

Meh not yet ... core of this team is 19-21 years old. Will need 2-3 years playing together and maturing while gaining strength before they are ready to make a deep run

They will be a playoff team no later than 2019 imo. Whether they make it this upcoming season is another question.

If they fail to reach the playoffs, eyes will be on Brown. He already could not devise ANY plan to maximize Embiid/Nerlens/Okafor or at least two of them in combo. A lot of respected people in the NBA have said Simmons as point is a disaster (read what Larry Brown said about people thinking Simmons is a point player - he called them morons). So, we will learn a lot about Brown this year.

I like Brown. The Embiid/Nerlens/Okafor was never going to work. I do not see Simmons as a traditional point guard.

Getting excited about the 76ers for the first time in a long time (at least 10 years).

This isn't exactly germane to the prevailing topic but I was reading the WaPost this morning about Lonzo Ball. Quoting some unnamed GM: "Worst case scenario, he's an upgrade on Ricky Rubio." I know that there's a tendency for people to be down on Ball because of his idiot father (How do I know? I'm one of those people.), but he's a hard working kid, humble. I'll be rooting for him.

I would say they better make the playoffs if Embiid and Simmons stay healthy. I agree, you would think that is achievable. I would say that most people believe the trajectory is to reach the playoffs this year, sign an impact FA next year, and get one more meaningful piece in the draft over one of the next two seasons. I think a lot of people envision being in the hunt for the East top spot by 2019-2020. So, the trajectory accelerates and quickly at that. It starts with reaching the playoffs this year and with Brown starting to fit the pieces together.

Sixers insiders are backing off the usage of Simmons and the words "point guard" in the same sentence.

This isn't exactly germane to the prevailing topic but I was reading the WaPost this morning about Lonzo Ball. Quoting some unnamed GM: "Worst case scenario, he's an upgrade on Ricky Rubio." I know that there's a tendency for people to be down on Ball because of his idiot father (How do I know? I'm one of those people.), but he's a hard working kid, humble. I'll be rooting for him.

Good luck to him for sure.

The Sixers were going to acquire Maravich in a trade. Sixers pissed the Pistol off and Boston swooped in to steal him so the Sixers could not get him. But Pistol was not the real Pistol by that time in his career.

You messed up some of the details. Pete was a FA. The Sixers thought they had him. He came in for a visit. Toward the end of his visit, Billy C (their coach) was scheduled to appear on a sports talk show on WCAU. Shortly after his appearance started, Pistol Pete mentioned that he was also talking to the Celtics, and indicated to GM Pat Williams that he was leaning toward the Celtics. Pretty much every call that Billy C got was from fans that wanted to deal discuss how the Sixers would employ Pete. The GM desperately tried to get ahold of Billy C, but that was before cell phones, so they didn't speak until after the radio show was over. Pete did sign with the Celtics, and the Sixers looked like they had been used. It was not a pretty thing, and it didn't help that it was the hated Celtics.

That's just ridiculous. He sees the court on a very, very high level. Best thing about him is he isn't ball dominant. I actually liked him a bit for the Sixers and thought he was one player who would have fit well with Simmons. A lot of passers like GS has is desirable if multiple players can also score the basketball.

I worry a bit, actually a lot, about his shot mechanics and Lonzo's ability to get his shot off against good players. I also worry about his body and his ability to match up against physical NBA types. It's not fair for anyone, but him against Westbrook is going to be criminal.

But saying a Rubio upgrade is crazy. Lonzo can be a great point player in the league

Reactions: LionJim
You messed up some of the details. Pete was a FA. The Sixers thought they had him. He came in for a visit. Toward the end of his visit, Billy C (their coach) was scheduled to appear on a sports talk show on WCAU. Shortly after his appearance started, Pistol Pete mentioned that he was also talking to the Celtics, and indicated to GM Pat Williams that he was leaning toward the Celtics. Pretty much every call that Billy C got was from fans that wanted to deal discuss how the Sixers would employ Pete. The GM desperately tried to get ahold of Billy C, but that was before cell phones, so they didn't speak until after the radio show was over. Pete did sign with the Celtics, and the Sixers looked like they had been used. It was not a pretty thing, and it didn't help that it was the hated Celtics.

Yes, sorry you're right it was FA. But you do know what one of the issues was regarding the physical, right?

That I agree 100% with...

If you think people will be satisfied with that timeline, I've got some swampland to sell you. People were thinking playoffs last season for a bit with a minutes restricted Jojo, no Simmons, and no Fultz. Philly ain't that patient that's for sure.

If you think people will be satisfied with that timeline, I've got some swampland to sell you. People were thinking playoffs last season for a bit with a minutes restricted Jojo, no Simmons, and no Fultz. Philly ain't that patient that's for sure.

Who was thinking playoffs last year?

Listening to radio and talking to people most are on board it's going to take a few years to make a deep run and most important management has been preaching this ... Brown has a few years to get this team deep into the playoffs

Yes, sorry you're right it was FA. But you do know what one of the issues was regarding the physical, right?

I've heard conflicting reports on the physical, so I'm cautious about making any claims about it. You may know the truth about that situation.

They "better" make the playoffs? Why? What will happen? They have a young core that has to mature. It's going to take some time. The intelligent Sixers fans have been patient through the process, looks like we have 3 studs to build around. This is the fun part, watching them grow. There is no pressure on them to be big winners immediately. Warriors are so far ahead of the pack that this is the perfect timeline for this squad to mature.

So Simmons is a "disaster" at point guard before he's even played one NBA game. That sounds like an intelligent take.

And Larry Brown is a moron. Taking Larry Hughes when Paul Pierce and Dirk Nowitzki are sitting on the board. DUMB, and that isn't 20/20 hindsight.

Reactions: bwifan
They "better" make the playoffs? Why? What will happen? They have a young core that has to mature. It's going to take some time. The intelligent Sixers fans have been patient through the process, looks like we have 3 studs to build around. This is the fun part, watching them grow. There is no pressure on them to be big winners immediately. Warriors are so far ahead of the pack that this is the perfect timeline for this squad to mature.

So Simmons is a "disaster" at point guard before he's even played one NBA game. That sounds like an intelligent take.

And Larry Brown is a moron. Taking Larry Hughes when Paul Pierce and Dirk Nowitzki are sitting on the board. DUMB, and that isn't 20/20 hindsight.

I think you stand in small company calling Larry Brown a moron. The guy who has won at every level and without the greatest talent. And it's not just him saying that Simmons as the point player is less than optimal. Many NBA people say the same. Heck, even the Sixers beat writer who watches Simmons work daily says the same.

Yes, it is hindsight indeed. The top 25% of the league passed on Dirk and Paul Pierce, not just the Sixers. Guys that evaluate talent 24/7 for their job passed on both. It's not like that draft was the Jordan draft either. There were some terrible players picked in front of Hughes, Dirk, and Pierce. Guys who barely lasted in the league not to mention the #1 overall pick. Did I want Hughes? No, I preferred Pierce because I saw him play enough. Did everyone think that Pierce was a HOF'er out of Kansas? Absolutely not. So, I guess all those GM's were morons?

All I was saying is that there will be pressure if the Sixers don't make meaningful progress this year and that progress will be defined as the playoffs since it's always a convenient measuring stick. Also, the Sixers will only attract better FA's if they show improvement in wins and losses. You think the front office doesn't want there to be real success and improvement this year since signing an impact FA has always been a part of the strategy in addition to building through the draft? The players don't get fired, we know that. There is only one other person to attract attention, the coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT