ADVERTISEMENT

Bow and Arrow

Zukovski

Nov 7, 2004
The bow and arrow was a lethal weapon for Zain Train but why has no one else used it? Am I missing something?

The bow and arrow was a lethal weapon for Zain Train but why has no one else used it? Am I missing something?

Molinaro & McIntosh both used it a lot. Not everyone uses the same moves. Nick Lee has also used it. Probably others too that I don't remember.

Bo got us a dual-saving major against Martin using one in 2018. You can ask Pantaleo if Nolf’s is as good as Zain’s or not. Lee hit it a couple of times this year. I really never saw anyone but Zain get pins from it though.

I've seen freestyle refs stop Zain from using it a few times in matches as a turn.

I'm not entirely clear, though, about the hand-on-foot rule differences between freestyle and folkstyle in this regard.

Nickal has used it as well. (Myles Martin in the 2018 dual)

BTW is now illegal at the lower levels of wrestling (well. I believe it will get stopped as potentially dangerous immediately)

Molinaro & McIntosh both used it a lot. Not everyone uses the same moves. Nick Lee has also used it. Probably others too that I don't remember.
Did Molinaro ever use the bow and arrow? The turk was his go-to move on top, but I don't recall him ever grabbing the foot.

Bo got us a dual-saving major against Martin using one in 2018. You can ask Pantaleo if Nolf’s is as good as Zain’s or not. Lee hit it a couple of times this year. I really never saw anyone but Zain get pins from it though.
McIntosh racked up a number of pins with it -- including Bonaccorsi here:

McIntosh-pinned-Bonaccorsi_03.jpg

Did Molinaro ever use the bow and arrow? The turk was his go-to move on top, but I don't recall him ever grabbing the foot.

Tank did use the turk, which is different but most don't notice the difference. Frank would grab the foot to put his opponent's leg in the right position but then turk him over instead of pulling on the foot. Only jefe and those who know more about wrestling than I do would notice this distinction. :D

Reactions: matter7172
Why it's so infrequently used:
1. It's illegal in folkstyle prior to college -- so it's not taught until they arrive in college. By then, they are all comfortable with other top techniques.
2. It works best when the opponent is fully bellied out. Not everyone can break down a D1 opponent and keep him flat that long.
3. Reaching back for the foot is counter-intuitive to forward pressure. Zain's ankle scoop is unique -- pretty much everyone else reaches back. Plus, reaching back gives bottom the opportunity to at least get his chest off the mat (elbows on the mat with back arched), which makes the move harder to execute.
4. If the move isn't executed perfectly, it gets stopped as potentially dangerous.

Should also note that it was a perfect complement to Zain's existing top techniques. Could not have created a more fitting technique for him.

Best bow and arrow in my opinion was against Sorenson at Nationals. You know the one painful kind lol

I was at that match and thought McIntosh was going to snap Bonaccorsi in half.

As to technique, no one is/was as good as Zain in scooping up the leg. He rarely missed it. Once he had it, lights out.

True story: I remembered S’Mac’s senior year after writing my post. I thought about editing it, and thought “Naw, Jefe will say set the record straight.” ;)

Why it's so infrequently used:
1. It's illegal in folkstyle prior to college -- so it's not taught until they arrive in college. By then, they are all comfortable with other top techniques.
2. It works best when the opponent is fully bellied out. Not everyone can break down a D1 opponent and keep him flat that long.
3. Reaching back for the foot is counter-intuitive to forward pressure. Zain's ankle scoop is unique -- pretty much everyone else reaches back. Plus, reaching back gives bottom the opportunity to at least get his chest off the mat (elbows on the mat with back arched), which makes the move harder to execute.
4. If the move isn't executed perfectly, it gets stopped as potentially dangerous.

Should also note that it was a perfect complement to Zain's existing top techniques. Could not have created a more fitting technique for him.

Thanks El Jefe. You again come through with some well done analysis.

Cenzo ran it on Ethan Smith this year I think but lost the grip and almost got reversed (ended up only being an escape) but he got 2NF.

Terry tried it late in his match vs Iran's Alireza Dabir. Semis 2000 Olympics with Terry losing 6-4. Dont understand how thats pot dangerous.

This is the only full vid of the match I could find on YouTube. No broadcast, the one with us announcers used too be up.

Dabir is 4 inches taller, about 9 years younger and looked huge for 58 KG. I watched alot of his matches online he had a slick single leg.

Also imagine if the pushout point was in play. That would of changed any Brands match.

Watch Kenny Monday vs Schultz. Schultz had Monday's soul of his foot on his head lol. Then Monday would do it back. Crazy.

Terry tried it late in his match vs Iran's Alireza Dabir. Semis 2000 Olympics with Terry losing 6-4. Dont understand how thats pot dangerous.

This is the only full vid of the match I could find on YouTube. No broadcast, the one with us announcers used too be up.

Dabir is 4 inches taller, about 9 years younger and looked huge for 58 KG. I watched alot of his matches online he had a slick single leg.

Also imagine if the pushout point was in play. That would of changed any Brands match.

I fail to understand the officiating in that Brands match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT