ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone listen to country music, without having their ears bleed?

4e902cf4e769dcbd5cd914bb8b974d6854566e07b5ac5a3637fb84620c2034d5_1.jpg

Country, rap, and what passes for "heavy" metal these days. I needn't ever hear another note of any.

This redneck at halftime is AWFUL!!!!!!
I grew up in a very rural county and went on to graduate from PSU and worked for 32 years in state and federal government. I guess because of where I grew up I would have been considered a redneck and am proud of it. The first guy I ever trained way back in the 90’s was born and raised in South Philadelphia and we got along great from the outset and still talk to this day. I am glad he didn’t judge me as a redneck. My redneck dad and uncle defended our country in two different foreign wars and my brother in law the redneck is a high ranking officer in the US military. The other worked for the State Department. Just sayin.

Country is way too broad a term. If you are talking red-neck consumption garbage like Toby Keith or Florida Georgia Line then completely agree. I do like old school artists like Willie Nelson, who were great songwriters but also blues-based. Most good music IMHO is blue-based. I love country bluegrass as a genre. So many great young musicians, like Billy Strings, who carry on the torch from Flat/Scruggs, Stanley Brothers, Doc Waston, Bill Monroe as well as next-gen stars like Grisman, Emmylou Harris/Gram Parsons, Del McCoury, Allison Kraus, Sam Bush. That sh&t is timeless and many, many great songs. Rarely is Oh Brother Where Are thou (deluxe edition with various versions) ever out of rotation. Some country blues, some bluegrass but all amazing. Chris Stapleton has amazing voice but again, country blues soul which is different to me. Another musician who is amazing, amazing talent is Marcus King. Dude rips up guitar but beautiful voice as well. I would say mostly southern country blues rock.

Country is way too broad a term. If you are talking red-neck consumption garbage like Toby Keith or Florida Georgia Line then completely agree. I do like old school artists like Willie Nelson, who were great songwriters but also blues-based. Most good music IMHO is blue-based. I love country bluegrass as a genre. So many great young musicians, like Billy Strings, who carry on the torch from Flat/Scruggs, Stanley Brothers, Doc Waston, Bill Monroe as well as next-gen stars like Grisman, Emmylou Harris/Gram Parsons, Del McCoury, Allison Kraus, Sam Bush. That sh&t is timeless and many, many great songs. Rarely is Oh Brother Where Are thou (deluxe edition with various versions) ever out of rotation. Some country blues, some bluegrass but all amazing. Chris Stapleton has amazing voice but again, country blues soul which is different to me. Another musician who is amazing, amazing talent is Marcus King. Dude rips up guitar but beautiful voice as well. I would say mostly southern country blues rock.

Well said. And a great song by Mr King! Thanks

Two things I can add to the conversation.
First, I’m a classic rock guy from the 70’s. Today’s country is like what we called Southern Rock back then.
Today’s country. Who cares when posters are giving you pictures of country girls like this thread? 😁

OL

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
x
Modern country music is sh*t, like most other modern music.

Just curious, what’s your opinion of the f*cking ghetto garbage they play on the stadium speakers prior to PSU games?
Yep. Was shocked to hear....plain as day.....’What the f*ck was that’ repeated several times as the refrain in a song. In a stadium with thousands of young kids in it.

Shameful.

Reactions: bison13
As a young man stationed in Fort Hood Texas in 1969-1970, from time to time I found myself in a roadhouse called the Rattle Snake Inn, in Florence Texas. The house band at the time was all about Johnny Cash, with Hank Williams mixed in. I was not a fan; at that time getting into the "Head" music before entering the Army. But today, the classic Country has grown on me; Hank, George Straight, etc, I find very enjoyable with a fire burning and an adult libation in hand.....

Lyle Lovett

"music" isn't a term that I associate with anything currently on the radio

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT