ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Panel Rankings - Soon

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Should get the 1st of a series of Coaches Panel Rankings tomorrow, and a glimpse into one-third of the allocation criteria.

For information, the Big Ten allocations are on a 2-year trend upward, with 2019 appearing, by my numbers, to continue going up. 2015 was the highest year, at 86, then a severe drop-off the next year to 71. It rebounded the past two years to 77, followed by 80 (2018). My info shows 80+ for this year, way-early. Note: part of the 2015 number was the addition of Rutgers and Maryland to the Big Ten Conference.

Coaches gotta have starters in Monday Jan 21 coaches poll won't be out until next week.This year everything is pushed back 1 week because NCAA are a week later

Coaches gotta have starters in Monday Jan 21 coaches poll won't be out until next week.This year everything is pushed back 1 week because NCAA are a week later
Thanks...yes, forgot everything is moved 1 week.

Could someone remind me of the cliff's notes version of the significance of these?
Need 2 of the 3 to allocate a spot for your conference and be silver if you've all 3 your gold
Top 33 coaches minimum 5 matches 1 in last 30
70% winning minimum 8 matches
Top 33 rpi minimum 17 matches

The rankings look pretty good to me.
Can't be. Stoll isn't even listed!!

Seriously, it seems right. I like that Nick Lee controls his B1G fate, and can move off the #4 seed spot he is on now. He and McKenna should meet in the finals. The real test at 141 is not in the B1G anyway.

Berge is on a nice spot. He can rise if he knocks off some folks. He is on the cusp R12. And of course, we will learn more about RBY as he faces some stiffer competition too.

Reactions: Afw6006
Need 2 of the 3 to allocate a spot for your conference and be silver if you've all 3 your gold
Thank you.

Roar....PM me. Or text but I can't remember if you have my number. I can't seem to find yours.

Also the final CR accounts for 15% of the seeding formula for the NCAA tournament.

Stoll and Dhesi having too few matches makes HWT a little weird.

Cliff Notes version:

125: No PSUer
133: RBY - 12th
141: Nick Lee - tied for 7th
149: Brady Berge - 12th
157: Jason Nolf - 1st
165: Vincenzo Joseph - 1st
174: Mark Hall - 1st
184: Shakur Rasheed - 3rd
197: Bo Nickal - 1st
285: Anthony Cassar - 3rd

Can't be. Stoll isn't even listed!!

Seriously, it seems right. I like that Nick Lee controls his B1G fate, and can move off the #4 seed spot he is on now. He and McKenna should meet in the finals. The real test at 141 is not in the B1G anyway.

Berge is on a nice spot. He can rise if he knocks off some folks. He is on the cusp R12. And of course, we will learn more about RBY as he faces some stiffer competition too.
These aren't used for seeding. The B1G uses primarily HTH vs other Big Ten wrestlers.

Pretty much as high as you can expect for most PSU wrestlers. Lee should get great opportunities to climb with matches against Storr, McKenna, and Carr

Looks like maybe Hemida's loss to Seth hurt him

Reactions: RoarLions1
Anyone have the dates for the next three ranking releases? My google skills are failing me.

Anyone have the dates for the next three ranking releases? My google skills are failing me.
Posted this last week...it's in another thread.

I believe these to be close.

Coaches Panel Rankings (four)
Jan. 24 (already released)
Feb. 14-15
Feb. 27-28 (I believe the Pre-Championship Manual is incorrect, not all duals are done by Feb. 20). The three criteria will be calculated 2/27, communicated to qualifying events on 2/28, which is when fans will see the numbers.
March 13 After the qualifying tournaments are done, the criteria is recalculated and released. These "rankings" are used to determine Bronze Standard.

RPI (three)
Feb. 14-15
Feb. 27-28 (see above)
March 13 (see above)

Win %
Easy enough to find, calculated at same time as RPI, no official releases

Qualifying Event Allocations
Feb. 28 (maybe Feb. 27 if it leaks)

Big Ten Pre-seeds
Monday, March 4, if my calendar is correct

NCAA
At-large selections announced March 13
Brackets released March 20??

Reactions: LemonPie
Posted this last week...it's in another thread.

I believe these to be close.

Coaches Panel Rankings (four)
Jan. 24 (already released)
Feb. 14-15
Feb. 27-28 (I believe the Pre-Championship Manual is incorrect, not all duals are done by Feb. 20). The three criteria will be calculated 2/27, communicated to qualifying events on 2/28, which is when fans will see the numbers.
March 13 After the qualifying tournaments are done, the criteria is recalculated and released. These "rankings" are used to determine Bronze Standard.

RPI (three)
Feb. 14-15
Feb. 27-28 (see above)
March 13 (see above)

Win %
Easy enough to find, calculated at same time as RPI, no official releases

Qualifying Event Allocations
Feb. 28 (maybe Feb. 27 if it leaks)

Big Ten Pre-seeds
Monday, March 4, if my calendar is correct

NCAA
At-large selections announced March 13
Brackets released March 20??

Thanks, Roar. I thought you might have it.

Does anybody know where the winning % of wrestlers can be found so that is doesn't include non Division I wrestlers? I know it probably only affects 1-2 wins per kid but would be interested if there was any easy site to access.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Does anybody know where the winning % of wrestlers can be found so that is doesn't include non Division I wrestlers? I know it probably only affects 1-2 wins per kid but would be interested if there was any easy site to access.
I use WrestlStat. Watch for and remove; non-D1 wins/losses, medfft losses, wins/losses at a different weight class.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT