ADVERTISEMENT

CJF isranked 34/84 on coach's hot seat...

It does happen on occasion, but PSU does have a history of settling for mediocrity in some sports--cooper, warming, even pavlik recently.
Four of her last five years she was .500 or below....this writer is saying Franklin would get fired for going 7-6, which is above .500. Coquese did not finish over .500 and get fired.

You’re my boy so I’ll be straight. We threw 2 hours in the hot tub (min 12 pack) and Son2 and I just made a pitcher of Kamikazees:D
Love,
Rick
nnKV0m4.jpg

Last edited:
It’s just clickbait from someone who has no idea.

Go 7-6 at Penn St and it’s a “BIG problem”? Franklin already went 7-6 at PSU (twice) and yet is still here. We all know what he walked into back then but if he went 7-6 next year he’d still be here the following year as well. Penn St is not the cutthroat culture that the writer thinks.

Yeah, I know the article is clickbait and just off season silliness but it is such an odd comment. If there is any "major" program that is more permissive about W-L (and with a fanbase more focused on off the field metrics) than PSU? It just seems like an odd comment, as though the author has no familiarity with Penn State at all.

I know we are a relatively unique situation but PSU ever actually fired a football coach? There's literally no precedence for a "hot seat" with our program.

Reactions: psu00
There is nothing to the alleged Vanderbilt incident vis a vis Franklin. He told the accused players they better tell the police the truth and kicked them off the team. I mean really.
Allow me to elaborate, Baron. There was just a little too much smoke around that situation for me to feel as confident as you. So much has changed in regard to optics; not just since 2011 at PSU but in the last five years in broader society.

I would imagine that in this current climate any PSU coach with three players who gang raped someone would be unlikely to keep their job. Especially if the coach told their team about seeing the video of the attack only to change their story when questioned by authorities; or independently called the victim four days after the attack just to let the woman know they support her; or allegedly pressured a player to erase the video. Those circumstances would be tough to overlook nowadays even if they weren't prosecuted. That's just the age in which we live, especially at Penn State. Fair or not.

Four of her last five years she was .500 or below....this writer is saying Franklin would get fired for going 7-6, which is above .500. Coquese did not finish over .500 and get fired.
Never implied that Franklin would get fired for a 7-6 record. Quite the opposite actually. I merely pointed out that PSU keeps plenty of coaches around despite middling results.

I am no CJF apologists, but he has done a very good job. If you are going to lay blame on anyone, that should be the BOT and AD for not updating the facilities quick enough. It’s all about recruiting. Part of the problem is that Joe didn’t give a turd about the facility “rat race” and that is part of the problem why we are way behind. Love JVP, but he did not see the writing on the wall and just thought PSU could recruit it self on the merits of history and the institution. Lasch was cutting edge when it was built, but had sat their for ions until Bill arrived and demanded changes (weight room etc).
Absolutely correct! I loved JVP as much as anyone but I truly think Joe was looking to get a Ivy League invite. It,s all about the Benjamin’s and that didn’t sit well with Joe. OSU / Clemson clearly had the vision to see what it will take to be Elite . I think based on its recruiting base and history PSU can always be a 8-9 win team most years. James Franklin is a very good coach pushing uphill. You want to be Elite spend the $$$ or else every 5 years we block a punt and go the a decent bowl game.

Allow me to elaborate, Baron. There was just a little too much smoke around that situation for me to feel as confident as you. So much has changed in regard to optics; not just since 2011 at PSU but in the last five years in broader society.

I would imagine that in this current climate any PSU coach with three players who gang raped someone would be unlikely to keep their job. Especially if the coach told their team about seeing the video of the attack only to change their story when questioned by authorities; or independently called the victim four days after the attack just to let the woman know they support her; or allegedly pressured a player to erase the video. Those circumstances would be tough to overlook nowadays even if they weren't prosecuted. That's just the age in which we live, especially at Penn State. Fair or not.

Dude get your facts straight. I stand by my earlier comments.

Dude get your facts straight. I stand by my earlier comments.

Dumb....they say he deserves more credit, but go 7-6 at Penn State and there’s a BIG problem....based on what? How many coaches at Penn State were let go for going 7-6? Paterno had years where many schools would have ousted him
but PSU didn’t. The “hot seat” Franklin was on was only in the minds of the media and some moron fans, not in the minds of anyone who counts. Penn State as a university does not get rid of coaches easily (see Chambers), so one 7-6 season isn’t going to do anything.
Penn State does not fire coaches in major sports. Women's basketball is not a major sport.

Reactions: AWS1022
If a coach went 1-11, Penn State would still not fire them. They may use it as an excuse to pay them less, but that’s about it.

In 2003, Paterno went 3-9. In 2004 he went 4-8. After 2004 he got a four year extension

The only coach I can ever recall being fired solely for wins and losses was Jerry Dunn, and the man appeared to have literally quit in place.

most overpaid coach? He’s winning 11 games lots of years it seems, how many other programs have won 11 games 3 of last 4 seasons ? I’ll hang up and listen
I suspect that you’ll find coach Franklin has a new gig next year in the nfl. The recent move by the nfl is going to put unbelievable pressure on the nfl owners to hire African American coaches and honestly he’s got to be at the top of the list of available African American coaches. In fact i suspect he will be the next coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Tomlin is in the last year of his deal Franklin has a strong relationship with the Rooney’s and there is no way they hire a white coach and violate the Rooney rule

I suspect that you’ll find coach Franklin has a new gig next year in the nfl. The recent move by the nfl is going to put unbelievable pressure on the nfl owners to hire African American coaches and honestly he’s got to be at the top of the list of available African American coaches. In fact i suspect he will be the next coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Tomlin is in the last year of his deal Franklin has a strong relationship with the Rooney’s and there is no way they hire a white coach and violate the Rooney rule

Another huge factor is Franklin's paltry buyout -- $4M after next year, dropping $1M every season afterward. That makes him an attractive candidate every offseason, which in turn gives him powerful leverage in renegotiations, both for himself and his staff. Setting yourself up to be held hostage is not exactly sound business by Barbour and Barron.

For comparison the 10 coaches who make more per year than Franklin average a $29M buyout:
Swinney: $50M
Saban: $34.1M
Harbaugh: $11.9M
Fisher: $60.6M
Smart $24.2M
Malzahn $27.1M
Herman: $20.4M
Brohm: $27.7M
Riley: $21M
Mullen: $12M

If all he wins is 7 games then he would deserve the hot seat.

However, my standard is what his record is against UM, tOSU, and MSU. Lose two out of three and it’s a bad year. Lose all 3 then Some serious questions should be asked. Put 3 losing years in a row against those 3 then adios.

O.K.

If all he wins is 7 games then he would deserve the hot seat.

However, my standard is what his record is against UM, tOSU, and MSU. Lose two out of three and it’s a bad year. Lose all 3 then Some serious questions should be asked. Put 3 losing years in a row against those 3 then adios.
Or not.

Reactions: doctornick

I suspect you are wrong.

Oh good lord, we’re starting early.

Franklin to the Steelers
Dabo to PSU
Nick Saban to Clemson
Urban Meyer to Bama
Mike Tomlin to New England
Bill Belichek to USC
Clay Helton to clean my pool

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT