ADVERTISEMENT

COVID vaccine: who has had it?

The questions must be going around. Ironically, we just got a University Email letting everyone know that mask mandates will remain on campus no matter if you have already had both the virus and the vaccine.

I am under the thought that by summer if we still have a mask mandate and shutdowns that people will start to flip out.

Reactions: katchthis
tenor.gif
Plus built in 6 foot people clearance. Nice

But if the vaccine is only 95% effective like was posted earlier and that’s why people still have to wear a mask even after getting the vaccine, then that means we will always have to wear masks because there will always be that 5%.
Uh, no. We get down to 5% then there are too few people that can spread it. It will die out at that point. May be occasional outbreaks just like we see with measles or small pox.

If it mutates, thats a different story and could be problematic. Thenagain, now that we know how to produce mRNA vaccines it might be fairly simple to change the mRNA in the vaccine to account for any mutations. It will also be likely they develop multivalent vaccines that can immunize for multiple variants in a single dose similar to the flu.

Uh, no. We get down to 5% then there are too few people that can spread it. It will die out at that point. May be occasional outbreaks just like we see with measles or small pox.

If it mutates, thats a different story and could be problematic. Thenagain, now that we know how to produce mRNA vaccines it might be fairly simple to change the mRNA in the vaccine to account for any mutations. It will also be likely they develop multivalent vaccines that can immunize for multiple variants in a single dose similar to the flu.
According to Cletus11, who I was originally responding to, 5% is still to high so we need to continue to wear masks.

unfortunately the politics of wearing a mask or not will eventually get much worse than it is now. as the country becomes more vaccinated and cases crops and fatalities go down, at what point do we go back to 'normal'. As been noted Covid 19 will never go away and it will always be out there. So at some point in the future, it will get ugly as to when masks come off, people are allowed to goto 100% dining inside, large indoor gatherings can occur, etc.... As the simple when there are zero cases literally will never happen.
You can say the exact same thing about the flu? When this thing drops below even the minimal levels the rallying cry should be "if you want to live in a bubble then by all means, stay in your home... the rest of the vaccinated/recovered public will resume normal programming".

Maybe there will be a yearly covid shot combined with yearly flu shot administered to elderly and anyone else that wants one.

But if the vaccine is only 95% effective like was posted earlier and that’s why people still have to wear a mask even after getting the vaccine, then that means we will always have to wear masks because there will always be that 5%.

I guess my point was(got distracted with work and didn't articulate my thoughts) that we don't have to wear masks to avoid\prevent getting the measles. I am thinking Covid will be same way once we get to that herd immunity thing and mostly everyone gets vaccinated.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I guess my point was(got distracted with work and didn't articulate my thoughts) that we don't have to wear masks to avoid\prevent getting the measles. I am thinking Covid will be same way once we get to that herd immunity thing and mostly everyone gets vaccinated.
Haven't you heard...it's the new normal. Anything is possible.

For the greater audience. Information sharing. Any side effects? Any issues?

got mine tonight. Wife got hers 3 days ago. No side effects or issues for her, nothing initially for me but I’ll report back if we get anything.

For the greater audience. Information sharing. Any side effects? Any issues?

got mine tonight. Wife got hers 3 days ago. No side effects or issues for her, nothing initially for me but I’ll report back if we get anything.

Got mine yesterday, Moderna, no problems, no ill effects.

Here in Ohio, they are now inoculating people over the age of 65. Nationally, 80%+ of COVID fatalities have been 65 or older. So, does this mean we should see a drop in mortality rates by 80%-ish over the next month or so?

that is damned exciting.
Just what I have been saying on the big thread for a couple weeks now. The negative nannies keep saying late spring before numbers drop significantly. I said March/April as the highest risk get their second shots. Numbers have already dropped some.

Cletus11 has been one of the more pessimistic posters on the thread.

I would say I posted that the 20M vaccine number by end of 2020 was a fallacy and was 100% correct on that. I said that I thought the initial vaccine roll out would not be good due to what I saw as lack of pre-planning which happened in about 40 of the 50 states, so correct on that. How fast the ramp up to 1M+ doses per day has surprised me so that I was incorrect on. Having 300M people vaccinated (or however many eventually do get vaccinated based on who is allowed to opt out) by end of year was my original prediction and even the media outlets and government are starting to do the simple math to show that is the most likely outcome.

So i would say that I am not negative but a realist who understands basic mathematics, manufacturing quotas, and logisitics.

I would say I posted that the 20M vaccine number by end of 2020 was a fallacy and was 100% correct on that. I said that I thought the initial vaccine roll out would not be good due to what I saw as lack of pre-planning which happened in about 40 of the 50 states, so correct on that. How fast the ramp up to 1M+ doses per day has surprised me so that I was incorrect on. Having 300M people vaccinated (or however many eventually do get vaccinated based on who is allowed to opt out) by end of year was my original prediction and even the media outlets and government are starting to do the simple math to show that is the most likely outcome.

So i would say that I am not negative but a realist who understands basic mathematics, manufacturing quotas, and logisitics.
What do you think about what I posted earlier? In Ohio, we are now inoculating people over 65 and/or a qualified comorbidity. Historically, 81% of the people who have died fall into that category. As such, we should be seeing close to 80% drop for COVID deaths since that age group is now inoculated (now, many are not taking it for whatever reason. The numbers I am seeing is 60% due to risks, scheduling, simple lack of interest, etc.).

The point is we should be seeing something north of mortalities being cut in half within a month

Reactions: dailybuck777

But you were very wrong on the most critical aspect of all, how soon do we see a major drop in hospitalizations and deaths, followed by how soon we can return to normal or near normal. The hospitalizations and death are already starting to drop and will dramatically in late Feb/March. You kept predicting summer time before a big improvement.

Something like 80-85% of deaths are 70 and over, 60-65% nursing home residents. They are all getting shots now, many already have second shot. Gonna make a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think about what I posted earlier? In Ohio, we are now inoculating people over 65 and/or a qualified comorbidity. Historically, 81% of the people who have died fall into that category. As such, we should be seeing close to 80% drop for COVID deaths since that age group is now inoculated (now, many are not taking it for whatever reason. The numbers I am seeing is 60% due to risks, scheduling, simple lack of interest, etc.).

The point is we should be seeing something north of mortalities being cut in half within a month
Serious question not political I think
Someone over 65 with Heart problems gets the Vaccine.
A month later dies of a Heart attack.
Cause of Death is recorded as ??????
Seriously now will politics or Fed Funding $ affect this?

Reactions: bison13
Serious question not political I think
Someone over 65 with Heart problems gets the Vaccine.
A month later dies of a Heart attack.
Cause of Death is recorded as ??????
Seriously now will politics or Fed Funding $ affect this?
Hank Aaron died two weeks after getting first shot. Lots of people speculating about the shot causing his death but no official statement indicating such.

But you were very wrong on the most critical aspect of all, how soon do we see a major drop in hospitalizations and deaths, followed by how soon we can return to normal or near normal. The hospitalizations and death are already starting to drop and will dramatically in late Feb/March. You kept predicting summer time before a big improvement.

Something like 80-85% of deaths are 70 and over, 60-65% nursing home residents. They are all getting shots now, many already have second shot. Gonna make a big difference.

fatality rate has not gone down yet, actually has gone up this week per my previous posting. the over 65+ group (and under 65 at high risk) once vaccinated will drive down hospital and fatality to near nothing. That group won't be fully double vaccinated until end of Memorial day at current rate such that by the time we see the fatality and hospital rate get to near zero will be May timeframe. I stick by that. We will start to see those numbers go down (assuming the vaccine is working) in mid-february as fatality typically trails by 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the first Pfizer dose today. So far no side effects. Not even a sore arm. But it’s only been five hours.

any updates optimistic/positive preferred 😉
Positive updates. I have a lot of personal experience and connections due to a healthcare job. I have done Pfizer vax x 2 no problems. Minor arm soreness after the first dose. A breakdown of some others working in my office-
Moderna x 1 dose- 6 people , one with mild aches and weakness for a day
Pfizer x 2 doses- 5 people , one with mild fever and aches for a day after 2nd dose.
I'd say about 50% with arm soreness, mostly mild, not one person missed work.

The hospital system I work with has vaccinated about 10k people, including those who have received only one dose. A few people felt a flu like wipe out after the second dose. Locally, I have not heard of any anaphylaxis ( the life threatening type of allergy) or any bizarre circumstances to date.

Last edited:
For those in group 1A who still need to schedule the vaccine- there are spots currently open at Wellspan (York hospital and affiliates).

You have to create a “MyWellspan account” (very easy- blue box about 1/3 of the way down link) then you can schedule your time and location online.

Where do you see this? When in the system this is the message I get.

OVID-19 Vaccine Availability
Due to the high demand for the COVID-19 vaccine, all available appointments have been filled. We ask for our community’s patience as we work to make more appointments available. Appointments will depend on vaccine availability.
Lancaster people were driving to St Luke’s in Bethlehem . It was in today’s paper . It’s worth a “shot”. They are doing the general public . IIRC I believe the age there is 65 and up .

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00 and Agoodnap
Where do you see this? When in the system this is the message I get.

OVID-19 Vaccine Availability
Due to the high demand for the COVID-19 vaccine, all available appointments have been filled. We ask for our community’s patience as we work to make more appointments available. Appointments will depend on vaccine availability.

EDIT: They actually have appointments available. Thank you @psu00.

For anyone interested they are giving them out to 16 and above with medical conditions or above 65. Create and account per the above instructions. Than ignore the big note that says they are filled and click the "make an appointment" box on the right side. Choose "Covid Vaccine 1st Dose" and off you go. You have to choose a location. I chose two locations and the earliest time available was 2/15, but many times and dates available to schedule.

You can also close ‘all locations’ and then ‘all providers’ and it will list the openings at all their 22 (or so) sites listing the earliest appointments first. You can then choose the location and time you want.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Don't know if this was posted earlier, but apparently this person died from Pfizer vaccine. "X-ray technician Tim Zook’s health went into a sharp decline after receiving the second shot and he was eventually transferred to the University of California, Irvine Medical Center where he died Jan. 9."

Does any know when Johnson & Johnson is getting approved. I read they are very close to the end of the trial approval process

Just wanted to flex on this a bit....there were those suggesting there wasn't going to be any gaming of the vaccine. Aside from Barkley's comments, I've seen a dozen of these articles

200.gif

I got my second Pfiser vaccination yesterday( Healthcare worker). My arm is slightly sore but not Advil worthy. Nothing else.

Does any know when Johnson & Johnson is getting approved. I read they are very close to the end of the trial approval process

Fauci said they will submit to the FDA in 2-3 weeks last week. So most likely looking around third week of February for FDA approval and start of shipping if things go according to plan. Still a question as to how many doses J&J has stockpiled (appears to be in single digit million only) and what is their manufacturing capacity.

I got the first Pfizer dose today. So far no side effects. Not even a sore arm. But it’s only been five hours.

Day two, sore arm for sure. Feels like I took a solid knuckle punch to the shoulder. No other side effects at this point.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
I didn’t post it, so maybe you’re asking the wrong person. Or maybe you’re playing dumb (or not playing).

No, I'm talking to you. Your point about always wearing masks because there is a 5% chance you'll get the virus was so silly, I thought you may be purposely playing dumb.

No, I'm talking to you. Your point about always wearing masks because there is a 5% chance you'll get the virus was so silly, I thought you may be purposely playing dumb.
I didn’t say that, the poster I was responding to did....duh.

People like you who jumped into the fire on this thing deserve a stack of Get Out of Jail Free cards. Many thanks for being part of the solution
Happy to say you're welcome from lots of people, Pharmacy company personnel, first responders, and am sure many families like yours who had a resultant game plan to survive this nasty virus.

For me: got my first Pfizer shot yesterday, blood draw and swab up the nose.
Like my normal yearly flu shot:no pain,tenderness in my arm today.
Next shot in three weeks,,and swab up the nose.
After that, as part of the vaccine study program no more swabs, or blood draws.
Just periodic telephone " How's your health " phone calls.
A piece of cake ending for me.

Bout it for now.
Best to all. I enjoy popping on by this board: especially reading some of the OT threads.

Go State's, and

,,,cheers

Got my first Pfizer over a week ago-just some soreness at injection site.
Haven’t read this entire thread but reason you have to wear mask after getting the vaccine is that vaccine only protects you from getting the virus symptoms. You can still get the virus (with no symptoms or sickness) and, without a mask, spread it to others. So, from what I understand, we’ll be wearing masks until most people have been vaccinated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT