ADVERTISEMENT

Check out the new NCAA reform in Congress...

“It would also require schools to share 50% of the profit from revenue generating sports such as football and basketball with the athletes after the cost of scholarships are deducted.”

Does this mean the profits would only be available to student-athletes in the profit-making sports or would the profits be distributed to all student-athletes?

“It would also require schools to share 50% of the profit from revenue generating sports such as football and basketball with the athletes after the cost of scholarships are deducted.”

Does this mean the profits would only be available to student-athletes in the profit-making sports or would the profits be distributed to all student-athletes?
Freom what I have read, it would just be to football, mens and womens basketball, and baseball players. I have no idea how they get around Title IX.

This would destroy college athletics as we see it. 50% of revenue to the athletes! Bye bye all sports especially all the money losers. aka Every women's sport.

Booker, Democratic lawmakers introducing NCAA reform bill | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (post-gazette.com)
It is interesting to single out "revenue-generating" sports. I would imagine this would be different from college to college. I don't think PSU makes a ton on basketball, for example.

when you take PSU, who plows their direct revenues back into and funds non-rev sports, how would this qualify? So, if I am reading this right schools like PSU and tOSU fund their athletic programs with the revenue sports (football and basketball). In the end, it is about a net zero profit. I believe PSU made $10m profit in 2018, $4m in 2019. Nothing a little "creative accounting" wouldn't fix.

The devil is in the details. I can't imagine that they can define a lot of these things. And if they do, the financial shell game would invalidate a lot. And, in the end, they'll put a ton of money into CPAs and Attorneys. The loser will be kid's whose sports have been cut because they can't be paid for since the rev sports profits will suffer.

Reactions: psuluvr1
Freom what I have read, it would just be to football, mens and womens basketball, and baseball players. I have no idea how they get around Title IX.

Thanks.

Anyway, Sandy laughs at ncaa reform.

clearly what would happen is that the schools would end up rebalancing the books. If PSU makes $100m on the revenue sports and has to pay $50 to players, they will simply close down the non-rev sports that are currently funded by that pool of money. IIRC, the sports department made $10m profit in 2018 and $4m last year. But football made something like $160m before expenses.

I suspect these are unintended consequences these "deep thinkers" didn't think about. As someone else posted, what about Title IX? Here, with 85 football players, the legislation would dictate 85 female 'ships. so on one hand you are legislating a massive expense (Title IX) while on the other hand, you are taking away revenue (Booker's Bill).

Reactions: PSUSignore
There may not be a bigger horse's ass on the congressional side of government than Booker.

There's a reason why me as a registered democrat did not vote for Booker in NJ.

There is no possible way this can pass with the revenue breakdown in as is. It will bankrupt all but the top 15 or 20 athletic departments in division 1. A compromise likely will have to be something along the lines of the money not coming from the schools, but allowing players to make money off of their likeness.

— Establish a medical trust fund athletes can access after leaving school.

— Guarantee college athletes’ scholarships for as many years as it takes them to receive an undergraduate degree and ban coaches and staff from influencing academic choices such as majors and courses.

The two above proposals alone would drain millions from budgets. A medical trust fund? For what? Medical treatment and therapy is already provided for sports related injuries. Would the trust fund cover the student athletes for all medical treatment for the rest of their lives? I'd like to see more clarification with that one.

Also, basically unlimited time to complete an undergraduate degree. Not a bad deal. I wish I could have hung around campus and received free tuition for as long as it took to finish my degree.

Reactions: bison13
Is there a clause that requires the crucifixion of emmeret? If not it needs to go there.
If so....

giphy.gif

Reactions: BudatPSU
Hm. Better than the NFL deal. Noting NFL players can sign endorsement deals and otherwise make money of their likeness.
yeah....I understand that. But as a former offensive lineman, it irks me that a guy like Fields would stand to make millions while his two all-american linemen (and I don't even know their names) would make nothing.

I’m glad our elected representatives have solved all the countries other major issues satisfactory thus providing them the time to correct this major injustice.

Pffft. They won't solve this either.

yeah....I understand that. But as a former offensive lineman, it irks me that a guy like Fields would stand to make millions while his two all-american linemen (and I don't even know their names) would make nothing.

What do you mean? For NIL/endorsment money? That's sort of just a sad reality - people want 'stars' to endorse their stuff. That said, if they're getting revenue money, that takes some of the sting out of not being able to cash in on being an All-American lineman. I think most of the proposals in this legislation are fairly sensible, but some red flags:

The bill also would:

Good — Create what it calls “enforceable” health and safety standards for athletes developed by the Departments of Health and Human Services and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Good — Establish a medical trust fund athletes can access after leaving school.

Ehhh — Guarantee college athletes’ scholarships for as many years as it takes them to receive an undergraduate degree and ban coaches and staff from influencing academic choices such as majors and courses.

Good/Semi-Red Flag — Remove restrictions on athletes who transfer from one school to another and penalties for breaking a national letter of intent.

Good — Require athletic departments to annually disclose revenues and expenditures, including salaries of department personnel.

RED FLAG — Establish a nine-member Commission on College Athletics that would include at least five former college athletes and individuals with legal expertise, including in the area of Title IX.

I doubt this will pass, but seems like there is interest on both sides to provide more to players. As proposed schools are put in a really tough spot - they have almost zero protections against mass transfers and kids who want to take 10 years to get a degree. I see the NIL stuff passing without issue though and my guess is those AA linemen at OSU and other places will find *someone* willing to pay them to endorse *something*....

Don’t take this the wrong way, but do you guys really think you know more about the economics of college sports than a Rhodes Scholar who studied abroad at Oxford, played football at Stanford, has a law degree from Yale and is a US Senator?

What do you mean? For NIL/endorsment money? That's sort of just a sad reality - people want 'stars' to endorse their stuff. That said, if they're getting revenue money, that takes some of the sting out of not being able to cash in on being an All-American lineman. I think most of the proposals in this legislation are fairly sensible, but some red flags:

The bill also would:

Good — Create what it calls “enforceable” health and safety standards for athletes developed by the Departments of Health and Human Services and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Good — Establish a medical trust fund athletes can access after leaving school.

Ehhh — Guarantee college athletes’ scholarships for as many years as it takes them to receive an undergraduate degree and ban coaches and staff from influencing academic choices such as majors and courses.

Good/Semi-Red Flag — Remove restrictions on athletes who transfer from one school to another and penalties for breaking a national letter of intent.

Good — Require athletic departments to annually disclose revenues and expenditures, including salaries of department personnel.

RED FLAG — Establish a nine-member Commission on College Athletics that would include at least five former college athletes and individuals with legal expertise, including in the area of Title IX.

I doubt this will pass, but seems like there is interest on both sides to provide more to players. As proposed schools are put in a really tough spot - they have almost zero protections against mass transfers and kids who want to take 10 years to get a degree. I see the NIL stuff passing without issue though and my guess is those AA linemen at OSU and other places will find *someone* willing to pay them to endorse *something*....
Would like to know more about the medical trust fund before judging it....what athletes get to access it? For how long? If it’s all athletes forever, good luck paying for that. And why should they get access to health care years after they leave college? Not sure their brief 3-5 year stint earns them that kind of benefit.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but do you guys really think you know more about the economics of college sports than a Rhodes Scholar who studied abroad at Oxford, played football at Stanford, has a law degree from Yale and is a US Senator?
Yes. How much did he get paid?

Would like to know more about the medical trust fund before judging it....what athletes get to access it? For how long? If it’s all athletes forever, good luck paying for that. And why should they get access to health care years after they leave college? Not sure their brief 3-5 year stint earns them that kind of benefit.
Jim Delaney has volunteered to administer this fund. For a small fee.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and AWS1022

Well most people here think they know more than Franklin about football, Chambers/Ferry for basketball, etc. The only coaches we have that are smarter than the board members appear to be Rose and Sanderson.

Reactions: ouirpsu

BWI Board Response (me included):

8a4d9ff30fee80b6c6a2a4dfc34bacad.gif

Reactions: ouirpsu
Schools are non-profit entities. If there’s a ‘profit’ the schools are already well versed on weaseling their way to a balanced book.

Well most people here think they know more than Franklin about football, Chambers/Ferry for basketball, etc. The only coaches we have that are smarter than the board members appear to be Rose and Sanderson.
It doesn’t take much to be smarter than a politician. They couldn’t even balance a checking account (obviously).

So, let me get this straight, schools are allowed to charge whatever they want to the scholarship, fees, etc line items of the costs columns. They also control how much they charge athletic departments for building rentals, maintenance, etc. Basically, they control the entire cost side of the register. Yep, this looks like a full proof plan to me, and that's coming from someone who thinks the athletes should be paid. My God, politicians are utterly stupid, or they are the most corrupt, soulless, mother****ers alive.

Yeah, actually I do.

I know Booker pretty well. Used to like him, but came to realize that he has more than a little bit of whore in him. He's grandstanding here.

So, let me get this straight, schools are allowed to charge whatever they want to the scholarship, fees, etc line items of the costs columns. They also control how much they charge athletic departments for building rentals, maintenance, etc. Basically, they control the entire cost side of the register. Yep, this looks like a full proof plan to me, and that's coming from someone who thinks the athletes should be paid. My God, politicians are utterly stupid, or they are the most corrupt, soulless, mother****ers alive.

It's profit-center accounting. If a school wants to accurately measure how well an athletic department is performing it's in its best interest to insure that transfer pricing reflects the market. It's not even clear that there are actual cash flows between the AD and the school in all cases.

Now if you really want to get to cases, schools could set up their ADs as legal entities that have to fend for themselves in the cold, cruel world. Wonder how Serious Sandy would like borrowing at like Prime + 92.

It's profit-center accounting. If a school wants to accurately measure how well an athletic department is performing it's in its best interest to insure that transfer pricing reflects the market. It's not even clear that there are actual cash flows between the AD and the school in all cases.

Now if you really want to get to cases, schools could set up their ADs as legal entities that have to fend for themselves in the cold, cruel world. Wonder how Serious Sandy would like borrowing at like Prime + 92.

Accurate? Sorry, but I can't stop laughing at that one, and I know you understand the same. I think some people think a scholarship amount actually entails the real costs to a school, as opposed to the actual incremental cost the school shells out for one more "student." I am always reminded of Sir Rodney, the wise eunuch: "All monies are fungible." The idea of spinning off an athletic department completely from a school? Not happening.

Accurate? Sorry, but I can't stop laughing at that one, and I know you understand the same. I think some people think a scholarship amount actually entails the real costs to a school, as opposed to the actual incremental cost the school shells out for one more "student." I am always reminded of Sir Rodney, the wise eunuch: "All monies are fungible." The idea of spinning off an athletic department completely from a school? Not happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT