ADVERTISEMENT

Carter Starocci's injury - news, updates, and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carter thought he was ready and wanted to go so bad that he "could" forever be known as a 3x quitter, who quit on his team mates as well. Ain't gonna happen!

If it did, that is his legacy, and it will follow him.

The one thing Cael could have done better is to have set expectations before he ever stepped on the bus.

Waiting until the last possible minute didn't work with Surriano and it didn't work with Carter. Nolf is Nolf and he wrestled a match I believe. I hope we all can avoid this drama if/when it ever hits us again.

On the other hand, this is also a smudge on Cael's record. I don't think there will be any negative repercussions because he's plainly trying to protect Carter's health but in my opinion it's still a mistake to stop him from going. My reasoning for this is that Carter is a full-grown adult and a senior. He's old enough to make his own decisions and if he goes against the coaches wishes and ends up getting hurt and not able to go to NCAAs it would be on him. Also, if he's really quitting we can assume he wasn't coming back next year anyway so basically the only option that would have seen him going for a fourth title was letting him wrestle yesterday.
TNT part deux. Is that really what we want?

Carter thought he was ready and wanted to go so bad that he "could" forever be known as a 3x quitter, who quit on his team mates as well. Ain't gonna happen!

The one thing Cael could have done better is to have set expectations before he ever stepped on the bus.

Waiting until the last possible minute didn't work with Surriano and it didn't work with Carter. Nolf is Nolf and he wrestled a match I believe. I hope we all can avoid this drama if/when it ever hits us again.
Yeah theres no way that he'd quit when he could be a 4xer. Would be beyond insane.

I have a really hard time believing that Cael and his coaches didn't make it perfectly clear to Carter throughout the process that the plan was likely to forfeit out, take an at-large bid and come into NCAAs in the best possible condition. Carter, being Carter, simply heard what he wanted to hear or ignored the part that he didn't wish to acknowledge. It's not a surprise to anyone that knows anything about Starocci and it's NOT a failure by the coaching staff. I'm 100% convinced that Carter and Cael will work this out, that Carter will be ready to go at NCAAs and will win his fourth title. This is really much ado about nothing and the result of a hyper-competitive kid getting a bit carried away in his frustration (and it should be repeated that Carter NEVER suggested that he quit or that he wouldn't wrestle in two weeks). Big deal.

Isn’t Monthley with the team? Doubt he goes back, leaving the team, to get a one day start with treatment he could get in College Park🤷‍♀️
I didn't say Dan would leave the team. Dan is the trainer, I bet and I could be all wet but I'd bet Penn State has some Physical Therapist somewhere in State College that Dan directly works with. And I'm sure he can find a phone to consult with them. No point for Carter to be in College Park if there can be better treatment back in PA.

... He has a chance to be a 4X National Champ. Big Ten titles are nice but they are meaningless compared to National titles.
Yup. Big Ten titles are insignificant next to the power of the fourth … NCAA title.

621522fe7575db001d0c5c3b.png

Sorry and I’m a huge CStar fan but the decision was made with the wrestlers best in mind. If CStar departed without the teams permission because he was pissed he should not be allowed to participate at nationals. No one is above the team no matter the emotion of the moment. Cael doesn’t need any Bubba’s.
I agree...

Sure. That's certainly possible. Perhaps some clarification might be helpful, if it weren't for the following facts:

Years ago Cael said Suriano was good to go, and he couldn't walk.

Starocci just forfeited both matches.

Starocci posted from State College.

Starocci posted "next chapter" and "thank you".

Feel free to jump in with the "optimistic" facts 😂
He is gone—Meaning he left Maryland and is pretty upset.
Next Chapter—Meaning training for nationals and a fourth championship!

Worse case is that he does’nt get that 4th championship and comes back for the Hodge and that fourth Championship next year. Carter is an incredible, proud competitor who will get that fourth trophy with PSU no mater what.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
TNT part deux. Is that really what we want?
No, I'm just saying that it's a mistake. It's not like he is taking off his shoe and waving it at the ref or complaining about his athletes having to follow the rules or complaining about other teams greasing up their wrestlers.

Look man. He gone. It is what it is.

Thing that bugs me is that Barraclaugh could have stepped up and got on that podium in KC, and now it's just a hole in what could have been the best team ever.

Freaking sad.

Agree. Either way it blows. Either

A. He was okay to wrestle, and the coaches/training staff was being cautious to make sure he could go at Nationals, and he is throwing a tantrum.

or

B. He wasn't going to be healthy enough to wrestle Nationals and Barraclough wasn't given a chance to go after being a good loyal soldier for the program when he has the talent to go somewhere else and start.

If it is A, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. If it was B, the coaches blew it. My money says it isn't B.

Reactions: PD4thespawn

A. He was okay to wrestle, and the coaches/training staff was being cautious to make sure he could go at Nationals, and he is throwing a tantrum.

or

B. He wasn't going to be healthy enough to wrestle Nationals and Barraclough wasn't given a chance to go after being a good loyal soldier for the program when he has the talent to go somewhere else and start.

If it is A, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. If it was B, the coaches blew it. My money says it isn't B.
It’s clearly A. Anyone who’s had knee injuries knows it’s clearly A. Guy was walking with no brace and no limp and probably was good enough to take everyone out, but 10 more days and he’s closer to being the 100% monster he usually is.

or

I like your a or b, but it is much more nuanced than those choices. If it was Nationals, he was ok to wrestle. No need to chance it for big 10s. Give it a chance for more stability, more healing.

Tell you one thing: I will gladly accept any and all bets from this point on, that our backups take the mat on senior day.

On the other hand, this is also a smudge on Cael's record. I don't think there will be any negative repercussions because he's plainly trying to protect Carter's health but in my opinion it's still a mistake to stop him from going. My reasoning for this is that Carter is a full-grown adult and a senior. He's old enough to make his own decisions and if he goes against the coaches wishes and ends up getting hurt and not able to go to NCAAs it would be on him. Also, if he's really quitting we can assume he wasn't coming back next year anyway so basically the only option that would have seen him going for a fourth title was letting him wrestle yesterday.
Disagree. This is not a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The coaches are responsible for the athletes' health.

Carter is a full-grown adult and old enough to make his own decisions. So are NFL players who get held out of games for injuries, often against their wishes.

It’s clearly A. Anyone who’s had knee injuries knows it’s clearly A. Guy was walking with no brace and no limp and probably was good enough to take everyone out, but 10 more days and he’s closer to being the 100% monster he usually is.
Well we WANT IT to be A. Anyways....

I would happily go right with ya on this if it wasn't for Suriano, and word from Carter himself that's MIA at the current time.

But we need to show the guy we’ve all loved watching compete for years the door because of a tweet? He doesn’t get to vent his frustration? Sure, privately would have been better, but I don’t get the need to write him off because he’s upset.

I took it as this chapter being big tens is over now it's on to nationals. Wtf with some people on here lol
If that is what he meant, then that is what he should have tweeted. He didn't. He is typically blunt with his tweets, and I am taking him at his word. Cael and company may talk him down, but based on his past posts, he meant what he said. Leaving his team one day early while it is competing does not bode well if he is still part of the team and planning to compete at the NCAAs. There is no treatment that he needs in a less than 24-hour period to necessitate leaving the team.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I actually thought he had a hitch in his step yesterday. I strained my MCL again a couple of months ago. I'm walking pretty normal, but that sob is weak, and it's really easy to tweak it in what I do for a living, and I'm not wrestling. Well, sometimes I actually am with horses. I'll fully trust Cael on this over any athletes pride, ego, or even if they're Erie tough. For all we know, Cael could have to him to go home and be with his family.

Well we WANT IT to be A. Anyways....

I would happily go right with ya on this if it wasn't for Suriano, and word from Carter himself that's MIA at the current time.
Why do we keep referring to Suriano as the poster child for this situation? Suriano is a psycho with a psycho father. That isn't what we are dealing with here.
We have an upset young adult that has some impulse control issues and is very stubborn and competitive. He didn't grow up surrounded by the white picket fence and a PB&J in his lunchbox waiting on the counter every morning.
The coaching staff knows what they have with Carter. They will work it out and he'll wrestle if he's healthy.
Everyone take a deep breath.

I disagree. The decision is always the coaches’. If Starocci wrestled and re-aggravated his knee, no one would say Carter made a bad move, it would rightfully be on the coaching staff. Their first responsibility is the health of their athletes and putting them in the best situation for success. If they felt that meant CS not wrestling at Bigs, they have to go with that.
I agree with you. Sometimes people need saved from themselves. Adults included. Especially highly competitive athletes.

Carter isn't wired to accept defeat, which is what makes him so good. Regardless of any hard feelings (if there are any), I have to think calmer heads will prevail and Carter will win No 4 in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT