ADVERTISEMENT

Busiello

I want to see how he does verse Verk and Gardner. Wondering if he will have his shirt pulled
Bears repeating:

He is a true freshman who has not been with a D1 team for 6+ weeks and counting. He wrestled 138 last year. And he did not beat out Maruca when he was training with a D1 team.

Him winning the 149 job this year falls under the Anything Can Happen category. It's not something we should hope for -- it would be more of a reflection on Verk, Gardner, and Pipher

Bears repeating:

He is a true freshman who has not been with a D1 team for 6+ weeks and counting. He wrestled 138 last year. And he did not beat out Maruca when he was training with a D1 team.

Him winning the 149 job this year falls under the Anything Can Happen category. It's not something we should hope for -- it would be more of a reflection on Verk, Gardner, and Pipher

Vegas had the over/under on this reply at 6 minutes. El-Jefe was slow on the draw.

It's really surprising to hear 149 for Busiello because there were talks of him potentially wrestling off at 133 for ASU. Maybe that had something to do with him leaving who knows, but it's hard to imagine he would be anything near a full sized 149 this year.

It's really surprising to hear 149 for Busiello because there were talks of him potentially wrestling off at 133 for ASU. Maybe that had something to do with him leaving who knows, but it's hard to imagine he would be anything near a full sized 149 this year.

Well if he aspires to be in our lineup....

Rumors of a recent sighting in State college at Faccia Luna. Cassar and Busiello each sitting with large pizzas in front of them

Last edited:
Yes. I understand. What does that have to do with I want to see how he does against them. Did I say he would beat them ? I want to see that as a measure

Bears repeating:

Yes. I understand. What does that have to do with I want to see how he does against them. Did I say he would beat them ? I want to see that as a measure

You wondered if he would have his shirt pulled. That certainly implies that you think he would win the spot.

Bears repeating:

You can repeat that until the cows come home and it won't stop Goggles and the rest of Spyk's crew from hoping it will come to pass, wilfully ignoring the last clause in your post which is about as spot on as you can get.

Reactions: Lyons212
If he did , yes. I wonder if that is a possibility because wrestling has some different rules than football transfers. Sometimes wrestlers can come in for 2nd semester. No one has said A) if he is good he can or B) he has to sit a year no matter what.

So it’s two different things
a) I want to see how he does against our room
B) if he is good , is it even an option or does he have to sit no matter what due to him transferring in

You wondered if he would have his shirt pulled. That certainly implies that you think he would win the spot.

Just a note (and this would probably be better to break it out into its own thread, Tom, feel free to do just that if you wish), Kerkvliet won't be eligible until semester break of the 2020-21 season, and will only have, at that point, 4 years left to wrestle 3. So he could either wrestle the second half of the 2020-21 season, and then wrestle in 2021-22 and 2022-23, or sit the rest of 2020-21, and have the 2022, 2023, and 2024 postseasons to wrestle.
I'm curious if this would apply to Busiello as well being that he didn't fulfill his NLI by completing a year at ASU. It definitely seems like there's a gray area when it comes to transfers.

You can repeat that until the cows come home and it won't stop Goggles and the rest of Spyk's crew from hoping it will come to pass, wilfully ignoring the last clause in your post which is about as spot on as you can get.

Fiction. I give Adam chances at; 1). Being on our team and 2) winning a spot at 149 this year @ about 5% and that is being generous. Verk is no slouch and I really can't see a thinner true frosh being able to handle him. His positioning and defense is really solid. It probably wouldn't even be close. A year or two from now we might be taking

Last edited:
Bears repeating:

The cows aren't coming home any time soon, for the guys mentioned and many more.

Well... he is listed in the PSU student directory... :)

PSU directory > NYWRESTLER94 > Mineo

Just a note of caution about the student directory. It's pretty effective with enrolled students, but it's not an authoritative source in terms of athletes that are transfers or verbals.

I've seen multiple instances where football recruits who are planning to enroll in January, but who can't sign a letter of intent until mid-December (date varies each year; I believe it's Dec. 18th this year). In some situations, they haven't even announced their college choice before signing day. Because they need to be in PSU's system to register, get student notices, etc., and they'll be announcing their decision/sining their LOI, during finals week, and most of PSU's operations are closed during the semester break, either the athletic department or the respective teams (I'm not sure which) will get all of the process for enrolling completed, which includes getting the student a PSU e-mail, which causes them to appear in the directory. However, if the student elects to not transfer to PSU, commit to PSU and sign a LOI, etc., then the directory entry can subsequently be removed.

I was bummed when Adam decommitted so I am very excited to see him back. I know some people may not be as high on him as I am but I think he will have a very good career at PSU.
I'm with you on this one. I was disappointed he didn't come. He will do fine and apparently his heart was always at PSU

Bears repeating:

I agree but he's waiting in the wings which is nice. Want to see Gardner pipher and verk work it out may the best man win

Just a note of caution about the student directory. It's pretty effective with enrolled students, but it's not an authoritative source in terms of athletes that are transfers or verbals.

I've seen multiple instances where football recruits who are planning to enroll in January, but who can't sign a letter of intent until mid-December (date varies each year; I believe it's Dec. 18th this year). In some situations, they haven't even announced their college choice before signing day. Because they need to be in PSU's system to register, get student notices, etc., and they'll be announcing their decision/sining their LOI, during finals week, and most of PSU's operations are closed during the semester break, either the athletic department or the respective teams (I'm not sure which) will get all of the process for enrolling completed, which includes getting the student a PSU e-mail, which causes them to appear in the directory. However, if the student elects to not transfer to PSU, commit to PSU and sign a LOI, etc., then the directory entry can subsequently removed.
The real issue is: why Penn State still has its directories available to the general public and not internal-only with login/password control.

I heard some chatter this morning on this subject... nothing I can share details, but it did sound very promising, if I can trust my source (I haven’t since the Suriano fiasco).

I've seen multiple instances where football recruits who are planning to enroll in January, but who can't sign a letter of intent until mid-December (date varies each year; I believe it's Dec. 18th this year). In some situations, they haven't even announced their college choice before signing day. Because they need to be in PSU's system to register, get student notices, etc., and they'll be announcing their decision/sining their LOI, during finals week, and most of PSU's operations are closed during the semester break, either the athletic department or the respective teams (I'm not sure which) will get all of the process for enrolling completed, which includes getting the student a PSU e-mail, which causes them to appear in the directory. However, if the student elects to not transfer to PSU, commit to PSU and sign a LOI, etc., then the directory entry can subsequently removed.

I think this is exactly correct. I just checked a name of a friend's high school daughter that has been accepted to PSU. It shows up exactly the same as Adam Busiello and she won't graduate high school until May 2020 and hasn't even decided to go there yet (unlike with my kids that sent the $200 in the day they got their acceptance). So it appears that he may have been offered admittance, but may not have decided yet.

Still lots of speculation...

So Roster question--35 currently on roster, Kerk not on roster, but Kerks transfer has been announced, if Adam also officially transfers that makes 37. What is allowed? I thought 37 was the cap, but not sure of that number. If cap is lower, who gets removed?

Also Manville is not on the roster, I assume due to Olympic shirt?

So Roster question--35 currently on roster, Kerk not on roster, but Kerks transfer has been announced, if Adam also officially transfers that makes 37. What is allowed? I thought 37 was the cap, but not sure of that number. If cap is lower, who gets removed?

Pretty sure 37 is the number so not a problem. Also, with both Kerk and Busiello coming in second semester I doubt PSU would make Cael dump someone from the team is the number was 35 or 36.

Reactions: tabenn

Right, Manville on ORS, so not on roster.

I don't know whether Kerk and/or Busiello will be roster-eligible spring semester under whatever transfer "rules" might be applied, but I think there is also a tendency for a couple of rostered guys (freshmen, early graduates) to leave the team after fall semester is completed, so a spot or two usually opens up.

Yes, Manville is on Olympic shirt.

The roster cap is internal to each school and is a function of the male-female ratio across Athletics, to ensure Title IX compliance. So it could change a little in a given year, though it has been around 37. Seriously doubt PSU would make any coach boot an athlete to make room for an incoming transfer in the same academic year. More likely the women's teams would be encouraged to accept a new player.

Realistically, as large as PSU Athletics is, a mid-year transfer here or there is unlikely to upset the Athletics-wide gender balance -- and if PSU is smart, there might be some buffer built in.

Pretty sure 37 is the number so not a problem. Also, with both Kerk and Busiello coming in second semester I doubt PSU would make Cael dump someone from the team is the number was 35 or 36.

Right, Manville on ORS, so not on roster.

I don't know whether Kerk and/or Busiello will be roster-eligible spring semester under whatever transfer "rules" might be applied, but I think there is also a tendency for a couple of rostered guys (freshmen, early graduates) to leave the team after fall semester is completed, so a spot or two usually opens up.
The number is 37, though circumstances allow more. 38, if one guy is injured, no way they can wrestle, and they're left on the roster, for example. Slush is right about some leaving the program prior to graduating, but that more often happens after Spring semester than after Fall.

thanks! so the university sets the limit? not NCAA?
Yes, the school sets it. There's nothing in the NCAA rules about roster sizes, only scholarship limits (totally different discussion). It's not a known number for most schools. Heard NU's a few years back and it's much smaller than PSU's for example. We can look at rosters too, and see schools with more than us.

Yes, the school sets it. There's nothing in the NCAA rules about roster sizes, only scholarship limits (totally different discussion). It's not a known number for most schools. Heard NU's a few years back and it's much smaller than PSU's for example. We can look at rosters too, and see schools with more than us.
I assumed that would be a NCAA limit, all under the umbrella of creating a even playing field, I guess the 9.9 scholly limit does that.

with that said---why the heck is nobody talking/pushing for for more then 9.9 scholly for wrestling???

I assumed that would be a NCAA limit, all under the umbrella of creating a even playing field, I guess the 9.9 scholly limit does that.

with that said---why the heck is nobody talking/pushing for for more then 9.9 scholly for wrestling???
Some are, behind the scenes. We're small potatoes in the big picture though. Can't talk wrestling scholarships without talking about all sports. (ok, I guess you CAN, it's that we're not in some vacuum).

This is correct. It is a moving target based on enrollment %. So the higher % enrollment ratio of women:men, dictates the ratio of athletes on athletic rosters. It's kind of a safe-harbor way to manage compliance so they can easily defend a complaint, vs showing that you have met requests for varsity sports or are adequately working to create opportunities for women's athletics. So the number can change year to year, and can/will definitely vary from school to school. If an athletic department favors wrestling over hockey/basketball/football, they could allocate more roster spots to that sport.

Reactions: dicoh
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Busiello is now listed on the PSU roster on TW, although he has yet to certify. He is listed at 157, which for initial certs usually means you weigh between 149 and 157. Not sure if this means he just hasn't certified yet, or if he's not going to be added to the roster at all for the spring semester.

Kerklivet is listed as well and is certified. He will be on the roster for the spring semester it looks like.

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Busiello is now listed on the PSU roster on TW, although he has yet to certify. He is listed at 157, which for initial certs usually means you weigh between 149 and 157. Not sure if this means he just hasn't certified yet, or if he's not going to be added to the roster at all for the spring semester.

Kerklivet is listed as well and is certified. He will be on the roster for the spring semester it looks like.
Does this mean they should both have full eligibility and won't have to lose a year?

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT