ADVERTISEMENT

Could PSU break the NCAA scoring record in 2018?

This article has Nick Lee at 141, Jered Cortez at 133, and Matt McCutcheon at 197. By now, we know that two of those, are incorrect: Jered Cortez has moved to 141, Matt McCutcheon will be moving on, and most likely Anthony Cassar will occupy 197.
The current question mark, is who will wrestle 133.

The points situation, however, remains similar, in two of those three weights, according to the writer. Again, the question mark, is 133, or 125, if you believe those who claim Suriano is moving up to 133.

I'm as excited as anyone as to how well PSU did this year at NCAAs and really enjoyed being there. We had a perfect semis and finals. We are odds on favorites to win next year. But we have to remember that the odds are, not all our champs will repeat next year. They all very well could (obviously), but it will be very tough. IMar, Massa, Bo Jordan, Z Valencia are all back and all could win the next time around. I like our guys and our guys' chances, but I'm not ready to consider locks for all our guys.

Don't worry. They would find a way to rationalize. it. ;)
Penn State could have 6 champions, 2 runner-ups and 2 round of 12 and you would be able to find a thread wanting to discuss how there is too much emphasis on champions. Or something similar.

Penn State could have 6 champions, 2 runner-ups and 2 round of 12 and you would be able to find a thread wanting to discuss how there is too much emphasis on champions. Or something similar.

Well they currently have a thread dedicated to the need to "over-haul the NCAA scoring system" because PSU won "with only 6 AAs", while Okie State had 8??? Interesting that the same scoring system didn't need to be "over-hauled" when Iowa won their NCs??? Now one Champion, two 4th places, two 5th places, two 6th places and a 7th place should score more than 5 Champions and a 5th place, when non-bonus scoring (i.e., advancement and placement) for 1st is worth 20 points and a 4th or 5th is worth less than half that???

Reactions: Cosmos
Well they currently have a thread dedicated to the need to "over-haul the NCAA scoring system" because PSU won "with only 6 AAs", while Okie State had 8??? Interesting that the same scoring system didn't need to be "over-hauled" when Iowa won their NCs??? Now one Champion, two 4th places, two 5th places, two 6th places and a 7th place should score more than 5 Champions and a 5th place, when non-bonus scoring (i.e., advancement and placement) for 1st is worth 20 points and a 4th or 5th is worth less than half that???
Generally, I think that thread is pretty interesting with a lot of good debate. I, personally, am opposed to a change at this time, but there are some interesting ideas presented. The idea I oppose the most is any reduction in bonus points. After all, the whole idea is to work for the fall, right? One of the main reasons they tried to eliminate wrestling from the Olympics was that it was not exciting. Therefore, any thing which would tend to reward a team for going for bonus would only promote an exciting brand of wrestling. Hmmm...what a concept.

Reactions: purescurve
Generally, I think that thread is pretty interesting with a lot of good debate. I, personally, am opposed to a change at this time, but there are some interesting ideas presented. The idea I oppose the most is any reduction in bonus points. After all, the whole idea is to work for the fall, right? One of the main reasons they tried to eliminate wrestling from the Olympics was that it was not exciting. Therefore, any thing which would tend to reward a team for going for bonus would only promote an exciting brand of wrestling. Hmmm...what a concept.

Interesting if you find a bunch of whining, beatch, PSU-hater Iowa fans to be "interesting" I suppose...to each his own I guess. I'd call the thread many things, but "interesting" would not be one of them...

I posted in the thread.
Short of turning things upside down the outcome is going to be the same. The best team won.
I do not want backside bonus diminished, I don't want bonus touched period.

Frankin is right. There are some posters who think the scoring could be tweaked, but the whole idea of the original poster was Okie St with 8 AAS (1 champ) should have been closer than 40 points.
It is an exercise in rationalization looking for a way to bring a lesser team effort closer to a greater team effort.
It is so funny. It's called, "If you can't beat them, change the rules!"

The challenge now is the same as it was from the mid 70's to the late 90s.
Improve recruiting and devolpment. The only difference is now everybody is chasing Penn State and then it was Iowa.

Reactions: Cosmos
Oh man ... tough to guess now without the benefit of seeing the 2018 season unfold. But I'd give PSU a 50/50 shot if there are not injury or redshirt surprises.

As the FLO article states, it will be less than a 10% likelihood for BOTH Cenzo & Hall to repeat as champs at 165 & 174 - but at the same time we'd be absolutely shocked if they don't both finish at least 5th with pile of bonus.

Even if Cenzo & Hall finish 2nd/3rd, PSU would have a solid shot at 170.

Just a stab in the dark ( order of 25/33/41 could change):
Suriano - 22
Cortez - 6
141 - 4
Zain - 27
Nolf - 27
Cenzo - 18
Hall - 18
Bo - 26
197 - 8
Nevills - 15

That's 171.
And none of those individual scores appear ultra-optimistic.

IMO that would kill wrestling..Nobody wants to watch Heil, Collica win matches 3-1 or something close to this. This encourages stalling and no activity. This also a clear shout out that they cannot and will not attempt to battle Penn State on the mat. Please with the 6 AA this is still a very good number. Okie State went in healthy..we where down 2 wrestlers. This number could have very well been 8. Wrestler world is not going to climb to our level to beat us, looks like they would rather bring us back to their level. What a bunch of losers. As a wrestler growing up...I thought we where tough. What happen?

I guess they are off the dual championship match...since that was the latest greatest way to beat PSU wrestling...until we wrestled Okie State 2x and beat them silly. (while losing one of our top wrestlers). Right, and the rest of the field failed to live up to their commitment.
All this makes me admire Cael more and more.

Wrestler world is not going to climb to our level to beat us, looks like they would rather bring us back to their level. What a bunch of losers. As a wrestler growing up...I thought we where tough. What happen?

This may be the fans approach but I think we are seeing lots of evidence that major programs can and will chase us by changing their game. Don't see the major programs backing away from us at all. Just like Gable rose the tide in wrestling, Cael is doing the same thing.

I'm as excited as anyone as to how well PSU did this year at NCAAs and really enjoyed being there. We had a perfect semis and finals. We are odds on favorites to win next year. But we have to remember that the odds are, not all our champs will repeat next year. They all very well could (obviously), but it will be very tough. IMar, Massa, Bo Jordan, Z Valencia are all back and all could win the next time around. I like our guys and our guys' chances, but I'm not ready to consider locks for all our guys.
I agree on those four matches. I would take those 4 the next time around vs our 4 if i had to bet but i think a split is very possible. Valencia > Jordan

We could if everyone stays healthy. I didn't read the article but do they mention the change in scoring that happened in 2013 I think? It used to be that the bracket was a 64 man bracket so a win after a bye was worth 2 points. That changed and now it is a 32 man bracket with a pigtail. Under the old system we would have scored an additional 8 points this year, 1 for each of our 8 first round wins.

Reactions: lionlover

Sure it's possible. Hype train is on full steam right now. But what happened this year was super rare - only happened three other times. And to get the record we'll need to at least repeat the feat, if not break it. That would be an insane historical achievement. Do I think it's possible? Sure, but the math in my head is saying pump the brakes a little bit. I hope we can do it, that would be so cool.

PSU can top 170 with "only" 4 champs.

Don't need 5 or 6 champs.

I show the numbers above.

You're correct. Just the way I think these things shake out, usually it ends up the results are dictated by the stars of the day. That's my intuition at least. Very, very difficult to get the entire team firing on all cylinders on a given day, let alone at the big dance. Either way, breaking the point record this year, if it happens, would probably be the best coaching performance...ever.

The good thing is Cael has the guys focused on getting better, tying new things and not worrying about it if things don't work out.

The "board" was worried when Joseph looked like crap against Stanford.....worried when the shirt was pulled and Hall lost to Meyer......worried when Sorenson closed the gap almost all the way on Zain.....worried when the team was divided because Bo selfishly moved to 184......worried when Lee and Teasdale committed to Iowa.

We are going to be a better team next year. Why worry if that is enough to break some scoring record. The record is held by a team which might not win a match against us next year.:)

The good thing is Cael has the guys focused on getting better, tying new things and not worrying about it if things don't work out.

The "board" was worried when Joseph looked like crap against Stanford.....worried when the shirt was pulled and Hall lost to Meyer......worried when Sorenson closed the gap almost all the way on Zain.....worried when the team was divided because Bo selfishly moved to 184......worried when Lee and Teasdale committed to Iowa.

We are going to be a better team next year. Why worry if that is enough to break some scoring record. The record is held by a team which might not win a match against us next year.:)

"The Board" was not worried when the shirt was pulled. Many of us were in favor of the shirt being pulled. "The Board" was not worried when Hall lost to Meyer. Many of us realized that having your first match at Carver Hawkeye, is like being thrown into a fire. "The Board" was not worried when Lee and Teasdale committed to Iowa. It was very early in the process and Gavin is a level headed, intelligent young man who we felt would eventually be in the family he loved, and loved him.

"The Board" is more than 5 or 6 posters who constantly pile on and circle jerk each other.

:)
SMACK! Ouch! I felt that through my screen.

I think they have a realistic chance of the all time record if Nick Lee doesn't redshirt and Cortez is also in the lineup. With this whole Cortez to 141 thing who knows what Cael has in mind. The one thing we do know for sure is that Cael has far more information about the situation than we do.

The one issue I would have against Flo's calculations are that I would think that Nick Lee would put up more than the 6 points they have penciled in.

The one issue I would have against Flo's calculations are that I would think that Nick Lee would put up more than the 6 points they have penciled in.
Not surprising at all. 6 points is an AA, 8th Place finish. With what's back at 141, and IF Nick goes (we're a long way from that), I'm thinking it's more than fair for now.

Reactions: lionlover
"The Board" was not worried when the shirt was pulled. Many of us were in favor of the shirt being pulled. "The Board" was not worried when Hall lost to Meyer. Many of us realized that having your first match at Carver Hawkeye, is like being thrown into a fire. "The Board" was not worried when Lee and Teasdale committed to Iowa. It was very early in the process and Gavin is a level headed, intelligent young man who we felt would eventually be in the family he loved, and loved him.

"The Board" is more than 5 or 6 posters who constantly pile on and circle jerk each other.
Is this the same "Board" that insisted, numerous times, that we needed 8 scoring wrestlers at nationals to win?
The same "Board" that stated that tOSU's weightlifting program gave them the hammer for weight classes 174 thru 285?
That "Board"??

Reactions: diggerpup
Is this the same "Board" that insisted, numerous times, that we needed 8 scoring wrestlers at nationals to win?
The same "Board" that stated that tOSU's weightlifting program gave them the hammer for weight classes 174 thru 285?
That "Board"??

No points. You need to do better than that to join up. Laundry detail, they take extra starch I believe, get on it.

No points. You need to do better than that to join up. Laundry detail, they take extra starch I believe, get on it.
No points? You're right, that is exactly how many points the "Board" gets for their never ending incorrect rants. Has the "Board" admitted they were in error?

No points? You're right, that is exactly how many points the "Board" gets for their never ending incorrect rants. Has the "Board" admitted they were in error?

You are not "the board". The board, is a MESSAGE BOARD, and you have yet to show you know a single thing about WRESTLING.

You are not "the board". The board, is a MESSAGE BOARD, and you have yet to show you know a single thing about WRESTLING.
Are you the "Board"? And your prediction of PSU needling 8 scoring wrestlers to win nationals shows you know wrestling? LOL!

I'm more concerned about the guys achieving their goals. I'll take my chances with the team scoring record.

Seems like 10 points from 33 and 141 might be a stretch considering the uncertainty surrounding those two weights next year. Can't argue with any of the other logic. Too much high end production for anyone to catch, without a lot of things going right.

But I still hold out hope!
While many assume Cortez is going to 141, I think we need to wait and see if that plays out as rumored. I think the lineup is stronger with Cortez at 133. It gives the team a couple of good options at 141: N Lee, K Moss or B Pipher.

While many assume Cortez is going to 141, I think we need to wait and see if that plays out as rumored. I think the lineup is stronger with Cortez at 133. It gives the team a couple of good options at 141: N Lee, K Moss or B Pipher.
Was trying to catch up, it seems like a few rumors of Suriano to 33 pushing Cortez was the explanation. I guess anything is possible. Not bad options to have. Like El-Jefe says, if the young men reach their personal goals, the scoring will take care of itself. Unless our guys(and the bucknuts, and Hawkeyes, etc) reach their goals....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT