ADVERTISEMENT

Undrafted players return to college?

voltz99

Sep 25, 2015
If college players are already getting paid then shouldn't players who go undrafted or drafted too low be able to return to college?

If a player wanted to return I don't see how the NCAA could stop them when college players are already getting paid.

If college players are already getting paid then shouldn't players who go undrafted or drafted too low be able to return to college?

If a player wanted to return I don't see how the NCAA could stop them when college players are already getting paid.
Until someone takes the NCAA to court to try and prove that the current rule should be illegal/unenforcible, then it’s the rule (so the NCAA could easily stop them).

Someone like Johnny Dixon (any player situation such as) should be allowed to come back....
A guy that declares
Then subsequently gets injured
Can't work out for scouts or teams
Potential draft position suffers
Why not let a kid like this come back for a year to get his $hit in order to better position himself for the future?
Why not?
He's a 22 year old kid.
He could help the team and the team could help him.
Stop forcing people into boxes.
It's so ridiculous.

Someone like Johnny Dixon (any player situation such as) should be allowed to come back....
A guy that declares
Why not let a kid like this come back for a year to get his $hit in order to better position himself for the future?
Why not?
He's a 22 year old kid.
It's so ridiculous.
22 is not a kid.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
A guy that declares
Why not?
He's a 22 year old kid.
It's so ridiculous.
So he returns for another season, and then proceeds to skip another bowl game or others? How do you think current yr teammates would feel about that? Actually, since it seems to be an epidemic unfortunately, most probably wouldn't give a crap -- which is an even bigger problem.

So he returns for another season, and then proceeds to skip another bowl game or others? How do you think current yr teammates would feel about that? Actually, since it seems to be an epidemic unfortunately, most probably wouldn't give a crap -- which is an even bigger problem.
I don't know, why don't you ask them if you're so interested. I bet you'd be surprised by their answers.
Why do people care about end of the season exhibition games? A non-playoff bowl game is less than the equivalent of a non-conference patsy game.
I'd rather see a non-playoff bowl game be a harbinger of the season to come, not the season that passed. Let's see how the guys who have been putting in the work for years but haven't had the opportunity look.

I don't know, why don't you ask them if you're so interested. I bet you'd be surprised by their answers.
Why do people care about end of the season exhibition games? A non-playoff bowl game is less than the equivalent of a non-conference patsy game.
I'd rather see a non-playoff bowl game be a harbinger of the season to come, not the season that passed. Let's see how the guys who have been putting in the work for years but haven't had the opportunity look.
LOL...why don't I ask them? Ok yeah that is possible. So, what if (because it is nearly a certainty it will happen), guys from various teams sit out playoff games, would you be ok with that?

To say a NY6 bowl game is meaningless is dumb. So, then the Rose Bowl, Fiesta, etc., mean nothing. Tell that to the alumni, donors, coaches, who put a ton into this. They aren't using that game solely as a springboard and as a test of the inexperienced guys who don't play. The win is the focus. Maybe it means nothing to you, but why don't you ask most alums, especially those that remember the era when all games meant something, what they think?

LOL...why don't I ask them? Ok yeah that is possible. So, what if (because it is nearly a certainty it will happen), guys from various teams sit out playoff games, would you be ok with that?
Fantasy world.
Nobody is going to sit out a game that actually means something.
That's why they play.
Of course you could ask them. I know what they'd say. They'd support their teammates and wish they were in the same position. Why is that so hard for fans "fanatics" to understand.

Fantasy world.
Nobody is going to sit out a game that actually means something.
That's why they play.
Of course you could ask them. I know what they'd say. They'd support their teammates and wish they were in the same position. Why is that so hard for fans "fanatics" to understand.
"fanatics." You always try and clown everyone on here with your namecalling and such strong-willed takes. It's a message board. Drink some tea and relax.

"fanatics." You always try and clown everyone on here with your namecalling and such strong-willed takes. It's a message board. Drink some tea and relax.
Don't get upset that you live a fantasy world where players are opting out of playoff games.
That's on you.

Ok, sir. You are a juvenile blowhard a**hole, now on mute.
No person has ever opted out of a playoff game....A real bowl game. Many have opted out of the post season exhibition games.
So your train of thought falls under, imagination.

"We suffer more often in imagination than in reality"
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

No person has ever opted out of a playoff game....A real bowl game. Many have opted out of the post season exhibition games.
So your train of thought falls under, imagination.

"We suffer more often in imagination than in reality"
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
None yet.

But probably will soon. If you are a super star QB on the 12th rated team with no realistic chance of winning a natty and projected to be a Top Five NFL draft pick…..someone in this category will opt out to protect a $25 million+ contract.

It is inevitable.

Last edited:
22 is not a minor, certainly a kid.
My oldest is 22...he's not a kid. Kids, to me, have lower standards as to what one expects with their decision making. At 22 you should have considered everything knowing what options exist. To each their own, I just don't understand coddling adults. I think people should be more willing to help out young adults, early to mid-20s, especially financially to help succeed bit their decisions are their own and if they make a bad one there's consequences.

None yet.

But probably will soon. If you are a super star QB on the 12th rated team with no Chan e of winning a natty and projected to be a Top Five NFL draft pick…..someone in this category will opt out to protect a $25 million+ contract.

It is inevitable.
It's not...players want to win titles. They know what bowls are even if fans don't.

To say a NY6 bowl game is meaningless is dumb. So, then the Rose Bowl, Fiesta, etc., mean nothing. Tell that to the alumni, donors, coaches, who put a ton into this. They aren't using that game solely as a springboard and as a test of the inexperienced guys who don't play. The win is the focus. Maybe it means nothing to you, but why don't you ask most alums, especially those that remember the era when all games meant something, what they think?
This might be the dumbest post of all time on here. And that's impressive.
There was never a time when all games meant something. It's just value you create that doesn't exist.

Do not force players into boxes!
raw

22 is not a minor, certainly a kid.
There was indeed a huge difference between the 22 year old college idiot who took an "extra football season" to graduate b/c I enjoyed the bars and had a Junior girlfriend, and the soon to be 25 year old young business exec who met his future wife in the airport. My bride would not have even talked to the 22 year old me- so I'd agree there is a "kid" still in most men at that age.

Yesterday while watching Carolina vs NC State I dug some stats for the Guard Cormac Ryan of the Heels. Dude has:

- graduated from a select private high school in NYC
- did a grad prep year at a basketball academy in Massachusetts
- committed and played 1 year at Stanford
- transferred and played 4 years at ND
- is now playing Covid year at UNC

Dude is 7 years removed from high school graduation and still playing undergraduate sports.

"College" sports are a joke. NIL, unlimited movement, commitments/ decommitments/recommitments etc.

I'm tiring of it all.....

I agree they should be able to.

There was indeed a huge difference between the 22 year old college idiot who took an "extra football season" to graduate b/c I enjoyed the bars and had a Junior girlfriend, and the soon to be 25 year old young business exec who met his future wife in the airport. My bride would not have even talked to the 22 year old me- so I'd agree there is a "kid" still in most men at that age.

Yesterday while watching Carolina vs NC State I dug some stats for the Guard Cormac Ryan of the Heels. Dude has:

- graduated from a select private high school in NYC
- did a grad prep year at a basketball academy in Massachusetts
- committed and played 1 year at Stanford
- transferred and played 4 years at ND
- is now playing Covid year at UNC

Dude is 7 years removed from high school graduation and still playing undergraduate sports.

"College" sports are a joke. NIL, unlimited movement, commitments/ decommitments/recommitments etc.

I'm tiring of it all.....
He shoulda done four years in the military first. Then he could stay in college until he was 31 !

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
How about this ridiculous situation, which I’m certain will eventually occur.
A player leaves early and actually makes an NFL team and plays for a few years. Then is cut, and not picked up by anyone else, but he has a year or two of college eligibility left, and is a little short on cash. Given the gutless nature of the NCAA that might be allowed. Especially if he hasn’t graduated, because it’s all about the student athlete.

How about this ridiculous situation, which I’m certain will eventually occur.
A player leaves early and actually makes an NFL team and plays for a few years. Then is cut, and not picked up by anyone else, but he has a year or two of college eligibility left, and is a little short on cash. Given the gutless nature of the NCAA that might be allowed. Especially if he hasn’t graduated, because it’s all about the student athlete.
You’d need courts to overturn several rules to make that happen….but if they do, then not much the NCAA can do about it.

Until someone takes the NCAA to court to try and prove that the current rule should be illegal/unenforcible, then it’s the rule (so the NCAA could easily stop them).
The NCAA should do the right thing and rescind the rule, without forcing someone to sue and go through the time and expense.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
The NCAA should do the right thing and rescind the rule, without forcing someone to sue and go through the time and expense.
I've got no issues with the rule, and think it's a good thing. For every player that decides to come back at the 11th hour, it's a player that needs to be "processed" to free up the scholarship for that guy. As long as we've got an 85 scholarship limit, coaches need some ability to manage it. If there is no downside to putting your name in the draft and declaring, then it becomes a disaster to try and manage a roster having no idea who is coming or going (granted, it's bad enough already).

I've got no issues with the rule, and think it's a good thing. For every player that decides to come back at the 11th hour, it's a player that needs to be "processed" to free up the scholarship for that guy. As long as we've got an 85 scholarship limit, coaches need some ability to manage it. If there is no downside to putting your name in the draft and declaring, then it becomes a disaster to try and manage a roster having no idea who is coming or going (granted, it's bad enough already).
Then no scholarship limits. Title IX be damned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT