ADVERTISEMENT

COVID vaccine: who has had it?

So California is dead last of all the states in giving out the shots and Monterey County is one of the worst counties in California. So no I haven't had my shot yet and don't have an appointment either. I turn 70 this week. Just another reason to want to leave this terrible state.

So California is dead last of all the states in giving out the shots and Monterey County is one of the worst counties in California. So no I haven't had my shot yet and don't have an appointment either. I turn 70 this week. Just another reason to want to leave this terrible state.
Hell.....even Sly Stallone is selling his California home and moving to Florida. I have two new neighbors here in Texas.....both moved out of So Cal. Both were born and raised in California....one moved his business here. The other is a Surgeon who was recruited here.

I’m looking for a location that has it available. I’m 72 and the only place I’ve located is only providing it to those over 75. Anyone know of a location in SE Pa or vicinity? Thanks
Last I saw the Rite Aid sites were full, although that can change depending on when you check.

I don’t know the Philly sites. If you don’t mind driving I’d check the Wellspan (York hospital) site as they seem to be the most organized in the Harrisburg, Lancaster, York area.

Attached is the PA Dept of Health site showing the sites with the vaccine and links to them (tap on green dot, then tap on arrow on the right after their name to connect to their info and sign up links) .

In the update dept.: Got a call from a Pfizer rep yesterday.
Asked if I wanted to continue being A member of their two year study program:
I said fine.

Then said I'd be getting a call on Monday from the authorized Pfizer "Unblinding" spokesperson re the shots I received months ago.
Would have the Vaccine or Placebo answer for me.

If it was the Placebo, then I'd start getting the Vaccine shots later in the week.

,,,cheers and
Stay 😷Safe😷
Got the word today: Placebo shots months ago.
Will be getting first Pfizer shot Thursday morning.
With Pfizer's approval I expect to remain in their two year study.

Enjoyed everyone's posts in this thread.👍

See ya around.

,,,cheers

See ya around.

,,,cheers
Go get em! Thanks again.......and hope you have minimal to zero side affects from the real deal.

Edit: for a Sparty guy, yer ok!

Got my first shot yesterday. No issues thus far but wouldn’t want a hard punch in the left arm just yet. Just a little tender. They did 3000 yesterday at the site and it was incredibly well organized. From the time I was cleared into the building to when I left was just a bit over 25 minutes. and that included the mandatory 15 minute post shot supervised wait. I was automatically enrolled for a slot on 2/21. Impressively well organized.

Got mine Friday at the University of Kentucky football stadium (Kroger Field). Very efficient. I couldn’t have been more impressed with the way it operated. No side effects other than having to get up at 3:30 to urinate though in retrospect, that may have been more a side effect of the Sierra Nevada.

Got my first shot yesterday. No issues thus far but wouldn’t want a hard punch in the left arm just yet. Just a little tender. They did 3000 yesterday at the site and it was incredibly well organized. From the time I was cleared into the building to when I left was just a bit over 25 minutes. and that included the mandatory 15 minute post shot supervised wait. I was automatically enrolled for a slot on 2/21. Impressively well organized.
May I ask where was this well run place? State, government run or private business?

See ya around.

,,,cheers
People like you who jumped into the fire on this thing deserve a stack of Get Out of Jail Free cards. Many thanks for being part of the solution

Ours was managed by St Mary’s Pharmacy in Elk County. I’m not sure if the county set up the clinic or SMP had a contract with them? I’m guessing the latter. I wrote my local commissioners today recommending that they get in touch with those folks. One of the three has already written back.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
How is scheduling going for everyone? Is this normal - my in-laws (over 65, existing conditions, etc.) saw a story on ABC news (they live in Bucks Co.) about a website where you could find local clinics/pharmacies who have the vaccine. They found a place close to them, called last Friday (the 22nd) and scheduled appointments to be vaccinated yesterday (for themselves as well as an older aunt). They show up, are the only ones there, and get their first shots. My FIL tells me he overhears one of the receptionists on the phone telling a customer there is a wait list of about 1,500. Was this news story a big thing? Is this typically what's happening in PA? The other bit of news I heard is that if you're over 65 and a vet, you can get a shot at a VA hospital (in PA, not sure if everywhere else). True?

How is scheduling going for everyone? Is this normal - my in-laws (over 65, existing conditions, etc.) saw a story on ABC news (they live in Bucks Co.) about a website where you could find local clinics/pharmacies who have the vaccine. They found a place close to them, called last Friday (the 22nd) and scheduled appointments to be vaccinated yesterday (for themselves as well as an older aunt). They show up, are the only ones there, and get their first shots. My FIL tells me he overhears one of the receptionists on the phone telling a customer there is a wait list of about 1,500. Was this news story a big thing? Is this typically what's happening in PA? The other bit of news I heard is that if you're over 65 and a vet, you can get a shot at a VA hospital (in PA, not sure if everywhere else). True?

yeah, appears the way you get a vaccine is to do a lot of searching online and sign up for as many places as possible and then get lucky to be in the right spot at the right time with a location that has just opened up to register and you happen to have found them before their allotment is gone. most stories I have heard of people getting them is via that route.

Have my shot on Thursday. I asked if I could have the one with the microchip. They told me they all have them. I’m so happy. 😀

Another question: Why do I need to continue to wear a mask if I have already had both the virus and later the vaccine? Serious question, I have no idea.

Another question: Why do I need to continue to wear a mask if I have already had both the virus and later the vaccine? Serious question, I have no idea.

Vaccine only is I think in the 95-98% effective so there is that couple percent that even though have the vaccine can still get covid. plus there is no way to tell who had the vaccine or not to be able to know who should where a mask or not i think is a practical reason.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Got my Pfizer shot on Sunday. no pain, no discomfort from injection. Yesterday felt like reaction to allergies- itchy nose, sneezes. Today feel fine. Looking forward to next shot and start moving forward.

Reactions: Bizzlepizzle

My understanding is that even though you are vaccinated you could potentially still be a carrier and spread it to those not yet vaccinated. I could be wrong but that is what my kids are telling me.

My understanding is that even though you are vaccinated you could potentially still be a carrier and spread it to those not yet vaccinated. I could be wrong but that is what my kids are telling me.

Thank you. Makes sense I guess. I suppose I was looking for the end game to this whole thing. when masks aren't going to be needed. Is that maybe never?

Crazy thing is, if you follow the #'s I don't even know what that gets you. With the virus you have a 99.9% chance of survival? Then the vaccine is 95% effective against it? I don't even know what to do with those numbers but they seem to me like a mask is no longer necessary.

Basically why should I have to wear a mask if someone else doesn't want to get the vaccine?

Thank you. Makes sense I guess. I suppose I was looking for the end game to this whole thing. when masks aren't going to be needed. Is that maybe never?

Crazy thing is, if you follow the #'s I don't even know what that gets you. With the virus you have a 99.9% chance of survival? Then the vaccine is 95% effective against it? I don't even know what to do with those numbers but they seem to me like a mask is no longer necessary.

Basically why should I have to wear a mask if someone else doesn't want to get the vaccine?
The studies only checked for moderate or severe disease after the vaccinations They did not check for mild disease or asymptomatic disease. In theory, these groups could infect someone. Although the risk of this minority causing an infection is quite low. Also as stated above, they are not 100% effective.
IIRC on the Pfizer information sheet given to me pre-shot, it states something like 95% effective in preventing moderate or severe COVID-19 disease.
In the short run, mask wearing will still be encouraged. Some docs feel like it should soon lead to an end in mask wearing for the vaccinated as a reward for the participation in preventive medicine.

Got my Pfizer shot on Sunday. no pain, no discomfort from injection. Yesterday felt like reaction to allergies- itchy nose, sneezes. Today feel fine. Looking forward to next shot and start moving forward.
Goy my Pfizer shot yesterday, sore arm and a little tired today. Very slight headache that an Advil took care of.

As others have said... the vaccines prevent symptoms. It has not been confirmed that they prevent incubation, replication and/or transmission. Meaning: vaccinated persons can still contract and transmit COVID, but they will be protected from the symptoms. Therefore, the recommendation to continue distancing and masks. In addition, there are variants emerging which the vaccines may, or may not, be effective.
Actually it means they didn’t study that so they don’t know with any certainty. Unlikely to transmit it but no one knows for sure.

Plus it’s complicated. After a vaccine one will have antibodies to attach to and destroy any that enter the blood stream. That should stop the virus from infecting cells and being replicated. So you won’t be making viruses and spreading them around that way.

However, say you are exposed to someone shedding viruses. It will be inhaled through the nose and exist there for many hours, perhaps longer. Every time you exhale, cough, sneeze, talk you could be spreading viruses even though they never entered the bloodstream, infected you, and replicated. You could even spread it just by hand contact or other ways.

As herd immunity is approached there will be much fewer viruses in the ecosystem so it should be safe to go maskless at that point. Assuming no major mutations..........

All IMO.

Reactions: TheBigUglies
Vaccine only is I think in the 95-98% effective so there is that couple percent that even though have the vaccine can still get covid. plus there is no way to tell who had the vaccine or not to be able to know who should where a mask or not i think is a practical reason.
So basically we will be wearing masks forever.

Reactions: CentexLion

unfortunately the politics of wearing a mask or not will eventually get much worse than it is now. as the country becomes more vaccinated and cases crops and fatalities go down, at what point do we go back to 'normal'. As been noted Covid 19 will never go away and it will always be out there. So at some point in the future, it will get ugly as to when masks come off, people are allowed to goto 100% dining inside, large indoor gatherings can occur, etc.... As the simple when there are zero cases literally will never happen.

It seems scheduling is very hit or miss. Most seem to be signing up in multiple spots waiting to see which opens up first.

As for the VA- I had a neighbor get theirs there when they went in for something unrelated so that’s definitely an opening for vets to use.

Double masks are even better per the latest scientific news. If you are not doubling up, then you don't have any concern for your fellow humans. Moderna CEO also dropped the news that we'll continually need booster shots, that this is just like the flu. Yearly money grab for pharma or is this refuting the 99% effectiveness of the double shot? Guessing it is 99% effective for "that strain only". Just like the flu.

“I believe SARS-Cov-2 is going to stay with humans forever,” Bancel said in an interview with Yahoo Finance Live. “We're going to have to have boosts adapted to a virus, like we have for flu. It's the same thing, they are both mRNA viruses, and we're going to have to live with it forever.”

If two masks work could you imagine 5? 5 masks plus a face shield and not too mention at least 6 feet apart. Life is going to be awesome.

Double masks are even better per the latest scientific news. If you are not doubling up, then you don't have any concern for your fellow humans. Moderna CEO also dropped the news that we'll continually need booster shots, that this is just like the flu. Yearly money grab for pharma or is this refuting the 99% effectiveness of the double shot? Guessing it is 99% effective for "that strain only". Just like the flu.

“I believe SARS-Cov-2 is going to stay with humans forever,” Bancel said in an interview with Yahoo Finance Live. “We're going to have to have boosts adapted to a virus, like we have for flu. It's the same thing, they are both mRNA viruses, and we're going to have to live with it forever.”
There was no science stating that two masks are better than one, it was Fauci saying it's common sense that 2 are better than 1.

There was no science stating that two masks are better than one, it was Fauci saying it's common sense that 2 are better than 1.
Of course not. That is why I called it Science News, versus Science Fact. ;) Certainly was reported as fact, and many are treating it so. And why only cover up three head holes. Wouldn't covering all 7 logically prevent more cases (no hands to eyes, ears, nose, mouth)? These bubonic guys really had it down. Doesn't this look better than an N95 mask for Covid?

9536458016cbddc028cee59be21064d2.jpg

I guess the other reason I want to get the vaccine is so that we can get past this pandemic. I remember Fauci saying the

From CDC website
Two doses of MMR vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing measles; one dose is about 93% effective.
Measles is a serious disease that can lead to complications and death
Measles is a very contagious disease caused by a virus. It spreads through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes. In fact, the measles virus can stay in the air for up to 2 hours after an infected person was there. So you can get infected by simply being in a room where an infected person once was. It is so contagious that if one person has it, up to 90% of the people close to him or her will also become infected if they are not protected.

Measles starts with fever. Soon after, it causes a cough, runny nose, and red eyes. Then a rash of tiny, red spots breaks out. It starts at the head and spreads to the rest of the body.

I don't think we will be wearing masks forever. Eventually once the majority are vaccinated\herd immunity we will no longer be required to wear masks. I am reading that it may be sometime in the fall when we reach herd immunity or something like that. Fingers crossed....

I guess the other reason I want to get the vaccine is so that we can get past this pandemic. I remember Fauci saying the

From CDC website
Two doses of MMR vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing measles; one dose is about 93% effective.
Measles is a serious disease that can lead to complications and death
Measles is a very contagious disease caused by a virus. It spreads through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes. In fact, the measles virus can stay in the air for up to 2 hours after an infected person was there. So you can get infected by simply being in a room where an infected person once was. It is so contagious that if one person has it, up to 90% of the people close to him or her will also become infected if they are not protected.

Measles starts with fever. Soon after, it causes a cough, runny nose, and red eyes. Then a rash of tiny, red spots breaks out. It starts at the head and spreads to the rest of the body.

I don't think we will be wearing masks forever. Eventually once the majority are vaccinated\herd immunity we will no longer be required to wear masks. I am reading that it may be sometime in the fall when we reach herd immunity or something like that. Fingers crossed....
But if the vaccine is only 95% effective like was posted earlier and that’s why people still have to wear a mask even after getting the vaccine, then that means we will always have to wear masks because there will always be that 5%.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT