ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten re-vote expected Tuesday, September 8th.

Simple solution: bye-bye Huskers.

If it's that "simple", then it could be "bye bye" Penn State and a lot of other teams. Not good going into our next television negotiations. We are giving the Networks a LOT of bargaining ammo.

From the above link:

The Big Ten subcommittee, which is comprised of medical experts and athletic directors, will show eight of the 14 presidents and chancellors at least four rapid response antigen tests now on the market that could allow teams to test daily and significantly decrease the amount of necessary contact tracing.

"It's light years different than it was five weeks ago," one conference source said...

"When I think I have an answer, the next day, there's a whole different discussion," a second Big Ten source said. "That's why it's been so hard, and everyone's so frustrated. You've got 14 guys, and everyone wants what's best for them. That's where you need someone to stand up and say, 'No, this is what we're going to do.'"

If the presidents and chancellors give the green light to return to play, the earliest realistic scenario is still at least a month away, the first source said, which would mean mid-to-late October. It would still depend on how quickly the presidents and chancellors approve the return, along with which test the conference chooses, and how quickly it can have the supplies.

On a side note Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has just signed an executive order that for all organized sports in the state of Michigan; that the student-athletes must alll wear a face mask?! Swimming is said to be excluded. She must be crazy. You can't play sports such as football, soccer, field hockey, cross country and others with a face mask on. This is insane.

A high school classmate of mine is a doctor in Michigan and he was so surprised when she finally backtracked and allowed Athletics couple weeks ago. They've been showing her data for months and she still wouldn't open anything up.

A high school classmate of mine is a doctor in Michigan and he was so surprised when she finally backtracked and allowed Athletics couple weeks ago. They've been showing her data for months and she still wouldn't open anything up.
Life long bureaucrat...I am amazed that people actually listen to this hypocritical no-nothing!

Reactions: JustinTyme
From the above link:

The Big Ten subcommittee, which is comprised of medical experts and athletic directors, will show eight of the 14 presidents and chancellors at least four rapid response antigen tests now on the market that could allow teams to test daily and significantly decrease the amount of necessary contact tracing.

"It's light years different than it was five weeks ago," one conference source said...

"When I think I have an answer, the next day, there's a whole different discussion," a second Big Ten source said. "That's why it's been so hard, and everyone's so frustrated. You've got 14 guys, and everyone wants what's best for them. That's where you need someone to stand up and say, 'No, this is what we're going to do.'"

If the presidents and chancellors give the green light to return to play, the earliest realistic scenario is still at least a month away, the first source said, which would mean mid-to-late October. It would still depend on how quickly the presidents and chancellors approve the return, along with which test the conference chooses, and how quickly it can have the supplies.

Maybe I’m missing something but they are going to show 8 of the 14 presidents the antigen tests? Where are the other 6 who apparently can’t be bothered to zoom in for this?

Last edited:
Maybe I’m missing something but they are going to show 8 of the 14 presidents the antigen tests? Where are the other 6 who apparently can’t be bothered to zoom in for this?
The return committee has 8 of the presidents on it. If the committee comes up with something they think is viable they will vote to show it to all 14 presidents for feedback and potential vote by all 14.

It is good that the return committee is meeting tomorrow/Saturday rather than waiting until Monday or sometime next week as it is a two step process that can be sent back to step one multiple times.

Reactions: psu00
Maybe it's just the 8 teams that opted into playing.

So you’re saying there was a vote today? ;)

If I’m a president who opted out, I’d still want to hear and learn about this to see how it could be helpful to the wider university community.

The return committee has 8 of the presidents on it. If the committee comes up with something they think is viable they will vote to show it to all 14 presidents for feedback and potential vote by all 14.

It is good that the return committee is meeting tomorrow/Saturday rather than waiting until Monday or sometime next week as it is a two step process that can be sent back to step one multiple times.

That explains the discrepancy. Thanks Ned.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Sad when we have to look at Notre Dame as a voice of reason.
Jack Swarbrick, the AD at ND
Through last week, the 1,366 Covid-19 tests involving members of our football team produced 12 positive results. This data across 3 months has reinforced our confidence that we can help keep our student athletes safe with frequent testing, masks, and carefully structured approaches to physical spaces, workouts, and practices.
Our experience also appears to be at odds with the assumption that football is especially risky for transmitting the virus. Our 12 positive tests occurred during 7 different rounds of testing over 2 months, yet none of these positive cases produced even a small cluster of cases among the team. Further, our experience suggests that the structure and discipline of being "in season" can have a positive impact, and perhaps make student athletes more cautious about their behavior. Our fall sport have significantly lower numbers of positive tests than our spring sports.

She’s the biggest joke in the history of politics.

Reactions: JustinTyme
Sad when we have to look at Notre Dame as a voice of reason.
Jack Swarbrick, the AD at ND
Through last week, the 1,366 Covid-19 tests involving members of our football team produced 12 positive results. This data across 3 months has reinforced our confidence that we can help keep our student athletes safe with frequent testing, masks, and carefully structured approaches to physical spaces, workouts, and practices.
Our experience also appears to be at odds with the assumption that football is especially risky for transmitting the virus. Our 12 positive tests occurred during 7 different rounds of testing over 2 months, yet none of these positive cases produced even a small cluster of cases among the team. Further, our experience suggests that the structure and discipline of being "in season" can have a positive impact, and perhaps make student athletes more cautious about their behavior. Our fall sport have significantly lower numbers of positive tests than our spring sports.
Here comes TheGLOV, here comes TheGLOV, that or any type, of favorable Notre Dame posting shall not stand unchallenged. I also hate those rubes from South Bend, but if true this really makes BIG leadership look like morons.

I disagree. I know this would never happen. But technically the B1G COULD grant a 1-year "waiver" to the 8 schools who want to play. The B1G is the conference and they can technically do anything they WANT to do. If MSU, UM, Rutgers, UMD, IL and NW do not want to play.... then fine, they do not have to play. If Penn St, OSU, IU, Purdue, MN, Wiscy, Iowa & nebraska want to play... then the B1G can grant them a 1-year waiver to be "independents". The B1G can get out of all liability. Bascially draw up a quick contract stating that from Sept. 2020 thru Feb. 2021 those 8 schools are free to play as NON-B1G teams and the B1G holds no liability on their play.... they are bascially free & clear to play under their own individual guidance and liability. .... Again... the B1G WON'T do this.... But the B1G COULD do this.

Under that scenario. 8 is not a bad number. It actually works out pretty easily. With 8, you could create a 10-game schedule. Ironically you have a 4/4 split between East & West teams. The teams from the East and West could do home & homes. For example, Penn State would get Ohio State, Purdue and Indiana home & home. That would give us 6 games. Then you play each team from the West side 1 game. With 4, it's easy to get 2H/2A. That brings you to a 10 game schedule pretty easily & fairly. The B1G has no input, B1G logos are taken off all fields and all uniforms. And the 8 teams are 100% responsible for themselves.

Again. This will NOT happen. But technically, the B1G has 8 schools who want to play. Technically, the B1G could say to those schools "fine, if you want to play and you feel safe, and you feel you can do it on your own, then we'll grant you a 6 month exemption to play outside of the control of the conference until Feb 2021".
Common sense idea but that seems to be lacking at this time. B1G is probably being driven by lawyers advise coupled with media overemphasis on positive tests.

Common sense idea but that seems to be lacking at this time. B1G is probably being driven by lawyers advise coupled with media overemphasis on positive tests.

Agree. But if they WANTED it to be done it could be done. ANYTHING "could" be done as long as all the parties are amicable to a solution. Take for example ND going into the ACC this season. One of the stumbling blocks with that arrangement was the TV deals. ND had their exclusive TV deal with NBC and the ACC had thier own TV deals. But ND really wanted to play football, and the ACC really wanted ND to join them for the year. So ND agreed to take all of their NBC TV revenue for 1 season and split it evenly among all the ACC schools. Was that the best deal for ND??? No, probably not. But they wanted to play and they made arrangements and compromises.

IMO, the "want to play 8", should go to the "don't want to play 6" and say "Look, if you do not want to play this season fine. You can opt out and we will still grant you full shares of our TV deals. We want to play. We will play, and we will keep all 6 of you grandfathered into receiving your full shares of any TV revenue earned this season" ............. The 6 that do not want to play can simply "opt out" and they still receive big fat TV checks.

Is that ideal or fair???? No, probably not. But as ND showed, sometimes you just have to be willing to give. Instead of ND getting ALL of the $$$ from NBC, they only get 1/15th of TV $$$ from NBC.... But ND wanted to play football and this allowed it to happen.

Would it suck to see Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, NW... receiving the same share of B1G TV revenue as Ohio State or Penn State this year..... Yes, it would blow big time. But, if we want to play maybe some compromises can make it happen.

The return committee has 8 of the presidents on it. If the committee comes up with something they think is viable they will vote...
Do we know if this is an actual vote, and if so, what constitutes approval for the next step? NW, Rutgers, Illinois, and MSU presidents are 4 of the 8.

Agree. But if they WANTED it to be done it could be done. ANYTHING "could" be done as long as all the parties are amicable to a solution. Take for example ND going into the ACC this season. One of the stumbling blocks with that arrangement was the TV deals. ND had their exclusive TV deal with NBC and the ACC had thier own TV deals. But ND really wanted to play football, and the ACC really wanted ND to join them for the year. So ND agreed to take all of their NBC TV revenue for 1 season and split it evenly among all the ACC schools. Was that the best deal for ND??? No, probably not. But they wanted to play and they made arrangements and compromises.

IMO, the "want to play 8", should go to the "don't want to play 6" and say "Look, if you do not want to play this season fine. You can opt out and we will still grant you full shares of our TV deals. We want to play. We will play, and we will keep all 6 of you grandfathered into receiving your full shares of any TV revenue earned this season" ............. The 6 that do not want to play can simply "opt out" and they still receive big fat TV checks.

Is that ideal or fair???? No, probably not. But as ND showed, sometimes you just have to be willing to give. Instead of ND getting ALL of the $$$ from NBC, they only get 1/15th of TV $$$ from NBC.... But ND wanted to play football and this allowed it to happen.

Would it suck to see Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, NW... receiving the same share of B1G TV revenue as Ohio State or Penn State this year..... Yes, it would blow big time. But, if we want to play maybe some compromises can make it happen.
I'd only give them half shares.

No. It isn't. The point is that if there are concerns about heart issues, clearly an athlete would be more susceptible problems from those issues. And further, since it is a school sanctioned activity, they would be on the hook. Listen, I would love if there was football, but you guys seem completely blind to any side that isn't your own. It is really quite sad to see grown men so angry they can't watch teenagers play a game.
Yep. Only BIG football players have risk with Covid heart issues. The various midget, middle school, HS, and other college football players are all free from risk. Their parents, including the BIG commish, must hate them. Got it.

ND will also be receiving a full share of the ACC payout versus the partial share they got in previous years. Essentially everyone is putting all their football revenue in the pot any sharing. Since ND pulled in less in $ that the annual ACC payout, they likely stand to benefit slightly while the other ACC teams will get a little less. However, the ACC May stand to benefit in the long run should this tip ND to joining the conference for football down the road.

The point is that if there are concerns about heart issues, clearly an athlete would be more susceptible problems from those issues.
Not true at all. Myocarditis can be caused by the common cold or other types of flu. Just be extra cautious with players and give them all of the high end tests, including MRIs.

Yep. Only BIG football players have risk with Covid heart issues. The various midget, middle school, HS, and other college football players are all free from risk. Their parents, including the BIG commish, must hate them. Got it.

who said that was the case?

If the BIG made the determination that they worry about them that I their right. Every organization can come to a different conclusion. That is up to them.

to be clear, I would love for their to be a season but that rational makes little sense to me.

who said that was the case?

If the BIG made the determination that they worry about them that I their right. Every organization can come to a different conclusion. That is up to them.

to be clear, I would love for their to be a season but that rational makes little sense to me.
So by every organization coming to a different conclusion, why not let each team decide to do what is best for themselves? School is in session...why isn’t that forbidden? Big10=Big Brother

Reactions: NedFromYork
So by every organization coming to a different conclusion, why not let each team decide to do what is best for themselves? School is in session...why isn’t that forbidden? Big10=Big Brother

Because the athletic departments of the schools are contractually tied to the Big Ten. Could the conference suspend that arrangement for a year? Yes. But I really don't think the schools want to go it alone. Too problematical.

Because the athletic departments of the schools are contractually tied to the Big Ten. Could the conference suspend that arrangement for a year? Yes. But I really don't think the schools want to go it alone. Too problematical.
Problematical for whom? Why not allow schools to do it for one year if they wish?

Problematical for whom? Why not allow schools to do it for one year if they wish?

Where to begin? Let's start with scheduling, each school cutting it's own media deal, and the networks that don't like the outcome suing.

I know of at least two that would try anyway if given the OK. Or, if the Big Ten officially cancelled the season for this academic year within the next couple of days.

I know of at least two that would try anyway if given the OK. Or, if the Big Ten officially cancelled the season for this academic year within the next couple of days.

Then you know of two athletic directors who are morons. Surprised it' so limited.

Where to begin? Let's start with scheduling, each school cutting it's own media deal, and the networks that don't like the outcome suing.
So instead we have players and parents suing the conference. Put together a legal doc that absolves the Big10 if a school goes at it alone for a year. Let the schools decide for themselves. I realize that it is too late for any of this now, but boy did they $hit the bed on this.

Kevin Warren is the next coming of Joe Biden, am I really the commissioner of big football? Let’s have a vote next Tuesday, oh wait how about Thursday. Oh the hell with it next year

Reactions: richie83
So instead we have players and parents suing the conference. Put together a legal doc that absolves the Big10 if a school goes at it alone for a year. Let the schools decide for themselves. I realize that it is too late for any of this now, but boy did they $hit the bed on this.

Let them sue the conference. At most they wind up with pocket change after the lawyers take their cut, and a moral victory.

So the schools go on their own. PSU and OSU agree to play. Who gets the home game? It matters because the school with the home game has the media rights and the value. And all of this bi-laterl bickering gets done in how much time? And then, when that dust settles, the network that winds up on the short-end of the schedule relative to the current Big Ten deal sues everyone. And you're worried about a bunch of little shits and their lawsuit in a Nebraska county court?

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Let them sue the conference. At most they wind up with pocket change after the lawyers take their cut, and a moral victory.

So the schools go on their own. PSU and OSU agree to play. Who gets the home game? It matters because the school with the home game has the media rights and the value. And all of this bi-laterl bickering gets done in how much time? And then, when that dust settles, the network that winds up on the short-end of the schedule relative to the current Big Ten deal sues everyone. And you're worried about a bunch of little shits and their lawsuit in a Nebraska county court?
“And you're worried about a bunch of little shits and their lawsuit in a Nebraska county court?”

No. I’m worried about our players, parents, fans, students, community, businesses, and future competitiveness of our program. Other than that, I guess all is fine.

“And you're worried about a bunch of little shits and their lawsuit in a Nebraska county court?”

No. I’m worried about our players, parents, fans, students, community, businesses, and future competitiveness of our program. Other than that, I guess all is fine.

Are you worried about the potential of Covid 19 decimating the program?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT