ADVERTISEMENT

F.B.I. uncovers college entrance exam scam

Just so I'm clear on this, the girl is friends with the daughter of the Chairman of USC's BOT and her parents STILL had to pay half a million to get someone to consider them crew recruits. I guess USC IS hard to get into.

Obviously the chairman of the bot is a man of the highest ethical standards.

I love it. These Stanford students are now victims because they believe a Stanford degree has been devalued.

Question: Now that these two students have suffered many hardships, when will they enter the transfer portal?
I am all for it. clearly, Stanford and these schools were all in. They knew and know what is going on. The lie to our faces that admissions are merit based. I hope they pay a steep enough price to review their policies, create openness, establish accountability and make life better for everyone.

There was a time when I believed that people who earned their money ought to be able to keep it. I was against the inheritance tax stuff, even though I will receive no inheritance to speak of, unless it is debt. However, I am so disgusted by the behavior and sense of entitlement of the super-wealthy that I am ready to jump on-board the Bernie train. Something has got to change in this country, because right now we are not all equal citizens.
Don't agree at all. Want to level the playing field, enforce the law. Many of the extremely wealthy have broken many laws to get that way. Take Insider trading for example, many in congress benefit from this. Look at large corporations, they rip off the customer through various fraud schemes and they are fined, nobody goes to jail. How many cheat on their taxes or lie on mortgage applications.

The Hollywood types are the best, they tell everyone how to live and yet they literally sleep their way to stardom, bribe officials to get their average IQ kids into elite colleges.

Anybody wonder how our congress critters are so rich? There salary is around $175K (obviously very good) and somehow they become millionaires. Pretty tough to do without help when you have to maintain two residences.

I am all for it. clearly, Stanford and these schools were all in. They knew and know what is going on. The lie to our faces that admissions are merit based. I hope they pay a steep enough price to review their policies, create openness, establish accountability and make life better for everyone.

Maybe we should thank our bot for November 2011 and the aftermath. Had they kept Penn State on the previous trajectory, we might have been part of this. Thankfully we are...awful.

:eek:

Going forward, every admissions officer handling applications earmarked by the football coach will have to check the Rivals database to insure the applicant's bona fides. And if the kid ain't a four-star? Well, that seals it then, don't it?

How much would it take to get Mike Farrell to create a fictitious profile on Rivals? For a four-star, $5k. Five-star, $10k plus a dozen roles of yellow tape.

Going forward, every admissions officer handling applications earmarked by the football coach will have to check the Rivals database to insure the applicant's bona fides. And if the kid ain't a four-star? Well, that seals it then, don't it?

How much would it take to get Mike Farrell to create a fictitious profile on Rivals? For a four-star, $5k. Five-star, $10k plus a dozen roles of yellow tape.
Excellent. Football, as a specific example, is win or be fired. I doubt that is similar to the UCS Woman's Crew team. All I ask is that a scholarship be given and that 'ship be available to see who and why they were given a 'ship. Then, a process established if someone who has never rowed in her life be awarded a scholarship can be challenged by another person. Let the coach and school defend their decision. Then, if the school takes any federal money, the courts are always available as plan C. I am all for it.

Well, someone just upped the ante:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-college-admissions-scandal-sparks-140840146.html

Lady must fervently believe that her kid's shit don't stink or, at least, didn't start to stink until the little precious was rejected by Stanford.
Excellent....trust the process...
tenor.gif

Don't agree at all. Want to level the playing field, enforce the law. Many of the extremely wealthy have broken many laws to get that way. Take Insider trading for example, many in congress benefit from this. Look at large corporations, they rip off the customer through various fraud schemes and they are fined, nobody goes to jail. How many cheat on their taxes or lie on mortgage applications.

The Hollywood types are the best, they tell everyone how to live and yet they literally sleep their way to stardom, bribe officials to get their average IQ kids into elite colleges.

Anybody wonder how our congress critters are so rich? There salary is around $175K (obviously very good) and somehow they become millionaires. Pretty tough to do without help when you have to maintain two residences.

In some ways Madoff blew the cover off this whole insider trading thing. Most of his victims "knew" he was dealing on the inside. That's the only way his returns made sense. Yet when it turned out he was fake insider dealing they were suddenly victims.

But, regarding cheating in general. Almost all of our society does it. And in my opinion those who do it more aren't very wealthy. There's a certain amount of honesty required to get to the highest levels. Even politicians who we view as constant liars.

LdN

And there's nothing wrong with state schools and STEM majors.

We'll see. But my guess is it all amounts to a big nothing burger.
(aside from the handful of lazy, greedy doofuses who got fired - or will get fired)

People in this country are totally fvcked up. What do they want? Say the band director needs a clarinetist. He flags some kid's application. What's the new procedure? Have the kid truck up to campus with his clarinet and play for the admissions officer? How does the admissions officer know that the kid isn't a ringer? Photo ID? How does he know that the ID isn't a forgery?

We're talking about dozens of cheaters in this scheme. Overall, how many kids cheat to get into the college of their choice? Hundreds? Maybe a few thousand? Out of millions that enter every year. Yeah, but everywhere there are kids who are devastated that others are unfairly taking the slots that are rightfully theirs. Got news for you fvcking snowflakes. For every one of you, there are a couple of dozen other kids who think you are sitting in the spot that they deserve. So get on with your life or fvck off. Actually, I don't care whether you get on with your life, just fvck off.

There was a time when I believed that people who earned their money ought to be able to keep it. I was against the inheritance tax stuff

I'm just like you on the above. It's becoming increasingly clear how having money makes you more powerful and in way too many circumstances above the law.

Don't agree at all. Want to level the playing field, enforce the law. Many of the extremely wealthy have broken many laws to get that way.

See above. It's really hard to enforce the law when those trusted to enforce the law can be easily bribed. As you said, many of the extremely wealthy have broken many laws to get that way. No kidding. How do you think they were able to get away with it though?

Actually, when he retired, Harry Reid had 5 homes.

I'm all for enforcing existing laws. But there's no point in believing that this will happen all of a sudden. It's been going on forever, except that nobody really knew it, and it's gotten worse. Lawsuits won't help, since all of the judges are biased beyond belief anyhow, as Mr. Manafort has shown us. It's time to tax the shit out of the top .1 of the top 1%. You simply can't get that much money in a couple of generations unless you are stealing it from somebody else.

Reactions: MJG-90
Actually, when he retired, Harry Reid had 5 homes.

I'm all for enforcing existing laws. But there's no point in believing that this will happen all of a sudden. It's been going on forever, except that nobody really knew it, and it's gotten worse. Lawsuits won't help, since all of the judges are biased beyond belief anyhow, as Mr. Manafort has shown us. It's time to tax the shit out of the top .1 of the top 1%. You simply can't get that much money in a couple of generations unless you are stealing it from somebody else.
So you're calling for more laws because rich and powerful people who can afford the best lawyers somehow avoid prosecution and consequences with our current laws?

Reactions: Lyons212
So you're calling for more laws because rich and powerful people who can afford the best lawyers somehow avoid prosecution and consequences with our current laws?

I think he's calling for more taxes because the laws aren't working.

Reactions: Ski
Stay tuned, I have a sneaky suspicion that the athletics angle of this is far more prevalent than you think.
Reminds me of High school. Our conference had badminton as a sport. This was a box check for the girls that couldn't chew gum while walking, but needed to show that they participated in a sport or other extra curricular activity to get into the college of their choice. Anyway, many immigrants with some athletic ability started playing badminton. The chewing gum challenged "athletes" either went straight to the bench or didn't make the team. I guess there is always the chess team...

With that said, I guess this has always existed in some form.

Just so I'm clear on this, the girl is friends with the daughter of the Chairman of USC's BOT and her parents STILL had to pay half a million to get someone to consider them crew recruits. I guess USC IS hard to get into.
or the kids are that stoopid. Good god that video of her was a train wreck

People in this country are totally fvcked up. What do they want? Say the band director needs a clarinetist. He flags some kid's application. What's the new procedure? Have the kid truck up to campus with his clarinet and play for the admissions officer? How does the admissions officer know that the kid isn't a ringer? Photo ID? How does he know that the ID isn't a forgery?

We're talking about dozens of cheaters in this scheme. Overall, how many kids cheat to get into the college of their choice? Hundreds? Maybe a few thousand? Out of millions that enter every year. Yeah, but everywhere there are kids who are devastated that others are unfairly taking the slots that are rightfully theirs. Got news for you fvcking snowflakes. For every one of you, there are a couple of dozen other kids who think you are sitting in the spot that they deserve. So get on with your life or fvck off. Actually, I don't care whether you get on with your life, just fvck off.

Well yep in the grand scheme the amounts that do this are de minimis but here is an interesting article that does point out either some expectation or entitlement abounds specifically among the wealthy

https://quillette.com/2019/03/13/standardized-testing-and-meritocracy/

"If rich people could just spend their way to high test scores, then they wouldn’t be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to bribe their way into elite schools"

Last edited:
Well.....

Zoe Kazan did a WONDERFUL job there - - - - - of proving to the world that she is an utter dipshit. :)

Other than that - the Author took on about a micrometer deep "analysis" of some data that anyone who can fog a mirror already knows

I would argue that many that can fog a mirror need to be reminded, by way of a simplistic example, on how to interpret data

That FBI is on the ball. The guy who is one of the key players wrote a book about cheating to get into college.

PS. There are plenty of FBI agents who got the same help getting into the FBI.

Reactions: Lionsfan1000
LOL

As Lori Loughlin traveled from Vancouver to L.A. Tuesday night to surrender to federal authorities in the college bribery scandal -- which got her daughter, Olivia Jade, into USC -- Olivia spent the night on the yacht of the Chairman of USC's Board of Trustees ... but she's off the boat now, TMZ has learned.

We've learned 19-year-old Olivia was on Rick Caruso's yacht in the Bahamas. Caruso's daughter, Gianna, Olivia and several other friends were spending spring break in the area.

Gianna and Olivia have been friends for quite some time, occasionally posting photos of them together on social media.

Caruso, a billionaire who has major real estate holdings including The Grove in L.A., tells TMZ, "My daughter and a group of students left for spring break prior to the government's announcement yesterday. Once we became aware of the investigation, the young woman decided it would be in her best interests to return home." Olivia is off the yacht.
Did she row ashore?

Well.....

Zoe Kazan did a WONDERFUL job there - - - - - of proving to the world that she is an utter dipshit. :)

Other than that - the Author took on about a micrometer deep "analysis" of some data that anyone who can fog a mirror already knows
In Arizona we do not have enough humidity required to fog a mirror...

I think he's calling for more taxes because the laws aren't working.
In this case, the laws appear to be working. 50 people are under arrest, careers are in jeopardy, and reputations are ruined. Too much has been made of the Hollywood angle - I detest those idiots as much as anyone, with their fake moral preening - but most of the people under arrest are business people, professionals (Drs), and high profile lawyers. Another indication of the institutional failure that is a hallmark of American life now.

A "6-degree-of-separation" connection tells us that high schools will be targeted in the investigation.

It remains to be seen how many are convicted, I hope they all get it good and hard. But I fail to see the connection between taxing these people and obeying the law.

Then who? Of the parties listed, and their political contributions, half were Dem only, half were Republican only, and the remainder donated to both/business concerns (which gave to both).

So, it couldn't be a political demographic.

Did you mean white people? Old white people? Old rich white people?

In this case, the laws appear to be working.

You said it. "In this case" the laws appear to be working. But what about all the times the laws don't work because little envelopes get handed over in a dark corner of a parking garage?

Sweet Jeebzus...…. Who gives a flying F what "parties" they are?
Assuming that they "identify" as any political party at all.

(and, frankly, I can't imagine one reason to care one iota if they do identify with one or the other - or, if they do, which "party" that is)

th

If I gotta' explain that to ya', I would be - obviously :) - wasting both our times.

OK, then ... rich, old, white people it is.

So backhanded compliment or what?

I guess its a bonus a mention of sandusky wasnt included

IMG-1559-1.png

some great points on twitter....if it is so hard to get into some of these elite schools, why aren't these dumb-dumbs flunking out? Could it be that these elite schools are a complete rip off like diamonds? Good in name only but virtually, worthless otherwise?

Reactions: Tamaqua
some great points on twitter....if it is so hard to get into some of these elite schools, why aren't these dumb-dumbs flunking out? Could it be that these elite schools are a complete rip off like diamonds? Good in name only but virtually, worthless otherwise?
Well it was noted that they get "passed" through school for fear ..brace for it... the influential parents raising a stink or much worse not donating more money

the dreaded opportunity cost rears its ugly head

Well it was noted that they get "passed" through school for fear ..brace for it... the influential parents raising a stink or much worse not donating more money

What is funny is that William H. Macey could have walked into any admissions office and gotten anyone admitted. No money need change hands. Apparently, getting admitted wasn't the only thing...they wanted "rowing team" or "soccer team" on their resumes. They can all go to the awards ceremony and tell them what over achievers they raised.

That and these schools, like virtually all others, have majors that are easier and some that are more difficult. Further, everyone knows the profs to avoid if one is allergic to work.

I doubt very, very, very much if they gave 1/2 a rats ass about having USC Rowing or whatever on the resume.
In fact, I highly doubt if the kid in quesion ever would have actually participated in whatever the sport was (like, 100-1 against)
well, that was the deal. You tell me why. Kid got into USC or whatever, coach paid off to have them walk onto the rowing team, kid doesn't show up or really participate in any meaningful way.

Why was the coach and team involved? Appears to me the coach, somehow, got the kid into the school but no 'ship was given.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT