ADVERTISEMENT

FC: BigTen Players send message to NCAA....

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

To the NCAA and the Big Ten Conference,

College Athlete Unity (CAU) is going on record to express the concerns of over 1,000 Big Ten football players. CAU members represent 23 different varsity sports at schools in every major conference, as well as across every NCAA division, the NAIA, and U Sport (Canada). CAU seeks to empower collegiate athletes to use their platforms for change. We support the right of all athletes to stand up and speak out.

While we appreciate the Big Ten’s recently announced plan for the upcoming season, we believe that the conference’s proposal falls short in certain areas. Given that the players are the primary stakeholders in the business of college sports, we believe any course of action moving forward needs to include player input. We are deeply disappointed with the lack of leadership demonstrated by the NCAA with respect to player safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. We believe that the NCAA must — on its own and through collaboration with the conference — devise a comprehensive plan to ensure the safety and well-being of players leading up to and during the upcoming fall season.

The NCAA — which is known for its zeal for regulations and enforcement — has had ample time to prepare for the safe return of its athletes to competition, yet it has done nothing. Its laissez-faire approach is forcing each conference and each school to create its own plan, resulting in inconsistent policies, procedures and protocols.

Given that the NCAA and conference leadership have not asked for our input, we feel compelled to call for clarity, commitment, and action regarding our common-sense proposal below.

We have started a dialogue in good faith with the Big Ten and hope that the NCAA will follow suit. Given the short time frame, and with our season at stake, this conversation must happen now.

BIG TEN Unity Proposal
Protecting the Well-Being of All Athletes
Oversight and Transparency
  • Third-party, approved by players, to administer COVID testing and to enforce all COVID-19 health and safety standards
  • Sufficient penalties for noncompliance
  • Mandate for athletics personnel to report suspected violations
Prevention and Safety Protocols
  • Ensure all athletes have up-to-date information about the risks that COVID-19 may pose to their personal health, the health of their families and the health of their communities
  • Adherence to WHO and CDC guidance for sporting events and compliance with all federal, state, and local statutes and regulations
  • Safety standards that are appropriate for each sport
  • Social distancing requirements and mandatory mask-wearing in and around athletic facilities by coaches, staff, players, vendors, press, and visitors
  • Minimum cleaning and sanitation protocols for all uniforms, equipment, and athletic facilities, including visitor locker rooms
  • Temperature checks for anyone entering any athletic facility
Testing, Contact Tracing and Related Procedures
  • Contact-tracing protocols for anyone who comes into contact with college athletes and team personnel who test positive
  • Testing of everyone who comes into contact with college athletes, including coaches, trainers, medical staff, nutrition staff, referees, media, etc.
  • In-season testing of all of the above three days per week
    • Testing twice per week with an FDA-approved test with less than 1% false negatives
    • Additionally, testing on the day of competition (or within 24 hours of competition for each team that can be quarantined) with an FDA-approved test with less than 5% false negatives, with results delivered at least two hours before competition
  • Immediate quarantine of any person who tests positive or exhibits symptoms
  • Quarantine rules for college athletes who test positive, and protocols for their return to practice and competition
  • Objective criteria for shutting down seasons should the pandemic take a turn for the worse or if teams experience significant outbreaks
Player Assurances
  • Whistleblower protections for athletics personnel and college athletes reporting a suspected violation
  • Ban the use of COVID-19 liability waivers
  • Automatic medical redshirt for any player who misses any competitions due to a positive test or a mandatory quarantine due to contact tracing
  • Preserve athletic eligibility, scholarship, and roster spot for any player who opts out of athletic participation or is unable to play more than 40% of their scheduled season due to COVID-19 or season postponement/cancellation
  • Complimentary access to the Big Ten Network for athletes’ family members
Hazard-Related Economic Support
  • Coverage for all out-of-pocket medical expenses related to COVID-19 (both short-term and long-term) incurred by active college athletes
  • Scholarship protections (including room, board and stipend) in the event that the season is canceled due to COVID-19
  • An adjustment to the cost-of-living stipend to account for the increase in personal expenses related to limited access that players have to facilities
  • Reimbursement for stipends that were reduced during the summer
About College Athlete Unity

College Athlete Unity is a member organization of intercollegiate athletes seeking to collectively address injustice and effect positive change using our privilege and considerable platforms. Our members represent 23 different varsity sports at schools in every major conference, as well as across every NCAA division, the NAIA, and U Sport (Canada). Learn more at www.collegeathleteunity.org.

For media contact, please reach out to Hunter Reynolds and Benjamin St-Juste at info@collegeathleteunity.org.

Players of the Big Ten

giphy.gif

Well, since it will be impossible to “ensure the safety” of players with respect to Covid-19 because it’s so infectious, might as well cancel the season. What the players want doesn’t seem to be possible - they’ll be in close contact with teammates, coaches, trainers, players from other teams, and who’s to say a player won’t test false negative and wind up spreading the virus in either practice or a game?

Besides, since they won’t be living in an NHL type bubble, who’s to say when and where a player contracted Covid-19? Sounds like a legal mess awaits the NCAA, the BIG, and other conferences if they go ahead with the season.

Edit: Other than that line - Ensuring the safety...the protocols they want implemented look good and are more than reasonable. If they would be willing to sign a waiver saying they won’t sue if they contract Covid-19, then the season could probably go ahead. But as soon as a player gets it and shows signs of potential long term heart or lung damage, look out.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
Well, since it will be impossible to “ensure the safety” of players with respect to Covid-19 because it’s so infectious, might as well cancel the season. What the players want doesn’t seem to be possible - they’ll be in close contact with teammates, coaches, trainers, players from other teams, and who’s to say a player won’t test false negative and wind up spreading the virus in either practice or a game?

Besides, since they won’t be living in an NHL type bubble, who’s to say when and where a player contracted Covid-19? Sounds like a legal mess awaits the NCAA, the BIG, and other conferences if they go ahead with the season.

When can you ensure the safety of football players? Never

The Big Ten players showed they are smarter than the Pac 12 players. First off, these are much better written and reasonable in most cases. They called it a proposal, not demands. That wins points, it shows they want to discuss and work together.

I particularly enjoyed this part:

The NCAA — which is known for its zeal for regulations and enforcement — has had ample time to prepare for the safe return of its athletes to competition, yet it has done nothing. Its laissez-faire approach is forcing each conference and each school to create its own plan, resulting in inconsistent policies, procedures and protocols.

This is an infinitely more reasonable list of requests when compared to what the players in the PAC 12 are trying to pull. There are only 2 that really grab my attention and that's only because I don't know where these are stemming from.
  • An adjustment to the cost-of-living stipend to account for the increase in personal expenses related to limited access that players have to facilities
Why would players have increased expenses for facility access? Would they not be living on campus like usual? Also, stipends for the summer were reduced? If so, that seems like an odd decision and it's the first I've heard of it.

I particularly enjoyed this part:

Me too. It's both factually accurate and beautifully passive-aggressive.

Edit: Other than that line - Ensuring the safety...the protocols they want implemented look good and are more than reasonable. If they would be willing to sign a waiver saying they won’t sue if they contract Covid-19, then the season could probably go ahead. But as soon as a player gets it and shows signs of potential long term heart or lung damage, look out.
There will be no season.

Looking forward to the fanbase's reaction to this list of very sensible, reasonable, not-at-all-controversial requests by our student-athletes.
I agree...directionally, very reasonable. But there may be devils in the details. For example, WHO and CDC guidelines are different. You cannot comply with "both". Other requests are pretty general. But I certainly respect their points of view and support them.

This is an infinitely more reasonable list of requests when compared to what the players in the PAC 12 are trying to pull. There are only 2 that really grab my attention and that's only because I don't know where these are stemming from.
Why would players have increased expenses for facility access? Would they not be living on campus like usual? Also, stipends for the summer were reduced? If so, that seems like an odd decision and it's the first I've heard of it.

I think they are going for this as they don't have unlimited access to the food in the football buildings are they are only allowed in the buildings for activities versus anytime access. That forces them to spend their cost of attendance dollars on food, etc. when they typically would be able to get it in the building. As for summer, these buildings were closed forcing them to spend their cost of attendance dollars or their own money.

Reactions: step.eng69
Parents of public school students ought to open a similar dialogue with the people who want to open schools.
no problem with "dialogue" but a totally different set of circumstances in terms of facilities, resources, etc. In many cases, kids are being hurt by NOT being able to go to school. The players are not in that same situation. For example, they will live on campus so exposure outside the team can be managed. Schools, not so much. They have resources, public schools not so much. Kids and families can be harmed by NOT attending public school, college kids won't be harmed by not playing football this year (associated businesses may be). Etc.

The problems continue to mount.

It seems the day of reckoning for college football is coming soon.

As fans we may have to choose between 1.whether we can take a model with pay for play, player unions, and an abandonment of any pretense to academic priority, or 2. a more Ivy League model with a clear student/athlete focus, with players sacrificing pay and professional standards for a tuition and academic based compensation?

Maybe it is time to choose what you are willing to support.

Last edited:
I mean why would the players not trust their schools to keep things on the up and up about the Covid testing and prevention and so forth?

I mean it is not like these schools medical training staff have ever shot up a player to get them back into a game, or down played an injury to keep them playing, or told them they are not really hurt all that bad and can finish out the season....

Oh wait, they get told those things all the time!

The problems continue to mount.

It seems the day of reckoning for college football is coming soon.

As fans we may have to choose between 1.whether we can take a model with pay for play, player unions, and an abandonment of any presence to academic priority, or 2. a more Ivy League model with a clear student/athlete focus, with players sacrificing pay and professional standards for a tuition and academic based compensation?

Maybe it is time to choose what you are willing to support.

maybe I missed it but these "demands" aren't for money or compensation just reasonable measures to made sure they are considered for the additional risks associated with playing in a pandemic.

to your greater point about college sports, there is a ton to unpack. the NFL, NFL Players Association and various law pertaining to collective bargaining, Unions and monopolies come into play. today, if you are a rising soph, you have no choice except to A play for a college B don't play at all

Just imagine how advanced our modern society would be if the ancient gladiators had been able to slip a petition of safety demands past the Roman Senate.

Release them all from their scholarship and find players who want to play.

maybe I missed it but these "demands" aren't for money all

I neither called them “demands” nor said they were out for money. That is coming.

This is obviously an attempt to provide player representation, a step toward unionization. With monetary compensation and the end of the system on the table already everyone knows that college football as we know it is not long for this world.

I neither called them “demands” nor said they were out for money. That is coming.

This is obviously an attempt to provide player representation, a step toward unionization. With monetary compensation and the end of the system on the table already everyone knows that college football as we know it is not long for this world.
I see....a gateway to what we all know is coming. I find their requests reasonable, and as someone already posted, most are already in place or committed to. But I get what you are saying, once this goes through, what is next?

There are 780 million reason why the BIG WILL be playing football this year and health be damned, this isn't going to stop them from trying...

The B1G led the way, reporting more than $780 million in revenue for the year. It was nearly $60 million more than the SEC, which received approximately $721 million in revenue. Berkowitz discovered the information based on tax returns. For the 2019 fiscal year, the B1G's actual total was $781.5 million

Reactions: JoeBot409
CAU has been in existence for about 30 days. They infer they have 1000s of "members" from 23 varsity sports, yet they only have 488 Twitter followers. It doesn't jive.

CAU has been in existence for about 30 days. They infer they have 1000s of "members" from 23 varsity sports, yet they only have 488 Twitter followers. It doesn't jive.
After what we saw with Washington State this week, do you really think players are going to be eager to outwardly advertise their affiliation with groups like these?

If that was sent to the appropriate people in the b1g weeks ago, I am fine with it. If this is the first time anyone in the world is seeing it, I am not ok with it.

why instead of the AAFL or the XFL doesn't someone come out with a league that is structured for 18-22 year olds that have no interest in college? Let them start getting paid, although not much, and after 3 years they become draft eligible.

If they don't get drafted they can then decided to go be a regular student on their own dime.

Reactions: GastonLion
After what we saw with Washington State this week, do you really think players are going to be eager to outwardly advertise their affiliation with groups like these?
Then these these groups are just paper dolls. Without open support, these groups have no substantial credibility or weight behind them.

why instead of the AAFL or the XFL doesn't someone come out with a league that is structured for 18-22 year olds that have no interest in college? Let them start getting paid, although not much, and after 3 years they become draft eligible.

If they don't get drafted they can then decided to go be a regular student on their own dime.

Totally agree. If you want to play in the "college league" you get tuition, room and board and a small stipend. Blow up the NCAA and start over with a oversight body. Let the NFL owners, with their billion dollar check books start a developmental league for those who have no higher education aspirations. Problem solved. If 20% of the elite college players today left the game, I would still be rooting for the blue and white regardless of the quality of the game. I think most college fans feel the same way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT