ADVERTISEMENT

Carter Starocci's injury - news, updates, and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do appreciate the link. However, this is classic Cael coachspeak.
Indeed. Cael is at heart an optimist. I suspect they won't know anything definitive about the seriousness of the injury until later today or tomorrow.

Cael is 'optimistic', likely drawing upon Frank, Bo, and Jason rather than Carter's specific prognosis. It's something....

Watching it again last night I didn't see any sudden movement in the joint like when Jason tore his PCL.. And Starocci did have room to roll to his right immediately upon feeling pain so hoping just a minor sprain.. would still hurt like hell as it happened but the prognosis would be pretty good with the time he has to recover.. I know sports injuries are guarded like Fort Knox but would love to know he is at least not season ending..

I do appreciate the link. However, this is classic Cael coachspeak.
Yeah, as a coach, I would be 100% optimistic until someone told me otherwise. I doubt they even have MRI results yet, so the obvious coachspeak answer is "we're optimistic at this point" because they don't have any reason not to be (yet).

Last year when PSU wrestled at Indiana many fans (particularly Indiana fans) were trying to get autographs from the players as the Heavyweights were finishing. Most of the wrestlers were engaged with the growing crowd, talking and signing autographs. When in final match finished, the team began the traditional handshakes with the other team. Carter turned to the crowd and said he'd be back. The handshakes finished and the team headed for the locker room. Carter turned around and came back to the fans, talked and signed autographs. Totally a class act. Carter won a lot of Indiana fans that day. I got a couple of nice photos with the champ. Injury or not, he's a four-timer in my book.

Even if it is an ACL/MCL/PCL injury, it's a very wrestleable injury; see Yianni and Spencer Lee as NCAA Champs who wrestled and won the NCAA's. Starocci is good enough to win it with one, or less, good knees.

Even if it is an ACL/MCL/PCL injury, it's a very wrestleable injury; see Yianni and Spencer Lee as NCAA Champs who wrestled and won the NCAA's. Starocci is good enough to win it with one, or less, good knees.
Contrary to what you may hear elsewhere, there are plenty of wrestlers that compete with pretty severe knee injuries and some even win with them. I'm not worried about Carter in the least. Maybe Mekhi becomes a little dicey, but maybe not.

We've got a kid at our high school wrestling with a torn ACL right now. Brace it up and go, surgery after the season. Even his future college signed off on it. We've had multiple kids do it at the HS level over the years. A little easier, because they don't have to work as much until the final few matches, but that's pretty much the situation Carter is in as well.

Excuses ARE for wussies, just ask a guy like Nolf. I've got no worries about Carter. He just might not get as much bonus as he would have.

All that said, you see a guy like Matt Manley injure his knee late in the season and be heavily braced up. Gulibon got to face him and Manley was practically defenseless.

I’m generally positive after watching the exchange where he got hurt, but every injury is different.

All that said, you see a guy like Matt Manley injure his knee late in the season and be heavily braced up. Gulibon got to face him and Manley was practically defenseless.

I’m generally positive after watching the exchange where he got hurt, but every injury is different.
That's a different situation. When you've got razor thin margins, any injury is going to have an impact.

"Your LCL (lateral collateral ligament) is a vital band of tissue on the outside of your knee. Athletes are more likely to tear it, causing a lot of pain and other symptoms. LCL tears usually heal after three to 12 weeks, depending on severity. "
Googled this doesn't really help because we have know clue as to what the actual situation is. I thought SVN was the lowest of the lows. This hit really hard. Still its Carter so its hard to see him not finding a way.

Reactions: diggerpup
It was also freshy fresh. Not much chance for Manley to regroup.
Jimmy lucked out with early matches twice. He got a compromised Manley and then Gasca a year later. People here took his dominant wins over both injured guys as signs he was back to his 5th place form. He was not

Last edited:
Contrary to what you may hear elsewhere, there are plenty of wrestlers that compete with pretty severe knee injuries and some even win with them. I'm not worried about Carter in the least. Maybe Mekhi becomes a little dicey, but maybe not.

We've got a kid at our high school wrestling with a torn ACL right now. Brace it up and go, surgery after the season. Even his future college signed off on it. We've had multiple kids do it at the HS level over the years. A little easier, because they don't have to work as much until the final few matches, but that's pretty much the situation Carter is in as well.

Excuses ARE for wussies, just ask a guy like Nolf. I've got no worries about Carter. He just might not get as much bonus as he would have.
I am not trying to question SVNs toughness or desire, but what makes his injury season ending vs Nolf or others who go anyway?

I doubt they even have MRI results yet.
Not sure why everyone thinks this, but MRI results, if even mildly rushed, can be had in an hour or two. They may have had the answer last evening. My wife went to an 11am family doctor visit for a hip problem, and by 4pm had had an MRI with contrast AND the results.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt we will hear anything more definitive about the specifics of the injury after Carter gets his MRI.

Unless he is declared out for the season and Baraclough is a go as a substitute, we are likely to remain in the dark even as Carter marches onto the mat for his first match at Bigs. Not knowing if he will he wrestle or forfeit, until we actually see it.

Then again Carter has been known to give interviews. We'll see.

Per Nomad, Starocci could skip Big Tens (as in weigh in, step on and off, take 2 Ls) and the Matrix would have him 3-6 seed (since he won't have conference points and/or a RPI)

Reactions: goldenanimal
Not sure why everyone thinks this, but MRI results, if even mildly rushed, can be had in an hour or two. They may have had the answer last evening. My wife went to an 11am family doctor visit for a hip problem, and by 4pm had had an MRI with contrast AND the results.
On injuries like this, I think they typically give it a day for the swelling to go down before doing the MRI to get a better picture of the ligaments.

Per Nomad, Starocci could skip Big Tens (as in weigh in, step on and off, take 2 Ls) and the Matrix would have him 3-6 seed (since he won't have conference points and/or a RPI)
I would imagine he'll end up 3 or 6. If you're going to screw the one of the guys that was going to get the 2 or 3 and give them a semi with Carter, better to screw the 3 than the 2 (who is now the 1).

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I do expect the undergrads on this board to be stalking Carter and reporting on presence of crutches, brace, change in his gait (or giddy up as it were), any grimacing or sour look when matriculating his way across uneven ground, etc.
A pic of Carter crawling to his classes with dirty and muddy fingers would be ideal to understand not only the severity of the injury but his will to survive. Maybe he should play I Will Survive at Nationals and crawl to the mat.

Last year when PSU wrestled at Indiana many fans (particularly Indiana fans) were trying to get autographs from the players as the Heavyweights were finishing. Most of the wrestlers were engaged with the growing crowd, talking and signing autographs. When in final match finished, the team began the traditional handshakes with the other team. Carter turned to the crowd and said he'd be back. The handshakes finished and the team headed for the locker room. Carter turned around and came back to the fans, talked and signed autographs. Totally a class act. Carter won a lot of Indiana fans that day. I got a couple of nice photos with the champ. Injury or not, he's a four-timer in my book.
Carter is CSTar. An all time PSU athlete favorite. Love his attitude and his comfort talking to anyone. We need more Carters! He gets it and his impact on many. No tats just maybe the most competitive athlete PSU has ever seen. He believes he is the best, he says he’s the best, and he competes to back it up. He’ll be ready…

Carter is CSTar. An all time PSU athlete favorite. Love his attitude and his comfort talking to anyone. We need more Carters! He gets it and his impact on many. No tats just maybe the most competitive athlete PSU has ever seen. He believes he is the best, he says he’s the best, and he competes to back it up. He’ll be ready…
Reminds me so much of Bo, who would stand and sign autographs all day from the 10-14 year olds.

I had three fairly significant knee injuries the last 10 years. !0 years ago I blew out my patellar tendon. That was months to recover to resume light training and near a year to be 100%. Carter doesn't have that.

If I had to guess maybe a meniscus tear, or an MCL or LCL. I believe if it one of those the trainers can have him ready much quicker than many can imagine. I don't think it's an ACL or PCL but I'm no MRI machine. I know some soft tissue guys who have helped me greatly and I'm sure PSU has some of the best people available to help Starocci.

I had three fairly significant knee injuries the last 10 years. !0 years ago I blew out my patellar tendon. That was months to recover to resume light training and near a year to be 100%. Carter doesn't have that.

If I had to guess maybe a meniscus tear, or an MCL or LCL. I believe if it one of those the trainers can have him ready much quicker than many can imagine. I don't think it's an ACL or PCL but I'm no MRI machine. I know some soft tissue guys who have helped me greatly and I'm sure PSU has some of the best people available to help Starocci.
My best uneducated nonmedical guess is meniscus, but who knows? As others have said, the more likely it is that he wrestles through it, the more likely it is we will get zero information about the actual injury. We may find out something if it is definitively season-ending and there is no advantage in hiding details, but no one here wants to hear that...

Certainly cannot question his toughness at all. I would only be concerned with his stamina. He's been fighting illness which probably kept him off the mat. It will only add to his legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT