ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten re-vote expected Tuesday, September 8th.

Here's the interpretation of 247Sports of DeWine's comments: During his press briefing on Tuesday, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine said that he spoke to Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith earlier in the day and Smith believes a Big Ten football season in 2020 is still “in play.”

The only way to have anything that could accurately be called a "season" in 2020 would be to start play in October.

Furthermore, DeWine says it would not be appropriate to quote Smith directly, so who knows. But I think an October start is definitely on the table.

I think after the ACC to include Notre Dame plays its games on schedule this weekend, assuming nobody drops dead on the field, the pressure will become intolerable for the B1G.

Despite the front they're maintaining, these guys realize that their decision to cancel the season is an unfolding and boomeranging disaster on various levels.

I think they will announce an October start next week but would not put money on that prediction. ;)

Reporter: “Are you hearing anything about the possibility of a chance of a season beginning in October, and did the Big Ten make the right call in their vote?”

DeWine: “Well, I don’t know whether they made the right call or not, but I think there certainly is a decent chance of there being a season in football for the Big Ten for Ohio State, which is what we’re really concerned about. I talked to Gene Smith this morning about that issue. I’m not going to disclose our conversation other than I inquired about it. He told me it was still in play, still very much a possibility, but as you know, it’s not a secret that Dr. Johnson’s position, Ohio State’s position was to play. I concur in that.” (emphasis mine)

That could be interpreted in the way 247 speculates, I guess, but I think it sounds like politician-speak – very vague, nothing to pin him down with ("being a season").

We’ll see. I'd love to see PSU football sometime in the not-too-distant future. Today's testing news was not a step in the right direction, though

Reactions: Jerry
Are you referring to the press conference he held yesterday? If so, he definitely did not say that. Was there anything more recent?
Sorry I didn't get back to you. I was busy with other things today. Another poster set forth Dewine's statement above.

Dumpster fire about ready to get really hot. Really all B1G schools could/should do this. I bet the B1G would vote for an October 10th. start date pronto.
Since Yost represents OSU, it is easy way to bypass FOIA and get discovery if he sues. Something that is both the right thing to do and politically popular. Be great to strip away Warren's secrecy.

Reactions: ParkAvenueSoccer
Yes, that was me, showing that he didn't say the words you claimed he did.
"Still in play" and "decent possibility" are close enough for me. Maybe not to you. I would note that I didn't use quotation marks in my original post. Was simply making a quick comment. Whatever.

"Still in play" and "decent possibility" are close enough for me. Maybe not to you. I would note that I didn't use quotation marks in my original post. Was simply making a quick comment. Whatever.
Fair enough. And I agree with you that this is completely a matter of reading tea leaves - not any actual declarative statements. That's why there are over 250 comments on a thread like this.

USPS confirmed the votes are in the mail and will be delivered to Rosemont by 11/3/20.

Getting them counted, well, that’s a totally different issue.

Reactions: JustinTyme
USPS confirmed the votes are in the mail and will be delivered to Rosemont by 11/3/20.

Getting them counted, well, that’s a totally different issue.
Yeah actually counting the votes could be problematic. They might have to use the Jethro Beaudine model of taking off their shoes. Whether you liked Jim Delany or not...the question begs to be asked: Would all of this dumpster fire of a mess happened if Delany were still B1G commissioner? I was glad to see him go; but now.....

The B1G conference is now known as the Laughingstock of NCAA Football League.

ESPN SportsCenter teasing new B1G info right now - after the commercial. Hinting at play next month....(FWIW).

Heather Dinich says vote could come as early as next week - chancellors/presidents want to hear that either a) myocarditis risk is overblown or can be mitigated, and b) conference wide testing protocol in place. Day thinks they could be ready by mid October.

Heather Dinich says vote could come as early as next week - chancellors/presidents want to hear that either a) myocarditis risk is overblown or can be mitigated, and b) conference wide testing protocol in place. Day thinks they could be ready by mid October.
Does myocarditis only strike football players in rust belt? What buffoons!

So they want a second opinion?

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
SIAP: Rutgers President is not 👏 having 👏 it.

Excerpt:

“Our players want to know: Why can’t they play?” Ohio State coach Ryan Day asked in a statement on Thursday afternoon, pointing out that Notre Dame, Clemson and other national powers are taking the field this weekend.

Holloway, meanwhile, want to turn the tables: Why are they playing? He knows that the Big Ten will face increased pressure if conferences like the SEC, the ACC and the Big 12 manage to successfully navigate a season with COVID-19 cases rises on college campuses around the country. He doesn’t care -- and he doesn’t think they will.

“If I’m wrong because I was erring on the side of safety, I don’t have a problem with that,” Holloway said. “I don’t think I’m wrong, though. I just don’t think it. And if I had to put money down, we’re going to see some radical changes within a month -- no later than October. I’m really worried about what we’re heading toward, on just college campuses in general, not just sports. It’s deeply concerning.”

Day seems to think the B1G medical folks have a plan for fall ball.

There is nothing new under the sun since the last decision. Either the risks can be controlled or there is concern over the unknown. At the level where the presidents decide it's that simple.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
ESPN SportsCenter teasing new B1G info right now - after the commercial. Hinting at play next month....(FWIW).
[/QUOTE]

MD is getting some rapid COVID test kits that are incredibly accurate and you get the results back in 15 minutes.
Its not cheap but maybe this could sway the opinions?

No idea about the validity of the following guy’s occupation, but if what he posted comprises all the Big Ten rules about needing a 60% majority of a vote, could it be possible only a majority (8) teams are needed to allow for a season that aligns more closely with the other P5 conferences?

Reactions: NedFromYork

MD is getting some rapid COVID test kits that are incredibly accurate and you get the results back in 15 minutes.
Its not cheap but maybe this could sway the opinions?

[/QUOTE]

PAC 12 contracted for something similar last week or the week before.

Reactions: BBrown
except for Nebraska. They should be kicked out if they join the others

You’re upset that Nebraska was picked on by the Midwest mafia who consider you an outsider and unworthy to be in their elite presence? Welcome to our world the past 25 or so years.

Desmond Howard is an idiot. He’s gone after Penn St too. Don’t get upset at his rants. He generally has no logic or consistency. You won’t hear him go after Ohio St despite them basically saying the same thing that had him ranting at the Huskers.

Whatever he says, the opposite is usually true. So, when he’s insulting Nebraska you know your on the right side of that issue. ;)

On a side note Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has just signed an executive order that for all organized sports in the state of Michigan; that the student-athletes must alll wear a face mask?! Swimming is said to be excluded. She must be crazy. You can't play sports such as football, soccer, field hockey, cross country and others with a face mask on. This is insane.

Reactions: dailybuck777
On a side note Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has just signed an executive order that for all organized sports in the state of Michigan; that the student-athletes must alll wear a face mask?! Swimming is said to be excluded. She must be crazy. You can't play sports such as football, soccer, field hockey, cross country and others with a face mask on. This is insane.

She is a complete nut.

Last edited:

you can and these sports are being played with masks
not that I agree with her order but it is happening

people do realize when the weather gets cold these guys usually all have some kind of face covering right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT