ADVERTISEMENT

Board of Trustees and Paterno family statements

Yep. This is one of the topics I touched on with the guy I met. I told him I wanted to know why everything from renovations to new construction seems to cost so much more per square foot at PSU than in the rest of the world. And PSU isn't like Alaska where getting in materials is a big chunk of the cost.

I hit him with a bunch of things. As many as I could without making him lose interest in what I was saying, which would make him forget about everything I was saying.
I'd like to hit some of the BOT with a bunch of things

Reactions: 91Joe95
Sue Paterno is an amazing woman. Her lifelong efforts, alongside Joe Paterno, have made this University and the State College community stronger and better than it could have ever achieved. As Bob78 said, she is light years better than I will ever be. I owe a debt of gratitude to her and Joe for everything they have done directly for Penn State, and indirectly for me.

As I sit at my desk this Friday afternoon, and for the first time that I can think of, I wholeheartedly disagree with the approach the Paterno family is taking with this - and I understand that there are reasons for this that I will never be, nor should be, privy to.

Sue Paterno and the Paterno family may have agreed to a resolution, but that does not mean I have. The resolution does not begin the steps to restoring the good name of Joe Paterno, it does nothing to hold accountable those who chose to drag his name through the mud and create a negative perception of him, the University and the football program. The negative perception created so a small group of cowards can protect themselves instead of holding themselves accountable as leaders should do.

I will continue to hate the OG Bot, the NCAA. Mark Emmert, Louis Freeh, and others involved with this fiasco. Irrespective of the resolution the Paterno family has agreed to.

Agreed. I have great respect for the Paternos. But when the university removed the statue, etc...it tore down part of our history. It allowed our community to be attacked. We all have deep, personal connections to Penn State. The Paternos can’t unilaterally resolve this issue for all of us.

Surprised there’s no discussion on this piece from the Philadelphia Inquire article ...

It’s unclear the statue of Joe Paterno, removed after the scandal, will be returned. “There are no plans by the university to reinstall the statue,” said Penn State spokesperson Lawrence Lokman. “Any changes in the future would require the mutual approval of the Paterno family.”
I hope the only statue the Paterno family agrees to is one with Joe with 2 middle fingers in the air in front of Old Main. Not pointed towards the town direction if you catch my drift.

So, if "The University has made clear that Mr. Freeh's opinions about Joe were never endorsed by Penn State." then there should be no reason not to be honoring Joe.

So, my follow up question is "when is the school going to honor Joe Paterno's huge contributions to the university?" It doesn't have to be the statue per se, but naming the stadium, curtain road, whatever.

And generally defending him to the press would be a nice thing too.
Abso-freaking-lutely!

Sue Paterno is an amazing woman. Her lifelong efforts, alongside Joe Paterno, have made this University and the State College community stronger and better than it could have ever achieved. As Bob78 said, she is light years better than I will ever be. I owe a debt of gratitude to her and Joe for everything they have done directly for Penn State, and indirectly for me.

As I sit at my desk this Friday afternoon, and for the first time that I can think of, I wholeheartedly disagree with the approach the Paterno family is taking with this - and I understand that there are reasons for this that I will never be, nor should be, privy to.

Sue Paterno and the Paterno family may have agreed to a resolution, but that does not mean I have. The resolution does not begin the steps to restoring the good name of Joe Paterno, it does nothing to hold accountable those who chose to drag his name through the mud and create a negative perception of him, the University and the football program. The negative perception created so a small group of cowards can protect themselves instead of holding themselves accountable as leaders should do.

I will continue to hate the OG Bot, the NCAA. Mark Emmert, Louis Freeh, and others involved with this fiasco. Irrespective of the resolution the Paterno family has agreed to.
Could not agree more!

I concur. Additionally, I would like to see Curtin Road renamed The Paterno Way as it runs from the library to the football stadium.

I've always been a big fan of this (and changing the address of Beaver Stadium to 409 Paterno Way). I think it's the kind of subdued honor Paterno would have wanted and it reflects both is contributions on and off the field.

BOT: We didn’t really do anything wrong, but we apologize if you thought something out of our control suggested something you didn’t like. So alumni get your checkbooks out. We have overpriced construction to fund. Right, Sue?

Reactions: Ski and 91Joe95
So, if "The University has made clear that Mr. Freeh's opinions about Joe were never endorsed by Penn State." then there should be no reason not to be honoring Joe.

So, my follow up question is "when is the school going to honor Joe Paterno's huge contributions to the university?" It doesn't have to be the statue per se, but naming the stadium, curtain road, whatever.

And generally defending him to the press would be a nice thing too.
100% agree. This is one small donor who continues to sit on his contributions (less Thon) until Joe is honored.

Reactions: john4psu
Great post. I lost my wife ten years ago. There are still many days I wake in tears. This morning marked the 40th anniversary of losing a child to a late miscarriage. When I looked at the calendar at 6am it hit me. Just another part of our life we shared.
I can't imagine what Sue has been thru. To suffer the same loss of a spouse, yet have him unfairly dragged thru the dirt. Vilified by every form of media and by countless, misinformed "journalists." But we only know the public insults and pain. She too has had to cope with the loss in very private moments, as she remembers what she and Joe shared. She has suffered beyond what any widow should have to endure. Yet she has never lost her poise.
So guys, if this brings a measure of peace to Sue, I'm all in.
In comparison to her......who am I to say what should be the resolution?

Great post and echoes my thoughts. When the wife and children of the man whose character was destroyed are asking that we move on and support the university, who am I to tell them no, we should keep fighting the school to its detriment? I can't speak for Joe, but I would think he would want me to do what Sue asked.

Reactions: marshall23
"Many of those reports and statements, including the Freeh Report, contain opinions about individuals and matters that are not shared by the University."

That statement by the fuhrer still deserves more attention. It obviously says nothing definitive. Dambly knows that Freeh knows the lies and Freeh knows he was paid handsomely to fabricate lies (not opinions, by the way). There are buried bodies and skeletons all around. The only innocent folks are the so-called four most powerful people whom Freeh the BOT, Emmert and fools, and PAOAG tried to blame.

"Many of those reports and statements, including the Freeh Report, contain opinions about individuals and matters that are not shared by the University."

That statement by the fuhrer still deserves more attention. It obviously says nothing definitive. Dambly knows that Freeh knows the lies and Freeh knows he was paid handsomely to fabricate lies (not opinions, by the way). There are buried bodies and skeletons all around. The only innocent folks are the so-called four most powerful people whom Freeh the BOT, Emmert and fools, and PAOAG tried to blame.

The guilty folks are Tom Corbett, Frank Fina, Cynthia Baldwin, Louis Freeh, and the old guard BOT among others. The BOT may not want any further investigations into what exactly happened, but that is not going to happen. Given that Frank Fina has been shown to be guilty of prosecutorial misconduct and the BOT has acknowledged that the Freeh Report is a farce, it will be impossible to keep a lid on things any longer.

What is now needed is an in-depth investigation to learn what exactly happened. Since the state has shown that it is not up to the task of learning what brought upon the fiasco in the first place, it is incumbent on the federal government to get involved and determine what really happened.

Why else? Because lawyers are involved and when that happens there could be dozens of other explanations.

I’ve been thinking about this since last night. Like many on this board, I was not impressed with the Penn State statement. A settlement was announced, but the words were crafted in such a way as to not admit any wrongdoing. This may be a naive thought on my part, but, maybe, Penn State wanted to release a carefully worded statement to test the waters and gauge reaction. If not criticized, there could be a rolling out of more actions favorable to the Paterno family. I don’t think anybody at Penn State would have the backbone to make a bold statement and risk the wrath of the Social Media mob. Just a thought.

This is a bit off topic, but I hope someday the depositions and other details of the PMA lawsuit become public. If I remember correctly, PMA basically said they weren't going to pay due to (1) PSU failing to disclose alleged "knowledge of Sandusky's behavior" in it's renewal applications and (2) PSU paying settlements to claimants whose claims were not properly vetted and lacked credibility. Without this info, we'll never have a complete picture.

What the #*&@^ are people expecting.... or trying to construct out of this?

Penn State gave the Paternos a check (probably a pretty sizeable one - but who knows what goes on behind the curtain).... in exchange for them (Paternos) saying "Let's all be nice to these fine folks at PSU" (Including, presumably, giving those folks at PSU some of your money).

Seriously?

Being nice to the Paterno's is great, but does nothing for the reputation of the school which is permanently damaged. They need to go after everyone who piled on, namely:

1. The NCAA
2. The Big Ten

Get all money back, including lost bowl revenue. And a public apology. Start there.

Being nice to the Paterno's is great, but does nothing for the reputation of the school which is permanently damaged. They need to go after everyone who piled on, namely:

1. The NCAA
2. The Big Ten

Get all money back, including lost bowl revenue. And a public apology. Start there.

And take Ericson's name off the building. That still burns my ass.

Never thought I'd see this day

Dambly's language is too weasely -- "Many of those reports and statements, including the Freeh Report, contain opinions about individuals and matters that are not shared by the University" -- but for all intents and purposes, the BOT has disavowed the Freeh report

"...opinions about individuals and matters that are not shared by the University" is a watery but unambiguous repudiation of the Freeh Report's conclusions about Paterno and also, I think, Karen Peetz's statement that Paterno's service to Penn State was "marred."

"The University has made clear that Mr. Freeh's opinions about Joe were never endorsed by Penn State."

Except when they fired him, tore down his statue and refused to honor him in any way since. Sure. Okay. Got it.

(I know much of this happened prior to the Freeh report).

That's a real slap in Peetz's face because she said (July 2012) that the Board and/or Penn State accepted the Freeh Report's findings while adding that the clarity of the report that Paterno's service has been "marred."

Reactions: tgar and Sharkies
"...opinions about individuals and matters that are not shared by the University" is a watery but unambiguous repudiation of the Freeh Report's conclusions about Paterno and also, I think, Karen Peetz's statement that Paterno's service to Penn State was "marred."

But the report is the basis for sanctions, fines, scholarship losses, etc. If not shared by the university, why cave? Man those folks are idiots.

I am equally unimpressed by the University’s statement. However, I do not think it was crafted as a trial balloon. I think it was crafted simply to protect fragile egos.

When I try to imagine the Paterno’s POV, job one is some restoration of Joe’s reputation. To the extent it’s taken resources to get PSU to do it, some recompense is needed. But if I’m the BOT, our settlement is going to be some balance between the two: how much “mea culpa” vs how much money?

As the BOT statement was so vague, I conclude the BOT was more comfortable spending PSU money than they were admitting to any level of mistake.

I’ve been thinking about this since last night. Like many on this board, I was not impressed with the Penn State statement. A settlement was announced, but the words were crafted in such a way as to not admit any wrongdoing. This may be a naive thought on my part, but, maybe, Penn State wanted to release a carefully worded statement to test the waters and gauge reaction. If not criticized, there could be a rolling out of more actions favorable to the Paterno family. I don’t think anybody at Penn State would have the backbone to make a bold statement and risk the wrath of the Social Media mob. Just a thought.

Great post and echoes my thoughts. When the wife and children of the man whose character was destroyed are asking that we move on and support the university, who am I to tell them no, we should keep fighting the school to its detriment? I can't speak for Joe, but I would think he would want me to do what Sue asked.
Great post. One of the few rational posts on this thread.

I imagine that Sue wanted to get this done with rather than leaving her children and grandchildren to have to deal with it.

Sadly, in the end the bastards won- the narrative is set, the guilty went unpunished, and nothing is going to change that.

Reactions: OXLion
Nothing is going to change it, and no one is willing to dig to get to the real truth.

I imagine that Sue wanted to get this done with rather than leaving her children and grandchildren to have to deal with it.

Sadly, in the end the bastards won- the narrative is set, the guilty went unpunished, and nothing is going to change that.
We'll see! It'll be interesting to see how the university acts going forward. There's nothing holding them back from honoring Joe openly.

Since it was the BOT who created the narrative in the first place. And since it was the BOT who hired Louis Freeh to validate that narrative, I can see this development as a beginning.

We'll see! It'll be interesting to see how the university acts going forward. There's nothing holding them back from honoring Joe openly.

Since it was the BOT who created the narrative in the first place. And since it was the BOT who hired Louis Freeh to validate that narrative, I can see this development as a beginning.
They could have a parade for Joe and it would make no difference in what the Great Unwashed think about him or about us.

Reactions: OXLion and Bob78
I know what the press release mumbo-jumbo said.... I should have been more direct with my question:

So..... were there any remaining lawsuits or pending litigation, prior to this payment to the Paternos?

That was my question. None that I am aware of, but maybe someone knows differently.
I took it that PSU paying "some" (whatever that means) of the Paterno's expenses was related to legal fees- but the weasel words the lawyers used don't shed much light- and I doubt there will be more forthcoming.

Reactions: PSUfiji

1. The NCAA
2. The Big Ten

As you note, the damage is already permanent. Even if we got an apology from the NCAA or B1G, it wouldn’t change a thing for the folks who still spew hatred at Penn State. So we’re left fighting for a resolution that will never happen, and that wouldn’t change anything even if it did. So who are we hurting by refusing to listen to Sue here? Only ourselves.

As you note, the damage is already permanent. Even if we got an apology from the NCAA or B1G, it wouldn’t change a thing for the folks who still spew hatred at Penn State. So we’re left fighting for a resolution that will never happen, and that wouldn’t change anything even if it did. So who are we hurting by refusing to listen to Sue here? Only ourselves.

Getting the money back changes things. It’s tangible. It can be put to use (jury out on the ‘quality’ of use) for students, coaches, facilities, programs, etc. I’m happy for Sue, but as mentioned, she’s a better person than most. She also has different goals vis a vis Penn State.

I am glad that Sue is fine with PSU. That does not mean I am. The press releases were not adequate. Joe's reputation must be fully restored even if that means the BOT and others have to sing it every day for the next 20 years.

Reactions: indynittany
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT