ADVERTISEMENT

Collegiate Duals 2.0

Love AB. Never thought I’d see him lose another college match. Just goes to show anyone could take an L. Feel bad for Coleman if they meet again.

Feel good about Van Ness. Not concerned. RBY is so good in every position it’s wild how much he’s progressed each year. Little Beau going to be in every match, looks strong for the weight and always in control. Carter was off tonight it happens. Facundo solid defensively but can’t see him scoring on Carr if they wrestled 2 more times. I hope Levi is our guy at 157. Steen..we’ll, tough 2 days.

MAD MAX!! Total control!! Nice win!

Enjoy the holidays boys!
AB--actually probably will benefit the team as I doubt he loses again this year

Van Ness--I see top 4. Good to get a good feel and the natural hunger to improve

Beau--not sure. Could place or nothing. Too close against good opponents. I wonder if a move to 33 next year is a consideration

Carter--not worried

Facunda--similar to Beau. Be in every match, not sure about offense on elite opponents

Levi--better option if PSU feels they need him

Steen--should be very solid next year. Doubt Howard completes a year

Reactions: hlstone
I’m still not sure about Levi. Look at RBY freshman year and now. Not sure I want to take away later years Levi for Levi-now. I’m not sure I see difference making points this year.
Run him, we got a lot of horses coming in soon, might as well use him. If they are ready, and it sure appears like he is, then why hold him back?

I’m on board, but want to hear more. Continue…
Not much more to say really. I think we are a better team at 149 to 165 than we were last year. 2 of 3 freshman lost tonight but I was impressed with their showing and think they will be even better come March. Levi may stay in redshirt but even then I think we are a better team top to bottom.

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat
No more PSU wrestling until Jan 6th
Emotion Reaction GIF

Because Bartlett, SVN and facundo are going to place. I didn’t see facundo doing this well. Thought he would struggle offensively. But his pace (and SVN) are going to be a huge weapon come end of the season.

Bartlett looks like a for sure top 5.

And Haines? He could just be bonus. Kerk daddy is the clear #1.
Bartlett looks good so far this year, but we probably shouldn't draw any conclusions from today. Redding is their backup 133.

Gave up four takedowns all one each in all four losses. The difference in each match.

I’m still not sure about Levi. Look at RBY freshman year and now. Not sure I want to take away later years Levi for Levi-now. I’m not sure I see difference making points this year.
I agree with that but we are going to have a big logjam soon with the recruits coming in so going this year might help alleviate some of that. Plus 157 is wide open this year. I sure wouldn’t put Levi in the title conversation but he can definitely AA

Brooks got caught. It happens...

...but it won't happen again.

Better it happen in December than March. He will see Coleman again and that match will look very different from this one. History shows that with Brooks.

Oh by the way Max is back.
Could you possibly let us know the last time Brooks "Got Caught" ? Please...no photos in diapers :)

Reactions: mcpat
Very entertaining match and good for our guys. 7 PINs vs CMU does nothing for us other than to build overconfidence. Dresser's teams are very well coached.

I think Brooks was pinned btw, which would have made the match even that much more interesting.

Rankings matter coming out of bigs, not so much before Santa gets up to his full sleigh weight.

The last time, I looked we have always had some challenges in Dec/Jan. It's hard to say we weren't in a pretty damned good physical shape and mindset for this event. Loved SVN going after it at the end in particular, I think the kids learned to open it up a bit. Even with solid victories, I wish I saw just a little bit more aggression from Beau and Levi considering the competition, but heck it's December. Both Alex and Shane have the monkey of their backs now freshman undefeateds have not been the most friendly of things to PSU heading into bigs whereas freshmen with a loss or two have done some amazing things. Growth comes from some adversity. Shane and Alex both confirmed they are right there.

Well, Cael's record is safe once again, we'll have to wait for Sealy, PJ Duke, Bo Bassett...

Last edited:
I don't know but as far as Haines goes I've seen enough. Run him now so that he's ready in March.

I don’t think he realizes Keckelsein has 2 losses. Hidlay and Brooks. Either way. Who cares where Brooks is seeded. It’s like when Nolf was seeded 6. Did anyone have any doubts?
Brooks seeding is irrelevant.

But Beau, Van Ness and Facundo...it matters.

I don’t think he realizes Keckelsein has 2 losses. Hidlay and Brooks. Either way. Who cares where Brooks is seeded. It’s like when Nolf was seeded 6. Did anyone have any doubts?
Keckeisen has 1 loss. The Brooks match was an exhibition. It might subconsciously trickle into the coaches' ranking, but otherwise won't be part of seeding.

Regardless, Brooks wasn't the 1 seed last year. Worked out OK.

(Also, Jason was the 3 seed. Kemerer was the 6 seed.)

Keckeisen has 1 loss. The Brooks match was an exhibition. It might subconsciously trickle into the coaches' ranking, but otherwise won't be part of seeding.

Regardless, Brooks wasn't the 1 seed last year. Worked out OK.

(Also, Jason was the 3 seed. Kemerer was the 6 seed.)
Yes I remember when it subconsciously trickled in when a Zahid was seeded ahead of Mark. Didn’t matter then and it don’t matter now.

Reactions: donboy6499
It won’t matter, Aaron is the best kid in the country, but the All-Star match isn’t (supposed to be) part of the seeding equation.

If Carter were the post-match interview every time, the compiled transcript would be the Post of the Year.
I’m just happy Carter is confident enough to be himself and doesn’t spew the “just happy to be here” and “I just want to help the team any way I can” clichés.

Reactions: Ja1339
Aaron was looking at a tough semis any way you slice it. Even as the 1 seed, he would likely have gotten someone like Munoz or Coleman (who as we see, isn't afraid to mix it up with him) Him wrestling a familiar foe might not be a bad thing overall.

If the coaches wish to hedge their bets, the next 2 duals are against Indiana NQ Model (6-1 so far this year) and Lewan.

If he beats Lewan, that wraps up the decision.
I think Lewan and Paniro should wrestle on Pay-Per-View. No overtime Ride-outs. First one to actually shoot and score. It will surely outlast Suriano/Fix. Consider the NIL deals that would be available..... Sominex would be the perfect Sponsor :)

We think alike in this matter.

Reactions: mcpat
I think Levi can compete with anyone at 157 by late March, mainly because there isn't one juggernaut (who blows it open and just dominates everyone) but he obviously can go 1-2 also.

He would be another bullet to fire in the team race. His career accomplishments (being a 4x AA, how ever many time champ, points score yada yada) would be maximized with a redshirt but who knows if that's what the kid is going for? He committed to PSU thinking he'd be a 174/184 after his junior year, which likely meant he was not going to get 4 NCAAs at one point.

I think the kid is pushing to go big time.

It's like watching
Cenzo wrestle Isiah White. Van Ness forward stalking and Johnson never even leaning forward let alone actually stepping forward.
Hard to believe that Johnson could wrestle that style at nationals and not get dinged … hard to take a good shot at someone who’s strategy is moving around and backwards.

Hard to believe that Johnson could wrestle that style at nationals and not get dinged … hard to take a good shot at someone who’s strategy is moving around and backwards.
White rarely got dinged. Cenzo had to beat his head for over 7 minutes to sufficiently wear him out and then take him down in the OT period.

Hidlay wrestles Brooks with 1 1/2 feet oob and has been dinged twice.

Van Ness is most likely going to have to learn big time patience or develop something that provides severe angles.

Even though it was a bummer to see Aaron lose, he showed great sportsmanship in the loss. His response didn't surprise me at all. He seems to be an awesome young man. I see him taking the loss in stride and not letting it define him going forward. I still view him as a big favorite at the National tournament. And as others have mentioned, his loss just highlights how amazing Cael's 159-0 was.

It won’t matter, Aaron is the best kid in the country, but the All-Star match isn’t (supposed to be) part of the seeding equation.
The only real damage this loss does for Brooks is that he won't be considered for the Hodge.

This won't change Brooks's seed. No one is going to rank a 1-loss Keckeisen ahead of a 1-loss Brooks. The other seeding criteria will likely be a push, Coach's rank will put Brooks as the 1 seed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT