ADVERTISEMENT

Current state of Penn State football. Who would have thought 6 years ago when we left for dead?

RTLH

Nov 7, 2001
We would never have a loosing season.
We would have another coaching change.
We would win a big 10 title.
We would win 11 games 2 seasons in a row.
We would have 2 top 10 finishes.
We would have a once in a generation type player.

The people at the top did not support the program. Either that or divided the entire University.
They killed the guy who basically built the school.

James Franklin eventually was chosen to clean up this mess.
Eric Baron and Sandy Barbour took over the University and athletic department.
Like them or not they look to stay in the background and let coaches do their jobs.
As far as personal feelings towards them never met Baron.
Sandy was very gracious to me and answered my questions one on one as the coaches caravan ended.

Some of the players who came here in 2013 and 2014 who formed the leadership and backbone for this group may not have come here if we did not have the issues.
Those recruiting classes were nice but the ranking was nothing special.
Some kids who would have shown interest just did not.
Some who had interest were real reluctant and went elsewhere.
Not the hoards of 4 and 5 star kids we once got nor are we getting now.
So what is so important about this.
Alot of the guys who came here did not have the greatest accolades when it came to their football ranking at the time. Maybe they saw an opportunity at the only true big time legendary school who offered.
We had to settle for some plan B guys.
Not to mention we lost our top assistant coach to one of our biggest rivals.
We have yet to dominate our biggest rivals but we have clearly closed the gap.
Bottom line is Franklin got these guys to play as a team. That may be one of the most difficult things to do in sports. You ever wonder what happens when you get the best draft picks or recruits but do not go anywhere and wonder what went wrong? Think you now have the answer.
Franklin had the stones to dismiss and suspend some players. A zero tolerance policy.
He made the tough decisions to move on from a few loyal assistants who were not getting the job done. A few others left. Its not a matter of losing great people. That happens everywhere, in every industry. Its a matter of how well you replace them.

Still has a few things to improve on.
Maybe game calling. IMO some other things he does, does cover for it.

Excellent spokesman for the University.

To Surma, Erickson, Emmritt, Frazier, Delaney and Corbett?
One word of advise. Never shit where you eat.

Somewhere Somehow CJF has made JoePa proud.

Not bad for a school left for dead for at least the next 10 years. I love making the "experts" look even dumber than they actually are.

Well, keep in mind that if - *if* - those sanctions had remained in place as proposed, things would be a lot different. They were meant to inflict 3-9 records for several years.

Having said that, it is remarkable how quickly things turned around.

Reactions: Bob78 and bdgan
A.E. Housman:

These in the days when heaven was falling
In the hour when earth’s foundation fled
Followed their mercenary calling
Took their wages and are dead

Their shoulders held the sky suspended
They stood and earth’s foundation stay
What God abandoned these defended
And saved the sum of things for pay

Reactions: Bob78
JVP built the program on a solid foundation. Not many teams could have withstood the storm. That comment is not meant to diminish the contributions of others.
Amen!! This has been my exact sentiments during this return to prominence while taking nothing away from CJF.

Reactions: m48tank
This team would have 23 straight games and been in the CFP if not for 3 games that were given away in the 4th quarter by a cumulative 7 points.

If you told me that in 2012, I would have thought you were nuts.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
Big props to all our senior classes 2012 to present.

My unofficial motto for them (paraphrased from various sources):

They tried to bury us.
They did not know that we were seeds.

The people at the top did not support the program. Either that or divided the entire University.

Like them or not they look to stay in the background and let coaches do their jobs.
Sandy was very gracious to me and answered my questions one on one as the coaches caravan ended.

Some of the players who came here in 2013 and 2014 who formed the leadership and backbone for this group may not have come here if we did not have the issues.
Alot of the guys who came here did not have the greatest accolades when it came to their football ranking at the time. Maybe they saw an opportunity at the only true big time legendary school who offered.
Bottom line is Franklin got these guys to play as a team. That may be one of the most difficult things to do in sports. You ever wonder what happens when you get the best draft picks or recruits but do not go anywhere and wonder what went wrong? Think you now have the answer.
Franklin had the stones to dismiss and suspend some players. A zero tolerance policy.
He made the tough decisions to move on from a few loyal assistants who were not getting the job done. A few others left. Its not a matter of losing great people. That happens everywhere, in every industry. Its a matter of how well you replace them.

I wasn't a big BOB fan. He didn't come right away to save what he could of our recruiting class. He said PSU was hiring a coach for the next 5 years but that was not his intention. He had lots of returning talent but still managed to lose to Ohio & Virginia.

We were very lucky to get Franklin. I think he looks at this as a career job. It's obvious that he works incredibly hard, that the players like him, and that he considers academics/citizenship a high priority. I think he cost us a game or two by going conservative too early but overall we couldn't have done much better.

Franklin inherited a much more depleted team than BOB. Nobody expected PSU to rebound so quickly. I credit Franklin's recruiting and some plan B players exceeding expectations. I'll mention two. Cabinda's only other major offer was Syracuse. He turned out great and has also been a great representative of the university. McSorley was not highly rated. I had concerns about his size but he's turned out to be one of the best PSU QBs of all time.

Franklin, some plan B players, and the kids that stayed all deserve credit for bringing the program back to national prominence. Just as much credit goes to the loyal fan base. PSU averaged 95,000 fans per game when it would have been easy to say they had enough. Few schools could have ever come back from the dead like PSU did.

Last edited:
We may go 8-4 In a season or 2.
How many will be calling for Franklin's head?
I expect 9-3 next year because DT lacks depth and LB and Safety are questionable. But no way would I call for Franklin's head. The recruiting has been great and I expect another top 10 finish in 2-3 years.

I love your post as it truly expresses my very thoughts on the subject.

Reactions: RTLH
I love your post as it truly expresses my very thoughts on the subject.
I just tell it like it is. Good or bad. I always have. When things were bad I told it like it was and some people just couldn't buy it. Excuse after excuse after excuse when we had 4 out of 5 losing seasons. I always say, your record is what your record is.
Too many people here on this board live in a fantasy world.
I don't live in a world of ifs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT