ADVERTISEMENT

DT stunts

med2659

Aug 4, 2019
first off good overall game and Allar impressed me a little more than i expected for his first game but there was one thing that bothered me in our D game plan.

i didn't like all our stunting from our DT's...i know Manny wants to confuse the OL but we were leaving big holes in certain gaps that allowed their OL to get to our LB's untouched...the perfect example of this is the first play of the 2nd quarter...Ellies just sprints to the outside and leaves a void and they just run right into that gap...why are we stunting our run-stuffing 300 lbs DT who isn't that mobile in the first place at the goal against a team like WV?...to me that's the last thing u want to do in that situation...and our DT's seemed to be doing this a lot during the game.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree.
first off good overall game and Allar impressed me a little more than i expected for his first game but there was one thing that bothered me in our D game plan.

i didn't like all our stunting from our DT's...i know Manny wants to confuse the OL but we were leaving big holes in certain gaps that allowed their OL to get to our LB's untouched...the perfect example of this is the first play of the 2nd quarter...Ellies just sprints to the outside and leaves a void and they just run right into that gap...why are we stunting our run-stuffing 300 lbs DT who isn't that mobile in the first at the goal against a team like WV?...to me that's the last thing u want to do in that situation...and our DT's seemed to be doing this a lot during the game.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

i didn't like all our stunting from our DT's...i know Manny wants to confuse the OL but we were leaving big holes in certain gaps that allowed their OL to get to our LB's untouched...the perfect example of this is the first play of the 2nd quarter...Ellies just sprints to the outside and leaves a void and they just run right into that gap...why are we stunting our run-stuffing 300 lbs DT who isn't that mobile in the first at the goal against a team like WV?...to me that's the last thing u want to do in that situation...and our DT's seemed to be doing this a lot during the game.

I believe a lot of our defensive game plan was vanilla. We didn't game plan to stop them in any specific way. Base defense.

Carter gets a lot of flack, but how many plays came his way? WVU worked to the strong side. Jacobs and King should be your leading tacklers in such cases. And perhaps the hype was too much, but it seemed WVU decided to avoid him as much as possible. They scored 7 pts when it mattered. Isn't that success?

I believe a lot of our defensive game plan was vanilla. We didn't game plan to stop them in any specific way. Base defense.

Carter gets a lot of flack, but how many plays came his way? WVU worked to the strong side. Jacobs and King should be your leading tacklers in such cases. And perhaps the hype was too much, but it seemed WVU decided to avoid him as much as possible. They scored 7 pts when it mattered. Isn't that success?
it is a success in the end...i didn't criticize Carter, though he didn't have his best game (missed tackles and over running plays on 3rd down specifically)...i was just talking about not liking what we did with our DT's...we just did too much slanting/stunting with our interior guys and the WVU OL could just easily shove a guy to one side which left big holes...we were also without Izzard which hurt

Yeah I agree.
If you’re going to stunt, slant and twist you DT’s, you need to cover vacated gaps with linebackers. Apparently in some cases we did not do that.

It’s hard to tell if we don’t have good Defensive tackles or if we did not play good gap control. I would like to see how good these tackles are if we just try playing straight up for a quarter or two.

it is a success in the end...i didn't criticize Carter, though he didn't have his best game (missed tackles and over running plays on 3rd down specifically)...i was just talking about not liking what we did with our DT's...we just did too much slanting/stunting with our interior guys and the WVU OL could just easily shove a guy to one side which left big holes...we were also without Izzard which hurt
We knew they had a top notch O line and DT is our weakness. Assuming they stunted a lot to compensate, but as SR108 said, we may not have covered gaps well. And as this was a first game, mistakes will be made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT