ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Seedings at 174, 197

tomsc

Nov 2, 2014
I know Roar will come out with a more comprehensive, detailed review of records and seedings. But after watching the Nebraska-Iowa dual with big matches at 174 and 197, I thought I would look at what might be the top 4 seedings at 2 tough weights important to us: 174 and 197. I was a little surprised. Here are what I project the top 4 to be at those 2 weights:

#1 Starocci (6-0) No discussion there
#2 Massa (7-1) Only loss to Starocci with win over Labriola. Did not wrestle Kemerer
#3 Labriola (6-2) Losses to Massa & Nijenhuis, but HTH win over Kemerer
#4 Kemerer (6-2) Losses to Starocci and Labriola. Labriola and Kemerer could switch. Kemerer has "better losses", but he did lose the HTH with Labriola.
If those were to be the seeds, who would have thought Starocci would face Kemerer in the semis! That Labriola-Kemerer bout was a great bout to watch!

#1 Caffey (8-0) With the win over Dean, I put him first. Also with wins over Bulsak & Penola (not the toughest schedule, but win over Dean is big)
#2 Schultz (8-0) Wins over Warner, Brucki, Penola & Beard (although with Beard getting the only 2 TDs in that match, not much of a win, but it counts)
#3 Dean (5-1) Wins over Warner, Brucki & Bulsak; loss to Caffey. It would have been interesting to see how Dean did with Schultz.
#4 Warner (6-2) Only win over B1G wrestler with winning record--Penola (5-3 record). Losses to Schultz & Dean.
You could argue Caffey vs Schultz for #1. If the seeds stand as I wrote them, Dean would get Schultz in semis. That would be strange to have the guy who's ranked #1 in the country only be seeded 3rd in his conference tournament!

What do you think?

Reactions: slushhead
The question with Caffey is his 2 conference losses (Beard, Wroblewski) -- but neither were in duals.

IMO that should be no less than a tie-breaker, giving Shultz the 1.

There's an argument for him to be below Dean despite the H2H: conferene duals are too small a sample set, should also include tourney results. (That's true -- max 8 duals out of 13 possible opponents.) How this affects seeds ... we'll see.

I know Roar will come out with a more comprehensive, detailed review of records and seedings. But after watching the Nebraska-Iowa dual with big matches at 174 and 197, I thought I would look at what might be the top 4 seedings at 2 tough weights important to us: 174 and 197. I was a little surprised. Here are what I project the top 4 to be at those 2 weights:

#1 Starocci (6-0) No discussion there
#2 Massa (7-1) Only loss to Starocci with win over Labriola. Did not wrestle Kemerer
#3 Labriola (6-2) Losses to Massa & Nijenhuis, but HTH win over Kemerer
#4 Kemerer (6-2) Losses to Starocci and Labriola. Labriola and Kemerer could switch. Kemerer has "better losses", but he did lose the HTH with Labriola.
If those were to be the seeds, who would have thought Starocci would face Kemerer in the semis! That Labriola-Kemerer bout was a great bout to watch!

#1 Caffey (8-0) With the win over Dean, I put him first. Also with wins over Bulsak & Penola (not the toughest schedule, but win over Dean is big)
#2 Schultz (8-0) Wins over Warner, Brucki, Penola & Beard (although with Beard getting the only 2 TDs in that match, not much of a win, but it counts)
#3 Dean (5-1) Wins over Warner, Brucki & Bulsak; loss to Caffey. It would have been interesting to see how Dean did with Schultz.
#4 Warner (6-2) Only win over B1G wrestler with winning record--Penola (5-3 record). Losses to Schultz & Dean.
You could argue Caffey vs Schultz for #1. If the seeds stand as I wrote them, Dean would get Schultz in semis. That would be strange to have the guy who's ranked #1 in the country only be seeded 3rd in his conference tournament!

What do you think?
Agree with all, with the same note that 1-seed at 197 could go either way. I suspect it will be Schultz.

I somehow missed that Roar had already started his B1G pre-seeds. That renders this thread superfluous. I need to spend more time on the board to keep up with things!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT