ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Celts & Sixers Cutting A Deal! *

ILLINOISLION

May 29, 2001
Details forthcoming but gotta like Sixers going after who they want. Hopefully not too costly!

Looks like the sixers #3 this year, their lakers unprotected 2018, and a first rd to be named later.

Hopefully the later is the originally mentioned 2021 first rounder. By then the sixers should be seeing the playoffs and that should be a 21-30 pick which won't bet much.

If it's the 2019 Kings I hope is heavily protected. Either way, great move. Love them going all in for a player that fits perfectly. If they can net a shooter in free agency they will have a solid team to start the season.

Follow up.....

The Celtics will receive at least one additional first-round pick in the deal, sources told ESPN. Sources say Philadelphia, on top of its No. 3 overall pick, is sending the 2018 first-round ‎pick it owns via the Los Angeles Lakers, which the Sixers acquired from Phoenix at the 2015 trade deadline.

But if that Lakers' pick doesn't fall between No. 2 and No. 5 in the 2018 draft, sources say, Philadelphia will instead send a 2019 first-rounder to Boston that it acquired from the Sacramento Kings.

This sounds like a steal for the Sixers. So basically they swap 1 & 3 with the celts and will send them one other pick in either 2018 OR 2019.

Looks like another update....might be all 3 picks

Sources: For top pick, Sixers planning to send Celtics '17 No. 3 overall pick, '18 FRP (via LA) and '19 FRP (via Kings) - w/ protections.

— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) June 18, 2017

Looks like another update....might be all 3 picks

Sources: For top pick, Sixers planning to send Celtics '17 No. 3 overall pick, '18 FRP (via LA) and '19 FRP (via Kings) - w/ protections.

— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) June 18, 2017
Woj already corrected that and restated only 2 first round picks are involved. It's an either or.

Reactions: jmorovich
Looks like the sixers #3 this year, their lakers unprotected 2018, and a first rd to be named later.

Hopefully the later is the originally mentioned 2021 first rounder. By then the sixers should be seeing the playoffs and that should be a 21-30 pick which won't bet much.

If it's the 2019 Kings I hope is heavily protected. Either way, great move. Love them going all in for a player that fits perfectly. If they can net a shooter in free agency they will have a solid team to start the season.
Ya highly doubt it's the kings 2019 first rounder.

Great deal for both teams. Sixers being aggressive and using assets to get the player they need (that was the point of acquiring picks, not just using them for drafting). If you don't trade them, then you just sit and wait to see what players drop to you. If they are not the best fit, then you just continue to delay the building process.

Good deal for Celtics too. They probably get the player they want anyway and accumulate another asset.

Sixes are nuts. Two #1's for Fultz? What has the kid accomplished? He led his team to a nine win season.... bailed out the last month for fear of injury... and got his coach fired... yep, lets build around this kid. The best player in the draft is Jackson. They should keep their pick and go with Fox from Kentucky, if they need a guard at #3.

Sixes are nuts. Two #1's for Fultz? What has the kid accomplished? He led his team to a nine win season.... bailed out the last month for fear of injury... and got his coach fired... yep, lets build around this kid. The best player in the draft is Jackson. They should keep their pick and go with Fox from Kentucky, if they need a guard at #3.

I've read dozens of articles on the trade today, and not one implied the Sixers made a mistake. Fultz may be only player without major question marks in the draft. Jackson has multiple flaws in his game.

Per Bleacher report:

"Drafting Jackson over Ball would mean expecting the former to become a go-to option. But the advanced numbers suggest he's still far from being ready to consistently generate offense against a set NBA defense.

Jackson shot just 28 percent off isolations and pick-and-rolls and 20 percent off the dribble in the mid-range, per Synergy (via DraftExpress' Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz).

His handle looks much better in space than it does in traffic or when he's pressured. Many of his pull-ups looked rushed or like heaves after he struggled to gain good ball control when rising to fire.

At this stage, he isn't a sharp one-on-one player and seems unlikely to consistently threaten the defense as a spot-up shooter off the ball.

He's also older than a number of sophomores in the draft, which suggests he might not have as much time or room to improve as other freshmen."

Reactions: Sullivan
I've read dozens of articles on the trade today, and not one implied the Sixers made a mistake. Fultz may be only player without major question marks in the draft. Jackson has multiple flaws in his game.

Per Bleacher report:

"Drafting Jackson over Ball would mean expecting the former to become a go-to option. But the advanced numbers suggest he's still far from being ready to consistently generate offense against a set NBA defense.

Jackson shot just 28 percent off isolations and pick-and-rolls and 20 percent off the dribble in the mid-range, per Synergy (via DraftExpress' Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz).

His handle looks much better in space than it does in traffic or when he's pressured. Many of his pull-ups looked rushed or like heaves after he struggled to gain good ball control when rising to fire.

At this stage, he isn't a sharp one-on-one player and seems unlikely to consistently threaten the defense as a spot-up shooter off the ball.

He's also older than a number of sophomores in the draft, which suggests he might not have as much time or room to improve as other freshmen."
That said, and I don't disagree, the Sixers have more often than not blown top picks.

There's a reason Fultz is the consensus #1 pick in the draft. Local Sixers beat writer said he "checks all the boxes". I think Smails nailed it when he said in the NBA it's quality over quantity. It's better to have 1 guy rated a 95 than 2 guys rated 80.

Embiid, Simmons, Fultz, Saric is a heck of a young foundation. They still will have either the Kings or the Lakers first rounder after this trade. This is a no brainer.

Reactions: jmorovich

You want to put De'Aaron Fox or Josh Jackson with Ben Simmons?

There's a reason Fultz is the consensus #1 pick in the draft. Local Sixers beat writer said he "checks all the boxes". I think Smails nailed it when he said in the NBA it's quality over quantity. It's better to have 1 guy rated a 95 than 2 guys rated 80.

Embiid, Simmons, Fultz, Saric is a heck of a young foundation. They still will have either the Kings or the Lakers first rounder after this trade. This is a no brainer.

And Okafor, who would be an attractive fit for some team that needs a center next year due to injury or whatever. If not, arguably an above average backup for the 6ers.

They also have cap space to sign at least two (2) max-contract free agents. It's suddenly possible that Lebron could consider the 76ers. He understands the superteam concept, and knows the NBA east is still the easier path to the finals.

Jackson can't shoot. Good luck with that.

Details forthcoming but gotta like Sixers going after who they want. Hopefully not too costly!

I didn't see a lot of Kansas this year. I caught mainly pac-12 games. Was working late. What are your thoughts on Josh Jackson? I thought Celtics biggest

problem in the playoffs was getting bullied. Need to get bigger and more athletic in the front court. I'm hoping they sign Hayward. To add secondary scoring.

Love your enthusiasm for PSU Judge.But, I have to laugh at any Sixers fan thinking he knows how to build a team better than Danny Ainge.

Magoo, Jackson had a very similar one-and-done career at KU as Andrew Wiggins had three years ago. Jackson started slowly last December but played better and better as the year went along.

Sizewise and athletically Wiggins and Jackson are almost shadows of each other. I honestly didn't think Wiggins would make the impression that he has made in his first three years in the NBA, he really surprised me. But if he has been able to do what he has, I see no reason why Jackson can't do as well.

He's no JoJo White, but hey, very few are! JoJo was a senior at KU when I was a freshman, played a little basketball that fall with him, a great great guy.....loved him as a Jayhawk, loved him as a Celtic! Hopefully Jackson can make Boston proud, too!

I didn't see a lot of Kansas this year. I caught mainly pac-12 games. Was working late. What are your thoughts on Josh Jackson? I thought Celtics biggest

problem in the playoffs was getting bullied. Need to get bigger and more athletic in the front court. I'm hoping they sign Hayward. To add secondary scoring.

Love your enthusiasm for PSU Judge.But, I have to laugh at any Sixers fan thinking he knows how to build a team better than Danny Ainge.

Embiid 23, Simmons 20, and Fultz 19 are as good as a young trio that the NBA has seen since OKC/Seattle's Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. $40 Million in cap space for free agents, too.

It's on.

Reactions: bmw199 and bwifan
The Ringer

" The Sixers will have a collection of high-upside players the league has rarely seen on the same team. Fultz, Joel Embiid, and Ben Simmons are the consensus top-ranked players in their respective draft classes, factoring out injury concerns. It’s conceivable that this trade solidifies the core for a potential dynasty."

"Fultz is a technicolor offensive player. He’s in the John Wall or Kyrie Irving stratosphere of point guard prospects — a potential franchise-changer."

https://theringer.com/markelle-fultz-solves-phillys-ben-simmons-problem-c6b989782c29

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com...e-markelle-fultz-no-2-pick-julius-randle-no-1

Fultz has widely been considered the best prospect in the draft for some time now, but Givony reports that the Lakers' thought process changed because Fultz "murdered" his workout and that it might have been "the best one" the team saw throughout the pre-draft process.

Givony said that Fultz even played two-on-two baseketball despite it not being agreed to beforehand and that his vertical was measured at 40 inches.

Reactions: NJPSU
The Ringer

" The Sixers will have a collection of high-upside players the league has rarely seen on the same team. Fultz, Joel Embiid, and Ben Simmons are the consensus top-ranked players in their respective draft classes, factoring out injury concerns. It’s conceivable that this trade solidifies the core for a potential dynasty."

"Fultz is a technicolor offensive player. He’s in the John Wall or Kyrie Irving stratosphere of point guard prospects — a potential franchise-changer."

https://theringer.com/markelle-fultz-solves-phillys-ben-simmons-problem-c6b989782c29

And having to only give up 1 of the first round picks the next 2 years they will be able to continue to add top quality players. Whether they give up the Lakers pick or the Kings pick to me this is a great deal for both teams. Both picks to move up that little would have been too much. This trade makes sense for the Sixers and the Celtics. Not a need for the Celtics and they get great compensation and Sixers get player in a position of real need

The other thing with getting Fultz is now Embiid isn't the best 3point shooter on the team.

I wonder if they offer JJ Redick something like $40 million over two years? They can pay him whatever they want on a short term contract and it wouldn't effect their ability to retain a key piece. Or make a max offer for RFA Otto Porter with Washington.

Embiid 23, Simmons 20, and Fultz 19 are as good as a young trio that the NBA has seen since OKC/Seattle's Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. $40 Million in cap space for free agents, too.

It's on.

A players greatest ability is his availability. Hope they stay healthy. But, Embiid and Simmons seem like they may have injury issues.

A players greatest ability is his availability. Hope they stay healthy. But, Embiid and Simmons seem like they may have injury issues.

Simmons had his foot stepped on in training camp. He hasn't had "injury issues". Embiid indeed has had a number of problems. We'll have to see.

I wonder if they offer JJ Redick something like $40 million over two years? They can pay him whatever they want on a short term contract and it wouldn't effect their ability to retain a key piece. Or make a max offer for RFA Otto Porter with Washington.
Porter would be a good add for Philadelphia. Terrific three shooter, great in transition, good defense, plays hard, would be a good addition to the locker room. Would be a big loss to Washington.

Porter would be a good add for Philadelphia. Terrific three shooter, great in transition, good defense, plays hard, would be a good addition to the locker room. Would be a big loss to Washington.

Can't see why Wash wouldn't match, though.

Anything long term scares me in keeping the young guys. As long as the right balance is struck.

Great deal for Sixers.. if either year is #1 overall pick Sixers keep the pick ...

BOSTON – The Boston Celtics announced today that they have acquired the third overall selection of the 2017 NBA Draft and the favorably-protected rights to a future first round pick from the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for the first overall pick in this year’s draft.

The future first round pick will be the Los Angeles Lakers’ 2018 pick if it’s within the No. 2 to No. 5 range of the 2018 draft. If it is not, the Celtics will instead receive either Sacramento’s or Philadelphia’s first round pick in 2019, whichever is more favorable. However, if either of those 2019 picks result in the first overall selection, Boston will instead receive the other first round pick.

The last time I cared about when the Sixers and Celtics did anything together was when Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell played against each either. They were all classic battles!

Reactions: Nitwit
The last time I cared about when the Sixers and Celtics did anything together was when Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell played against each either. They were all classic battles!

The Sixers were going to acquire Maravich in a trade. Sixers pissed the Pistol off and Boston swooped in to steal him so the Sixers could not get him. But Pistol was not the real Pistol by that time in his career.

Interesting that the Celtics have never met or worked out with their presumptive pick, Josh Jackson. Apparently his agent has issues with the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT