ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 bowl records vs SEC

No, they don't. We're the third team in the Big Ten this year playing the 5th team in the SEC.

I'd rather be playing for titles and losing to elite teams than beating average teams. Ohio State wasn't great when we first joined the conference so I'm guessing they have bad losses there. I don't know their history like I know ours.

Honestly, the only two SEC wins that are impressive are Tennessee in the Fiesta and LSU in the CapOne.
Agreed, the bowls rarely pair teams evenly. For years, the big ten was getting beat down by the SEC in bowl games but if you looked at where teams finished in their respective conferences, the big ten was playing up in most of the matchups. That being said, it's hard to ignore that the SEC is better than the big ten now and has been for quite a few years.

You are moving the goalposts again. Just because they were selected behind LSU and UF doesn't mean they are a worse team than LSU and UF (which is what is important in the context of this conversation: the idea that the Big 10 frequently "plays lesser SEC competition")

We do--all the time. If you want to pretend Kentucky is better than LSU or Florida then pretend that. You aren't that stupid.

Agreed, the bowls rarely pair teams evenly. For years, the big ten was getting beat down by the SEC in bowl games but if you looked at where teams finished in their respective conferences, the big ten was playing up in most of the matchups. That being said, it's hard to ignore that the SEC is better than the big ten now and has been for quite a few years.

Agreed, it does go in cycles. If we were playing any other conference as our next tier games we'd always be playing up. Kind of wish we played more of the ACC/Pac XII/Big XII. Actually, I wish the bowls didn't exist but since they do...

So, Michigan State is better than us? You all know this is beyond ridiculous.
You are the ridiculous one.

MSU was 7-5. PSU was 9-3. No one would say that MSU was the better overall team than PSU. However, if MSU's record was also 9-3, then yes, you would have to say they were the better team, since they had the same record and beat them head to head.

I'm not sure if you are trolling, obtuse or are just a Pitt fan...but c'mon, man.

Yeah, that's fair. It probably is only Ohio State. I only remember playoff and titles games off the top of my head but Ohio State beat Bama and lost to Florida/LSU. And Ohio State wasn't great when we first joined the Big Ten so their might be some bad losses there.
Yeah, I still remember their loss to South Carolina

You are the ridiculous one.

MSU was 7-5. PSU was 9-3. No one would say that MSU was the better overall team than PSU. However, if MSU's record was also 9-3, then yes, you would have to say they were the better team, since they had the same record and beat them head to head.

I'm not sure if you are trolling, obtuse or are just a Pitt fan...but c'mon, man.

Kentucky lost to Tennessee by 17 points. Kentucky beating Florida the second week of the season has no bearing on who is the better team today.. We all know Florida > Kentucky right now.

The 3rd Big Ten team is playing the 5th SEC team. We should win. We're playing down which is going to happen most of the time when we don't make the NY6/playoff because of how the bowls are set up.

Okay, let me dumb this down for you even more. When the Big Ten & SEC both have 3 teams in the NY6/playoff and the Citrus selects ND over a Big Ten team then the rest of our matchups against the SEC has them playing up. It isn't complicated. If we weren't playing the SEC in those next tier games then you'd be right.
There's a good possibly your team was left out of the playoffs less because they got blown out by Purdue but more because those in power didn't want the media frenzy that would come with your coach harboring a wife beater.

Reactions: odshowtime
Kentucky lost to Tennessee by 17 points. Kentucky beating Florida the second week of the season has no bearing on who is the better team today.. We all know Florida > Kentucky right now.

The 3rd Big Ten team is playing the 5th SEC team. We should win. We're playing down which is going to happen most of the time when we don't make the NY6/playoff because of how the bowls are set up.
Funny, I thought all the games mattered. I'm fascinated to learn that week 2 games don't count.

Reactions: nittnee
Since PSU joined the Big 10, here are the bowl records of other notable Big 10 teams when playing the vaunted SEC (FTR, I counted games against current SEC teams, irrespective of what conference they were in at the time, e.g. TAMU)

The Mighty Ohio State University is 3-7.

Storied Michigan is 6-6.

Wisconsin "We Own the West" Badgers are 3-4.

Michigan State is 2-4.

PSU is 8-4
Michigan is 8-6 all time in bowl games versus the SEC.

There's a good possibly your team was left out of the playoffs less because they got blown out by Purdue but more because those in power didn't want the media frenzy that would come with your coach harboring a wife beater.

I'm not an Ohio State fan but, yes, that's all valid. Ohio State shouldn't have been in anyway. Georgia should have

Funny, I thought all the games mattered. I'm fascinated to learn that week 2 games don't count.

If you think teams don't improve from week 2 you're wrong. Games at the end of the season are far more telling about how good your team is at that time. When we lost to Pitt in 2016 should that have prevent us from getting in the playoff over Washington? Of course not because we improved.

The fact you can't acknowledge Kentucky is the 5th SEC team is laughable. There's a better argument for them being 6th than 4th

Since PSU joined the Big 10, here are the bowl records of other notable Big 10 teams when playing the vaunted SEC (FTR, I counted games against current SEC teams, irrespective of what conference they were in at the time, e.g. TAMU)

The Mighty Ohio State University is 3-7.

Storied Michigan is 6-6.

Wisconsin "We Own the West" Badgers are 3-4.

Michigan State is 2-4.

PSU is 8-4
While I appreciate what you are saying, but if you talk to SEC fans, the SEC is better across the board than the Big 10. It (Big10) is, year in and year out, a weak conference.

If I have time later today, I'll pull out the specific wins and losses for each team above. I think your argument probably applies to OSU, but not the other teams.
Not sure where you're getting your numbers. Record is either 1-10, 2-10, 3-10, or 4-10, depending on how you're counting.

Surprisingly, Ohio State performs fairly well in the top level games. On the field they've gone 2-3 or 4-3 (if you count A&M) in the top games. 7 of the 10 losses have come in 2nd tier, or worse, bowls.

Wins:

2015 Sugar Bowl (Bama)
2011 Sugar Bowl (Arkansas)*
1999 Sugar Bowl (Texas A&M)**
1987 Cotton Bowl (Texas A&M)**

Losses:

2012 Gator Bowl (Florida)
2008 BCS Title Game (LSU)
2007 BCS Title Game (Florida)
2001 Outback Bowl (South Carolina)
2000 Outback Bowl (South Carolina)
1996 Citrus Bowl (Tennessee)
1995 Citrus Bowl (Bama)
1993 Citrus Bowl (Georgia)
1990 Hall of Fame Bowl (Auburn)
1978 Sugar Bowl (Bama)

*Vacated
**Not in the SEC at the time of the game

Yes, they are. Please read my OP carefully which clearly says "Since PSU joined the Big 10". No point in comparing apples to oranges, right?

What does something 25 years ago have anything to do with today? How is it more relevant? Honestly, us beating Tennessee in the Citrus Bowl following the 93 season has what meaning today?

You literally started this thread to bash other programs. There's no reason for that. Then you can't accept the fact we're playing down a level (two actually) by getting Kentucky so of course we're supposed to win.

If you aren't in the playoff the bowl record is meaningless. We can count NY6 if we must

So if Penn State were playing Florida or LSU and Kentucky were playing in a NY6 Bowl, would you still be saying we were playing the 5th best team in the SEC?

That isn't even a possibility. Florida & LSU are far ahead of Kentucky but, sure, if in some insane bizzaro world if that happened, then, yes, we'd be playing the 5th place team. Honestly, if you or anyone else things Kentucky is the third or fourth team in the SEC you don't follow football outside our program. This is laughable. No, actually it's just pathetic.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers. Record is either 1-10, 2-10, 3-10, or 4-10, depending on how you're counting.

Surprisingly, Ohio State performs fairly well in the top level games. On the field they've gone 2-3 or 4-3 (if you count A&M) in the top games. 7 of the 10 losses have come in 2nd tier, or worse, bowls.

Wins:

2015 Sugar Bowl (Bama)
2011 Sugar Bowl (Arkansas)*
1999 Sugar Bowl (Texas A&M)**
1987 Cotton Bowl (Texas A&M)**

Losses:

2012 Gator Bowl (Florida)
2008 BCS Title Game (LSU)
2007 BCS Title Game (Florida)
2001 Outback Bowl (South Carolina)
2000 Outback Bowl (South Carolina)
1996 Citrus Bowl (Tennessee)
1995 Citrus Bowl (Bama)
1993 Citrus Bowl (Georgia)
1990 Hall of Fame Bowl (Auburn)
1978 Sugar Bowl (Bama)

*Vacated
**Not in the SEC at the time of the game
Looks to me like 3-7 SINCE PSU JOINED THE BIG TEN. Just as stated.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Well then, is UF any good this year?
They’re decent. Not great but getting better under Mullen. UM should be the better team and def has deeper roster. Guessing it’ll be a good game and definitely wouldn’t be surprised if it’s another disappointing loss for UM.

Looks to me like 3-7 SINCE PSU JOINED THE BIG TEN. Just as stated.
giphy.gif

Such stupid nonsense. Some of you guys move the fvck on and post your own thread. Nobody gives a sh!t about your pissing match.

The SEC is better right now. Kentucky has a win over Florida. That trumps anything we did this year if we're being honest. Their loss to Tennessee though (especially by 17) is far worse than anything we did. I don't know why we're mad the SEC is smart and plays one weak team in November. It's a great idea.

SEC > Big Ten > Big XII > ACC > Pac XII/American. Honestly the American might be better than the Pac XII. We can't bitch about the 9 games schedule. We need to win games we should win. And we can't get blown out by Michigan. Just like Ohio State can't get blown out by Purdue and expect to make the playoff under the current stupid 4 teams system. The real travesty is that OU made it over Georgia. Expecting OU to lose by 3+ scores.

Remember, even if the Big Ten runs the table against the SEC this bowl season the SEC was playing up because of all the teams that made the NY6

Stop Snell and you stop Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT