ADVERTISEMENT

David Corley named new RBs coach...

Seriously?
I don’t mean he doesn’t have to learn our offense, but his experience with offenses that include some (a lot in Army’s case) “option” may be helpful as opposed to someone who has only pro set experience.

That's a reach. Corley was one regime removed from Moorhead's tenure at UConn. Neither of the OC's he worked with, Mike Cummings or Frank Verducci, are RPO guys, and neither would remotely be considered as offensive genii.

Fair enough. Checked out the details to see the timing and offered it here for observation and discussion. Appreciate the additional info Art.

COACHING EXPERIENCE
2017-pres.: Army West Point (wide receivers)
2014-16: Connecticut (running backs and wide receivers)
2008-13: William & Mary (running backs, quarterbacks, and wide receivers)
2004-05: C.A. Johnson Preparatory Academy (quarterbacks)

http://goarmywestpoint.com/coaches.aspx?rc=455&path=football

he seems like a solid student of the game over all the skill positions and JF has done pretty decent job on selection with few exceptions. was there somebody from Green Bay or Wisc GB mentioned in a thread?

I thought i had seen a thread a few days ago about a different name being selected, but maybe that was different position coach.

My guess is that JF sees him as being a great recruiter of southern VA region and can relate to RB recruits in general. the chemistry of how he fits with the entire OFF staff is also pretty key.

Reactions: T J
I thought i had seen a thread a few days ago about a different name being selected, but maybe that was different position coach.
There were a few names discussed in the last week or two, but I don’t recall hearing David Corley’s name until he was announced.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I don’t think it’s important for him to know Moorhead’s offense, but his experience coaching in a triple option offense may be helpful.

Experience, different ways of thinking are always helpful. I would not expect to see very much in the way of "triple option" in the current regime.

Not about being selected.
About a name that was being rumored.

The other individual may well have been in the running and a target. But after those posts, the guy who was a possible option took an NFL job. So, if the rumor was true, it appears CJF's eye for talent continues.

Experience, different ways of thinking are always helpful. I would not expect to see very much in the way of "triple option" in the current regime.
He’s not coming in to change the offense, but I bet he knows a thing about the mesh point used in many option offenses. Clearly, I think Franklin hired him for who he is as a coach and molder of men, and what he can do going forward with our RBs, as opposed to a proven track record of developing RB.

He’s not coming in to change the offense, but I bet he knows a thing about the mesh point used in many option offenses. Clearly, I think Franklin hired him for who he is as a coach and molder of men, and what he can do going forward with our RBs, as opposed to a proven track record of developing RB.

How hard do you think it is for an offensive coach with any appreciable experience at almost any level to learnall they need to know about the "mesh point?" Five to ten minutes, depending on whether he breathes through his nose or mouth.

Franklin's take on success is interesting and more aligned with Mike Gundy than Meyer/Saban. Like Gundy, Franklin believes limiting staff turnover is key to success. So, rather than going out and hiring the shiny object that will likely leave in a year or two, Franklin and Gundy are not opposed to looking for lesser names at the lower ranks.

At the same time, Franklin values experience coaching at different positions and head/coordinator experience. He hired Moorhead because he needed to bring someone in to put in place a new system knowing that Moorhead would not stick around. He hired Shoop to run the defense knowing that he would not stick around. Both were previously head coaches and made it known that they wanted to be head coaches.

So he replaces them with Rahne, who has indicated that he has no desire to be a head coach, and Pry, who has turned down head coaching possibilities. Both were able to learn under the more experienced coordinators.

He hires Limegrover, he has been an OC, but wants to focus on OL. Franklin says Spencer wants to focus on being the best DL coach.

He hires Smith for his local recruiting ties and history with PSU. He hires Banks who has DC experience. The new TE coach knows Moorhead's system and was a GA with recruiting ties to the DMV.

Then there is the special teams coach who has experience with special teams and was a consultant. And now the RB coach who has experience at multiple positions and another young up and comer.

That only leaves Gattis, whom I don't know much about.

So, Franklin is not afraid to think outside of the box and do what he thinks is necessary for the program by hiring a blend of up and comers with more experienced coaches from big time and small time programs. And then give them more duties and responsibilities reflected in titles so that the coaches are forced to work together as a team. And they all have to recruit.

It has worked so far, so in the long run, might be more successful than the programs with constant staff turnover. One thing for sure is that Franklin is very strategic and focused on the big picture.

How hard do you think it is for an offensive coach with any appreciable experience at almost any level to learnall they need to know about the "mesh point?" Five to ten minutes, depending on whether he breathes through his nose or mouth.
So, then I could be a RBs coach? I can learn everything I need to know in 15 minutes.

My god, Art, I’m not making the hire out to be the best or worst ever, and I’m not even saying anything controversial at all. You seem committed to constantly try to make yourself out to be the worlds leading expert (in whatever the topic). You certainly seem like an intelligent person, but why not limit yourself to helping those looking for answers or at least those that are actually wrong about something. Rhetorical question, no need to answer.

So, then I could be a RBs coach? I can learn everything I need to know in 15 minutes.

My god, Art, I’m not making the hire out to be the best or worst ever, and I’m not even saying anything controversial at all. You seem committed to constantly try to make yourself out to be the worlds leading expert (in whatever the topic). You certainly seem like an intelligent person, but why not limit yourself to helping those looking for answers or at least those that are actually wrong about something. Rhetorical question, no need to answer.

No, that's not what I implied. There is more to being a running backs coach than comprehending mesh point. But you could come to understand that concept in fifteen minutes, with your breathing impaired by an upper respiratory ailment, provided that you have coached football on the offensive side for a reasonable period of time at a level of high school or above. Do you meet those qualifications?

Way too much discussion, analysis and angst over the hiring of a position coach IMO. Its not like we have a say or our opinion counts. Its Franklin's program and he's doing pretty good (until the next loss or recruiting de commit)at which time 39% of the board or more will put him on double secret probation and 2%led by Mitchnitlion will put him on the hot seat.

I think some people thought a guy like Golden or Schiano were going to get hired, or maybe even Kijana, or Warner.
It doesn't work that way, if you are a position coach at an FBS school your body of work and reputation are out there. Coaches from schools like UTSA and UTEP move into the SEC.
Franklin knows.

If you weren't impressed with our RB coach hire, Mike Farrell disagrees with you.

https://n.rivals.com/news/ranking-recent-cfb-assistant-coaching-hires

Ranking recent CFB assistant coaching hires
1. David Corley – Penn State (running backs)

Corley comes to Penn State from Army, where he worked one year as the wide receivers coach. His most notable experience came at UConn from 2014-16, where he coached both the running backs and wide receivers. A former player and coach at William & Mary, Corley has deep ties to the Mid-Atlantic.

Farrell’s take: “Corley may not come from high-level recruiting schools, but James Franklin knows excellent recruiters and has been following Corley’s progress. He’s a good talent evaluator, gets the most out of his players and has worked so many different roles, including some in recruiting engagement. I think he becomes a big part of this staff as a recruiter.”

Reactions: T J and Ranger Dan
That's a reach. Corley was one regime removed from Moorhead's tenure at UConn. Neither of the OC's he worked with, Mike Cummings or Frank Verducci, are RPO guys, and neither would remotely be considered as offensive genii.
so you dont consider Frank Verducci an offensive genii?? Surprising. But he does look good in the team photo.
(and fwiw, iirc off the top of my head Mike Cummings had a cup of coffee at Marshall)

If you weren't impressed with our RB coach hire, Mike Farrell disagrees with you.

https://n.rivals.com/news/ranking-recent-cfb-assistant-coaching-hires

Ranking recent CFB assistant coaching hires
1. David Corley – Penn State (running backs)

Corley comes to Penn State from Army, where he worked one year as the wide receivers coach. His most notable experience came at UConn from 2014-16, where he coached both the running backs and wide receivers. A former player and coach at William & Mary, Corley has deep ties to the Mid-Atlantic.

Farrell’s take: “Corley may not come from high-level recruiting schools, but James Franklin knows excellent recruiters and has been following Corley’s progress. He’s a good talent evaluator, gets the most out of his players and has worked so many different roles, including some in recruiting engagement. I think he becomes a big part of this staff as a recruiter.”
I think that by now, we should all give CJF the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his decisions. Nobody is perfect, but he clearly has a plan and has done a fine job so far executing to this plan.

I think that by now, we should all give CJF the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his decisions. Nobody is perfect, but he clearly has a plan and has done a fine job so far executing to this plan.
this- I laugh scornfully at anyone who says or implies that they know better than CJF does

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT