ADVERTISEMENT

Charissa Thompson admits to making up some sideline reports

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
When a coach was late or withholding, Thompson admitted she would make up something to say. “I haven’t been fired to saying it, but I’ll say it again,” she told the PMT hosts.

Added Thompson: “No coach is gonna get mad if I say, ‘Hey, we need to stop hurting ourselves, we need to be better on third down, we need to stop turning the ball over and do a better job of getting off the field.’ They’re not gonna correct me on that. So I’m like, it’s fine, I’ll just make up the report.”

Reactions: bison13
I would make up 5 stories per day for 3 years if just one of them would work and make her fall for me 😂😂😂

Reactions: hlstone
The ultimate fault is on the people that decide someone should interview the coach during the game. The next time a coach says something interesting will be the first time. They have a finite amount of time so they should think about how they use it. I'd rather see and ad with that time and then later in the game instead of seeing an ad see a replay of an interesting play.

Ad + Replay of Interesting Play > Ad + Coach Interview

Subtract Ad from both sides of the inequality

Replay of Interesting Play > Coach Interview

QED.

Just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it.
cheers-george-costanza.gif

Reactions: dbbp
The problem was that I called on Mike Yurcich for advice before our first date, and instead of picking her up I gave the car keys to Nick Singleton on a flea flicker and by the time I got the keys back I couldn't find my car and had to throw the keys into my backyard

The next time a coach says something interesting will be the first time.
Listen to a Nascar crew chief. Or even a driver for that matter. There's nothing more boring than a coach. Other than an eye candy sideline reporter. They're all tied for boring as hell.

When a coach was late or withholding, Thompson admitted she would make up something to say. “I haven’t been fired to saying it, but I’ll say it again,” she told the PMT hosts.

Added Thompson: “No coach is gonna get mad if I say, ‘Hey, we need to stop hurting ourselves, we need to be better on third down, we need to stop turning the ball over and do a better job of getting off the field.’ They’re not gonna correct me on that. So I’m like, it’s fine, I’ll just make up the report.”

Wow, definitely CNN material. She should apply.

Wow, definitely CNN material. She should apply.
Lol.

OTOH her stories weren’t exactly anythjng beyond cliches. I have to admit I’ve wondered what happens when the coach blows off the halftime interviews. Now I know.

She’s not on air for her talent. Hell you don’t see overweigh educated and Indian women on the sidelines. Todays talking heads are why I record the game and fast forward to just watch the game.

She’s not on air for her talent. Hell you don’t see overweigh educated and Indian women on the sidelines. Todays talking heads are why I record the game and fast forward to just watch the game.
These pregame shows for both the NFL and College are horrifyingly embarrassing. Just a lot of yelling and screaming and mugging for the camera. Everytime I feel the need to watch one, I turn it off in a few minutes. The B1G shows seem to be the exception.

Just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it.
Unfortunately, that how many people behave now. She’ll just say it’s “her truth”, (as opposed to the truth).

Unfortunately, that how many people behave now. She’ll just say it’s “her truth”, (as opposed to the truth).
FACT CHECK! Pants on fire!

There was once a newsperson that told the truth so your post is 100% incorrect. (sarcasm alert)

fire.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: psu00
Listen to a Nascar crew chief. Or even a driver for that matter. There's nothing more boring than a coach. Other than an eye candy sideline reporter. They're all tied for boring as hell.

True, with 1 exception- Bobby Knight. He was always so unpredictable.

I remember Lesley Visser (IIRC) asking him on the court after a game ‘Coach, why did you win that game?’ And he answered- ‘Well Lesley, we scored more points than they did.’ ;)

EDIT- John McKay had some pretty good quotes after games as well.

Last edited:
True, with 1 exception- Bobby Knight. He was always so unpredictable.

I remember Lesley Visser (IIRC) asking him on the court after a game ‘Coach, how did you win that game?’ And he answered- ‘Well Lesley, we scored more points than they did.’ ;)
I don't think I've ever learned anything from the in-game questions. I do appreciate the injury reports from the sideline reporters though. But I don't know if that is inside information or general in-game injury releases from the team as they almost always say "is now listed as questionable". This info could clearly be relayed to the booth people.

I really think it is to get a woman involved as the sport is really trying to bring in women while having women in the booth doesn't seem to be going well. We also see more and more of the halftime, postgame shows being hosted by women. So the "experts" are the men while the woman does the MC work.

Basketball, Hockey and baseball are all trying to get women into more prominent positions in announcing and are experimenting with women play-by-play announcers. I love successful women and am married to a very stong and successful woman. So it may be me. But I really have not warmed up to women doing the in-game announcing.

I don't think I've ever learned anything from the in-game questions. I do appreciate the injury reports from the sideline reporters though. But I don't know if that is inside information or general in-game injury releases from the team as they almost always say "is now listed as questionable". This info could clearly be relayed to the booth people.

I really think it is to get a woman involved as the sport is really trying to bring in women while having women in the booth doesn't seem to be going well. We also see more and more of the halftime, postgame shows being hosted by women. So the "experts" are the men while the woman does the MC work.

Basketball, Hockey and baseball are all trying to get women into more prominent positions in announcing and are experimenting with women play-by-play announcers. I love successful women and am married to a very stong and successful woman. So it may be me. But I really have not warmed up to women doing the in-game announcing.

I agree. There’s never any deep insight with those sideline interviews.

What's the deal with that job being 100% women or close to 100% women? I was listening to Dan Patrick this morning who was "disappointed" by Thompson's remarks and he is reeling off all these sideline reporters and they are all women....Andrea Kramer, Melissa Stark, Tracy Wolfson, Erin Andrews on and on. Is it simply we need an attractive female talking head?

Jim Lampley was the original sideline reporter and he may be the last male.

What I don't like is if you are a young, aspiring male broadcaster trying to break in to the business this sideline reporter role is a good step for you. Seemingly you have no to very little shot of ever landing it just because of your gender.

What's the deal with that job being 100% women or close to 100% women? I was listening to Dan Patrick this morning who was "disappointed" by Thompson's remarks and he is reeling off all these sideline reporters and they are all women....Andrea Kramer, Melissa Stark, Tracy Wolfson, Erin Andrews on and on. Is it simply we need an attractive female talking head?

Jim Lampley was the original sideline reporter and he may be the last male.

What I don't like is if you are a young, aspiring male broadcaster trying to break in to the business this sideline reporter role is a good step for you. Seemingly you have no to very little shot of ever landing it just because of your gender.
NFL is really trying to appeal to women and the test markets of women being either the play-by-play or color commentary are scoring horribly. So this is what is left.

There is a local gal, very talented, named Gabriella Kreutz. She chimes in as she is a sideline reporter. She's taken some heat but her bonafide is that she was a cross-country all-American in HS and College (John Carroll). She got a great voice, knows sports, and is easy on the eyes.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
Reports are that NFL viewership among young females is up by 30%, a huge jump in an important segment.
No doubt. If they wanted the 5-year old market they'd trot Spongebob out to ref the games. They're shameless whores in the League offices, but it's a business. We get that and we can either put up with it or don't watch.

NFL is really trying to appeal to women and the test markets of women being either the play-by-play or color commentary are scoring horribly. So this is what is left.

There is a local gal, very talented, named Gabriella Kreutz. She chimes in as she is a sideline reporter. She's taken some heat but her bonafide is that she was a cross-country all-American in HS and College (John Carroll). She got a great voice, knows sports, and is easy on the eyes.

I wonder how many of them truly follow sports or did prior to getting the gig. My guess is a fair amount of them were athletes and had some interest. But who knows how strong of an interest and it doesn't matter any way to those hiring. Basically if you are female, attractive, want to be a journalist and can string two sentences together then you have a job.

I wonder how many of them truly follow sports or did prior to getting the gig. My guess is a fair amount of them were athletes and had some interest. But who knows how strong of an interest and it doesn't matter any way to those hiring. Basically if you are female, attractive, want to be a journalist and can string two sentences together then you have a job.
I think most are pretty accomplished. But, of course, to truly know the game you've got to have played the game. I mean, I certainly don't know what its like to play major college or NFL football. But I do know what it is like to have two-a-days in 95 degree weather, suffer injuries and play through whatever you need to playthrough for your school and teammates. Some of that you get through box lacrosse or volleyball, but football is a different level. women never get that level of opportunity.

I can say one thing though, my mother watched Steeler football like it was her life. She could easily articulate the value of running a draw versus a screen against a cover 2 or cover 0 coverage on third and long.

Reactions: Fac
No doubt. If they wanted the 5-year old market they'd trot Spongebob out to ref the games. They're shameless whores in the League offices, but it's a business. We get that and we can either put up with it or don't watch.
I believe…and I suppose it’s possible I am wrong….. but aren’t overall NFL ratings down the last few years? And as boomers move on to the next level the NFL needs new audiences.

And getting a younger female audience is a great move as it will also bring new advertisers to target that audience. And that audience spends a lot of money, especially as they get great jobs snd/or start families.

I think most are pretty accomplished. But, of course, to truly know the game you've got to have played the game. I mean, I certainly don't know what its like to play major college or NFL football. But I do know what it is like to have two-a-days in 95 degree weather, suffer injuries and play through whatever you need to playthrough for your school and teammates. Some of that you get through box lacrosse or volleyball, but football is a different level. women never get that level of opportunity.

I can say one thing though, my mother watched Steeler football like it was her life. She could easily articulate the value of running a draw versus a screen against a cover 2 or cover 0 coverage on third and long.
Not so much in my family so I do wonder. What bugs me is if all these females are taking jobs away from an aspiring male just because they are female. There is also the ex athlete or ex football player thing dominating the media these days. For one guy on TV who is not an ex football jock (Reece Davis for example) there are 10 ex NFL or college jocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT