ADVERTISEMENT

Credit to Michigan, but Penix

IANit

Dec 8, 2002
Iowa
Did not show up. I remember in the lead up to this him saying in an interview that he didn't get nervous. I remember one of their games late in the season where he was on the sidelines looking away and maybe throwing up as the kicker lined up to attempt a kick. That didn't strike me as calm under pressure. He never seemed to settle down in this game.

Michigan won the LOS. When that happens on defense, the opposing QB can’t settle or get into any rhythm. He had happy feet. Washington’s OL got whooped as they had no chance with a banged up RB.

• Love
Reactions: bytir and WV Bruno
Did not show up. I remember in the lead up to this him saying in an interview that he didn't get nervous. I remember one of their games late in the season where he was on the sidelines looking away and maybe throwing up as the kicker lined up to attempt a kick. That didn't strike me as calm under pressure. He never seemed to settle down in this game.
I think he showed up and Michigan beat the hell out of him so he had a flashback to being at Indiana

Michigan might have the best coached offensive line I've ever seen. As we learned when we played them, their OL schemes are nearly perfect and produce huge holes for the running backs.

agree but the game was closer than it looked. There were two key plays in the second half. The first was the QB run deep in their own end after W scored a TD to close the gap to 7. I believe it was 3rd and long. That play flipped the field and stole some of the mo back. The second was the long pass to the TE over the middle. The S came up and thought he might have an INT so backed off to jump and catch the ball. The TE, at 6 6 snagged it with his fingers. Without that safety, he ran it all the way to the 6 where they punched it in to go up by 14 with only 5 minutes left. W had to take a chance and threw an INT that got returned deep into W territory. (I think that was a 4th and 13 play).

Credit to Michigan but W was in it. Also, no turnovers.

Lastly, so impressed with UM sticking to the running game. McCarthy was only 10 of 18 for 140 yards. But W defended the run well in the second half but UM just kept ramming it in there. Talk about having a personality and making the other team adjust to you. Also, of note, is the announcers said UM plays the "Ravens' defense". That defense has been good for over a decade.

Reactions: Phil's Rug
I actually think Allar played better against Michigan than Penix: last night was nothing short of a total choke. He missed 3 sure fire touchdown throws and another half dozen big plays with wide open receivers, and on top of that he panicked when he had wide open running lanes and played in his fear.

Sad.

Penix doesn't have a rifle for an arm, he has an assault weapon. Very often he throws too hard. He has little touch on his short throws.

Michigan might have the best coached offensive line I've ever seen. As we learned when we played them, their OL schemes are nearly perfect and produce huge holes for the running backs.
Sherrone Moore is on his way out at Michigan and headed for a HC position somewhere. I watched all of the key B1G games in 2023 and it was obvious that the difference between UM-OSU-PSU were the OLs.

Michigan protected McCarthy really well all year. He was basically untouched - for the most part. The same can't be said for Allar and McCord. And it was especially noticeable on OSU's last offensive drive against Michigan when their OL just collapsed ----- especially on that last interception when OSU's OL couldn't hold up. If he hits Marvin Harrison on the play, who knows, OSU is probably playing last night. In other words, OSU's OL sucked when it mattered the most

Reactions: northernbuck
#73 for Washington didn't help them with the three penalties either.

**** credit to Michigan. They've been cheating for 3 years, and their ill gotten gains contributed to their recruiting and transfer portal success.
Annoying that this is not connected as the reason for the success. Lou Holtz made a post coaching career as a public speaker as a great motivator and successful coach. This, despite his main mechanism of success was indisputably..cheating.

In both instances, the cheating led to wins….which led to better recruiting..:which leads to bigger wins.

When Terry Bowden took over cheating-ridden Auburn and promptly led them to an 11-0 record, he pleaded to be given relief from the bowl ban and be recognized as a National Champion or a chance to play for a 12-0 record. He too…:didn’t get it….he won with players Auburn would otherwise not have had but for cheating.

Last night, after 3 years of cheating and now playing with players he might have otherwise not had, Harbaugh got favor where Terry Bowden did not. Non-cheating Harbaugh was almost shown the door. Cheating Harbaugh has hardware

Yes. **** Michigan and their victim card. “Vs the World”.

Penix “did not show up” , as you say, because Michigan was in his face all night. If he had an extra second on most plays, it’s likely things would have been different.— Kudos to Michigan’s “D” , they brought back nightmares of Big 10 play /injuries to Penix’s psyche.

Reactions: LandoComando
Michigan is about to find out what happens when the script is flipped and now it's the world coming for them instead of vice versa. Get ready to be everyones target and get every teams super bowl against you.

Penix “did not show up” , as you say, because Michigan was in his face all night. If he had an extra second on most plays, it’s likely things would have been different.— Kudos to Michigan’s “D” , they brought back nightmares of Big 10 play /injuries to Penix’s psyche.
Actually I thought Penix faced as much if not more pressure from Texas. Missed a lot of passes he normally makes.

Sherrone Moore is on his way out at Michigan and headed for a HC position somewhere. I watched all of the key B1G games in 2023 and it was obvious that the difference between UM-OSU-PSU were the OLs.

Michigan protected McCarthy really well all year. He was basically untouched - for the most part. The same can't be said for Allar and McCord. And it was especially noticeable on OSU's last offensive drive against Michigan when their OL just collapsed ----- especially on that last interception when OSU's OL couldn't hold up. If he hits Marvin Harrison on the play, who knows, OSU is probably playing last night. In other words, OSU's OL sucked when it mattered the most
Totally agree with your comments I would add that McCarthy was also able to get more with his legs than either MCCord or Allar and that threat makes the whole offensive package really tough to defend.

Reactions: rrdd2021
Penix wasn't sacked often, but he was made uncomfortable on about 90% of his passing attempts. He was rushed, he had to move, he was distracted. That was the difference between the Texas game and last night.

Penix wasn't sacked often, but he was made uncomfortable on about 90% of his passing attempts. He was rushed, he had to move, he was distracted. That was the difference between the Texas game and last night.
That's what happens when you play teams with elite defenses, like Michigan, as well as OSU and PSU and even Iowa had this season. There's no way that Washington would've gone undefeated if they had played a Big 10 East schedule, and they received a little taste of what they and Oregon, USC and UCLA can expect beginning next season.

Michigan is about to find out what happens when the script is flipped and now it's the world coming for them instead of vice versa. Get ready to be everyones target and get every teams super bowl against you.

So you are not a Michigan guy. I guess you work for OSU.

They lose a ton of 4th and 5th year players and next year they play Texas, USC, at Washington, Oregon, and at OSU. They could lose anywhere from 2 to 4 games. I've seen Texas, Oregon and OSU already in many top 5, 2024 "too early" polls and Washington and USC will be top 15 to 20 teams. USC is tough to guage.......their season revolves around how much better their defense will be.

Bull. UM didn’t try a single pass on 2nd half and only a couple in 2nd qtr because they couldn’t protect the QB from our pass rush. Completely destroyed their pass protection and the QB was getting killed.

Their run blocking was good but not dominate. Got a field goal after a midfield fumble recovery then four straight punts. And Corum broke a couple long one to extend the lead. They were up by only eight points with less than five minutes left in game…… that’s not dominate.

Wrrroonnngggg!

Their pass protection against us was horrendous. QB was getting killed and they were losing yardage when attempting to pass. So bad that they attempted zero passes from the late 2nd qtr through the rest of the game!

I agree with Spin Meister on this one. Michigan oline couldn't Block our D line even a bit. We blew gap assignments on 4 or 5 running plays, had a pass inerference on 3rd and long and paid the price each time. But for those plays Michigan doesn't move the ball at all. Of course, we didn't move it at all either.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Yeah, hard to believe the Washington O-line won some award as nation's best. 73 was overmatched by speed and quickness.

Washington has a great center and tackles. They will be playing in the NFL.

Their guards on the other hand are simply JAGs.

Wrrroonnngggg!

Their pass protection against us was horrendous. QB was getting killed and they were losing yardage when attempting to pass. So bad that they attempted zero passes from the late 2nd qtr through the rest of the game!
It depends how you frame the narrative. Michigan chose to impose their will by running 32 straight plays, or they were forced to run because they couldn’t protect the QB. McCarthy took early hits and didn’t look good. Props to Michigan for being successful running the ball, but their passing attempts early were not working well.

It depends how you frame the narrative. Michigan chose to impose their will by running 32 straight plays, or they were forced to run because they couldn’t protect the QB. McCarthy took early hits and didn’t look good. Props to Michigan for being successful running the ball, but their passing attempts early were not working well.
Here’s their second half possessions…….got ball at our 49 after a fumble. Field goal. Then punt……punt……punt. Then a one play 30 yard YD by Corman. Not anything close to dominate.

Last edited:
Actually I thought Penix faced as much if not more pressure from Texas. Missed a lot of passes he normally makes.
Penix choked. Moment was too big for him. Very very similar looking game to the Oregon choke against Urban in 14.

Here’s their second half possessions…….got ball at our 49 after a fumble. Field goal. Then punt……punt……punt. Then a one play 30 yard YD by Corman. Not anything close to dominate.
Our defense plated well enough to win. The offense simply wasn’t good enough to win against a team that got points even when things weren’t clicking.

That's what happens when you play teams with elite defenses, like Michigan, as well as OSU and PSU and even Iowa had this season. There's no way that Washington would've gone undefeated if they had played a Big 10 East schedule, and they received a little taste of what they and Oregon, USC and UCLA can expect beginning next season.

UM's D is different from any of those and, in fact, probably any other D in college football.

Harbaugh got a huge assist from his brother in that his past 2 DCs were promising, young assistants from the Ravens (the DC that beat CJ Stroud is now the DC of the best D in the NFL).

So, UM's scheme is basically a Ravens-lite scheme build to defend against offenses like Day at dOSU and DeBoer at UDub (last night's results were fairly predictable).

Harbaugh is probably leaving for the NFL and will be taking his DC, Minter, with him.

Penix doesn't have a rifle for an arm, he has an assault weapon. Very often he throws too hard. He has little touch on his short throws.

Penix likely will be fine in the NFL - like another QB (who now plays for Houston) who didn't have great success against the Michigan D.

Penix is actually known for altering his velocity, angle, air time, etc of his passes, but he definitely missed on a few passes last night due to the combination of pressure and the UM secondary confusing him by throwing different looks at him.

OSU was not beating Bama in the Rose Bowl. That's the difference between them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT