ADVERTISEMENT

Bottom line, this team is not good at all.....

MacNit is calling you out for being a die hard Franklin Bot/Franklin Apologist/Franklin Supporter, whatever you call it. People were complaining about the defense being soft ever since 2018 and Franklin’s Game management and Football IQ, and you were quick to go out of your way to support Franklin.
He’s been to NYD bowl games in 3 of the last 4 years. I didn’t see your 0-5 predictions either. Nobody saw this coming so excuse me if I call BS on that.

Reactions: PearlandLion
He’s been to NYD bowl games in 3 of the last 4 years. I didn’t see your 0-5 predictions either. Nobody saw this coming so excuse me if I call BS on that.

Let’s be very clear here....no one predicted or saw 0-5 happening. People have complained about the team being soft, Franklin’s poor game management and football IQ, and his recruiting.

Reactions: 84Lion
When we have tryouts for teams I coach we have an evaluation sheet for each player. They have various criteria we evaluate based on the sport and their position.

For football each kid gets measured in similar fashion as a combine, 60, shuttle, strength, etc. They then have their skill specific drills like seeing if a kid can actually tackle or catch, but the last column on our form has a heading, BCHP...

That stands for " BUT CAN HE PLAY?" in other words, no matter what the kids testing numbers are, sometimes they just can't get it done on the field for whatever reason. Maybe it's poor anticipation or low game IQ but generally its lack of either physical or mental toughness. I think that this team has too many guys who dont have that last box on my form checked.

It happens. You get a group that simply does not play well. It happened to Joe. It’s happening now despite the recruiting rankings.

Reactions: bison13
LOL , beating Kentucky 2018 and Memphis 2019. What do you HONESTLY think the Penn State NYD record would be if the opponents were Florida 2018 and Alabama 2019. And yes, Michigan has underperformed this year.

Now lets talk excuses , Parsons is gone and Freiermuth is out and Hammer graduated. Try playing the last three games with your 2019 STARTING left tackle (Hayes), right tackle (all big 10 preseason) Mayfield , starting left DE (Hutchinson all big 10) starting right DE (all big 10 Paye) all out.

Michigan may (I say may) have found its Trace McSorley (without the baseball swing) in Cade McNamara.

You certainly said the current situation very well. Also the Off Co-ord job has changed almost yearly and yet we see no changes in the playbook. We have two running plays. QB up the middle or RB up the middle, right into a defense that sometimes out numbers us and always out muscles us. QB under center, screen pass, etc, etc are in all teams playbooks except PSU. I have been a fan since 1963 and have seen a lot of excellence in coaching and players, and a few poor teams but have never seen anything as terrible as this team.
They ran a half dozen pitch plays yesterday including one critical fumble

LOL , beating Kentucky 2018 and Memphis 2019. What do you HONESTLY think the Penn State NYD record would be if the opponents were Florida 2018 and Alabama 2019. And yes, Michigan has underperformed this year.

Now lets talk excuses , Parsons is gone and Freiermuth is out and Hammer graduated. Try playing the last three games with your 2019 STARTING left tackle (Hayes), right tackle (all big 10 preseason) Mayfield , starting left DE (Hutchinson all big 10) starting right DE (all big 10 Paye) all out.

Michigan may (I say may) have found its Trace McSorley (without the baseball swing) in Cade McNamara.
FYI Kentucky game the citrus bowl was not a NY6 bowl, and psu lost that game. But whatever come and thump your chest about McNamara and Michigan. Kick Psu while we are down, won't be shocked if PSU gets pounded this weekend again.

Reactions: NittanyBuff24

When UM wins anything under Harbaugh, look me up dumb dumb. Hell you guys may the only team PSU beats this year.

I’d rather have Franklin than CTE loon.

Saddest part is that we aren’t getting better
in fact I see players regressing
Lack of effort on last int says all you can say about this team
they have quit on coach and system
Lack of effort you say!!! Did you see the attempts to tackle that defensive lineman on his interception TD run? Positively herculean. Need I say more?

Then do what Joe did one year; bench them and play kids who want to play.
The sad thing is that the guys who are out there are better than the guys on the bench. I always thought that these players came to campus with at least some football skills. But now I think that I should be out there instead of them. Over 50 years ago, I was not good enough to make my mediocre HS football team. Yet I swear that I could miss tackles, miss blocks, drop passes, and get generally blown off the ball at least as well as the guys I watched yesterday. Do they regress?

Yeah I must have missed your posts saying PSU would start off 0-5 or possibly go without a W this year.
Easy tiger...I was as optimistic as anyone...but that Indiana fiasco was beyond the pale. And it has just gotten worse.

How crazy is this after watching the Hoosiers move the ball all over the Buckeyes? If Ford slides, we would have held IU to 113 yards of Total Offense. Since then, we call that the 1st quarter:

• OSU 120 yards their first 2 drives
  • UMD 165 yards their first 3 drives
  • Nebraska 150 yards their first 3 drives
  • Iowa 130 yards their first 2 drives

giphy.gif

It's called player development.
It's not as easy as recruiting 4 and 5 star players, putting them out there based on potential and saying, "Go get em boys"
Any coach worth a damm knows how to break down a player and build them up his way.

Did you notice anything about our opponent today.
They never win recruiting wars.
But did you see how they dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball.
And how they played sound fundamental football.
Last I checked the team in blue hadn't done any of that.

My post was mostly rhetorical; people were (some still are) crapping their pants over recruiting rankings and how CJF is 'KILLING IT!!!' on the recruiting trail. Outside of Parsons and Sanders, he hasn't landed an elite prospect worthy of the ranking when it comes to producing in college and on the field (may be able to add in Gesicki; Barkley was seriously underrated out of HS). We saw this with Brady Hoke at Michigan - recruited better than Franklin (he had two top ten classes in his four years as HC) but stars didn't translate to wins. Someone (not sure who because I think they keep changing user names) posted a thread that had a link to an article that compared 'roster talent' with 'average end of year ranking' and Penn State was square in the 'performs as expected' category. That means the talent recruited and on the roster basically played to their average roster recruiting rankings (think it was around #12 or something like that). So, they didn't get worse, but also didn't get better, which goes to player development and coaching. Franklin has had very high turnover (IMO) on offense and it's tough to watch these OC's and position coaches getting canned because they're running the system Franklin is determined to run (player compatibility be damned). JoMo had Barkley and McSorley (Godwin, Hamilton, Gesicki, etc.) for two years - not hard to see why he had success and is the one positive outlier at OC.

Franklin has always talked about how prepared he is; what he needs to be is adaptable. He needs a bigger bag of tricks and should be studying clock management books like Beth Harmon studies chess games. Unlike her, he doesn't seem to learn from mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Grass
How crazy is this after watching the Hoosiers move the ball all over the Buckeyes? If Ford slides, we would have held IU to 113 yards of Total Offense. Since then, we call that the 1st quarter:

• OSU 120 yards their first 2 drives
  • UMD 165 yards their first 3 drives
  • Nebraska 150 yards their first 3 drives
  • Iowa 130 yards their first 2 drives

giphy.gif
I believe you are correct...that call of epic studpidity caused the tents to fold...

I saw both Guard’s and on one occasion the Center literally shy off blocks (on several plays) allowing the defense to blow up the play behind the line of scrimmage. I’m not suggesting that coach Franklin should have flipped out but at the very least walk over and ask WTF is going on!! But something tells me there is a much deeper issue with the team and Coach Franklin, something is not right.
I agree, there’s something going on with Franklin and the team. There’s no fire. The staff and players are just going through the motions. Best thing that could happen now is a COVID shutdown a la maryland

Not a knock on any player personally...but even average QB play could cover up for some of the ugliness apparent at other positions. For example, although the OL has not performed to (better) expectations, there are nevertheless frequent instances in which the QB is given adequate time but is so indecisive that it leads to a sack or an overthrow anyway.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Not a knock on any player personally...but even average QB play could cover up for some of the ugliness apparent at other positions. For example, although the OL has not performed to (better) expectations, there are nevertheless frequent instances in which the QB is given adequate time but is so indecisive that it leads to a sack or an overthrow anyway.
For an experienced OL, they are atrocious. They don't play as a unit and they certainly aren't a very physical group. I had hoped that Phil T would change that mentality.....but it hasn't occurred.

Franklin is working with recruiting classes ranked (per Rivals):

2020 - 15
2019 -11
2018 - 5
2017 - 12
2016 - 21

There can’t be that many misses that your team is 0-5 for the first time in history.

The 2018 Class is a farce:

Parson: Opt Out
Shorter: Transfer
Slade: Transfer
Walker: Decent
Oweh: Project at best
Mustipher: Soft
Asiedu: Retired

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The 2018 Class is a farce:

Parson: Opt Out
Shorter: Transfer
Slade: Transfer
Walker: Decent
Oweh: Project at best
Mustipher: Soft
Asiedu: Retired

Yeah, was going to add a lot of Franklin's top recruits just never worked out - your list is proof. You can add Johnson to the list noting he had a 'decent' career at Penn State but not worthy of his 5*, Megatron Jr. status coming out of HS.

The coaching /clock management at the end of the Indiana was the single worst coaching decision I have seen in 50+ years of playing, coaching, and watching sports.

And it started a rapid downward spiral in Penn State heretofore unforeseen. With any minimum level competency at AD, the coach would have already been dismissed. Not a good time for a proven incompetent when tough decisions must be made.

Just pathetic!

Sorry but there isn’t an AD in the country that would have dismissed Franklin given his track record to date plus the size of his buyout combined with the fact that the athletic dept is operating at a huge deficit this year due to the pandemic. This is not an endorsement of Franklin.

Franklin is working with recruiting classes ranked (per Rivals):

2020 - 15
2019 -11
2018 - 5
2017 - 12
2016 - 21

There can’t be that many misses that your team is 0-5 for the first time in history.

Michigan State beat Michigan in Ann Arbor. Hopefully, Penn State is next!

Sorry but there isn’t an AD in the country that would have dismissed Franklin given his track record to date plus the size of his buyout combined with the fact that the athletic dept is operating at a huge deficit this year due to the pandemic. This is not an endorsement of Franklin.
I certainly agree that Sandy would not be capable of pulling the trigger. Does not make it any less necessary. But since she signed Franklin to the huge extension, she should resign in addition to firing Franklin. It’s called accountability.

I certainly agree that Sandy would not be capable of pulling the trigger. Does not make it any less necessary. But since she signed Franklin to the huge extension, she should resign in addition to firing Franklin. It’s called accountability.

No one would under the circumstances, necessary or not. Eating a 38 million dollar buyout when the AD is operating at a deficit isn't happening. It is what it is.

I expect next season to go incredibly poorly and for a change to be made for 2021 (assuming fans are back in the stands next year).

No one would under the circumstances, necessary or not. Eating a 38 million dollar buyout when the AD is operating at a deficit isn't happening. It is what it is.

I expect next season to go incredibly poorly and for a change to be made for 2021 (assuming fans are back in the stands next year).
And what will the buyout be after 2021?

No one stated it was a million. Reading comprehension.
My bad...so basically those who advocate expense driven decisions (not that should not be considered)...must believe we were stuck with him for most/all the duration of his contract. And with CJF’s stock plummeted to below zero, there is little chance of dalliances of those who would be willing to take him off our hands...great...with Sandy and Barron we are certainly screwed...should be a barrel full of laughs at Beaver Stadium next fall...

Agree with everything you posted and more. Did the loss of coach spencer on the DL cause this much of a regression? PJ and Shelton were fairly stout last year. Good run D last year. This year and specifically yesterday was pathetic. And your comment on the LBs is spot on. This has to be the worst collection of 4 and 5 star LB talent in the country.

IMO part of the problem is that yea Shelton and PJ looked fairly stout last year because they are good players to come off the bench. The problem now is that they are starting and are avg. at best.

My bad...so basically those who advocate expense driven decisions (not that should not be considered)...must believe we were stuck with him for most/all the duration of his contract. And with CJF’s stock plummeted to below zero, there is little chance of dalliances of those who would be willing to take him off our hands...great...with Sandy and Barron we are certainly screwed...should be a barrel full of laughs at Beaver Stadium next fall...

Stuck with him next year due to revenue shortfall in 2020. After next year depends on the product on the field. Anyone's guess at this point. If he goes winless in the big ten back to back seasons he won't be back to try for a third. Feels like this program is about to follow FSU's path and not Clemson's unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Stuck with him next year due to revenue shortfall in 2020. After next year depends on the product on the field. Anyone's guess at this point. If he goes winless in the big ten back to back seasons he won't be back to try for a third. Feels like this program is about to follow FSU's path and not Clemson's unfortunately.
Truly sad...things seemed so promising just a few months ago...but it appears it may have been an illusion or we saw what we wanted to see. I was as guilty as anyone of overlooking the game/clock management gaffes...I convinced myself that he would grow out of it. Indiana was the last straw for me...it just is not going to happen...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT