ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Celts & Sixers Cutting A Deal! *

I've heard conflicting reports on the physical, so I'm cautious about making any claims about it. You may know the truth about that situation.

I read all the Maravich books and I thought it was covered in at least a couple of them. Didn't really matter anyway since Pistol was done at that point anyway,

Just for $hits and giggles, if I was the Sixers I would have had Andrew Toney make the call on the draft swap to Ainge. Old Danny would have soiled himself just hearing The Boston Stranglers voice.

You youngins missed one of the greatest acts of basketball abuse when Toney routinely abused Ainge.

Reactions: WestSideLion
So "the people" you meant were the players, not the fans?

For a short period of time, both. WIP tries anything to get people interested, so they did beat the drum a bit. But we both realize that the WIP callers are prob a small subset. But for a fleeting window, there was some thought that they could make a run. Then Jojo broke and reality returned.

For a short period of time, both. WIP tries anything to get people interested, so they did beat the drum a bit. But we both realize that the WIP callers are prob a small subset. But for a fleeting window, there was some thought that they could make a run. Then Jojo broke and reality returned.

Lol ok.

Going to be a rough decade or so for guys like that.

I like the setting up of artificial finish lines that the Sixers have to reach or "else". Trolling 101. Going to take time for these guys to mature, learn to play in the NBA, learn to play together.

I like the setting up of artificial finish lines that the Sixers have to reach or "else". Trolling 101. Going to take time for these guys to mature, learn to play in the NBA, learn to play together.

I don't like to operate in absolutes. "This team HAS to make the playoffs" is different than "I think this team can make the playoffs," for instance. I believe the latter, not the former, especially when it comes to Brown's job security (last year of his contract if I'm not mistaken as well).

Circumstances change. If Embiid gets hurt game 1, can anyone thinking reasonably say this team should be a playoff team? Our playoff chances are tied to Embiid, if he's healthy for most or all of the season, we can make it because (1) the East isn't that good, and (2) we performed near a 50-win team last season when he was on the floor. Should Brett Brown's job security be tied to Embiid's health? I think that's absurdly unfair

Now, maybe that'll be different this season, but it seems ludicrous to me to heap such significant expectations on Brett Brown and the team. I get the pressure is going to start building, but our core has played 31 NBA games. Let's not shift into 4th gear in a 25 mph zone.

And this is even acknowledging that Simmons could be good right away! He had a year off and was able to live the NBA life, albeit through injury. We saw what 2 years off did for Embiid's overall game. It could also take him time to get back into playing shape and he'll struggle right away.

Be patient, keep trusting the process, we are so close, let the players develop.

Reactions: Judge Smails
I think you stand in small company calling Larry Brown a moron. The guy who has won at every level and without the greatest talent. And it's not just him saying that Simmons as the point player is less than optimal. Many NBA people say the same. Heck, even the Sixers beat writer who watches Simmons work daily says the same.

Yes, it is hindsight indeed. The top 25% of the league passed on Dirk and Paul Pierce, not just the Sixers. Guys that evaluate talent 24/7 for their job passed on both. It's not like that draft was the Jordan draft either. There were some terrible players picked in front of Hughes, Dirk, and Pierce. Guys who barely lasted in the league not to mention the #1 overall pick. Did I want Hughes? No, I preferred Pierce because I saw him play enough. Did everyone think that Pierce was a HOF'er out of Kansas? Absolutely not. So, I guess all those GM's were morons?

All I was saying is that there will be pressure if the Sixers don't make meaningful progress this year and that progress will be defined as the playoffs since it's always a convenient measuring stick. Also, the Sixers will only attract better FA's if they show improvement in wins and losses. You think the front office doesn't want there to be real success and improvement this year since signing an impact FA has always been a part of the strategy in addition to building through the draft? The players don't get fired, we know that. There is only one other person to attract attention, the coach.

Actually numerous people are mentioning that Larry Brown is not cut out for today's game. Even he admits it that he doesn't recognize and understand today's game. What he says I put little relevance in anymore. I like him and think he is a great college coach. He is good for looking at the game historically. He was never a good judge on personnel. Give him a group of average to above average players that wanted to work as a team and play team basketball and he shined as a coach. He couldn't deal with the ego and personality's in the NBA game. He was much better suited for college.

The future is so bright and people see it and want to watch this team develop. Look at next year they are basically sold out for season tickets already. This is a team that won 10 games 2 years ago. People can't wait to watch this young nucleus grow and mature

I don't like to operate in absolutes. "This team HAS to make the playoffs" is different than "I think this team can make the playoffs," for instance. I believe the latter, not the former, especially when it comes to Brown's job security (last year of his contract if I'm not mistaken as well).

Circumstances change. If Embiid gets hurt game 1, can anyone thinking reasonably say this team should be a playoff team? Our playoff chances are tied to Embiid, if he's healthy for most or all of the season, we can make it because (1) the East isn't that good, and (2) we performed near a 50-win team last season when he was on the floor. Should Brett Brown's job security be tied to Embiid's health? I think that's absurdly unfair

Now, maybe that'll be different this season, but it seems ludicrous to me to heap such significant expectations on Brett Brown and the team. I get the pressure is going to start building, but our core has played 31 NBA games. Let's not shift into 4th gear in a 25 mph zone.

And this is even acknowledging that Simmons could be good right away! He had a year off and was able to live the NBA life, albeit through injury. We saw what 2 years off did for Embiid's overall game. It could also take him time to get back into playing shape and he'll struggle right away.

Be patient, keep trusting the process, we are so close, let the players develop.

It reminds me of Pitt fans who kept saying Franklin was on the hot seat. They see the talent in the pipeline and are hoping something happens to short circuit the success they fear is coming.

Brett Brown is under contract through the 2018-19 season, according to Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.

We'll have to see how it goes, how they play together. For that January run they had before Embiid got injured, they were one of the best teams in the NBA. They could also add some free agents as well ($40mil in cap space), so the picture could look even brighter than it does now.

It reminds me of Pitt fans who kept saying Franklin was on the hot seat. They see the talent in the pipeline and are hoping something happens to short circuit the success they fear is coming.

Brett Brown is under contract through the 2018-19 season, according to Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.

We'll have to see how it goes, how they play together. For that January run they had before Embiid got injured, they were one of the best teams in the NBA. They could also add some free agents as well ($40mil in cap space), so the picture could look even brighter than it does now.

Wait so you're saying that because Brown is under contract through 18-19 that there is no pressure. You do realize that this organization was probably paying more coaches under contract who were not actually coaching than any other team in NBA HISTORY right?

It's a success oriented league. If they don't improve record wise and show progress, there is no question there will be pressure.

We will see, it should be an interesting year.

Wait so you're saying that because Brown is under contract through 18-19 that there is no pressure. You do realize that this organization was probably paying more coaches under contract who were not actually coaching than any other team in NBA HISTORY right?

It's a success oriented league. If they don't improve record wise and show progress, there is no question there will be pressure.

We will see, it should be an interesting year.

I'm pretty sure he said Brown is under contract through 18-19 to correct my error in thinking it was only through 17-18.

Reactions: Judge Smails
I'm pretty sure he said Brown is under contract through 18-19 to correct my error in thinking it was only through 17-18.

OK, understood. I took it as meaning that he was not on hot seat since he has 2 years on contract. I can agree with you guys on one thing, the building is sold out basically and that's all that matters to these guys really at the end of the day.

Markelle Fultz showing in summer league what made him top pick

https://www.fanragsports.com/nba/76ers/harper-markelle-fultz-showing-summer-league-made-top-pick/

"Fultz’s game can be described as wobbly and disarming. His in-and-out crossovers come out of positions where it looks like he may topple over. He explodes into spin moves shedding defenders in the lane. Fultz creates enough space for his high-release jumper that looks as pure as advertised. It’s easy to see why the Sixers appear to have such high hopes of having him both on and off the ball. He’ll play alongside Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid as both big-time scorer and table-setter.

In his debut, Fultz showed off the arsenal that made scouts so excited about him at the NBA level. In his second game, he exploded in the fourth quarter by scoring 13 of his 23 points in a furious comeback attempt that fell just short.

“You see a smoothness there that isn’t typical,” a Western Conference scout said about Fultz’s debut. “Think that smoothness tricks some people into questioning effort. But you saw the dog in him on those blocks. It didn’t look like he went full speed, but you rarely saw [Tracy McGrady] look full speed either. Fultz just has the smoothness to his game that disarms.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT