ADVERTISEMENT

Beyond JoePa: A closer look at the second mile

step.eng69

Nov 7, 2012
North East PA, Backmountain area, age 72
Great to see that someone out there actually mentions TSM as a key player in the sandusky business,
an JoePa as a pawn in the shenanigans.

A.J. Castellitto is a freelance writer who resides in NJ with his wife and five children. He holds a B.S. in Counseling and Human Services from the University of Scranton and his writings have been published at The Center for Western Journalism, The Christian Post, Intellectual Conservative and Reformed Perspective Magazine.

By A.J. Castellitto
April 16, 2018

lINK: http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/castellitto/180416

180416castellitto.jpg

How a children's charitable foundation founded by Jerry Sandusky swiftly became a house of horrors for underprivileged boys is the true story that lies underneath the Penn State scandal that led to the firing of beloved football legend Joe Paterno. The spotlight should have shined much brighter than it has thus far. Was Joe Paterno essentially the sacrificial lamb to keep the emphasis off a much greater scandal? The answers may get lost in the haze of politics and special interests but there are many good men and women that proceed to ask the hard questions. Not surprisingly, the MSM proceeds to be MIA, especially when it matters most.

The Second Mile's Executive Director, Jack Raykovitz, is a particular person of interest. A Psychologist who headed the agency for at-risk youth for 28 years, Raykovitz had knowledge of Sandusky's shenanigans since the very beginning, including two separate incidents in 1998 and 2001 in which he had showered with young boys. In his testimony regarding the 2001 episode, which was originally reported by graduate assistant Mike McQueary, Raykovitz stated that he informed several high-ranking board members of the incident and advised Sandusky to wear swim trunks when showering with children. This shocking admission goes a long way in confirming how negligent those charged with proper oversight of the foundation truly were. In 1998, when Sandusky was accused of similar behavior, a 6 week investigation ensued. Unfortunately, the DA on the case, Ray Gricar, concluded the allegations to be unsubstantiated based on a lack of evidence.

As per Pennsylvania law, if anyone associated with a child care agency is under investigation for child abuse, the agency and the welfare department are to work together to develop a written safety plan until the investigation is complete. Tragically, these steps were never initiated; a reality that defies logic outside the realm of cover and complicity.

Raykovitz, in particular, should have been a primary player in the whole investigation as he was the head person directly responsible for the safety of the children and the integrity of the foundation. Outside Sandusky, any investigation into child abuses against the boys of Second Mile should have began and ended directly with him, his staff, and the few executive board members in the know, as a wall of secrecy hovered over the charity like a dark cloud. But ultimately, all we got was Paterno under a microscope, as is the case throughout the newly released HBO depiction of the scandal starring Al Pacino as the much beleaguered JoePa.

The Second Mile officially ceased operations after transferring its programs and remaining assets to Arrow Child & Family Ministries. However, many questions still remain...

@ 35 minutes FBI-Sandusky-ties to Philly

*This is just the tip of the iceberg, for more info and analysis check out Ray Blehar's SMSS blog

http://notpsu.blogspot.com/?m=1

© A.J. Castellitto

Last edited:
Thanks, step. Very good find. I only have the time now to read the section of the article you posted, but it's a good start at focusing the blame where it belongs, the real owners of this scandal. My only quibble with the excerpt above is the reference to the "Penn State scandal" instead of the "sandusky scandal". However, I think it can be argued that he used the former for effect in illustrating how things went terribly wrong (i.e., firing Joe).

Stuff is happening.
Most of the notes in the released files appear to be FBI interviews conducted in 2012 with Second Mile board members in both the State College office and other regional offices. The interviews described how Second Mile board members reacted to the Sandusky revelations dating back to as early as 2010 and 2011.

"Not a single person admitted to knowing about Sandusky's crimes prior to the presentment," Snedden said. Two people claim to know about "missing donor money," but nothing else is said about that subject in the rest of the released files.

The documents released by the feds are heavily redacted, but there are many references to Second Mile board members circling the wagons. References were made in the documents to false allegations being made by a "disgruntled mother" and a "disgruntled kid."

The documents are more noticeable for what they don't say. Such as in the issue of jurisdiction involving the Sandusky investigation. If, for example, in their investigation of The Second Mile, if the feds any found any evidence of a federal crime, such as Sandusky crossing state lines with sex abuse victims, "They would have taken it [the investigation] away from the state for prosecution," Snedden said.

"But they [the feds] didn't do any of that," Snedden said after reviewing the documents. "There's no indication they did that."

Instead, the attorney general pursued the Sandusky investigation, and the feds pursued The Second File.

"Sadly, neither focused on political vindictiveness and corruption, which is exactly what happened here," Snedden said.

Snedden has his own experience with a previous secret federal investigation into the Penn State scandal. In 2012, working as a special agent for the Federal Investigative Services, Snedden did a background investigation of former Penn State President Graham Spanier, to see if Spanier's high level security clearance should be renewed by the government.

As part of that investigation, Snedden investigated whether Spanier had orchestrated a coverup of Sandusky's crimes. Snedden's investigation concluded that there was no cover up at Penn State, because there was no sex crime to cover up. As far as Snedden was concerned, Mike McQueary, the guy who witnessed a naked Sandusky allegedly abusing a boy in the Penn State showers, was not a credible witness.

Spanier's clearance was renewed as the result of an 110-page report that Snedden wrote back in 2012, a report that was declassified earlier this year.

In the investigation of The Second Mile, the released files include copies of FBI interviews with eight witnesses whose identities are redacted. The interviews are recorded on FBI "302s," the number of the form that interview summaries were typed on by FBI agents.

"I see a lot of interviews with a lot of different people, a wide range of positions in the Second Mile hierarchy," Snedden said. "And I don't see any people admitting to knowing anything concrete about Sandusky."

In the interviews, there are quotes from woman who "had always heard positive things about the organization. She had never heard anything bad about TSM founder Jerry Sandusky."

Another woman interviewed by the FBI described Sandusky's "nondescript entrance and presence" at a March 25, 2011 "Celebration of Excellence" event in Hershey.

"Sandusky was not acknowledged during the event formally by TSM," the woman told the FBI.

"On March 31, 2011, the Patriot News published an article about the grand jury investigation" of Sandusky," the woman told the FBI. "The article was everywhere and everyone was talking about it."

I was thinking about this very subject over the weekend. It is beyond all logic that no one involved with a charity for boys and run by a serial pedophile was never charged with any crime. Instead all of the media and prosecutorial attention was focused on PSU.

I was also thinking that it is only a matter of time until multiple victims burn through their “Ira” settlements and will be looking for more cash possibly breaking the NDA to get it. As time passes it will be increasingly difficult for the “engineers” of the TSM charade to keep all of the plates spinning as it were.

It’s only a matter of time.

That will be interesting, if it comes about. I would guess that the big fish behind TSM have better lawyers than the victims do, or, at least, better lawyers than PSU has.

I was thinking about this very subject over the weekend. It is beyond all logic that no one involved with a charity for boys and run by a serial pedophile was never charged with any crime. Instead all of the media and prosecutorial attention was focused on PSU.

I was also thinking that it is only a matter of time until multiple victims burn through their “Ira” settlements and will be looking for more cash possibly breaking the NDA to get it. As time passes it will be increasingly difficult for the “engineers” of the TSM charade to keep all of the plates spinning as it were.

It’s only a matter of time.

Some posters here may know better, or for certain, but.... I think at least one payee has already brought a civil suit vs. the Sanduskys. Thought is that he has blown through his "Ira" (good one!) payout already.
And, again if I understand correctly, Sandusky's lawyer welcomes the chance to re-open some of the files. He is probably doing all this pro bono by now.

I heard that a while ago (6 months?), though, and I don't know any more recent news or updates on that. I certainly wasn't surprised when I heard it, though.

Reactions: step.eng69
Thanks, step. Very good find. I only have the time now to read the section of the article you posted, but it's a good start at focusing the blame where it belongs, the real owners of this scandal. My only quibble with the excerpt above is the reference to the "Penn State scandal" instead of the "sandusky scandal". However, I think it can be argued that he used the former for effect in illustrating how things went terribly wrong (i.e., firing Joe).
That jumped out at me while reading the article in the ladies room. I call it the ladies room, because every time i go in the seat is down.

Reactions: Bob78
The TSM and Rakovitz magical disappearing from responsibility act is the greatest trick in the history of prestidigitation. It is truly an illusion of epic proportion that Joe was in any way responsible for a child in any building on the campus of PSU being put in harm's way and not the Second Mile, the employer of perp. I have often wondered why the head of the turnpike commission is not held responsible for acts against children that occur while in the care of others in turnpike rest areas, or hotel company CEOs for the same in one of their hotels. Getting the media to focus on Paterno while the BOT (with associates of TSM) put Joe under a gag order until he was unable to speak at all was after all a smart BOT move....and it worked simply because of the value of his good name and great reputation.

IIRC....Raykovitz told Bruce Heim.........solely, and he decided not to inform the entire board..........EWOC? CYS decided not to indicate Sandusky/TSM and could of/should of/had a safety plan drawn up...............but they didn't. While not a crime, it is certainly a.............moral failing. But Hey, I am off to start my 3 hours of Act 31 training again. Thanks PA legislature.........the children of Pennsylvania are so much safer now. Does Harrisburg have any moral failing regrets.............they should, but they are hiding them. Funny how the TSM and the entire PSU BOT never heard an inkling until the criminal indictments came out even through the March blurb hinted at bad things to come. Sounds like everyone is sticking to a ............talking point. Shameful.

Stuff is happening.
Most of the notes in the released files appear to be FBI interviews conducted in 2012 with Second Mile board members in both the State College office and other regional offices. The interviews described how Second Mile board members reacted to the Sandusky revelations dating back to as early as 2010 and 2011.

"Not a single person admitted to knowing about Sandusky's crimes prior to the presentment," Snedden said. Two people claim to know about "missing donor money," but nothing else is said about that subject in the rest of the released files.

The documents released by the feds are heavily redacted, but there are many references to Second Mile board members circling the wagons. References were made in the documents to false allegations being made by a "disgruntled mother" and a "disgruntled kid."

The documents are more noticeable for what they don't say. Such as in the issue of jurisdiction involving the Sandusky investigation. If, for example, in their investigation of The Second Mile, if the feds any found any evidence of a federal crime, such as Sandusky crossing state lines with sex abuse victims, "They would have taken it [the investigation] away from the state for prosecution," Snedden said.

"But they [the feds] didn't do any of that," Snedden said after reviewing the documents. "There's no indication they did that."

Instead, the attorney general pursued the Sandusky investigation, and the feds pursued The Second File.

"Sadly, neither focused on political vindictiveness and corruption, which is exactly what happened here," Snedden said.

Snedden has his own experience with a previous secret federal investigation into the Penn State scandal. In 2012, working as a special agent for the Federal Investigative Services, Snedden did a background investigation of former Penn State President Graham Spanier, to see if Spanier's high level security clearance should be renewed by the government.

As part of that investigation, Snedden investigated whether Spanier had orchestrated a coverup of Sandusky's crimes. Snedden's investigation concluded that there was no cover up at Penn State, because there was no sex crime to cover up. As far as Snedden was concerned, Mike McQueary, the guy who witnessed a naked Sandusky allegedly abusing a boy in the Penn State showers, was not a credible witness.

Spanier's clearance was renewed as the result of an 110-page report that Snedden wrote back in 2012, a report that was declassified earlier this year.

In the investigation of The Second Mile, the released files include copies of FBI interviews with eight witnesses whose identities are redacted. The interviews are recorded on FBI "302s," the number of the form that interview summaries were typed on by FBI agents.

"I see a lot of interviews with a lot of different people, a wide range of positions in the Second Mile hierarchy," Snedden said. "And I don't see any people admitting to knowing anything concrete about Sandusky."

In the interviews, there are quotes from woman who "had always heard positive things about the organization. She had never heard anything bad about TSM founder Jerry Sandusky."

Another woman interviewed by the FBI described Sandusky's "nondescript entrance and presence" at a March 25, 2011 "Celebration of Excellence" event in Hershey.

"Sandusky was not acknowledged during the event formally by TSM," the woman told the FBI.

"On March 31, 2011, the Patriot News published an article about the grand jury investigation" of Sandusky," the woman told the FBI. "The article was everywhere and everyone was talking about it."

I'll just leave this here for now.

And what would you call the majority of the MSM "news" articles, which many in the public believe is factually base, the last 6 years?

Not the point, the point is that something like this is a small op ed in a blog that will change nothing. It's clickbait for the true believers, not something ground breaking that anyone else will care about.

Reactions: Nit16
I'll put it this way: over the years I've seen what I believe to be favorable treatment of Notre dame in the media. I've seen michigan and OSU appear to get the benefit of the close calls. I can count maybe one or two that went PSU's way. One was the td catch in the end zone last year, where the OSU defender came close to intercepting it.

But no matter how much I doubt I saw any opposing ND fans or Michigan fans or OSU fans say, wow you're right we caught a break there.

Peopel have to care anough about something to change their minds, and few outside of Penn State really care about this stuff other than some Pitt psychos and maybe Rutgers fans.

A good current example of fan base delusional behavior is the Hawkeye wrestling crazies. they're not all nuts but there is contingent that know Cael is cheating and PSU is using PEDS and pulling all other kinds of nonsense. No matter what anyone says, they will believe that. You're not changing any minds anywhere with these articles.

Great to see that someone out there actually mentions TSM as a key player in the sandusky business,

A.J. Castellitto is a freelance writer who resides in NJ with his wife and five children. He holds a B.S. in Counseling and Human Services from the University of Scranton and his writings have been published at The Center for Western Journalism, The Christian Post, Intellectual Conservative and Reformed Perspective Magazine.

By A.J. Castellitto
April 16, 2018

180416castellitto.jpg

How a children's charitable foundation founded by Jerry Sandusky swiftly became a house of horrors for underprivileged boys is the true story that lies underneath the Penn State scandal that led to the firing of beloved football legend Joe Paterno. The spotlight should have shined much brighter than it has thus far. Was Joe Paterno essentially the sacrificial lamb to keep the emphasis off a much greater scandal? The answers may get lost in the haze of politics and special interests but there are many good men and women that proceed to ask the hard questions. Not surprisingly, the MSM proceeds to be MIA, especially when it matters most.

The Second Mile's Executive Director, Jack Raykovitz, is a particular person of interest. A Psychologist who headed the agency for at-risk youth for 28 years, Raykovitz had knowledge of Sandusky's shenanigans since the very beginning, including two separate incidents in 1998 and 2001 in which he had showered with young boys. In his testimony regarding the 2001 episode, which was originally reported by graduate assistant Mike McQueary, Raykovitz stated that he informed several high-ranking board members of the incident and advised Sandusky to wear swim trunks when showering with children. This shocking admission goes a long way in confirming how negligent those charged with proper oversight of the foundation truly were. In 1998, when Sandusky was accused of similar behavior, a 6 week investigation ensued. Unfortunately, the DA on the case, Ray Gricar, concluded the allegations to be unsubstantiated based on a lack of evidence.

As per Pennsylvania law, if anyone associated with a child care agency is under investigation for child abuse, the agency and the welfare department are to work together to develop a written safety plan until the investigation is complete. Tragically, these steps were never initiated; a reality that defies logic outside the realm of cover and complicity.

Raykovitz, in particular, should have been a primary player in the whole investigation as he was the head person directly responsible for the safety of the children and the integrity of the foundation. Outside Sandusky, any investigation into child abuses against the boys of Second Mile should have began and ended directly with him, his staff, and the few executive board members in the know, as a wall of secrecy hovered over the charity like a dark cloud. But ultimately, all we got was Paterno under a microscope, as is the case throughout the newly released HBO depiction of the scandal starring Al Pacino as the much beleaguered JoePa.

The Second Mile officially ceased operations after transferring its programs and remaining assets to Arrow Child & Family Ministries. However, many questions still remain...

*This is just the tip of the iceberg, for more info and analysis check out Ray Blehar's SMSS blog

© A.J. Castellitto

Pedogate Bust: Founder of One of the Largest Children’s Charities in the World, Arrested for Pedophilia

https://stillnessinthestorm.com/201...arities-in-the-world-arrested-for-pedophilia/

By A.J. Castellitto
April 16, 2018

180416castellitto.jpg

© A.J. Castellitto

Let it go man. We got a great football program again. It’s people like you that won’t let the past fade away.

Reactions: fizzyskittles
:confused:
I'm trying to change another persons opinions on this board? Not my point :)
Bye now, traveling 2 hrs to New Britain, Pa for a site meeting.

Get ready for a great football season. You’re head is in the wrong place. Focus on the season and your meeting. :)

Reactions: step.eng69
Stuff is happening.

WHERE ARE THESE DOCUMENTS?

Bagwell got them didn’t he? Can he make them public?

Reactions: Zenophile
Sandusky is serving on 45 counts out of 48...all 45 counts are involving kids that came thru the 2M...yet Louie the Liar NEVER interviewed one person from the charity...some FBI man ain't he! He couldn't track an elephant in the snow....unless of course the elephant paid him $9 million...

Sandusky is serving on 45 counts out of 48...all 45 counts are involving kids that came thru the 2M...yet Louie the Liar NEVER interviewed one person from the charity...some FBI man ain't he! He couldn't track an elephant in the snow....unless of course the elephant paid him $9 million...
I'd imagine that was out of the defined scope for him, and his scope would have in all likelihood been determined or approved by the people signing Louie's checks.

I'd imagine that was out of the defined scope for him, and his scope would have in all likelihood been determined or approved by the people signing Louie's checks.

Since One-Term Tommy made sure Louie got hired...and since Tommy took 645k from the 2M for his election run...it couldn't possibly be that Corbutt told Loie to stay clear of the 2M...i for one am convinced it happened.

As much as I despise freeh, he was hired by psu to investigate psu. If he tred to investigate SM then SM would've told him to F off and rightfully so.

As much as I despise freeh, he was hired by psu to investigate psu. If he tred to investigate SM then SM would've told him to F off and rightfully so.

I think I remembered him telling Wendy at the press conference that he tried to interview TSM people and they didn’t want to talk to him.

Get ready for a great football season. You’re head is in the wrong place. Focus on the season and your meeting. :)
o_O Kar & I have contributed enough donations to the Levi Lamb Fund over the past 17 years to ensure coverage of an athletic scholarship for three semesters @ Dear Old State. All sports.

Ensure might be a little too nieve on my part.

Let it go man. We got a great football program again. It’s people like you that won’t let the past fade away.
I don't think you're getting it, Nit16. Believe it or not, the success or failure of our football program is not what is driving all of this. Don't get me wrong, I like where it's headed right now, but it has nothing to do with this. Some here just want to see corrected what is perceived as a terrible injustice. Now that said, I am afraid that fizzy might be correct in his assertion that none of this will move the needle. People generally believe only what they want to believe, regardless of the mountain of evidence pointing to the contrary.

I think I remembered him telling Wendy at the press conference that he tried to interview TSM people and they didn’t want to talk to him.
Freeh got paid, all that matters.
Pennsylvania state Sen. Jake Corman, who filed a lawsuit challenging the $60 million penalty levied by the NCAA against the school, told Outside the Lines that he was unsettled by the NCAA's communication with the independent investigation. He speculated that the two sides were closely collaborating with one another:

"Clearly the more we dig into this, the more troubling it gets," Corman told Outside the Lines. "There clearly is a significant amount of communication between Freeh and the NCAA that goes way beyond merely providing information. I'd call it coordination ... Clearly, Freeh went way past his mandate. He was the enforcement person for the NCAA. That's what it looks like. I don't know how you can look at it any other way. It's almost like the NCAA hired him to do their enforcement investigation on Penn State."

"At a minimum, it is inappropriate. At a maximum, these were two parties working together to get an outcome that was predetermined."

The Freeh Report found that Penn State leadership, including longtime football coach Joe Paterno, failed to take action despite intimate knowledge of Sandusky's abusive behavior. It also determined that Penn State officials concealed facts and violated federal law when they did not properly alert law enforcement to crimes committed by Sandusky. The report states that Paterno and other Penn State officials demonstrated "callous and shocking disregard for child victims."

Donald Remy, the NCAA's general counsel, denied wrongdoing in a statement to ESPN:

"I think the communications between the Freeh group and the NCAA were consistent with the NCAA's commitment to cooperate with the Freeh group and our commitment to monitor the progress of that investigation," Remy said. "In no way do those documents demonstrate the NCAA was doing anything beyond that."

No - he wasn’t.
He was supposed to have a much broader and purpose-driven mandate - - - according to his engagement document.

Which - of course - was a joke.

Why the folks who have all this info...... and were “supposed to” expose this pile of shit.... have gone completely dark, lazy, and stupid is the question.

I know the answer, as would anyone who has been paying close attention. But, still, THAT is the question.
What happened to Lynn Abraham's investigation of The Second Mile?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT