ADVERTISEMENT

Early 2018 Depth Chart - Offense, from BSD (link)

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Last edited:
Reactions: LaJolla Lion
The offensive lineup is pretty straight forward. I am interested to see what
the defensive lineup looks like.

The offensive lineup is pretty straight forward. I am interested to see what
the defensive lineup looks like.
I generally agree with the article.

We will need to maintain the balance in the offense to be effective.

I would think that the run game should be better based on the additional year of experience for so many linemen. One point I disagree with him is TE. If Bowers is healthy, I see him being the starter based primarily on blocking. If the running game does not go much better even with a blocking TE, we will have to pass more and then maybe a more pass catching type of TE will emerge.

Also, jury is still out on just how good a QB we have in Stevens.

He looks to run first and pass second. That may be due to not seeing enough real speed game situations. Or, it might be that he is not all that good of a passer.

If he plays the Lion/slash type position next year, I see him catching some of the safety valve throws to Gesicki for first downs. I also see him being somewhat of a decoy, just as Barkley was this year.

I think some combination of Bowers and Stevens gives us the best offensive options.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The DEs will be good from the start.

The DTs will need to mature quickly and let's hope that Hansard can play major minutes.

The first four games will give the DL a chance to gel.

Reactions: Bob78
I generally agree with the article.

We will need to maintain the balance in the offense to be effective.

I would think that the run game should be better based on the additional year of experience for so many linemen. One point I disagree with him is TE. If Bowers is healthy, I see him being the starter based primarily on blocking. If the running game does not go much better even with a blocking TE, we will have to pass more and then maybe a more pass catching type of TE will emerge.

Also, jury is still out on just how good a QB we have in Stevens.

He looks to run first and pass second. That may be due to not seeing enough real speed game situations. Or, it might be that he is not all that good of a passer.

If he plays the Lion/slash type position next year, I see him catching some of the safety valve throws to Gesicki for first downs. I also see him being somewhat of a decoy, just as Barkley was this year.

I think some combination of Bowers and Stevens gives us the best offensive options.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The DEs will be good from the start.

The DTs will need to mature quickly and let's hope that Hansard can play major minutes.

The first four games will give the DL a chance to gel.

Yep, I agree on TE. I believe if Bowers is healthy he will start.

At DT, Windsor and Givens have a load of experience and likely will play lots of minutes. There are plenty of candidates at DT for a couple more to emerge, including Mustopher as a true freshman. Hansard is a big kid with talent, so he will be in the fray. But Mustopher is big and looks much more physically developed than Hansard looked this past season. Bolds also got good reviews from the staff as he redshirted. Plus the two that played as redshirt freshmen this past season, and possibly Buchholz in passing situations. Good competition for playing time and considering losing the top 3 DT's there will still be some leadership with Windsor and Givens.

I'm sure BSD will have an opinion about Safety in their Defensive depth chart, but at this point other than Scott being a good probability to start, the competition seems wide open.

From what I have seen so far, I’d bet Holland isn’t going to be able to hold on to a starting TE spot even if Bowers isn’t 100%.

Yep, I agree on TE. I believe if Bowers is healthy he will start.

At DT, Windsor and Givens have a load of experience and likely will play lots of minutes. There are plenty of candidates at DT for a couple more to emerge, including Mustopher as a true freshman. Hansard is a big kid with talent, so he will be in the fray. But Mustopher is big and looks much more physically developed than Hansard looked this past season. Bolds also got good reviews from the staff as he redshirted. Plus the two that played as redshirt freshmen this past season, and possibly Buchholz in passing situations. Good competition for playing time and considering losing the top 3 DT's there will still be some leadership with Windsor and Givens.

I'm sure BSD will have an opinion about Safety in their Defensive depth chart, but at this point other than Scott being a good probability to start, the competition seems wide open.

Bowers..... More months missed due to injury than catches. I'm a WPA guy.. but I'll believe it when I see it. Right now, I don't see it.

Bowers..... More months missed due to injury than catches. I'm a WPA guy.. but I'll believe it when I see it. Right now, I don't see it.

He did play a couple games I believe this past season and made a catch or two. I didn't see a drop and he looked to have soft hands on the catches he made. Yep, he has spent too much time in the tub, but he has a real chance to start this coming year if he can get healthy..... Gotta root hard for him as he is a flip from pitt.... and came from the H.S. that a friend of mine attended who is a big pitt fan...

I am even wondering how long Holland can hold off the incoming freshmen. Dalton I don’t know about.
I will go on record saying that Castagna should move to TE this spring if he wants to play.

Reactions: JoeFi
After 3 years of hope and promise the OL still looks, well, looked like a mess. One good bowl game does not make for a good OL next year. I’m not buying into the hype this year. When I see it I’ll believe it. Not saything they won’t be good. But I can’t take the heartbreak anymore...

Reactions: PSU&Trout
I am concerned about the quality and experience at linebacker and safety. I think the Wild Dogs will be fine. At least as good as this year and maybe even better off the edge.

Here’s my best guess :

WDE : Miller, Simmons, Toney
DT 1 : Windsor, Hansard, Mustipher
DT 3 : Givens, Buchholz, Jordan
SDE : Matos or Buchholz, Brown, Barber

WLB : Brown, Cooper, Faison - Walden
MLB : Brooks, Parsons, Johnson
SLB : Farmer, Miller, Franklin

CB ( boundary ) : Oruwariye or Fields, McPherson, Butler
FS : Scott, Sutherland, Taylor
SS : Monroe, Taylor, Petrishen
CB ( field ) : Reid, Wade, Brown

He did play a couple games I believe this past season and made a catch or two. I didn't see a drop and he looked to have soft hands on the catches he made. Yep, he has spent too much time in the tub, but he has a real chance to start this coming year if he can get healthy..... Gotta root hard for him as he is a flip from pitt.... and came from the H.S. that a friend of mine attended who is a big pitt fan...[/QUOTEI

I know what is history think he has one possibly two catches as played in several games over several years he's been into the rest of the time.
We have five or so preseason games to see who's going to be the tight end and we got a million candidates I think we'll be okay

You guys don't think Torrance Brown is a lock to start at DE of healthy?
Just looking over the roster, there is a huge amount of talent and depth at DE. Gros - Matos was hard to keep off the field as a freshman. What about as a sophomore ? Same goes for Toney and Simmons. They were a bit undersized in 2017. In 2018, they will be bigger and better. How do you keep them off the field ?

Just looking over the roster, there is a huge amount of talent and depth at DE. Gros - Matos was hard to keep off the field as a freshman. What about as a sophomore ? Same goes for Toney and Simmons. They were a bit undersized in 2017. In 2018, they will be bigger and better. How do you keep them off the field ?

And Brown and Miller and Buchholz will also be bigger and better..... Sure, one of the younger guys could win a starting spot. But there will be lots of DE's playing, a deep rotation, and the staff will be able to put players in the game to take advantage of each players strengths based upon situations and the weaknesses of the offense of the opponent. But I still see Brown, Buchholz, and Miller as the front runners to start at DE in 2018.....

At this point we really don't know who will be on the roster in 2018. There are likely to be a few changes, as there are every off season....

Reactions: NedFromYork
And Brown and Miller and Buchholz will also be bigger and better..... Sure, one of the younger guys could win a starting spot. But there will be lots of DE's playing, a deep rotation, and the staff will be able to put players in the game to take advantage of each players strengths based upon situations and the weaknesses of the offense of the opponent. But I still see Brown, Buchholz, and Miller as the front runners to start at DE in 2018.....

At this point we really don't know who will be on the roster in 2018. There are likely to be a few changes, as there are every off season....
I tend to think that Oweh is going to RS. With the depth we have at DE now and the fact that he is going to be an engineering major, it makes sense. I also wonder if Barber ends up at DT eventually. He is already 270.

Unless Friermuth is clearly ready on day one, or Bowers has a great and healthy spring, I see a position switch looming at TE and possibly a significant one. Someone above mentioned Castagna and he is an intriguing possibility. Two other names I would float are Daniel Joseph and Torrence Brown. Obviously Brown would be a long shot due to his health issue and his 5th year status. But DE is now a position of extreme strength IMO and we can afford to move someone. We need to make sure that worst case we have one dependable every down blocking TE. Not sure who that would be right now.

Unless Friermuth is clearly ready on day one, or Bowers has a great and healthy spring, I see a position switch looming at TE and possibly a significant one. Someone above mentioned Castagna and he is an intriguing possibility. Two other names I would float are Daniel Joseph and Torrence Brown. Obviously Brown would be a long shot due to his health issue and his 5th year status. But DE is now a position of extreme strength IMO and we can afford to move someone. We need to make sure that worst case we have one dependable every down blocking TE. Not sure who that would be right now.
I know it’s not likely to happen, but look at Judge Culpepper’s HS highlights as a TE.

CappyToCJF otherwise known as CRYBABY! post: 3256863 said:
Coming from the guy that can't figure out not to put his messages in the quote he is replying to....

Do I give a shit? Nah!

I tend to think that Oweh is going to RS. With the depth we have at DE now and the fact that he is going to be an engineering major, it makes sense. I also wonder if Barber ends up at DT eventually. He is already 270.

Agree on Oweh. Parsons will play this year and who knows where, but he may take some snaps away from Toney as a rush end no mater where he is practicing and who he is backing up on the depth chart.

Barber is a player I can't wait to see in the B/W game. We need some size at DE, but there is a log jam of talent there and much of it is young. If Barber really is 270-275 by the start of Spring practice he could be well on his way to playing 3 technique.....

Lots of competition along the DL and it will bring about hungry, relentless play by those that play.

You guys don't think Torrance Brown is a lock to start at DE of healthy?
Ned, I don't think he is a lock to start. It doesn't matter much if he is a starter since PSU rotates so much. As long as he is in the 5 man rotation he is going to play a lot of football and with his experience he certainly can be a key guy at DE. But IMHO we are going to have 3 big time difference makers at DE in Bucholtz, Miller and Matos-Gross. I think those three can elevate the DL to a new level. Brown is a nice player but IMO not in the category of these three.

I know it’s not likely to happen, but look at Judge Culpepper’s HS highlights as a TE.

Very good point, forgot about that. Culpepper's versatility was discussed at the time of his recruitment, and I think he stated publicly that he didn't care what position he played, he just wants to be part of PSU's success.

I imagine the coaches will get a good look at him at TE. However, if he turns out to be a Bucholtz type player, capable of handling DE and DT, that's where I would want him if it was my call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT