ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 network - Comcast - non Big 10 states - Speculation?

nittanyjoe

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
i live in Florida 70% of the year and PA the other 30%. Comcast is my cable provider in Florida. Comcast has already removed Big 10 from my program options in Florida.

Does anyone have a sense of how this will go going forward? It seems to me it will ultimately be resolved before football season. I remember reading that 10 of the last 24 regular season games were on BTN. I can’t imagine missing that many games. Yeah I know, go to Direct TV or watch on line. I don’t want to do either. I want my cable company to work this out. Big ten really needs to be flexible here as well.

i live in Florida 70% of the year and PA the other 30%. Comcast is my cable provider in Florida. Comcast has already removed Big 10 from my program options in Florida.

Does anyone have a sense of how this will go going forward? It seems to me it will ultimately be resolved before football season. I remember reading that 10 of the last 24 regular season games were on BTN. I can’t imagine missing that many games. Yeah I know, go to Direct TV or watch on line. I don’t want to do either. I want my cable company to work this out. Big ten really needs to be flexible here as well.

Can you get Frontier Fios? I know they are in Florida and carry BTN. If you don't want DTV or Dish, and Fios is available, check it out. It's as easy to use as traditional cable.

I switched to centurylink prism a few years ago and have been happy with them. Just an opinion to consider.

I'm in ft Myers area of Florida.

Our development on the east coast of FL switched from comcast to uverse a few years ago. No issues and a better guide.

Remember you can get BTN and ESPN through a streaming service like Youtube TV or PS Vue -- works through your Roku just like Netflix. Costs $35-40 a month.

That is less rigamarole and may be cheaper than switching cable/internet providers. Though it is always worth getting pricing to see if you can get a better deal than Comcast is giving you.

Really the last two seasons only the weakest PSU games are on BTN, and as PSU program has improved and become more of a draw, PSU games are more likely to be on ABC.

Do you have a cable provider in PA, and if so, does it let you stream BTN?
Yes I have Service Electric Cable in PA. If I can stream, would that stream go to my computer only? Sorry , I don’t use streaming and the concept is new to me.

Yes I have Service Electric Cable in PA. If I can stream, would that stream go to my computer only? Sorry , I don’t use streaming and the concept is new to me.
you can stream to any screen ... computer, ipad, tablet, phone, tv

Cool, thanks

Get a cheap roku, works pretty well for watching games on BTN. The commercials get annoying, but it's better than not seeing the game. Also if you have an relatives with direct TV, they could share their password to let you stream.

I apologize if im coming across as a jerk here.

If you’re asking questions such as this, streaming shouldn’t be an option for you. There are nuances to streaming that one must “get used to.” While streaming is great, it’s not cable and requires a certain degree of technological knowledge.

I apologize if im coming across as a jerk here.

If you’re asking questions such as this, streaming shouldn’t be an option for you. There are nuances to streaming that one must “get used to.” While streaming is great, it’s not cable and requires a certain degree of technological knowledge.

Let’s not get carried away. A quick intro to a Roku makes it pretty self explanatory. Think of it like a smartphone. It has apps (channels) that allow you to view different content (Netflix, HGTV, BTN, ...). Sling, directv now, vue, etc. are all apps. You open them, log in (initial setup) and they work like any other app. You find what you want to watch and watch it.

Reactions: PSU65 and PSUFBFAN
Let’s not get carried away. A quick intro to a Roku makes it pretty self explanatory. Think of it like a smartphone. It has apps (channels) that allow you to view different content (Netflix, HGTV, BTN, ...). Sling, directv now, vue, etc. are all apps. You open them, log in (initial setup) and they work like any other app. You find what you want to watch and watch it.
The network setup alone is reason enough to avoid streaming if you are asking questions like the post I replied to. A certain amount of technical knowledge is required especially when things go wrong. It’s important to figure it all out before jumping head first.

This mess with BTN prompted me to do some checking around. (Admittedly with the help of one of my sons, who is much more versed in technology issues.)

I’ve decided to join the ranks of the many people who are “cord cutting” and getting their tv via live streaming.

Others here have posted a few comments about it (think Boyer was the first), but I was surprised to discover how widespread the cord cutting trend has become, and how superior a deal it is to standard cable.

I am planning on going with Hulu, which offers a wide variety of channels for roughly $40 per month. You can get both preprogrammed stuff (I.e., movies, sitcoms, etc.) and live sports and news. It comes in via your cable internet connection. The Hulu lineup includes , in addition to your local network channels, roughly forty cable channels, including BTN. My cable suppliers (Comcast in Lafayette and Charter in Tahoe) could not touch the selection of channels or the price, even on a bundled basis.

Plus, you can stream it over a home computer, smart tv, regular tv outfitted with a Roku stick or Xbox console, or even a hand held device.

Lastly, I do not have to rent cable tv converter boxes or remotes, do not have to commit to one or two year contracts, and my one contract with Hulu will, because it allows me to stream programming anywhere I have an internet connection, replace both my Lafayette and Tahoe cable contracts.

The foregoing probably reads like a commercial for Hulu. I did not intend that; it is simply a surprise to me how much better a deal you can get by “cutting the cord.” Particularly if you happen to have a second home.

Reactions: PSU65
The network setup alone is reason enough to avoid streaming if you are asking questions like the post I replied to. A certain amount of technical knowledge is required especially when things go wrong. It’s important to figure it all out before jumping head first.

No. It is very simple to follow instructions for something like a Roku. You don't know what you're talking about. It may be very hard for you, but it isn't for the average person.

i live in Florida 70% of the year and PA the other 30%. Comcast is my cable provider in Florida. Comcast has already removed Big 10 from my program options in Florida. .

Really big picture that may not be applicable to you, but the Naples -- Fort Myers area has a huge amount of Ohio natives, and I would be surprised if there wasn't a provision for the Big Ten network in that area

This mess with BTN prompted me to do some checking around. (Admittedly with the help of one of my sons, who is much more versed in technology issues.)

I’ve decided to join the ranks of the many people who are “cord cutting” and getting their tv via live streaming.

Others here have posted a few comments about it (think Boyer was the first), but I was surprised to discover how widespread the cord cutting trend has become, and how superior a deal it is to standard cable.

I am planning on going with Hulu, which offers a wide variety of channels for roughly $40 per month. You can get both preprogrammed stuff (I.e., movies, sitcoms, etc.) and live sports and news. It comes in via your cable internet connection. The Hulu lineup includes , in addition to your local network channels, roughly forty cable channels, including BTN. My cable suppliers (Comcast in Lafayette and Charter in Tahoe) could not touch the selection of channels or the price, even on a bundled basis.

Plus, you can stream it over a home computer, smart tv, regular tv outfitted with a Roku stick or Xbox console, or even a hand held device.

Lastly, I do not have to rent cable tv converter boxes or remotes, do not have to commit to one or two year contracts, and my one contract with Hulu will, because it allows me to stream programming anywhere I have an internet connection, replace both my Lafayette and Tahoe cable contracts.

The foregoing probably reads like a commercial for Hulu. I did not intend that; it is simply a surprise to me how much better a deal you can get by “cutting the cord.” Particularly if you happen to have a second home.

Make sure you look into internet pricing. Many home internet providers will cap your data, or throttle your speed. If they can't gouge you for TV, they will get you for the internet.

Reactions: jim cummings

Cable companies do not permit showing live TV (which is localized) out of the place where they exist. I tried that and can't do it. In other words my NBC< ABC< FOX and NBC stations will play in central Pa but not in South Jersey.

Cable companies do not permit showing live TV (which is localized) out of the place where they exist. I tried that and can't do it. In other words my NBC< ABC< FOX and NBC stations will play in central Pa but not in South Jersey.
?? I currently have a Comcast TV subscription (primarily because it allowed me to get both BTN and the Pac 12 Network). My sons had no problem streaming live sporting events and HBO over it in their State College apartments during the last two years.

?? I currently have a Comcast TV subscription (primarily because it allowed me to get both BTN and the Pac 12 Network). My sons had no problem streaming live sporting events and HBO over it in their State College apartments during the last two years.
Right, because they used your login information which is based on where you live.

I realize you said "cable companies", but you can do this with direct TV. If you take your box from PA and hook it up to a dish somewhere else... you will get your local PA channels wherever you are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT