ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA to allow transfers to play college football, basketball without sitting out a season

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
Been heading in that direction, now official.

The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to change the long-standing rule that has often deterred players in high-profile sports from switching schools, two people with knowledge of the council's decision told The Associated Press...

The so-called one-time exception has been available to athletes in other NCAA sports for years, allowing them to transfer and play immediately. Athletes in football, men's and women's basketball, men's ice hockey and baseball have not had that available to them without asking the NCAA for a special waiver and claiming that a hardship caused the need for a transfer.

Athletes who have graduated have also been permitted to transfer without sitting out, no matter the sport, but not undergraduates.

Starting this fall semester, all athletes will be operating under the same rules: Transfers will be allowed to play right away.

Those in fall and winter sports must notify their schools by May 1 that they intend to transfer; in spring sports, the notification date will be July 1. The notification dates begin in 2022.

For this year, athletes in all sports will be required to notify their schools about their intent to transfer by July 1.

Better for the kids (mostly)--bad for the sport. One trick is that it will be harder to coach a kid to a better performance because they don't have to listen. Basketball has become unwatchable for me as it is far less a team sport than it once was, especially at the NBA level. I remember going to the NHL All-Star game in Columbus a few years back (under the old format). No defense at all and not terribly interesting.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Part of me loves it and part of me hates it. I love that kids who have a coach leave for a new school can leave too but I also hate that it gives every kid an easy way out and never develop a true 'team' sense.

I think this will lead to more of a power 5 (or 6) and then everyone else, mid majors will lose their best players on a yearly basis.

I'm torn on this. There are mostly two kinds of transfers. Those that are not happy (sitting behind people or generally disgruntled) and those that want to move to a winner. It's good for those that are disgruntled, I guess.
If a kid wants out of PSU so badly, why would we want to keep him?

My fear is that the lesser programs will become feeders for the big boys because a kid at U Buffalo, for example, blows up unexpectedly as a sophomore and wants to play for a perennial playoff program. As others have said, some players will need to be continually recruited to a certain extent.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU and bison13
Part of me loves it and part of me hates it. I love that kids who have a coach leave for a new school can leave too but I also hate that it gives every kid an easy way out and never develop a true 'team' sense.

I think this will lead to more of a power 5 (or 6) and then everyone else, mid majors will lose their best players on a yearly basis.
Agree. Then if smaller budgeted programs keep losing their better players, how long could it be until they decide it's not worth being a feeder for the P5? It may force those schools to reevaluate their programs and move down a level or two.

Agree. Then if smaller budgeted programs keep losing their better players, how long could it be until they decide it's not worth being a feeder for the P5? It may force those schools to reevaluate their programs and move down a level or two.
Agreed. Plus, teams will have to expend resources to "re-recruit" their own players as well as a thousand players from other teams in addition to the High School prospects coming out.

Been heading in that direction, now official.

The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to change the long-standing rule that has often deterred players in high-profile sports from switching schools, two people with knowledge of the council's decision told The Associated Press...

The so-called one-time exception has been available to athletes in other NCAA sports for years, allowing them to transfer and play immediately. Athletes in football, men's and women's basketball, men's ice hockey and baseball have not had that available to them without asking the NCAA for a special waiver and claiming that a hardship caused the need for a transfer.

Athletes who have graduated have also been permitted to transfer without sitting out, no matter the sport, but not undergraduates.

Starting this fall semester, all athletes will be operating under the same rules: Transfers will be allowed to play right away.

Those in fall and winter sports must notify their schools by May 1 that they intend to transfer; in spring sports, the notification date will be July 1. The notification dates begin in 2022.

For this year, athletes in all sports will be required to notify their schools about their intent to transfer by July 1.
The rich will get richer, and when "image and likeness" money becomes a reality, campuses with bucolic settings will slip behind major media centers.

The rich will get richer, and when "image and likeness" money becomes a reality, campuses with bucolic settings will slip behind major media centers.

Actually NIL may slow the wave of transfers since that stud at an G5 school could now cash in at the G5 school instead of having go to an SEC school for those perks

Actually NIL may slow the wave of transfers since that stud at an G5 school could now cash in at the G5 school instead of having go to an SEC school for those perks
It seems to me that the large media centers will benefit the most. Playing for USC would literally pay better than Alabama (or fill in your university of choice).

It seems to me that the large media centers will benefit the most. Playing for USC would literally pay better than Alabama (or fill in your university of choice).
USC better pay better. The South Central LA ghetto is only a couple of blocks away. The 18th Street Gang (Hispanics) have pretty much taken control of the immediate area from the Crips and the Bloods, but all three work the area pretty heavily. On top of that, LA doesn't give a fraction of crap as much about college football or college football players as most SEC schools.

Nobody Is going to leave Alabama or most SEC schools if they have playing time for a place like USC.

I think it was inevitable, but I think what may happen is that there will be an initial surge similar to what we saw in the portal this year, but then I think some kids will quickly see that opportunities in the portal are scarce (unless you are a QB or an edge rusher), and that the transfer numbers going forward may come back down to earth a little bit.

Reactions: grinagrin
But most G5 schools don’t care enough or have enough money to allow the stud to cash in.

I'm torn on this. There are mostly two kinds of transfers. Those that are not happy (sitting behind people or generally disgruntled) and those that want to move to a winner. It's good for those that are disgruntled, I guess.
If a kid wants out of PSU so badly, why would we want to keep him?

My fear is that the lesser programs will become feeders for the big boys because a kid at U Buffalo, for example, blows up unexpectedly as a sophomore and wants to play for a perennial playoff program. As others have said, some players will need to be continually recruited to a certain extent.
This is right....I’m not sure how anyone can think it’s okay for a kid who was not highly recruited in high school, but a G5 program gives him a scholarship, he uses that program and the coaching there to get better and become a better prospect, then he leaves for a better program. Seems like a BS move by the player and a BS move for the NCAA to allow it. There’s no legit reason to not require a transfer to sit out a year.

Reactions: grinagrin
I think we'll see more stuff like this, too.

Players go to a lower school knowing they'll be the BMOC, get all the minutes/snaps they could possibly want, then bigger schools will come calling the next year and call up these guys like they're a minor league baseball player.

I'm calling it now, the G5/mid-major one and done strategy of recruiting.

I think we'll see more stuff like this, too.

Players go to a lower school knowing they'll be the BMOC, get all the minutes/snaps they could possibly want, then bigger schools will come calling the next year and call up these guys like they're a minor league baseball player.

I'm calling it now, the G5/mid-major one and done strategy of recruiting.

So either Samford has a top notch BAG. MAN. o_O or this kid’s academics are shit. Maybe both.

The Justin Fields rule.

Several years ago it was the Grant Haley rule, no jumping rule.

From my perspective, kids leave because they are blocked on the depth chart, so they're looking for playing time. If they can't start at their current school, what makes them think they can start at a better school?

From my perspective, kids leave because they are blocked on the depth chart, so they're looking for playing time. If they can't start at their current school, what makes them think they can start at a better school?

Justin Fields. Joe Burrow. QBs for sure.

Sports fans are, by the definition of "sports fans" tribal in nature.

So, the Pirates I rooted for growing up were superior to the Phillies in every way - morally, athletically, intellectually. In fact, the Philly players weren't necessarily human, but some sort of satan's spawn.

And that's all good fun, and the phillies fans felt the same.

Same with PSU and OSU (we are saints - and we damned near were during Paterno's tenure, and they're the devil).

But now, if the player I was rooting for is now "my" enemy, and the player I hated last year is now the best guy in the world......how long before the fun goes out of it....

Everything is going in the wrong direction.

Get off my lawn.

• Haha
Reactions: BrucePa
Better for the kids (mostly)--bad for the sport. One trick is that it will be harder to coach a kid to a better performance because they don't have to listen. Basketball has become unwatchable for me as it is far less a team sport than it once was, especially at the NBA level. I remember going to the NHL All-Star game in Columbus a few years back (under the old format). No defense at all and not terribly interesting.

Worse for the kids, mostly. Just watch the graduation rates?

ADVERTISEMENT