ADVERTISEMENT

Bottom line, this team is not good at all.....

LaJolla Lion

May 29, 2001
Cumberland line
QB's are turnover machines.
OL and DL are soft as sh!t....melted butter on both sides. They got pushed around like toddlers today.
LB's are way overhyped and do not know how to wrap up. 4-5 star LB's my arse....how about any fundamentals?
DB's.....just suck. Coverage, hands, tackling....awful.
Coaching decisions are atrocious. Good job on 4th and 2....letting them stretch the lead at half.

This isn't a good team from the top down and it does start at the TOP. The staff and team should be embarrassed, yet they are dancing after a tackle or catch. You lost that right at 0-2....you're now 0-5 for the first time ever at PSU....congrats on wearing that forever. Have some f--king pride, win a game and don't dance because you made a play....win a f--king game. I don't give 2 sh!ts what the staff or kids say anymore.....it's talk...and it's meaningless.

OL and DL are soft as sh!t....melted butter on both sides. They got pushed around like toddlers today.
LB's are way overhyped and do not know how to wrap up. 4-5 star LB's my arse....how about any fundamentals?
Coaching decisions are atrocious. Good job on 4th and 2....letting them stretch the lead at half.

This isn't a good team from the top down and it does start at the TOP. The staff and team should be embarrassed, yet they are dancing after a tackle or catch. You lost that right at 0-2....you're now 0-5 for the first time ever at PSU....congrats on wearing that forever. Have some f--king pride, win a game and don't dance because you made a play....win a f--king game. I don't give 2 sh!ts what the staff or kids say anymore.....it's talk...and it's meaningless.

Franklin is working with recruiting classes ranked (per Rivals):

2020 - 15
2019 -11
2018 - 5
2017 - 12
2016 - 21

There can’t be that many misses that your team is 0-5 for the first time in history.

It has come up before, but the turnover of coaches in this program has to be a significant negative. It might in part explain the regression we are seeing of experienced contributors as well as the lack of development of the new players.

5c8d467d2cb40222d647a507627e4153.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Hard to argue with any of that.

I started keeping a list... Then I gave up.

1.) #40 missing the TFL that resulted in a TD (already discussed)
2.) #1 missing an easy pick. As in EASY.....
3.) #7 made a great pitch to #24.................. not.
4.) #1 again. All he had to do is touch the ball for an incomplete pass. Instead, the ball is on the one.
5.) #OL getting blown up on 3rd down and 4th down. Bad play calls as well. We can't "power" anyone.
6.) Was that another fade down the sideline to #5 on 4th down with 53 seconds left? Can't call a hitch? Come back?.....

Reactions: THEEHMANN

I saw both Guard’s and on one occasion the Center literally shy off blocks (on several plays) allowing the defense to blow up the play behind the line of scrimmage. I’m not suggesting that coach Franklin should have flipped out but at the very least walk over and ask WTF is going on!! But something tells me there is a much deeper issue with the team and Coach Franklin, something is not right.

Last edited:
I saw both Guard’s and on one occasion the Center literally shy off blocks on several plays allowing the defense to blow up the play behind the line of scrimmage. I’m not suggesting that coach Franklin should have flipped out but at the very least walk over and ask WTF is going on!! But something tells me there is a much deeper issue with the team and Coach Franklin, something is not right.
I agree.

I would imagine that PSU's team goals entering the season were to win the Big and possibly get to the playoffs. That is the expectations that have been created. The loss to Indiana, and the way it happened shook confidence for sure. I could not believe PSU didn't take three knees game one to win in regulation. As a player I would have had a hard time understanding the way that ended. Then not being competitive with OSU ended the season. It is as simple as that. At the time I did not think that the IU loss would be as damaging as it is. But winning that game probably would have changed the outlook even with the OSU loss. The staff has not been able to get the team back after starting 0-2. To overcome the start required a cohesive staff and team leaders. Too many new coaches for cohesion, and no idea if the loss of Parson and Brown also took away the leadership.

Except Isom would knock your teeth out. #38 should not see the field again.
Franklin needs a very hot seat. As your favorite analyst would say, “this is on Franklin.” This team has no leadership on or off the field.

Yeah, sorry I was not clear in my initial post comparing those two, #38 and Ray Isom -- alike in size and position, but not at all alike in performance, maturity, and toughness. This 2020 team is lacking in Isom types.

Even though the recruiting rankings have been very good it just seems like the evaluations of guys were wrong, especially on the offensive line. Our center committed a false start today. The guy who is responsible for snapping the ball. If there is anyone who should never commit a false start it's the center.

It's just mistake after mistake out there. It really is a comedy of errors. At this point is there even one win on the schedule? I can't even believe I am saying this but can we even beat Rutgers? Normally I'd chalk up Maryland and Rutgers as automatic but Maryland ran us out of our own stadium. Joey Porter Jr. might be the lone bright spot I've seen so far this year.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I would imagine that PSU's team goals entering the season were to win the Big and possibly get to the playoffs. That is the expectations that have been created. The loss to Indiana, and the way it happened shook confidence for sure. I could not believe PSU didn't take three knees game one to win in regulation. As a player I would have had a hard time understanding the way that ended. Then not being competitive with OSU ended the season. It is as simple as that. At the time I did not think that the IU loss would be as damaging as it is. But winning that game probably would have changed the outlook even with the OSU loss. The staff has not been able to get the team back after starting 0-2. To overcome the start required a cohesive staff and team leaders. Too many new coaches for cohesion, and no idea if the loss of Parson and Brown also took away the leadership.
My take on the Indiana loss in the immediate aftermath (still hope I’m wrong but it looks closer to reality with each passing week):

“Every week is different, and you never know what to expect. Having said that, if PSU plays like this next week it could be a massacre — and (I’ll get crucified for even thinking/saying this) it could send PSU into a spiral in recruiting and beyond to rival the effects that the 48-14 beatdown had on Pitt.”

Seems you have seen the light?

Reactions: 84Lion
My take on the Indiana loss in the immediate aftermath (still hope I’m wrong but it looks closer to reality with each passing week):

“Every week is different, and you never know what to expect. Having said that, if PSU plays like this next week it could be a massacre — and (I’ll get crucified for even thinking/saying this) it could send PSU into a spiral in recruiting and beyond to rival the effects that the 48-14 beatdown had on Pitt.”
The coaching /clock management at the end of the Indiana was the single worst coaching decision I have seen in 50+ years of playing, coaching, and watching sports.

And it started a rapid downward spiral in Penn State heretofore unforeseen. With any minimum level competency at AD, the coach would have already been dismissed. Not a good time for a proven incompetent when tough decisions must be made.

Just pathetic!

Reactions: psu2016
Franklin is working with recruiting classes ranked (per Rivals):

2020 - 15
2019 -11
2018 - 5
2017 - 12
2016 - 21

There can’t be that many misses that your team is 0-5 for the first time in history.
It's called player development.
It's not as easy as recruiting 4 and 5 star players, putting them out there based on potential and saying, "Go get em boys"
Any coach worth a damm knows how to break down a player and build them up his way.

Did you notice anything about our opponent today.
They never win recruiting wars.
But did you see how they dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball.
And how they played sound fundamental football.
Last I checked the team in blue hadn't done any of that.

When we have tryouts for teams I coach we have an evaluation sheet for each player. They have various criteria we evaluate based on the sport and their position.

For football each kid gets measured in similar fashion as a combine, 40, shuttle, strength, etc. They then have their skill specific drills like seeing if a kid can actually tackle or catch, but the last column on our form has a heading, BCHP...

That stands for " BUT CAN HE PLAY?" in other words, no matter what the kids testing numbers are, sometimes they just can't get it done on the field for whatever reason. Maybe it's poor anticipation or low game IQ but generally its lack of either physical or mental toughness. I think that this team has too many guys who dont have that last box on my form checked.

Last edited:
When we have tryouts for teams I coach we have an evaluation sheet for each player. They have various criteria we evaluate based on the sport and their position.

For football each kid gets measured in similar fashion as a combine, 60, shuttle, strength, etc. They then have their skill specific drills like seeing if a kid can actually tackle or catch, but the last column on our form has a heading, BCHP...

That stands for " BUT CAN HE PLAY?" in other words, no matter what the kids testing numbers are, sometimes they just can't get it done on the field for whatever reason. Maybe it's poor anticipation or low game IQ but generally its lack of either physical or mental toughness. I think that this team has too many guys who dont have that last box on my form checked.
I think your point is much like why the NFL combine is so vastly overrated, either you can play or you can't..

Reactions: bison13
Agree with everything you posted and more. Did the loss of coach spencer on the DL cause this much of a regression? PJ and Shelton were fairly stout last year. Good run D last year. This year and specifically yesterday was pathetic. And your comment on the LBs is spot on. This has to be the worst collection of 4 and 5 star LB talent in the country.

I think your point is much like why the NFL combine is so vastly overrated, either you can play or you can't..
And that's why we always have some kids who are lower in the combine type numbers but end up being all-conference type players for us because they just know how to play the game. Generally it's some kid that's not as strong playing on the d-line who understands leverage and could consistently beat stronger guys or a slower linebacker or safety who's always making the correct read and in the correct position to make plays that better athletes don't.
Those are two things that are missing from Penn State's defense right now.

Yeah I must have missed your posts saying PSU would start off 0-5 or possibly go without a W this year.

MacNit is calling you out for being a die hard Franklin Bot/Franklin Apologist/Franklin Supporter, whatever you call it. People were complaining about the defense being soft ever since 2018 and Franklin’s Game management and Football IQ, and you were quick to go out of your way to support Franklin.

You certainly said the current situation very well. Also the Off Co-ord job has changed almost yearly and yet we see no changes in the playbook. We have two running plays. QB up the middle or RB up the middle, right into a defense that sometimes out numbers us and always out muscles us. QB under center, screen pass, etc, etc are in all teams playbooks except PSU. I have been a fan since 1963 and have seen a lot of excellence in coaching and players, and a few poor teams but have never seen anything as terrible as this team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT