ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten admits they blew Targeting Call

Well, at the very least, Brandon Smith is owed an apology by the refs who tossed him out of the game for undue cause! How many times do these refs have to be embarrassed for not just admitting they are biased against Penn State? We are big boys, we have learned how to get over dishonesty by now? We know this is the B1G!

He will get a fruit basket from Delaney.

Yep. Happened shortly after the call. I posted on the game thread that by Wednesday there would be an apology. They had no choice. As you said, not just Perreira, many others nationally called them out on it.

The language of the Targeting Rule itself plainly states that what Smith did is NOT TARGETING in multiple places of the verbiage of the rule - not only does it say that it is not a Targeting Penalty, but explicitly states that it is not a penalty of any kind (i.e., incidental contact while focusing exclusively on, and legally playing, the ball). The receiver brought their head into Smith more than anything else - Smith was clearly exclusively playing the ball and had no idea the receiver was bringing his head forward. It was an absurd penalty even as the Targeting Rule is plainly written and clearly states (for pete's sake, the opening line defining "targeting" says that "targeting means that a player TAKES AIM at an opponent...." - Smith never remotely "took aim at an opponent" and was clearly completely focused on the ball and "taking aim" at intercepting it!).

If money means more to you than respect, then Penn State doesn't need fans like you.
Tobacco Road refs would be just as bad towards a northern school. So, I'd rather take the money, all other things being equal.

Tobacco Road refs would be just as bad towards a northern school. So, I'd rather take the money, all other things being equal.

There is no way in hell that is true. I can, right now, off the top of my head, come up with more than 20 clear cut football games, in the past 23 years, that we have either been outright robbed of the game, or screwed over, CLEARLY during the game. That's not including basketball, which has about half that many examples.

Reactions: Option Bob
How much coin would posters be willing to lay down, that if the roles were reversed and it was a PSU wide-out trying to catch a pass and an OSU or Mich linebacker hit him there would have been no call at all!

Reactions: StinkStankStunk
What might have been as bad, was how Franklin went quietly, after about a half minute of mild argument.

What might have been as bad, was how Franklin went quietly, after about a half minute of mild argument.
And what would you prefer he do? Go ballistic on the official and get thrown out of the game?

If you want to argue that the B1G officials are out to get us, then you must concede they'd love to have an excuse to throw the head coach out of the game. It's not like we have Joe and his gravitas to get away with it.

And what would you prefer he do? Go ballistic on the official and get thrown out of the game?

If you want to argue that the B1G officials are out to get us, then you must concede they'd love to have an excuse to throw the head coach out of the game. It's not like we have Joe and his gravitas to get away with it.

Yes. The answer is yes: I would have preferred he go ballistic on the official and get thrown out of the game.

Damn right.

Reactions: green2623
Yep. Happened shortly after the call. I posted on the game thread that by Wednesday there would be an apology. They had no choice. As you said, not just Perreira, many others nationally called them out on it.

I read the entire post and didn't see an apology. The Big stated it should have been overturned but I didn't see where they apologized for it. Maybe I missed it.

I read the entire post and didn't see an apology. The Big stated it should have been overturned but I didn't see where they apologized for it. Maybe I missed it.

Retraction, apology, whatever. They issued a release stating the call was wrong. They should have issued an apology too.

Maybe they made one to Barbour or Franklin but said they weren't allowed to tell anybody about it or the death penalty would be back on the table.

"You are lucky to be out here playing"

-Big Ten referee John O'Neill, to PSU quarterback Matt McGloin at Nebraska--

The B1G is a joke. What about accountability? OBTW, there was no penalty either!

There is no way in hell that is true. I can, right now, off the top of my head, come up with more than 20 clear cut football games, in the past 23 years, that we have either been outright robbed of the game, or screwed over, CLEARLY during the game. That's not including basketball, which has about half that many examples.

Tons of wrestling matches as well.....

I'll say it again.. The NCAA needs to take all referring away from the conferences and they become NCAA Officials - then hold them accountable for the wrong calls and non-calls.

Dan Honig led the pack in the B1G. Remember Gummy Carr getting 2 seconds added at the PSU 11 after the game was over? Before that, scUM completed a pass to Mario Mattingham who caught it 5 yards out of bounds only to have it ruled complete. And before that, PSU's GW drive was ended when Terrell Golden was ruled to have dropped a 1st down pass (he didn't). 4 officials in that game lived in Michigan. There was exactly ONE B1G football official from PA.

dbd39-avant.jpg

onside.jpeg

4texx.gif

evc_20141025_Ohio_State_vs_Penn_State_200153.jpg

bangbang_medium.gif

Last edited:

How about the t-5 second FG kick by tO$U in the same 2014 game (or the ghost "leaping" call on Hull in OT to give tO$U a "half-the-distance to the goal" - i.e., 12.5 yards, to start their 2nd OT possession from the PSU 12.5 yard line) or.......ad naseum, you could go on for days.....

How much coin would posters be willing to lay down, that if the roles were reversed and it was a PSU wide-out trying to catch a pass and an OSU or Mich linebacker hit him there would have been no call at all!
There is no way - NO WAY - that call stands if the uniforms were reversed

I'd bet my life savings on it (all $47 :) )

There is no way - NO WAY - that call stands if the uniforms were reversed

I'd bet my life savings on it (all $47 :) )

I agree with the OP, no "reversal" would have been required because the chances that a flag would have been thrown at the time of the play given the circumstances he describes is a limit equation approaching zero.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT