ADVERTISEMENT

Eagles fans - Draft Watch thread

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
It’s a long way to the draft Iggles fans, but we have a chance to jumpstart a rebuild with 2 - maybe 3 - 1st round picks in the 2022 draft. All 3 first rounders could be high ones as we have:

1. Our own pick
2. The Dolphins pick. They are currently 1-4 so root for them to lose heavily
3. Possible (Colts). If Wentz plays 75% of Indy offensive snaps, our 2nd rounder becomes a first (will also happen if they make the playoffs and he plays at least 70% of the snaps). Knock on wood, but Wentz is staying upright and has played 95% of the snaps. Root for Wentz to stay healthy, but not play well.

Of course, Howie will have to resist his urge to try and out think everyone and draft chumps like 28 year old Canadian firemen and other busts and jagoffs.

It’s a long way to the draft Iggles fans, but we have a chance to jumpstart a rebuild with 2 - maybe 3 - 1st round picks in the 2022 draft. All 3 first rounders could be high ones as we have:

1. Our own pick
3. Possible (Colts). If Wentz plays 75% of Indy offensive snaps, our 2nd rounder becomes a first (will also happen if they make the playoffs and he plays at least 70% of the snaps). Knock on wood, but Wentz is staying upright and has played 95% of the snaps. Root for Wentz to stay healthy, but not play well.

Of course, Howie will have to resist his urge to try and out think everyone and draft chumps like 28 year old Canadian firemen and other busts and jagoffs.
We want Wentz to be his usual self: good on paper, but lacking clutch plays. If he outright stinks, then Indy will bench him.

The Colts are too good to really tank, but I could see them 8-9 or 9-8. That could get a mid-teens pick if it all works out. I think the Eagles will most likely be in that 7-9 wins range too.

The Dolphins are a really interesting case to watch. They went all in and appear to just suck. What’s worse is that they don’t have good options at QB. Could they get Watson on the cheap?

1. Our own pick

I haven’t been happy for 26 hours. You made me happy. So thank you.

Reactions: 2atpsu
We want Wentz to be his usual self: good on paper, but lacking clutch plays. If he outright stinks, then Indy will bench him.

The Colts are too good to really tank, but I could see them 8-9 or 9-8. That could get a mid-teens pick if it all works out. I think the Eagles will most likely be in that 7-9 wins range too.

The Dolphins are a really interesting case to watch. They went all in and appear to just suck. What’s worse is that they don’t have good options at QB. Could they get Watson on the cheap?
The Colts get both Houston and Jacksonville twice, which should help them improve their record. Miami is the pick that could really pay off. If the Eagles receive something in the range of a #5, #12 and #14 even Howie would have a tough time messing that up (OMG, did I just say that).

The Colts get both Houston and Jacksonville twice, which should help them improve their record. Miami is the pick that could really pay off. If the Eagles receive something in the range of a #5, #12 and #14 even Howie would have a tough time messing that up (OMG, did I just say that).
No jinxes, @northwoods ! Given Howie's track record on 1st and 2nd round picks, I think he's easily capable of wasting that kind of haul. The real question is whether Lurie fully trusts Howie to ultimately make those picks.

Seems like the sweet spot for the Indy pick is in the 15-20 range. If it becomes clear that they aren't making the playoffs by game 13-14, do they have any incentive to keep playing Wentz? Need them to be competitive enough to win, but just miss the playoffs. Even if they sit Wentz, the Eagles still get a high 2nd round pick.

Howie can always F things up, but I think his picks in the top 15 have been ok (give him a pass on Wentz because it looked like a good move for a bit). It's the late 1st round and early 2nd round where he seems to have failed the most. If they Eagles end up with 3 picks in the top 20, I think he would have a hard time blowing it too badly.

Seems like the sweet spot for the Indy pick is in the 15-20 range. If it becomes clear that they aren't making the playoffs by game 13-14, do they have any incentive to keep playing Wentz? Need them to be competitive enough to win, but just miss the playoffs. Even if they sit Wentz, the Eagles still get a high 2nd round pick.

Howie can always F things up, but I think his picks in the top 15 have been ok (give him a pass on Wentz because it looked like a good move for a bit). It's the late 1st round and early 2nd round where he seems to have failed the most. If they Eagles end up with 3 picks in the top 20, I think he would have a hard time blowing it too badly.
He’s only picked in the top 15 three times: Wentz, Derek Barnett and Smith. And I do include Wentz as a miss…a big one…but you can’t fault the Eagles for taking the shot. They needed a QB.

So my math has Howie at 1 for 3 with those picks. And there haven’t been many other hits in the early rounds. That is why things seem so dire right now.

Indy sitting Wentz for draft purposes would be richly ironic after what the Eagles pulled in the final game last year.

He’s only picked in the top 15 three times: Wentz, Derek Barnett and Smith. And I do include Wentz as a miss…a big one…but you can’t fault the Eagles for taking the shot. They needed a QB.

So my math has Howie at 1 for 3 with those picks. And there haven’t been many other hits in the early rounds. That is why things seem so dire right now.

Indy sitting Wentz for draft purposes would be richly ironic after what the Eagles pulled in the final game last year.
Hmm, he was GM from 2010-2014 when they got B graham, LJohnson and Fletcher. I'm sure Reid gets some credit for those as well. What am I missing?

And yes, that would be delicious irony if Indy sat Wentz. It would make for a better 2nd round pick though.

Last edited:
And I do include Wentz as a miss…a big one…but you can’t fault the Eagles for taking the shot. They needed a QB.

I'm not an Eagles fan, so I'm liable to be crucified here for saying this but:

Wentz was part of the success that got the team in position for a playoff run that led to a Super Bowl win. He might not have won y'all 2+, but many fan bases would be thrilled with just one.

Wentz was part of the success that got the team in position for a playoff run that led to a Super Bowl win. He might not have won y'all 2+, but many fan bases would be thrilled with just one.
Totally agree. Wentz was great that year, until injury. Without HFA through the playoffs, who knows if Nicky pulls the rabbit out of the hat.

There are differing schools of thought on that. I’m likely a tinge on the side of thinking they would not have won it all with Wentz at QB. Foles was magical. The underdog mentality meant so much to that team in the playoffs.

You are right that the end more than justified the pick of Wentz. He was part of it all. I’d just rather he have worked out in Philly!

I’m telling you, the SECOND the colts are out of the playoffs, if <75% is still attainable, Wentz is going on IR with some obscure injury that he’s been “playing through” all season because he’s “gritty”.

So far, he’s at 98.5% on the season. Here’s an ongoing tracker.

I’m telling you, the SECOND the colts are out of the playoffs, if <75% is still attainable, Wentz is going on IR with some obscure injury that he’s been “playing through” all season because he’s “gritty”.

Last night was a wonderful result for the Eagles. Wentz looked brilliant and threw for 400 yards. The Colts blew a late lead on defense and lost.

It’s not easy to pin their 1-4 start on Wentz. For the most part anyway.

The tough part is that their early schedule has been brutal. They look sure to bounce back. One poster pointed out that they get 4 games against Houston and Jacksonville. You can assume 5-4 right now factoring in those games.

No Eagles fan, and I include myself among them, can complain if he Colts bench Wentz to retain the first pick after the travesty of last year's final game. As if they wanted to see how Nate Dudfield would fare in a real game!

That will happen if it becomes apparent they will miss the playoffs. So far, his QB rating isn't too bad. It is far from good though. Much better than last year when he ranked dead last. I have been hoping all along for either the bare minimum Colts' success and the requisite number of snaps, or a complete meltdown for the highest possible second round pick.

I am not holding my breath on the pick translating to the first round. We can always hope!

Hmm, he was GM from 2010-2014 when they got B graham, LJohnson and Fletcher. I'm sure Reid gets some credit for those as well. What am I missing?

Fletcher was an Andy Reid pick

Lane Johnson was Chip Kelly as coach (he ignored Howie)

B Graham ... Andy Reid

Reactions: N&B4PSU
If Dillard continues playing well at LTdo you think about moving Mailata to right tackle and moving on from Johnson and his contract. When healthy Johnson is a beast. He has a huge contract and is over 30

No Eagles fan, and I include myself among them, can complain if he Colts bench Wentz to retain the first pick after the travesty of last year's final game. As if they wanted to see how Nate Dudfield would fare in a real game!

That will happen if it becomes apparent they will miss the playoffs. So far, his QB rating isn't too bad. It is far from good though. Much better than last year when he ranked dead last. I have been hoping all along for either the bare minimum Colts' success and the requisite number of snaps, or a complete meltdown for the highest possible second round pick.

I am not holding my breath on the pick translating to the first round. We can always hope!
Fair is fair, isn't it :). The Eagles clearly tanked to improve their draft position last season.

Reactions: 19333lion
Fair is fair, isn't it :). The Eagles clearly tanked to improve their draft position last season.
That's why the Colts have to be in playoff contention deep into the season. As soon as he hits the magic snap count, they can lose out in a perfect Eagles world. Of course, in a perfect Eagles world, Wentz would be an all-pro in Philadelphia

That's why the Colts have to be in playoff contention deep into the season. As soon as he hits the magic snap count, they can lose out in a perfect Eagles world. Of course, in a perfect Eagles world, Wentz would be an all-pro in Philadelphia
not really most teams dont tank for a draft choice etc too much other money in contracts involved, plus the coaches dont like living with the L's. Doug Peterson was a good solider though, and look what it got him.

BTW, as it stands right now, the Eagles would have 3 top 10 picks. Won't last, as Indy is bound to win some games in that terrible division. I think 6 to 7 wins is about the best we can hope for.

We should also hope that Tennessee flounders so that Indy stays in contention as long as possible.

Miami is 1-6 after losing on a late FG. Wentz plays the Niners today. He’s at 98.7 % of snaps
I’ll start to get excited in December. I expect Indy to go on a run at some point, but Miami (barring acquiring and playing Watson) and the Eagles appear to be high probability top 10 picks.

I hope the Eagles go into full "Process" mode and somehow lose out. Likewise with the Dolphins. Having two top five picks would allow them to do some wheeling and dealing to accumulate additional picks if they choose to. Can you imagine if they wound up with the first two picks? Howie is very good at trading. Choosing is a different matter altogether.

I just hope Lurie figures out that he and Howie cannot influence the selection of players anymore.

The Birds need as much of a talent upgrade as possible.

The Colts don't seem to be playing this too smart. I understand not pulling Wentz in close games but I wonder if they haven't had some kneel-down opportunities that could have contributed toward keeping their first round pick. Heck, they were up 24-3 heading into the 4th quarter against Houston and kept him in through the end of the game? If I was a Colts fan, I would be irate.

Can you imagine if they wound up with the first two picks? Howie is very good at trading. Choosing is a different matter altogether.

The odds are not very high that they'd have the top 2 picks based just on records. Detroit, Houston, NY Jets, Jacksonville, in addition to the Birds' pick from Miami, are in the running for the top pick.

As for trading to get the top 2 picks, you've got to give up something to move up. With all the needs the team has, I would hope that they don't trade away their 3rd 1st-round pick (assuming Wentz continues to play for the Colts), as that's a likely cost to move up. The Birds have so many needs that I don't want them to give up any of the 1st-round picks they have.

Unless Wentz is playing horribly, even if they’re eliminated, the Colts won’t bench him. Maybe the last game of the season, but they can’t move on from him until after next season unless they really want a huge cap hit. His fragile psyche wouldn’t be able to take it.

The odds are not very high that they'd have the top 2 picks based just on records. Detroit, Houston, NY Jets, Jacksonville, in addition to the Birds' pick from Miami, are in the running for the top pick.

As for trading to get the top 2 picks, you've got to give up something to move up. With all the needs the team has, I would hope that they don't trade away their 3rd 1st-round pick (assuming Wentz continues to play for the Colts), as that's a likely cost to move up. The Birds have so many needs that I don't want them to give up any of the 1st-round picks they have.
This!!!
Eagles need multiple players, not one really good player. Especially considering that there doesn't seem to be a can't-miss franchise QB in this draft.

Reactions: delcoLion
This!!!
Eagles need multiple players, not one really good player. Especially considering that there doesn't seem to be a can't-miss franchise QB in this draft.
on one hand you are correct, on the other they need a franchise QB. Although we will never know who they are before the draft, you get a pretty good idea, but there are exceptions see Herbert. They had one, and pissed that away so theres that.

on one hand you are correct, on the other they need a franchise QB. Although we will never know who they are before the draft, you get a pretty good idea, but there are exceptions see Herbert. They had one, and pissed that away so theres that.
There is no reason you can't get a quality QB outside of the first 2 picks. See Mahomes and Wilson. You could throw Brady in there, but he is an anomaly. You take a chance on one this year with one of the 3 first round picks, or wait until next year. Mahomes and Wilson both won super bowls on rookie contracts and Wentz basically set up the super bowl run on a rookie contract.

The Colts don't seem to be playing this too smart. I understand not pulling Wentz in close games but I wonder if they haven't had some kneel-down opportunities that could have contributed toward keeping their first round pick. Heck, they were up 24-3 heading into the 4th quarter against Houston and kept him in through the end of the game? If I was a Colts fan, I would be irate.
You dance with the date who brought you re: Wentz. He's their QB and selectively sitting him at the end of games won't materially move him from 98% of snaps to below 70%. That would cause more reputational damage than its worth.

You dance with the date who brought you re: Wentz. He's their QB and selectively sitting him at the end of games won't materially move him from 98% of snaps to below 70%. That would cause more reputational damage than its worth.
I'm just thinking that, if he does get legitimately hurt later in the year, they'll feel pretty dumb if he tops 70% by 10 or 20 snaps.

There is no reason you can't get a quality QB outside of the first 2 picks. See Mahomes and Wilson. You could throw Brady in there, but he is an anomaly. You take a chance on one this year with one of the 3 first round picks, or wait until next year. Mahomes and Wilson both won super bowls on rookie contracts and Wentz basically set up the super bowl run on a rookie contract.
I dont disagree with that. I do know we need a QB, and getting one in the second round is hit or miss. (not that it isnt in the first round) . We cant wait until next year or the year after that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT