ADVERTISEMENT

Colin Cowherd

Thank god that assclown cataldi retired and they fired that PSU hating PSU Alum misinelli now if WIP can just get rid of that horse faced Rhea Hughes I might listen once in awhile
She is part of the Temple cult that turned their backs on Cosbys victims.

On another note about sports talk radio, I have noticed recently that a lot of sports talk show hosts and other sports commentators, both national and local, now are using the word "dude" to such a preposterous extent that I have to believe that a bunch of 30-year old programmers got together and made a collective decision to insist that they use this word based on research. For example, whenever I listen to the afternoon show on The Fan in Pittsburgh, which is admittedly not often because that station is just a bunch of commercials interrupted by a few minutes of sports talk, the hosts, and especially one of them, and now many of their regular weekly guests now use this word incessantly.

In general, these vapid sports talking head shows are an embarrassment to people who want some intelligent opinions about sports, and their elimination can't come soon enough. Also, in a lot of markets, there just is too much sports talk and not enough different teams or topics about which to talk. Take the Pittsburgh market for instance, which is where I live; there just aren't enough local teams or local topics of interest to support almost 16 or 17 hours of local sports talk on The Fan, which is what they have when they the Pirates or Pitt aren't playing. Moreover, from late July until the NFL Draft, the topics of these shows are so myopic in that they focus almost exclusively on the Steelers with just a little hockey talk in the winter. It's just so redundant and boring, which is why I listen almost exclusively to the sports programming offered by satellite radio.
Here in Philly until recently it was always time to talk Eagles. The Phillies got coverage due to seasonality and volume of games. The run in the late 2000s was different. As is now. In between mostly just complaining. The 76ers were so bad during The Process that there was almost nothing to talk about. Now they get coverage, but I sense that Iggles demographics align more closely with WIP listeners. The Flyers have a small, harcore fan base, but most of their chat is immediately following games.

Villanova hoops was big for awhile. Big 5 hoops very limited. PSU football sometimes, basketball zero. Temple even less. Bottom line is that despite our relative variety, I'd bet that our sports coverage is tilted in similar ways tpwards NFL:

Eagles: 50% Steelers:60%?
Phillies: 25% Pirates: 10%?
76ers: 15% n/a
Flyers: 3% Pens: 30%
Other: 7% Other: 10%

There are much better ways to follow your teams than listening to idiots with a microphone

Cliff Calvin asks “Who are three people who’ve never been in my kitchen”?
pay up george wendt GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT