ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten admits they blew Targeting Call

They couldn't use the "Replay video unavailable" excuse again, so they went with the Urkel "Oops, did I do that?" defense. Looking forward to the next one, which will feature the Bart Simpson "I didn't do it" strategy.

Weird stuff happens with officiating pretty much every time PSU plays Michigan and Ohio State.

We all know what's behind it. It's obviously anti-PSU because the weird stuff always, invariably, hurts PSU in these games. Best example I can think of was that bizarre call on the Ohio State punt a couple of years ago where the PSU nose tackle was called for an illegal block on the Ohio State center who actually cut the PSU players legs out from under him. I've watched football since the 60s and I had never seen that called, and I doubt I will ever see it called again. That was the same game where, later in the game, near the goal line, Ohio State did some of the most flagrant illegal blocking I've ever seen -- could have had 3 or 4 different blocks flagged, and of course there was no flag.

But it's a mystery to me why the B1G officials bother to do this even when PSU is getting blown out as was the case Saturday. You'd think if anything they would say, PSU is losing big so we can give them a few cheap flags so we can claim to be fair. But they never do that.

What is the point of throwing PSU's starting linebacker out of the game on an obviously wrong call that everybody can see is wrong?

It's almost like it's not enough that Michigan wins the game. It's almost like the Big Ten officiating crew wants it KNOWN how much they helped, whether Michigan actually needed the help or not. Like they're a part of the Michigan team and they want to show how committed they are?

Like, starting the game with a flag on the KO return followed by a flag on the first play from scrimmage. That wasn't really about the rules at all, that was about sending a message to Penn State about where they were playing and who was in charge of the game. That was another "you're lucky to be playing football" moment.

Anyone know the name of the replay official?

Well, at the very least, Brandon Smith is owed an apology by the refs who tossed him out of the game for undue cause! How many times do these refs have to be embarrassed for not just admitting they are biased against Penn State? We are big boys, we have learned how to get over dishonesty by now? We know this is the B1G!

Anyway, seems to me the Big Ten rules are still basically the same as 1992 -- they love having PSU in the conference, they make a lot of money having PSU in the conference, but they have no desire for PSU to be a contender in any way. PSU is allowed to be 3rd or fourth place in its division ahead of the other teams they brought in for PSU to beat -- Rutgers and Maryland.

Fortunately it had no effect on the final outcome but that's the kind of incompetence which usually shows itself at a crucial point in the game. Two seconds added to the clock?? Sure thing. An extra three seconds to kick a field goal?? Yep. A completed bounce pass to the TE?? No problem. No available video review for a pass which obviously wasn't intercepted?? Review?? What review??

I'll give the on-field zebras some slack on that play since in real time it wasn't an easy call. It's a joke the replay review didn't overturn the penalty though. Is it just the B1G officials who are incompetent or are they like that everywhere?? And what are the odds of the replay official being reprimanded in any way??

Anyway, seems to me the Big Ten rules are still basically the same as 1992 -- they love having PSU in the conference, they make a lot of money having PSU in the conference, but they have no desire for PSU to be a contender in any way. PSU is allowed to be 3rd or fourth place in its division ahead of the other teams they brought in for PSU to beat -- Rutgers and Maryland.

They gave us wrestling and chick volleyball when they sliced up the pie.

The appropriate remedy should be for us to play with 12 over the number of minutes he sat out during next years Michigan game. tic

Reactions: FHSPSU67
What a bunch of whiners.
Same old story.
You know every P5 team can come up with a similar "history" of screw jobs by the refs.
Even OSU and UM. In fact, after PSU, UM fans are the next biggest bunch of crybabies on the Internet

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

I'm surprised they actually admitted it. Of course, you had to search to find the 1 sentence they admitted their error in a 4 paragraph press release that was filled with ridiculous distractors of 'what is targeting' and 'what the NCAA allows officials to do', blah blah blah. It's the big ten equivalent of burying bad news with a Friday 5pm press release. ;)

Of course what's not stated is what punishment, (if any), the replay official will get.

Since it's the big ten, I assume he'll get none and we will be dealing with incompetent officials again year after year as there are no consequences to screwing up (being kind).

Fortunately it had no effect on the final outcome but that's the kind of incompetence which usually shows itself at a crucial point in the game. Two seconds added to the clock?? Sure thing. An extra three seconds to kick a field goal?? Yep. A completed bounce pass to the TE?? No problem. No available video review for a pass which obviously wasn't intercepted?? Review?? What review??

I'll give the on-field zebras some slack on that play since in real time it wasn't an easy call. It's a joke the replay review didn't overturn the penalty though. Is it just the B1G officials who are incompetent or are they like that everywhere?? And what are the odds of the replay official being reprimanded in any way??

Dan Honig led the pack in the B1G. Remember Gummy Carr getting 2 seconds added at the PSU 11 after the game was over? Before that, scUM completed a pass to Mario Mattingham who caught it 5 yards out of bounds only to have it ruled complete. And before that, PSU's GW drive was ended when Terrell Golden was ruled to have dropped a 1st down pass (he didn't). 4 officials in that game lived in Michigan. There was exactly ONE B1G football official from PA.

Well, at the very least, Brandon Smith is owed an apology by the refs who tossed him out of the game for undue cause! How many times do these refs have to be embarrassed for not just admitting they are biased against Penn State? We are big boys, we have learned how to get over dishonesty by now? We know this is the B1G!
Apology??? Wasn't it McMoxie who said a ref told him on the field that he and his teammates should shut up when it came to requesting clarification about calls because they should just be glad that they're allowed to play at all? These conference hacks have no shame.

Here is CDT's article on the topic - hit the link below:

The article includes Coach Franklin's post-game Press Conference statement on the topic:

Head coach James Franklin originally argued the call with referees on intent — he saw Smith going for the ball — but after the game said that, based on the specifics of the rule, it was the right call because intent is not factored into the decision by referees.

“That’s the rule. I don’t know what to tell the kid,” he said after the game. “I mean, he’s going for the ball. He’s going for the interception with his hands out and they hit helmet-to-helmet. So I get it, I understand. I don’t know what to tell the kid, he gets ejected from the game for it.”

Pretty clear that Coach Franklin is going off of what he was told by the b1g shizhole corrupt officials as none of the things he is saying is ACCURATE relative to what transpired:

• First of all, the Targeting Rule ABSOLUTELY does REQUIRE in writing the specific INTENT to "take aim" at the other player - which NEVER HAPPENED HERE.
  • Secondly, it is complete NONSENSE characterizing what took place as a "helmet-to-helmet" hit. Beyond nonsensical really as nothing even remotely close to this description occurred here and the fact that Coach Franklin is describing it as a "helmet-to-helmet" hit has the full-of-$hit, make-it-up-as-we-go-along (just like the 2014 post-game, made-up bull$hit excuses in the tO$U game), cover-our-tracks, corrupt b1g shizhole scumbag fingerprints ALL OVER IT!
As even the b1g shizholes Press Release states, the Targeting Rule ITSELF specifically states, IN MULTIPLE PLACES in easily understood ENGLISH, that what Smith did is not illegal WHATSOEVER, let alone being a "targeting violation" subject to a 15-yard Major Penalty and player ejection!!!

Lavar was right. This league has had it out for us since joining. We would be so much better off some place else.
Right... so we could make less money in the ACC, getting screwed by Tobacco Road officials in football and basketball. But hey, we'd have a schedule full of powerhouses like Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC State...

Right... so we could make less money in the ACC, getting screwed by Tobacco Road officials in football and basketball. But hey, we'd have a schedule full of powerhouses like Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC State...

Too funny, using the coaches' poll, the ACC also currently has the #3, #4, #12, #14 and #23 ranked teams in the nation, but you didn't seem to mention any of them???

Too funny, using the coaches' poll, the ACC also currently has the #3, #4, #12, #14 and #23 ranked teams in the nation, but you didn't seem to mention any of them???
How many of them would be in our division? 2-3? Same as the B1G but everyone bitches about playing a crap schedule. But of course, you ignore the main point for the secondary point.

If money means more to you than respect, then Penn State doesn't need fans like you.

Nope and I called it also: They HAD TO, Mike Perreira went on television and on twitter and called them out on it. They were outflanked. If Perreira doesn't do that, none of this happens.

Here was Pereira's tweet:

Whole bunch of responses saying what nonsense the call was as well....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT