ADVERTISEMENT

Does Michigan teach their players to hold?

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022

Their dbs were pulling on jerseys all night yesterday, it couldnt have been by accident. Its only a 10/15 yard penalty in college max and they know the refs won't throw it often.

Same thing on the OL as well. They had some big plays on offense on the missed holds as well.

yes they do, just like every other football team. It's really just a matter of what you can get away with. And, as you said, the penalty on a long play (if you are beaten) is much less than the completion.

I got a kick out of Michigan's OL wearing white gloves. I just posted, mid-season, that I don't understand why teams don't wear gloves that are the color of the opposing team's jerseys.

yes they do, just like every other football team. It's really just a matter of what you can get away with. And, as you said, the penalty on a long play (if you are beaten) is much less than the completion.

I got a kick out of Michigan's OL wearing white gloves. I just posted, mid-season, that I don't understand why teams don't wear gloves that are the color of the opposing team's jerseys.
I'd love to see more Defensive Lineman wear jerseys like former NFL DL Jim Burt...looked ridiculous, but his jersey was so tight that he couldn't be held by it.

The Big 10 has a long history of pretty loosely enforcing holding. I thought I saw some stats that show when Big 10 teams play in games reffed by other conferences they tend to get more holding calls, but that was years ago I'll never find it. If true, it's only natural the teams would adapt and hold more often since it's not regularly called. I remember there was one year where tOSU didn't have a single offensive holding call against them in conference play for an entire season.

Yes, all teams teach different techniques on how to hold and not get caught. You see a ton of DBs using their off hand behind a receiver while going for the ball with the other. Grabbing the hip is a big trick now. And in games, especially big games, they try a few times early to see what they can get away with. And if refs don’t call things early players will hold all game.

Refs should make a few early calls and tell the players to clean it up or flags will fly all night. But they hate to do so and be accused of impacting the game. But not calling penalties also impacts the game. Once the limits are set both teams will know them and play by them.

These refs let too much early on and then were stuck not calling obvious penalties.

Reactions: psu1969a
The Big 10 has a long history of pretty loosely enforcing holding. I thought I saw some stats that show when Big 10 teams play in games reffed by other conferences they tend to get more holding calls, but that was years ago I'll never find it. If true, it's only natural the teams would adapt and hold more often since it's not regularly called. I remember there was one year where tOSU didn't have a single offensive holding call against them in conference play for an entire season.
We had a holding call on the 1st or 2nd offensive play against the OSU for a first down. Similar to the bowl game with Miss St.

Quite a few years ago, the Patriots were holding nearly every play in pass coverage and won the super bowl. Other NFL teams were complaining about it for most of the season. After the season, the league changed the wording of the rule to get the refs to crack down on it more. Pitt, under Narduzzi, has used the same tactic with pretty good effect. Narduzzi's strategy has been to play tight and agressive up front while leaving the DBs on an island and having them hold, then flipping out on the sideline when it is called, hoping to work the refs. Looks like Michigan has adopted that style. Combined with sign-stealing, it has worked very well for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT