ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Brett McMurphy’s Top Ten…

Midnighter2

Jan 21, 2021

Still a lot to play for. Worst thing about losing to Iowa is their fans - which were on display last night for everyone to see. Have to hope Clifford can play the brutal stretch of B1G East games we have left. Allar and Singleton will be huge additions next year.

Last edited:
Everything is still on the table for this team, that’s the good news.

Anyone who watched the first quarter knows if PSU with Clifford plays Iowa in Indy it will be a long afternoon for the Hawkeyes. If PSU wins the B1G as a 12-1 champion they’re in the CFP.

Anyone who watched the first quarter knows if PSU with Clifford plays Iowa in Indy it will be a long afternoon for the Hawkeyes. If PSU wins the B1G as a 12-1 champion they’re in the CFP.
In theory only, I'm afraid. Extremely unlikely they beat OSU, with or without Clifford.

In theory only, I'm afraid. Extremely unlikely they beat OSU, with or without Clifford.
I believe we need a healthy Clifford, for sure, but I believe they are capable of winning there this year.

And Iowa at #2 is beyond ludicrous. Alabama would destroy Iowa. And Texas A&M probably would beat them as well.
Every ranked team will beat Iowa. Their d is so overrated. F them and their loser fans.

Reactions: PSU621
Hard.to say where we stand until we know the status of Clifford. With him we're a top 10 team. Without I think it will be a dogfight to stay ranked through the end of the season.

Of course Alabama will be above us. Rankings are supposed to try and determine the top teams. Both will have one loss. Does anyone think that this PSU team with or with out Clifford is better than Alabama? I'm not saying that on any given day we couldn't beat them, but come on. And YES Bama would destroy Iowa, but Iowa doesn't have a loss yet, so they get the benefit of the doubt.

Move down 1 spot after losing to a unranked team who lost 2 games prior. LOL..

How many spots did Oregon drop losing to Stanford?
It’s not a standings but what is the rankings of who are the best teams. If A plays B on a neutral field who will win? Or who would be favored? Tell me would be favored over Alabama.

Reactions: bison13
It will take care of itself. PSU at #4 was also ludicrous, tbh. We are about as good as Auburn and should be one spot higher than them.
Seriously, these polls are all about click bait. All of these teams will have to play the other top teams in their conference going forward and everything will be settled on the field

Reactions: Obliviax
I don't think this team can hang with Ohio State and I am unsure about Michigan and MSU.

OSU is deadly.

Not sure what you are watching WRT the Michigan schools.

Unless you are talking without SC. In such case, you could be right, but I'd like to see what Yurcich can do with game prep first.

At this point I am assuming SC isn't coming back.

We will beat Illinois. No way Franklin lets us lose to Locksley/MD (their defense is horrible), and I don't know with Rutgers. We probably win that on talent alone.

I don't know if we can beat the others with what we saw yesterday

Neither Michigan school has a defense comparable to Iowa.

So any matchup going forward, that's a minimum of plus 2 for TR.

The offense will have to be changed to suit his skill set. Yurcich did a good job, but Iowa adjusted and started bringing the house on apparent run downs then delay blitzing on obvious passing situations.

Yurcich isn't responsible for the false starts nor the drops nor the field position.

It's a tough game to lose. It can benefit us. Exposed weakness requires repair.

Do you think OSU liked losing to Oregon?

Reactions: kickerinaz
It’s not a standings but what is the rankings of who are the best teams. If A plays B on a neutral field who will win? Or who would be favored? Tell me would be favored over Alabama.
Alabama lost to Texas A&M who scored 10 points vs Colorado. Bama is not great this year.

Alabama lost to Texas A&M who scored 10 points vs Colorado. Bama is not great this year.
Trying to apply the transitive property to compare football teams is useless. It all comes down to matchups and breaks on that given day. Nobody wants to play Alabama and you can bet that will be one POd football team going forward. But, yeah, this Alabama team is nowhere near last year and many of their followers will say it was Saban's best ever

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
OSU is deadly.

Not sure what you are watching WRT the Michigan schools.

Unless you are talking without SC. In such case, you could be right, but I'd like to see what Yurcich can do with game prep first.

Without Clifford, we will struggle against Illinois. The Michigan schools will kill us.

All we are now is a passing team that can’t pass. We have been incredibly exposed in the running game. The Pittsburgh Steelers OL of the mid 70s couldn’t block for this overweight, soft, slow stable of mules we have at RB right now. They are the worst I have seen at Penn State in over half a century.

How are we going to best Ohio State in the Shoe? Clifford or no. Love this team’s guts but that ain’t happening.

True, but as of now we're in 4th place in the BiG East. PSU has a very difficult schedule. Preseason I was predicting 9-3. After beating Wisconsin & Auburn I was predicting 9-2 with a possibility of 10-1 and a shot at the BiG title if we could win at OSU. Now I'm not sure if we can beat Illinois without Clifford.

Our RBs only got 44 yards rushing on 20 carries. This team isn't going to win many games if they can't pass. Strange could have caught two of Roberson's passes but one was high and the other was behind him. Lee made an incredible catch on a pass that was behind him and it might have stopped him from getting the first down. Roberson sailed passes over the heads of wide open Dotson & Brown. His teammates couldn't even hear his snap count. I'm sure he'll improve with experience but I don't see him improving that much this year. He was 7-21 for 34 yards and 2 interceptions. Think about that for a minute. Roberson averaged 1.5 yards per completion.

New prediction is 9-3 if Clifford & Mustipher come back healthy. 8-4 or 7-5 if they can't play.

Last edited:
The Eric McCoo/Omar Easy days are the most comparable. The RBs aren't great right now

McCoo had twice the burst of any of these guys. Heck, I don’t know if these guys can even outrun the linemen blocking for them. Or maybe the just don’t want to. They just dance around waiting for a hole to open up instead of putting their heads down and creating one for themselves.

Still a lot to play for. Worse thing about losing to Iowa is their fans - which were on display last night for everyone to see. Have to hope Clifford can play the brutal stretch of B1G East games we have left. Allar and Singleton will be huge additions next year.

I think we will be lower than that. KU at #8 is silly.

There's no transitive property in football. Did you see how good the A&M QB was playing last night and how amped the crowd was? Very few teams would have won in that environment. Least of all Iowa.

8-4 at best. Six weeks into the season, who is our biggest win? Unranked Auburn? 2-3 Wisconsin?

Alabama hired Bill O'Brien. Potential mistake. He probably spent the last week maneuvering for the USC job as much as he was coaching.

They didn't lose the game last night because of O'Brien. He adjusted to the defensive pressure and outscored A&M in the second half.

Defense just give up too many big plays. And they were rested (at one point, they had 10 snaps in the second half). A&M probably got too conservative with the 2 TD lead, but kudos for pulling it out.

All you guys so sure of a beating… why should they even play the game?
Then they’ll bitch like the world is ending if we lose, especially if it’s close. It will all be the coaches’ fault even though we’re clearly outclassed (according to them).

Then they’ll bitch like the world is ending if we lose, especially if it’s close. It will all be the coaches’ fault even though we’re clearly outclassed (according to them).
No…informed fans understand the game. We are not in O$U’s league…does not mean that we could not pull an upset…but that is highly unlikely. I would expect to lose by 3 scores…if we play hard and smart - like Saturday, I would be thrilled. But it could get ugly with O$U’s offense…

No…informed fans understand the game. We are not in O$U’s league…does not mean that we could not pull an upset…but that is highly unlikely. I would expect to lose by 3 scores…if we play hard and smart - like Saturday, I would be thrilled. But it could get ugly with O$U’s offense…
More concerned with our offense. No running game and if we have to play TR then we may not score or at least not more than 10.

Defense will hang tough but tire.
Probably 28-10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT