ADVERTISEMENT

Couple observations from the Iowa tape (and implications for Michigan)

stormingnorm

Aug 2, 2017
Always a caveat when looking at just one game - - - - - that caveat being "How good was the opponent".
FWIW, I didn't think Iowa had that much on offense coming in - aside from two REALLY good TEs. I felt their OL was only OK, and Stanley and the WRs pretty pedestrian, and the TBs only useable.

That said, on Defense:

DL:
1) The entire starting defensive front was outstanding. Truly.
Givens and Windsor owned the Iowa G-C-G... and everyone saw how well Matos (and Miller) played.

2) Between them, Givens and Windsor had 29 snaps were they "got a clean chest" (my term for DTs shedding their blocks and showing the front of their Jerseys to the offensive backfield)…. that is an incredibly high number - and every time that happens, any time a DT gets clean penetration, it spells FUBAR for the offense. Windsor's best game as a Lion, and another great game for Givens.

3) Along the D front, the number of "Gold Star" plays (plays that make you say "WOW" when looking at the tape):
Windsor - 2 , Givens - 5, Matos - 4 , Miller - 3, Toney - 1
(I'm a fairly tough "grader".... "WOW" plays are pretty rare in my book. This was by far the most this year)

4) There were occasions - but only a handful - where the DTs got run out of a play (one of the dangers of shooting aggressively) but only a few …... and DEFINITELY worth the tradeoff of FUBARing the Iowa ground game on multiple occasions and making nearly every drop back uncomfortable for Stanley.

DB:
1) The secondary was very, very good as well.

2) Huge kudos to all the safeties who played - especially Scott (3 "gold star" plays - probably the best game of his career, IMO, even without the late pick), Reid (3 "gold star" plays - looked like the Reid of 2016). But Amani (1 "gold star"), Taylor, Sutherland, Fields and even a couple snaps for Monroe all graded highly. Reid in particular had some very nice plays at the LOS as well (shooting and stuffing a short yardage run, and a real nice slot blitz)… and if Taylor could run back pics as well as Reid did, PSU would have won both the OSU and MSU games :)

3) Not much more to say except that they shut down Iowa's downfield pass game almost completely - and prevented Iowa from doing "Iowa Things" with their TEs..... and run support was very good - and at times OUTSTANDING (especially from the Safeties - very solid)

LB:

1) Overall, probably the most solid 55 minutes of play from the group (the second to last Iowa series was ugly) - very few FUBARs overall .... but also very few outstanding plays - so a bit of a mixed bag.

2) 36 probably had one of his lesser games - he's played better. He was very "sticky" against Iowa (when he got blocked, he usually stayed blocked - not what you want to see from a LBer)
Brown was solid. Parsons was solid - and he just gets involved in more plays per snap than any other PSU LBer - Posluzny was like that (and shows flashes - including having the largest "kill radius" of any of the PSU LBers). #13 was also solid in limited work.
I didn't record Miller #9 as having any defensive snaps. Same for Luketa (but he did have one stellar play in punt coverage)

3) Parsons, as expected, came in earlier than he had been (came in on second series), and played a lot. More snaps at box LBer than Farmer did - Parsons took more Box LBer snaps than anyone except Johnson.

4) Hate to "pick on" one guy - and I'm not, aside from just listing what I saw: Farmer had 5 FUBARs (which is an improvement over the last few weeks, but still worst on the D). Farmer was actually having an "OK" game until the next to last series - - - - the one that ended with the Scott goal line pick.
On that ONE SERIES - at the most critical time of the game - Farmer made THREE HUGE FUBARs (again, hate to pick on one guy, but he has been a killer in critical situations)

1 - Was bumped off of the edge by a wideout on an edge play.... letting that WR get the best of him was bad enough, but then failed to pursue with any intensity and allowed the back to turn a corner he should NEVER have turned (this was the VERY BIG GAINER play that was fortunately overturned with the back stepping on the chalk line - preventing an even bigger gain). On the play, DT Givens (who ALWAYS pursues like a demon) - who was rushing the passer, and 15-20 yards further from the point of attack, pursued and ended up being more closely involved in the stop than was Farmer. That just can't be.
2 - Was fooled and lost contain on an end around. This would have been a HUGE gainer if not for great play by #21 (who did a great job - all by himself on an island - fighting a blocker to seal the edge) and #17, who pursued 2/3 of the width of the field to beat the ball carrier to the edge and hold it to a 5 yard gain.
3 - An open field "whiff" on a critical play (3rd and 10) where he not only "whiffed" the ball carrier by 5 feet, put then only put in a half-hearted pursuit downfield.

That series was a real shame, because otherwise, he was better then he had been.

Brown: 66 snaps (he did get some relief on Saturday - but not from Miller, instead - also as expected, Farmer took the relief snaps at Field LBer)
Farmer: 45 snaps
Parsons: 39 snaps (some as a pass rusher in nickle sets)
Johnson: 39 snaps
Ellis: 15 snaps

A couple interesting (to me) overall notes:

As expected (hoped) PSU mixed in more two-deep (to what had been a largely one deep scheme most of the year). That worked REALLY well to shut down the Iowa TE game. They LOVE to exploit the middle of the field with those two guys - and PSU and Brent Pry said "NO". Kudos to the defensive staff.
Even when they got the TEs some touches late, they were plays that were Contested, Short Throws, and Near or Against the sidelines - just where you hope to contain them.

PSU also mixed in a little more Zone underneath - which the executed OK. But they are somewhat better in their man-under IMO (which makes sense given how much more they run it)

Couple other Odds-and-Ends:

Windsor's favorite animal is NOT the Zebra....The facemask call on Windsor was BS (his hand came across the top, outside of the helmet and only caught the area where the facemask screws into the outside of the helmet - - not a penalty),
AND
He recovered Stanley's fumble (the one the Ref originally ruled as "PSU Ball"). I think the Ref told CJF he (the Ref) had made an inadvertent mistake - - - - but Windsor definitely had control of the ball underneath him, while lying on the ground (the Iowa OL pried it out after the fact), and that was the reason for the initial call..... the play should have been reviewed and overturned - much like the fumble recovery by PSU in the Fiesta Bowl game).
And this - for Windsor - on top of the "defensive holding" call earlier this year. Ugh.

2) Not sure if anyone talked about Parsons' "Lavar Leap" on the early kick by Iowa (I think it was their first FG). I am not sure if ANYONE really understands the 'leaping rule", but he simply leapfrogged (with one hand on the OG's butt, the other on the OC's butt) and flew over the two of them and landed cleanly on the other side..... and very nearly blocked the kick. I THINK this is legal, so long as you never step on a guy, get "assistance" with the jump, run into the Center from the front, or land on a guy... but who knows, especially in the B10 :)

PSU DID NOT go back to his at any time later in the game (in fact, I don't even think Parsons was on the field for the other placekicks)….. I would not be surprised to see this move come out at a critical time vs Michigan. #11 is a freak.

3) The guy who likely FUBARed the trickeration play off the fake FG? That was probably Farmer … Ugh.
Iowa kinda set that up with what they did on the first FG - where they ended up running out the play clock and took the meaningless penalty…. my guess is they wanted to see how PSU would react.
They used pre-snap motion to cause confusion - and I think (though it would be impossible to know for sure, without being in the PSU training sessions) that the motion confused Farmer and he ended up leaving #90 unobstructed - and it should have been his responsibility (Shaka Toney ended up being the only one to touch him off of the line, but he was one of the four down linemen - and Johnson was late coming over from the middle of the field trying to break up the play - - - - but I think it was - based on the formation - likely Farmer's responsibility).

Anyway, Where does that leave PSU?
IMO.... Very well played defensive game against a competent offense.
And "finding one more quality LBer" away from being REALLY good. Seriously good.
Enough said.

What about the UMich game?
If they can continue to get the penetration up the middle - they will befuddle the UMich ground game and force Patterson out of his comfort zone. How much better is the Michigan OL than the Iowa OL? We will likely find out. UMich does also often use a FB - which can sometimes help to pick up some of those FUBARs - but that takes an extra guy out of the mix... so its a tradeoff for them.
I can't imagine PSU won't run a very similar scheme vs UMich - who also tries to pound that interior run game and use the TEs (they also have two good ones - but not as good as Iowa's). UMich definitely has scarier outside guys - athletically - but they really haven't made them a integral part of their offense, as of yet they have been "once or twice a half" type playmakers.

Fewer short possessions from the O would certainly help as well - because that 1st team PSU D-Line -, if they don't have to substitute a lot - is really, really coming on. (90, 100, and 90 plays in consecutive weeks is just too damn many)

Curious, does Scott lose a star for whiffing and getting hurdled Barkley-style?

Thanks for putting this out there.. this is really great stuff. Additional thought and question to add.. Our defense is coming of age so to speak. Some of the young guys are looking more comfortable in space (Parsons) and Matos is becomming a beast. I am an admitted homer but I think after the Mich game people will be talking about our defense, not theirs. Question about O line grades.. thought they did fine in pass blocking but really seemed to struggle in the run game. Your observations seemed pretty positive overall.. how do you think they graded out specific to run?

Reactions: step.eng69
The thing that gets me is that if we had played a cleaner game, we would probably have won by a couple of TD’s. Few teams could have overcome the sort of mistakes we made in the first half.
After watching the replay, I think I was too critical of Farmer. True, he had some 4th quarter mistakes, but he looked exhausted, as did Brown. Our LB depth problem is in it’s 3rd season.

Reactions: stormingnorm
DL:
Givens and Windsor owned the Iowa G-C-G... and everyone saw how well Matos (and Miller) played.

2) Between them, Givens and Windsor had 29 snaps were they "got a clean chest" (my term for DTs shedding their blocks and showing the front of their Jerseys to the offensive backfield)…. that is an incredibly high number - and every time that happens, any time a DT gets clean penetration, it spells FUBAR for the offense. Windsor's best game as a Lion, and another great game for Givens.

I didn't go back and watch the tape like you did, but did Windsor really play his best game ever? On the Iowa base run play, they almost always ran at him with an initial double then either the guard or tackle would slide off to the LB. It seemed to me it was all Winsor could do to hold the point and not get blown back. I get it, when you are getting doubled, the best you can really hope for is to stalemate them, but he never seemed to split it for any tackle for loss.

He also has the annoying habit of repeatedly jumping off-sides even when the ball is right in front of him. I'll give him credit, the kid gives his all with the talent he has.

No :)

That Hockenson kid is the real deal - he is a nightmare for any DB, or LB for that matter (better then Fant, IMO, and I felt that way all year)…..

And Scott saved PSU's bacon more than once on Saturday.
Thanks storming,
appreciated the review
3b76d8304f4fb754aa0981b0bde8d18d.jpg

A How much better is the Michigan OL than the Iowa OL? We will likely find out. )

Impressive write up. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Regarding the Michigan OL, on paper, Iowa's OL is significantly better than Michigan's, but I think Michigan's has improved since the start of the season.

If you are into advanced stats, it looks like OL metrics have Iowa slightly better than Michigan, but not as much as I would have expected.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol

Using more traditional stats, Michigan has given up 4 more sacks on the year than Iowa and they (Michigan) are averaging 1 more yard per carry than Iowa.

Reactions: Grant Green
Now in all seriousness — you cannot post these great analyses for a long period, then leave the board over fighting (JonZ) or get tied up with “work and obligations” excuses like BMW always seems to! .

Great stuff

I have not listened to it yet, but the SEC modeling guys (whose model doesn't factor in home field advantage) have the PSU-UM game as a 1 point PSU win.

Might be worth a listen (I've listened to their stuff before and it's pretty good).

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Always a caveat when looking at just one game - - - - - that caveat being "How good was the opponent".
FWIW, I didn't think Iowa had that much on offense coming in - aside from two REALLY good TEs. I felt their OL was only OK, and Stanley and the WRs pretty pedestrian, and the TBs only useable.

That said, on Defense:

DL:

3) Along the D front, the number of "Gold Star" plays (plays that make you say "WOW" when looking at the tape):
(I'm a fairly tough "grader".... "WOW" plays are pretty rare in my book. This was by far the most this year)

4) There were occasions - but only a handful - where the DTs got run out of a play (one of the dangers of shooting aggressively) but only a few …... and DEFINITELY worth the tradeoff of FUBARing the Iowa ground game on multiple occasions and making nearly every drop back uncomfortable for Stanley.

DB:

2) Huge kudos to all the safeties who played - especially Scott (3 "gold star" plays - probably the best game of his career, IMO, even without the late pick), Reid (3 "gold star" plays - looked like the Reid of 2016). But Amani (1 "gold star"), Taylor, Sutherland, Fields and even a couple snaps for Monroe all graded highly. Reid in particular had some very nice plays at the LOS as well (shooting and stuffing a short yardage run, and a real nice slot blitz)… and if Taylor could run back pics as well as Reid did, PSU would have won both the OSU and MSU games :)

3) Not much more to say except that they shut down Iowa's downfield pass game almost completely - and prevented Iowa from doing "Iowa Things" with their TEs..... and run support was very good - and at times OUTSTANDING (especially from the Safeties - very solid)

LB:

1) Overall, probably the most solid 55 minutes of play from the group (the second to last Iowa series was ugly) - very few FUBARs overall .... but also very few outstanding plays - so a bit of a mixed bag.

2) 36 probably had one of his lesser games - he's played better. He was very "sticky" against Iowa (when he got blocked, he usually stayed blocked - not what you want to see from a LBer)
Brown was solid. Parsons was solid - and he just gets involved in more plays per snap than any other PSU LBer - Posluzny was like that (and shows flashes - including having the largest "kill radius" of any of the PSU LBers). #13 was also solid in limited work.
I didn't record Miller #9 as having any defensive snaps. Same for Luketa (but he did have one stellar play in punt coverage)

3) Parsons, as expected, came in earlier than he had been (came in on second series), and played a lot. More snaps at box LBer than Farmer did - Parsons took more Box LBer snaps than anyone except Johnson.

4) Hate to "pick on" one guy - and I'm not, aside from just listing what I saw: Farmer had 5 FUBARs (which is an improvement over the last few weeks, but still worst on the D). Farmer was actually having an "OK" game until the next to last series - - - - the one that ended with the Scott goal line pick.
On that ONE SERIES - at the most critical time of the game - Farmer made THREE HUGE FUBARs (again, hate to pick on one guy, but he has been a killer in critical situations)

1 - Was bumped off of the edge by a wideout on an edge play.... letting that WR get the best of him was bad enough, but then failed to pursue with any intensity and allowed the back to turn a corner he should NEVER have turned (this was the VERY BIG GAINER play that was fortunately overturned with the back stepping on the chalk line - preventing an even bigger gain). On the play, DT Givens (who ALWAYS pursues like a demon) - who was rushing the passer, and 15-20 yards further from the point of attack, pursued and ended up being more closely involved in the stop than was Farmer. That just can't be.
2 - Was fooled and lost contain on an end around. This would have been a HUGE gainer if not for great play by #21 (who did a great job - all by himself on an island - fighting a blocker to seal the edge) and #17, who pursued 2/3 of the width of the field to beat the ball carrier to the edge and hold it to a 5 yard gain.
3 - An open field "whiff" on a critical play (3rd and 10) where he not only "whiffed" the ball carrier by 5 feet, put then only put in a half-hearted pursuit downfield.

That series was a real shame, because otherwise, he was better then he had been.

Brown: 66 snaps (he did get some relief on Saturday - but not from Miller, instead - also as expected, Farmer took the relief snaps at Field LBer)

As expected (hoped) PSU mixed in more two-deep (to what had been a largely one deep scheme most of the year). That worked REALLY well to shut down the Iowa TE game. They LOVE to exploit the middle of the field with those two guys - and PSU and Brent Pry said "NO". Kudos to the defensive staff.
Even when they got the TEs some touches late, they were plays that were Contested, Short Throws, and Near or Against the sidelines - just where you hope to contain them.

PSU also mixed in a little more Zone underneath - which the executed OK. But they are somewhat better in their man-under IMO (which makes sense given how much more they run it)

Windsor's favorite animal is NOT the Zebra....The facemask call on Windsor was BS (his hand came across the top, outside of the helmet and only caught the area where the facemask screws into the outside of the helmet - - not a penalty),
AND
He recovered Stanley's fumble (the one the Ref originally ruled as "PSU Ball"). I think the Ref told CJF he (the Ref) had made an inadvertent mistake - - - - but Windsor definitely had control of the ball underneath him, while lying on the ground (the Iowa OL pried it out after the fact), and that was the reason for the initial call..... the play should have been reviewed and overturned - much like the fumble recovery by PSU in the Fiesta Bowl game).
And this - for Windsor - on top of the "defensive holding" call earlier this year. Ugh.

2) Not sure if anyone talked about Parsons' "Lavar Leap" on the early kick by Iowa (I think it was their first FG). I am not sure if ANYONE really understands the 'leaping rule", but he simply leapfrogged (with one hand on the OG's butt, the other on the OC's butt) and flew over the two of them and landed cleanly on the other side..... and very nearly blocked the kick. I THINK this is legal, so long as you never step on a guy, get "assistance" with the jump, run into the Center from the front, or land on a guy... but who knows, especially in the B10 :)

PSU DID NOT go back to his at any time later in the game (in fact, I don't even think Parsons was on the field for the other placekicks)….. I would not be surprised to see this move come out at a critical time vs Michigan. #11 is a freak.

3) The guy who likely FUBARed the trickeration play off the fake FG? That was probably Farmer … Ugh.
Iowa kinda set that up with what they did on the first FG - where they ended up running out the play clock and took the meaningless penalty…. my guess is they wanted to see how PSU would react.
They used pre-snap motion to cause confusion - and I think (though it would be impossible to know for sure, without being in the PSU training sessions) that the motion confused Farmer and he ended up leaving #90 unobstructed - and it should have been his responsibility (Shaka Toney ended up being the only one to touch him off of the line, but he was one of the four down linemen - and Johnson was late coming over from the middle of the field trying to break up the play - - - - but I think it was - based on the formation - likely Farmer's responsibility).

And "finding one more quality LBer" away from being REALLY good. Seriously good.
Enough said.

If they can continue to get the penetration up the middle - they will befuddle the UMich ground game and force Patterson out of his comfort zone. How much better is the Michigan OL than the Iowa OL? We will likely find out. UMich does also often use a FB - which can sometimes help to pick up some of those FUBARs - but that takes an extra guy out of the mix... so its a tradeoff for them.
I can't imagine PSU won't run a very similar scheme vs UMich - who also tries to pound that interior run game and use the TEs (they also have two good ones - but not as good as Iowa's). UMich definitely has scarier outside guys - athletically - but they really haven't made them a integral part of their offense, as of yet they have been "once or twice a half" type playmakers.

Fewer short possessions from the O would certainly help as well - because that 1st team PSU D-Line -, if they don't have to substitute a lot - is really, really coming on. (90, 100, and 90 plays in consecutive weeks is just too damn many)

Nice post.

Farmer with more snaps than Parsons & Johnson is a problem (especially during crunch time). Ellis looked good in limited time. He seemd to provide a spark just like Dotson did on offense. I was surprised the staff didn't give those guys more PT.

I still don't tlike how we bring the LBs up to the LOS and blitz so often. A lot of plays got to the second level and Taylor was the only defender remaining (which means a 10-15 yard gain).

The problem with our DTs is lack of depth. Michigan will pound away at those guys and wear them down. Any thoughts on Shelton and Mustipher?

I'm not as optimistic about Michigan as you are. IMO the key is to hold them to FGs, win turnovers, and have a more creative offensive scheme (Direct snaps, wheel routes, etc.). We also need Friermuth and JJ healthy.

I enjoy reading these breakdowns and appreciate the way you stay positive. I recently reviewed the personnel lost from last year and it kind of recalibrates your expectations. This team is doing well.

Nice to see Mustipher and Brooks getting some snaps. Both are talented guys at positions of need. Brooks looked good going sideline to sideline.

Good job by coaches to get the guys ready to play at a sustained level of intensity. CJF’s recruiting efforts were on display last Saturday with team speed and pursuit to the ball.

Just a FWIW (and only one guys gut hunch): I don't see PSU as a favorite - I think Vegas has it about right (assuming their 10 point spread also gives PSU about one shot in four to win outright - I haven't seen a money line yet).

But - IMO anyway - that is primarily because PSU has been a "WTF Machine" the last month - Two Punt team safeties :), God knows how many dropped picks and unrecovered fumbles, inexplicable drops etc - - - - and some less than impressive scheming on the O side ……. those are all fixable things (more so than simply being unable to block or tackle, not having athletic talent and experience, for instance)… so I think PSU COULD go out to AA and play better than Michigan.
But until they do clean up the "WTF"s, its hard to assume that they will this week.... IMO.
Some of this (especially the fumbles) is "puck luck" and will almost certainly even out over the course of the season. Clearly our WR *can* catch the ball; Thompkins may have snapped out of his slump last week. Maybe Johnson does the same this week. If we catch balls, minimize penalties and finally get a fumble to bounce our way, I think it's a coin flip type game.

No :)

That Hockenson kid is the real deal - he is a nightmare for any DB, or LB for that matter (better then Fant, IMO, and I felt that way all year)…..

And Scott saved PSU's bacon more than once on Saturday.
Thanks for that post, Barry. I wish I had time to look at every play. One question on the pick inside the 5 yard line by Amari. It looked to me as if the receiver, Fant, was either distracted or not paying attention at the snap. Did you see it that way?

Thanks for that post, Barry. I wish I had time to look at every play. One question on the pick inside the 5 yard line by Amari. It looked to me as if the receiver, Fant, was either distracted or not paying attention at the snap. Did you see it that way?
not Barry but... this one with #4? Yes it looks like something is going on, both sides...

Darn turf monster gets credit for the tackle or Nick has 6 points.

OL
Yeah, his "shoulda had" stats would also include a fumble recovery, and a TD on a return of Indiana's on-side kick late in that game.

Nick is not a "good hands" guy but plays hard and seems to be a leader.

That said, on Defense:

DL:

DB:

LB:

AND

Enough said.

Great post! Do you have thoughts on what was happening near or on the last couple Iowa series' with Parsons? It looked like he was unsure who to cover when Iowa had a slot receiver, TE and RB on Micah's side. At one point one of the safeties came up and yelled at him. Then near the end he had his hand in the dirt and appeared to be an interior DL pass rusher (not even an end rusher). Just wondering. Overall love the kid and think he is going to be one of the LB-U good ones. Thanks.

Michigan's defense gave up 94 total yards of offense to MSU. That was with backups giving up some yards on the last drive of the game. I think PSU is going to have a hard time protecting the Qb. They flat out dominated MSU in every faze of the game. This is the fastest D the Big ten has seen in years. Its gonna be tough because UM has made this their biggest payback game of the year. It should be fun.

That said, on Defense:

DL:

DB:

LB:

AND

Enough said.

Excellent post, Barry, except for the misspelling of ‘nickel’ ;). Try not to do it again:D.

Michigan's defense gave up 94 total yards of offense to MSU. That was with backups giving up some yards on the last drive of the game. I think PSU is going to have a hard time protecting the Qb. They flat out dominated MSU in every faze of the game. This is the fastest D the Big ten has seen in years. Its gonna be tough because UM has made this their biggest payback game of the year. It should be fun.

if you think Stanley was bad against us, Lewerke was 5-25 for 20% against Michigan. Stanley threw 36%. The MSU win isn't that impressive

Reactions: PSU2UNC
FWIW (Not much):

Franklin - in his press conference - just confirmed that this (see below - what I had written about in the discussion of the Iowa tape) was indeed the case on the fake FG TD pass - in his press conference.

Looked a little "excited" (agitated?), in a kind of "What the F can I do - these guys should know better" kind of way:

"3) The guy who likely FUBARed the trickeration play off the fake FG? That was probably Farmer … Ugh.
They used pre-snap motion to cause confusion - and I think (though it would be impossible to know for sure, without being in the PSU training sessions) that the motion confused Farmer and he ended up leaving #90 unobstructed - and it should have been his responsibility (Shaka Toney ended up being the only one to touch him off of the line, but he was one of the four down linemen - and Johnson was late coming over from the middle of the field trying to break up the play - - - - but I think it was - based on the formation - likely Farmer's responsibility)."

It was in the last question he answered (which was something to the effect of "Why are you having trouble executing on special teams")
it certainly appears that way, somebody had their eyes in the backfield and not on their man.

Michigan's defense gave up 94 total yards of offense to MSU. That was with backups giving up some yards on the last drive of the game.

Interesting note on that last MSU drive.

It consisted of 9 yards rushing, 9 yards passing, -20 yards in sacks and 50 yards of Michigan penalties.

So in Sparty's longest drive of the day which totaled 48 yards they actually gained -2.

Thanks for reading...now back to your regularly scheduled Michigan bashing.

Go Blue!

UM 27
PSU 21

Fewer short possessions from the O would certainly help as well

Yes, this is the key IMO. The defense is getting better and playing better. however, if the offense cannot move the ball, we end up wearing down in the fourth quarter and Michigan wins going away. Trace and the receivers need to play their best game of the year IMO.

I think the poster may have a new career (or at least a weekly thread I would enjoy reading)! Great post!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT