ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Highest risk/reward picks of the NBA Draft -- No. 3 Jalen Pickett

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com

SELECTED: No. 32 by the Denver Nuggets

RISK/REWARD FACTOR: The Nuggets’ early second-round selection of Pickett got the side-eye treatment on draft night, and the extent of the negative reaction was probably a bit unfair because it overlooked just how skilled and well-rounded the former Penn State star actually is. That said, the defending champs definitely took on some risk by taking an unorthodox player with a less-than-aesthetically-pleasing game – a move that seems to have worked out OK for them in the past.

The questions that surround Pickett concern his lack of true athleticism and the fact that he’ll be 24 before he plays an NBA game. The pick is a bet on skill trumping athleticism, and the hope that Pickett’s ability to make a living scoring and passing in the post translates to the NBA. The decision will be an easy one to mock in retrospect should it not work out. However, the Nuggets’ front office deserves all the praise in the world for the courage to make if it does.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Hoops is all about schemes to get to desired match ups to exploit for production. We probably can assume that Calvin Booth has spent at least some 1:1 time with Jalen during his sons' recruitment process and must be very comfortable with the person along with the player. Being 24 may have helped in that Jalen has matured both physically and personally.

If Booth sees a potential fit in the locker room along with a possible new wrinkle for their offense to evolve towards tinkering with a lineup that can effectively spread the floor and/or have Pickett 1:1 in the post then the upside is huge for a 32 pick.

"Courage" may be too strong a word- but they certainly could've taken more highly rated players- just as Jalen "took" more highly rated Big Ten players for 2 years. We'll see.

That they offered Funk too may be telling of a tip of their thinking. In any case wish them all luck! 3 PSU hoops products with one NBA franchise (at least through September)???? Has there ever been such a thing?

Reactions: The Spin Meister

SELECTED: No. 32 by the Denver Nuggets

RISK/REWARD FACTOR: The Nuggets’ early second-round selection of Pickett got the side-eye treatment on draft night, and the extent of the negative reaction was probably a bit unfair because it overlooked just how skilled and well-rounded the former Penn State star actually is. That said, the defending champs definitely took on some risk by taking an unorthodox player with a less-than-aesthetically-pleasing game – a move that seems to have worked out OK for them in the past.

The questions that surround Pickett concern his lack of true athleticism and the fact that he’ll be 24 before he plays an NBA game. The pick is a bet on skill trumping athleticism, and the hope that Pickett’s ability to make a living scoring and passing in the post translates to the NBA. The decision will be an easy one to mock in retrospect should it not work out. However, the Nuggets’ front office deserves all the praise in the world for the courage to make if it does.
at 6-4 he's got good size for a PG or SG. He wasn't the quickest guy but had a good combo of strength and speed to muscle up shots. Can he get open in the NBA? We've seen plenty of unathletic guys do well in the NBA and I am thinking of Adrian Dantly and Larry Bird.

What I like:
  • NBA body
  • Not afraid
  • Has a good three tier game: 3, stop and pop, drive to the hoop
  • Fairly Athletic
  • Smart
What I don't like
  • He's kind of a tweener, not a true PG or a true SG
  • He's a 77% free throw shooter, you really look for 85% range for someone like that
  • Not great from 3 as he hit .385 last year. Not bad, but NBA three is more difficult both in terms of defense, distance and length of game (lets get tired).

at 6-4 he's got good size for a PG or SG. He wasn't the quickest guy but had a good combo of strength and speed to muscle up shots. Can he get open in the NBA? We've seen plenty of unathletic guys do well in the NBA and I am thinking of Adrian Dantly and Larry Bird.

What I like:
  • NBA body
  • Not afraid
  • Has a good three tier game: 3, stop and pop, drive to the hoop
  • Fairly Athletic
  • Smart
What I don't like
  • He's kind of a tweener, not a true PG or a true SG
  • He's a 77% free throw shooter, you really look for 85% range for someone like that
  • Not great from 3 as he hit .385 last year. Not bad, but NBA three is more difficult both in terms of defense, distance and length of game (lets get tired).
He will be a good backup pg on a great team. I love this spot for him

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT