ADVERTISEMENT

eBay find..Vintage Penn State University Football Charlie Pittman 16mm Film Very RARE

You can make an offer... probably get it for $50.

Whatever this is, maybe it was sent to all the recruits that season.

LdN

Orange Bowl against Missouri on youtube. Franco and Lydell Mitchell and the All American Charlie Pittman. And the Defense was probably the stronger unit. Before my time, but what I've seen is highly impressive. What a stacked team.

Orange Bowl against Missouri on youtube. Franco and Lydell Mitchell and the All American Charlie Pittman. And the Defense was probably the stronger unit. Before my time, but what I've seen is highly impressive. What a stacked team.

I’ll not go into my usual stroll down memory lane here about that 1969 team, but I would like younger fans to recall how dominating that defense was. The starters allowed some incredibly low number of points .... I can’t recall the exact number ... but it was something amazing like 47. The team allowed only 90 in 11 games.

The D also intercepted 31 passes in the 11 games.

Probably? Probably?

Try D E F I N A T E L Y !

Missouri had laid 40 pts on UMich earlier in the season.....the same UMich team that upset tOSU.

Missouri with Jon Staggers and Mel Grey and two running backs that played in the NFL had scored 40 / 44 / 41 / 69 pts in their last four regular season games. I saw them personally lay the 69 pts on KU.

Missouri had 3 pts in 16 (or 17) possessions against PSU. All of 3 pts despite holding Pittman Mitchell and Harris to 57 rushing yds and forcing PSU to punt 12 times.

PSU intercepted 7 passes.....forced 4 fumbles (recovering 2) and forced 6 punts.

Probably? Probably?

Try D E F I N A T E L Y !

Missouri had laid 40 pts on UMich earlier in the season.....the same UMich team that upset tOSU.

Missouri with Jon Staggers and Mel Grey and two running backs that played in the NFL had scored 40 / 44 / 41 / 69 pts in their last four regular season games. I saw them personally lay the 69 pts on KU.

Missouri had 3 pts in 16 (or 17) possessions against PSU. All of 3 pts despite holding Pittman Mitchell and Harris to 57 rushing yds and forcing PSU to punt 12 times.

PSU intercepted 7 passes.....forced 4 fumbles (recovering 2) and forced 6 punts.

IIRC, Missouri coach Dan.Devine was quoted saying something like, "Texas may have been #1, but they never would have scored on Penn State."

Reactions: 81b&w
IIRC, Missouri coach Dan.Devine was quoted saying something like, "Texas may have been #1, but they never would have scored on Penn State."

My apologies for sticking myself into this thread yet again, but that quote reminds me of one of the all-tome greatest post-game quotes:

When asked by reporters after the Orange Bowl how long Penn State could have held Missouri’s high-powered offense at bay, LB Dennis Onkotz replied, simply, “Forever.”

pic_HAM-ONKOTZ-70.jpg

Jack Ham and Dennis Onkotz vs Missouri

Reactions: Option Bob
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT