ADVERTISEMENT

Board of Trustees and Paterno family statements

hoping this helps with some of the old guard doners who have been sitting on the sideline. Penn State and Paterno's are now all moving forward together.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
So in short, PSU doesn't agree with the Freeh report, but they're sure as hell glad the Paterno camp isn't going to dig anymore into it.

When Sue has given up on clearing Joe's name and exposing what the university did to him, then the door can officially be closed on the truth.

Never thought I'd see this day

Dambly's language is too weasely -- "Many of those reports and statements, including the Freeh Report, contain opinions about individuals and matters that are not shared by the University" -- but for all intents and purposes, the BOT has disavowed the Freeh report

@lubrano
What say you here?

Not an overly strong statement wrt JVP by Dambly and BOT. Could have been more supportive of Joe and stronger in the disagreement with Freeh's opinions. I have to believe that the A7 report helped to force this statement to some degree.

Sue is Sue - she's a better person than I am by a light year or two.

Does not change my opinion of any of the bat rastards from the OGBOT+.

who said it: "an unseasoned dish". It is in reference to success without honor.

joe-paterno-penn-state-coach-knew-jerry-sandusky-was-abusing-kids-ftr.jpg

Never thought I'd see this day

Dambly's language is too weasely -- "Many of those reports and statements, including the Freeh Report, contain opinions about individuals and matters that are not shared by the University" -- but for all intents and purposes, the BOT has disavowed the Freeh report

Nope - that is not really a disavowing of The Freeh Report there. That's just lawyer speak.

Any real disavowing would be the restoration of the statue. And I wouldn't bet on that happening.

"The University has made clear that Mr. Freeh's opinions about Joe were never endorsed by Penn State."

Except when they fired him, tore down his statue and refused to honor him in any way since. Sure. Okay. Got it.

(I know much of this happened prior to the Freeh report).

So, if "The University has made clear that Mr. Freeh's opinions about Joe were never endorsed by Penn State." then there should be no reason not to be honoring Joe.

So, my follow up question is "when is the school going to honor Joe Paterno's huge contributions to the university?" It doesn't have to be the statue per se, but naming the stadium, curtain road, whatever.

And generally defending him to the press would be a nice thing too.

"The University has made clear that Mr. Freeh's opinions about Joe were never endorsed by Penn State."

Except when they fired him, tore down his statue and refused to honor him in any way since. Sure. Okay. Got it.

(I know much of this happened prior to the Freeh report).
And caved to the NCAA who had no business getting involved in the matter. Too late for me.

Sue Paterno is an amazing woman. Her lifelong efforts, alongside Joe Paterno, have made this University and the State College community stronger and better than it could have ever achieved. As Bob78 said, she is light years better than I will ever be. I owe a debt of gratitude to her and Joe for everything they have done directly for Penn State, and indirectly for me.

As I sit at my desk this Friday afternoon, and for the first time that I can think of, I wholeheartedly disagree with the approach the Paterno family is taking with this - and I understand that there are reasons for this that I will never be, nor should be, privy to.

Sue Paterno and the Paterno family may have agreed to a resolution, but that does not mean I have. The resolution does not begin the steps to restoring the good name of Joe Paterno, it does nothing to hold accountable those who chose to drag his name through the mud and create a negative perception of him, the University and the football program. The negative perception created so a small group of cowards can protect themselves instead of holding themselves accountable as leaders should do.

I will continue to hate the OG Bot, the NCAA. Mark Emmert, Louis Freeh, and others involved with this fiasco. Irrespective of the resolution the Paterno family has agreed to.

Last edited:
Oh by the way the AD is still paying for the fine money that PSU made them pay after sanctions were lifted...sanctions that stemmed from the Freeh report that the university doesn't agree with.

Didn't agree with it, but re-named a building after the spineless mo-ron who signed the consent decree, thx to Freeh's opinion. $60mm unwell spent.

Actions from here on will be the key for me. Are the powers that be gonna still be afraid to mention Joe's name or show his image at games for more than a fleeting moment here and there? Make the statement, good graces with the Paternos, and back it up with some positive steps that makes post-2011 generations want to know more about the man and his incredibly positive impact on PSU.

I wonder where that shows up in the ICA financial statements?

(Spoiler: It doesn't :) What's that tell ya'?)

I wouldn't expect it to. But $16 million debt service when there's really nothing recent that would require that much debt service tells me plenty.

Sue Paterno is an amazing woman. Her lifelong efforts, alongside Joe Paterno, have made this University and the State College community stronger and better than it could have ever achieved. As Bob78 said, she is light years better than I will ever be. I owe a debt of gratitude to her and Joe for everything they have done directly for Penn State, and indirectly for me.

As I sit at my desk this Friday afternoon, and for the first time that I can think of, I wholeheartedly disagree with the approach the Paterno family is taking with this - and I understand that there are reasons for this that I will never be, nor should be, privy to.

Sue Paterno and the Paterno family may have agreed to a resolution, but that does not mean I have. The resolution does not begin the steps to restoring the good name of Joe Paterno, it does nothing to hold accountable those who chose to drag his name through the mud and create a negative perception of him, the University and the football program. The negative perception created so a small group of cowards can protect themselves instead of holding themselves accountable as leaders should do.

I will continue to hate the OG Bot, the NCAA. Mark Emmert, Louis Freeh, and others involved with this fiasco. Irrespective of the resolution the Paterno family have agreed to.

A terrific statement, Ro. Thank you.

Nope- too little too late. With all respect to Sue, I'm never writing another check to PSU.

You're in good company. Spoke with my brother who might be considered one of those "old guard donors." He's happy that the Paterno family, and Sue in particular, have achieved some measure of closure and peace. But for him, this episode was about more than the way Joe was treated. That PSU not only caved in on everything, but actively aided in the destruction of its reputation infuriated him. But he still loved the school, so rather than fully cut it off, he reduced his financial commitment. The final straw, though, was when he discovered how PSU subjected the claims of alleged victims to no vetting and simply wrote checks that were entirely out of proportion to what victims in other cases received.

He laughed and said that the clock has started to countdown for some schmuck in the Development Office to call him. He can't wait!

"Resolution of Issues"?
What F-ing issues? There were no "issues" resolved.

What happened?
The Scoundrels wrote the Paternos a check.... so that they (the Scoundrels) can put out a fluff PR piece, and hopefully have some folks start writing them checks again.

Hell, if they weren't complete morons, they (the Scoundrels) woulda' done this a long time ago (I was - and remain - very surprised that they didn't do that years ago).....
And if they are not still complete morons, they will follow up by trotting out some JoePa memoriam of some sort (Statue or no).

Hell, it would probably work.

I will continue to hate the OG Bot, the NCAA. Mark Emmert, Louis Freeh, and others involved with this fiasco. Irrespective of the resolution the Paterno family have agreed to.
Totally agree with this Ro. Very well stated. Ro's post deserves to be pinned as I think it captures the thoughts of a huge majority on this board and of the PSU alumni base.

I wouldn't expect it to. But $16 million debt service when there's really nothing recent that would require that much debt service tells me plenty.

Two possibilities:

1. large chunk of it could be repayment to the University of the "loan" for the Sandusky fine;

2. there is often a timing mismatch between expenditures for facilities improvement and the receipt of cash from donor pledges for those purposes. ICA borrows when it needs to pay contractors/vendors, then pays the loans off when the money is received from donors.

The AD needs more money for when Barron steals AD money (again) to pay for his boondoggle museum

You’re close. barren realized it would cost much more than the $80 million to fulfill his museum dream, so he needs the Paternos on board.

Reactions: marshall23
ADVERTISEMENT