ADVERTISEMENT

Board of Trustees and Paterno family statements

As far as public opinion is concerned, none of that matters. Magic Mike testified on more than one occasion that he told PSU (Curley and Schultz) that he saw Sandusky having sex with a boy. You can attempt to discredit that all you want. No one is paying attention. As far as public opinion goes, Mike saw Sandusky having sex with a kid and PSU is guilty of not doing anything/enough about it. Nothing will change that unless Mike comes out and says that he lied and told PSU a different story and that ain't hapenin.'

McQueary testified under oath in a deposition that he saw nothing reportable to the police.

I don't take your comments personally, I completely understand and appreciate your reasoning and position. I'm just of the opinion there isn't a realistic option whereby that $100M goes any further. I wish it were so, but I think we have the best we can hope for, sad as that may be.

I'm sorry, but subsidizing graft and inefficiency doesn't seem to be the best course of action. There are enumerable other places where your money can be put to better use.

McQueary testified under oath in a deposition that he saw nothing reportable to the police.

The shrinks have their own take on the situation.

In 2016, psychologist Julia Shaw published The Memory Illusion, a summary of her own and others’ work. “[My colleagues and] I have convinced people they have committed crimes that never occurred, suffered from a physical injury they never had, or were attacked by a dog when no such attack ever took place,” she wrote.

The Memory Hackers (2016), a Nova public television program, featured one of Shaw’s subjects recalling an illusory crime in three sessions. In that study, over 70 percent of her subjects developed false memories.

“What could have been turns into what would have been turns into what was,” the experimental psychologist explained. Her conclusion? “Any event, no matter how important, emotional or traumatic it may seem, can be…misremembered, or even be entirely fictitious…. All of us can come to confidently and vividly remember entire events that never actually took place.”

Experimental psychologist Frederic Bartlett made similar observations in his classic 1932 text, Remembering: A Study in Experimental and Social Psychology. Our memories, he noted, “live with our interests and with them they change.” We tend to incorporate details of what really happened, along with other inserted elements, perhaps from a movie we saw or a book we read, or a story someone else told us. This kind of “source amnesia” is amazingly common. In fact, many of us are sure something happened to us, when it was our sibling who actually experienced it.

That is how Mike McQueary’s memory of the infamous 2001 shower changed. The night of the shower, he said he had heard slapping sounds but had not seen anything incriminating. Ten years later, his retrospective bias led him to have questionable memories of seeing Sandusky moving his hips behind a boy in the shower. With rehearsal, his new memories were solidified, and he became quite confident in them. That phenomenon, called “the illusion of confidence” by The Invisible Gorilla authors, is not unusual, either.

There may have been other factors influencing McQueary's recollections of that infamous shower incident.

When he was first contacted by police, Mike McQueary, at that time a married man, apparently sent a “sexting” photo of his own penis to a female Penn State student in April 2010. He may have thought that was why the police wanted to talk to him, and why he didn’t want to meet with them in his home.

ESPN journalist Don Van Natta, Jr, initially intended to include this information in a feature article about McQueary, but it was cut from the published piece.

In 2017 McQueary, now divorced, texted another photo of his erect penis to a woman. Investigator John Ziegler obtained the text messages and photo and published them at framingpaterno.com.

WRT sentence "#2", I would disagree - and would, and maybe should, go into more detail.... but I just don't really feel like doing that right now.
But, yes, as per sentence "#3", to feel that way would be very, very sad. Fortunately (for me) I don't feel that way.

(WBC: I'm not sure how to send "messages" through this board...... that "private message" thing..... but if you know how to do that, send me a message - if you want to)

You have to be a paying member to send PMs.

Reactions: stormingnorm
She may be, but is there any scenario where we get a wholesale change in leadership? I think not, and therefore we can either get on board with the best we can with what we have, or abandon the school and leave it to be no better than any other state school.

Sounds good to me. I don't care if it's no better than any other state school. We're, at best, already there. Own the current leadership. Like it or not they are the face of the University. I'm not getting on board.

Reactions: stormingnorm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT