ADVERTISEMENT

F.B.I. uncovers college entrance exam scam

well, that was the deal. You tell me why. Kid got into USC or whatever, coach paid off to have them walk onto the rowing team, kid doesn't show up or really participate in any meaningful way.

Why was the coach and team involved? Appears to me the coach, somehow, got the kid into the school but no 'ship was given.

Coaches' earmarks aren't limited to scholarship players. At Yale and Penn there are none.

Reactions: Obliviax
That and these schools, like virtually all others, have majors that are easier and some that are more difficult. Further, everyone knows the profs to avoid if one is allergic to work.

Maynard? Wow, a first Dobey Gillis reference I've seen in quite some time.

My kid is going to graduate from Notre Dame.

2wuArFGq_400x400.png

Play football too!

9036241-large.jpg

well, that was the deal. You tell me why. Kid got into USC or whatever, coach paid off to have them walk onto the rowing team, kid doesn't show up or really participate in any meaningful way.

Why was the coach and team involved? Appears to me the coach, somehow, got the kid into the school but no 'ship was given.

I would say USC has a different twist to it, as it was the Assistant AD that was hoarding the cash. Quite possible either of the rowing coaches- that covered the Loughlin timeframe- were not implicated and possibly had no knowledge. I mean if I were a coach and some assistant AD said take these two on your team I would be like and you rowed for who?

I would say USC has a different twist to it, as it was the Assistant AD that was hoarding the cash. Quite possible either of the rowing coaches- that covered the Loughlin timeframe- were not implicated and possibly had no knowledge. I mean if I were a coach and some assistant AD said take these two on your team I would be like and you rowed for who?
for whom...if we are being pedantic today.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I sympathize with the coaches. Celebrity girl shows up, doesn't know which direction to face on the sculling boat...then never shows up again but is listed on the "team". What do you do?

Yeah, I sympathize with the coaches. Celebrity girl shows up, doesn't know which direction to face on the sculling boat...then never shows up again but is listed on the "team". What do you do?

They don't scull in NCAA (women's) rowing, Fours and eights.:oops:

Well that was the point of my post yesterday about rowing and how in most cases the coaches are looking for bodies..mostly not for the starting squad..but to help fufill the title IX numbers.

I see it quite possible the ASS AD made the call and pulled the strings to get the two in and said ---hey lets use rowing our coaches are floundering trying to meet our quotas for football so I'll just tell the parents to have the girls go out for rowing, if the coach takes them to meet his number great, (two birds one stone) if not its up to him to get someone else either way I just pocketed 100k

Don’t try to throw me into your “cause”.

Use your words. Stop playing this childish game of "Guess the number I'm thinking, and if you don't, you're a dumb dumb." Be a big boy and state what "demographic [is] involved in this fiasco."

Otherwise, it's old, rich, white people.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Well that was the point of my post yesterday about rowing and how in most cases the coaches are looking for bodies..mostly not for the starting squad..but to help fufill the title IX numbers.

I see it quite possible the ASS AD made the call and pulled the strings to get the two in and said ---hey lets use rowing our coaches are floundering trying to meet our quotas for football so I'll just tell the parents to have the girls go out for rowing, if the coach takes them to meet his number great, (two birds one stone) if not its up to him to get someone else either way I just pocketed 100k
Think about how sad that is. So some girl shows up who has a major modeling contract and is the daughter of a TV Star and a world renowned and multi-millionaire designer. She hangs out on the chairman's yacht for spring break. Yet, someplace deep in the bowels of the library, is some greasy haired girl trying to get by on food stamps, college loans and part time jobs. This girl is working the drive up at Wendy's during spring break so she'll have money for books for the summer semester.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrurock and Ski
Did you see where the younger one was when the news broke? Billionaire USC board of trustees member yacht. Seriously WTF with these people. USC is a joke

Reactions: Ski
Think about how sad that is. So some girl shows up who has a major modeling contract and is the daughter of a TV Star and a world renowned and multi-millionaire designer. She hangs out on the chairman's yacht for spring break. Yet, someplace deep in the bowels of the library, is some greasy haired girl trying to get by on food stamps, college loans and part time jobs. This girl is working the drive up at Wendy's during spring break so she'll have money for books for the summer semester.

Not exactly the same thing, but you can draw some very interesting conclusions - trending on twitter now are stories of poor (mostly minority) women who were jailed and fined for sending their kids to public schools in districts they didn't live in. I mean - JAILED AND FINED.

And there's this:

Maybe they used rowing because that's the largest female squad.

Keep in mind that unless they stay on the team they don't count toward the Title IX numbers. And given the way rowers train....let's just say it's not for everyone.

Maybe they used rowing because that's the largest female squad.

Keep in mind that unless they stay on the team they don't count toward the Title IX numbers. And given the way rowers train....let's just say it's not for everyone.
right but if they satisfied title IX it would have been a bonus in the mind of the AD, and since rowing has large numbers well its a "Plan Stan" that might work.

But like I said all that mattered to the family apparently was getting into USC-- by any means-- which would include saying they are rowers for admissions reasons(which you pointed out earlier are not verifying that aspect, but possibly going on the word of the AD to relax the standards a smige, and would also include the girls attending a tryout since after all rowing coaches are usually looking for bodies for both team and title IX quotas issued by....... the AD department. In either end scenario the AD got her payday the parents got their kids into SC but its not clear the Rowing team got their bodies but hey they can always find more bodies willing to row for king and country ...oops sorry for good ole SC

right but if they satisfied title IX it would have been a bonus in the mind of the AD, and since rowing has large numbers well its a "Plan Stan" that might work.

But like I said all that mattered to the family apparently was getting into USC-- by any means-- which would include saying they are rowers for admissions reasons(which you pointed out earlier are not verifying that aspect, but possibly going on the word of the AD to relax the standards a smige, and would also include the girls attending a tryout since after all rowing coaches are usually looking for bodies for both team and title IX quotas issued by....... the AD department. In either end scenario the AD got her payday the parents got their kids into SC but its not clear the Rowing team got their bodies but hey they can always find more bodies willing to row for king and country ...oops sorry for good ole SC

Sorry, my friend, but Olivia Jade ain't never pulling no oar: Besides, it will ruin her manicure

87f0ff3b5bba02b422c7a28d8240c2af

Sorry, my friend, but Olivia Jade ain't never pulling no oar: Besides, it will ruin her manicure

87f0ff3b5bba02b422c7a28d8240c2af

totally agree I believe the parents probably wished that as well it was just enough to be crew recruits apparently ---- that assistant AD is a real piece of work

Did you see where the younger one was when the news broke? Billionaire USC board of trustees member yacht. Seriously WTF with these people. USC is a joke

I saw that. What are the chances your daughter enters a school the size of USC and suddenly becomes best friends with the daughter of a USC board member? :rolleyes:

Apparently both daughters have returned home and dropped out of USC to ‘avoid the bullying’.

Go to the link below and watch the video titled "What Lori Loughlin's daughter said before attending USC". Has she been expelled?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/14/us/college-admission-cheating-students/index.html

I think people are piling on now, to make a buck. 90% of kids going to college would have said the exact same thing. I don't know how much she knew and participated. But we all know this has gone on, and will go on, for decades. I personally know lots of dads who got their kids into colleges with connections. Why they had to pay someone off, I have no idea. It was probably considered easy and discrete. But W H Macy could have walked into the admissions office, gave some autographs and photos and asked to get her girl in. If her SAT's were zero they'd have let her in.

Personally a clip from CNN is particularly troubling. Their two headliners are a Vanderbilt and a Cuomo.

Yes. Having fun and being a serious student are not mutually exclusive.

Have you actually spoken to a college student lately?
She had a single youtube comment spiced and diced by a network who features a Vanderbilt and a Cuomo.

sorry, I am not going to condemn an 18 year old for saying something stupid. If we did that to all 18 year olds, we'd condemn all of them.

She had a single youtube comment spiced and diced by a network who features a Vanderbilt and a Cuomo.

sorry, I am not going to condemn an 18 year old for saying something stupid. If we did that to all 18 year olds, we'd condemn all of them.

She ought to be smart enough to know that posting such a video only makes her look bad, even had their been no admissions scandal. In light of the admissions scandal, it only makes her look worse. One should not excuse it away with unfounded 90% assertions or by deflecting to the news outlet that posted the video.

This isn't about other students. It isn't about cnn. It's about a coddled rich kid caught up in an admissions scandal who chose to post a video, before going to college, stating that she had no real interest in going to college. She's an idiot and deserves all the negative attention she gets.

Last edited:

This ability for people and the media to attack kids... and granted she was 18 when she wrote this, so not technically a child, is amazing.

Kids do and say stupid things. And they learn from them. That's called growing up. Condemning them hurts that process.

LdN

Reactions: Obliviax
She ought to be smart enough to know that posting such a video only makes her look bad, even had their been no admissions scandal. In light of the admissions scandal, it only makes her look worse. One should not excuse it away with unfounded 90% assertions or by deflecting to the news outlet that posted the video.

This isn't about other students. It isn't about cnn. It's about a coddled rich kid caught up in admissions scandal who chose to post a video, before going to college, stating that she had no real interest in going to college. She's an idiot and deserve all the negative attention she gets.

So kids don't post about wanting to party? BTW, she was and is making a ton of dough posting videos on Youtube. She's parlayed her online persona into a business like the Kardashians.

I have zero sympathy for her parents. And, if she was part of the scheme, I don't have any sympathy for her either. But most 18 year olds don't understand money and influence. Hell, I read today that ADULTS in high positions are suggesting (somehow) that we magically wipe out $1.5T in student load debt. My God, the lunacy.

Nice attempt at deflection but you you'll need to walk back your quote.

"90% of kids going to college would have said the exact same thing."

This is simply not true. Not even close to true.

I do think they should keep the kids out of it but with that being said I find it hard to believe that most if not all knew their parents were cheating - gee why do I now have a disability and get extra time to take the ACT? Or - gee how did my SAT Score get on my application, funny I don't recall taking the test?

Nice attempt at deflection but you you'll need to walk back your quote.

"90% of kids going to college would have said the exact same thing."

This is simply not true. Not even close to true.
I didn't deflect at all. I am very comfortable with my comment. If you ask 18 year old kids about being excited to go to college and party, 90%+ would say yes. Matter of fact, there is a popular commercial where the parents talk about being able to visit their kid to make sure he isn't too homesick his Fr year. In the meantime, he's checking out the chicks while riding through campus talking about it being a big party. Everyone gets a good laugh out of it.

I didn't deflect at all. I am very comfortable with my comment. If you ask 18 year old kids about being excited to go to college and party, 90%+ would say yes. Matter of fact, there is a popular commercial where the parents talk about being able to visit their kid to make sure he isn't too homesick his Fr year. In the meantime, he's checking out the chicks while riding through campus talking about it being a big party. Everyone gets a good laugh out of it.
You stated that "90% of kids going to college would have said the exact same thing."

Below is what SHE said in her video that SHE posted on her own Instagram:

"I don't know how much of school I'm going to attend but I'm going to go in and talk to my Dean's and everyone and hope that I can balance it all, but I do want the experience of things like game days, partying...I don't really care about school"

You are attempting to lump 90% of kids into the above? She actually thinks that she can go in and speak to the Dean about not attending class? What kind of person would even dream of such nonsense.

You are wrong, just admit it and move on.

You stated that "90% of kids going to college would have said the exact same thing."

Below is what SHE said in her video that SHE posted on her own Instagram:

"I don't know how much of school I'm going to attend but I'm going to go in and talk to my Dean's and everyone and hope that I can balance it all, but I do want the experience of things like game days, partying...I don't really care about school"

You are attempting to lump 90% of kids into the above? She actually thinks that she can go in and speak to the Dean about not attending class? What kind of person would even dream of such nonsense.

You are wrong, just admit it and move on.
Again, it is a throw away line in a video. If you are going to condemn every kid for saying something like that, you are condemning 90% of them. And, I stand by 90% of kids saying that. I didn't say, as it appears you may be suggesting, that they say that repeatedly. But I think 90% of kids said that at least once their Sr year in high school leading up to college. But most kids are not sliced and diced by the Vanderbilts and Cuomos for revenue gain

Last edited:
Who cares what she said. What I know is she is a child of a celebrity who was cashing in on it via social media. Good for her. Problem for her now is the gravy train just crashed, her appeal on social media is greatly diminished, Mom and Dad are probably going to prison for a few years...now it gets interesting, she is going to have to learn how make an honest living and who knows what exactly her academic credentials are. Good luck to her, life just got a whole lot harder for her.

You seem to have a difficult time admitting you are wrong. It's ok, just say that now that you've read what she posted in a video she made that you were wrong in lumping 90% of kids into that Idiots category.

You'll feel better, just say "I was wrong".
I am comfortable with my position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT