ADVERTISEMENT

Beyond JoePa: A closer look at the second mile

He is well liked by many, which just goes to prove something -
Jack Raykovitz is a state-licensed professional that not only counseled many Second Mile youth, most notably Matt Sandusky, but his program targeted this population using sports and coaching and attached itself to a high profile athletic program.

Sports is a high-risk environment for child sexual abuse, as it involves: An age disparity between adults and kids; an imbalance of power between a coach and a player; differing intellectual capabilities between adult coaches and youth.

Grooming behavior by an offender goes as follows:

n Targeting a victim — the offender is looking for a vulnerability in that minor.

n Gaining trust — a coach is often perceived as a hero and a mentor.

n Recognizing and fulfilling needs – attention and positive reinforcement is given.

n Isolate the victim — the offender is the only one who understands them.

n Sexualize the relationship — “accidental nudity” in a shower or locker room.

n Maintaining control — separate the minor from their parents or friends.

Dr. Raykovitz should have known that Second Mile was a perfect grooming charity, with Jerry Sandusky exhibiting red flags of grooming behavior around Second Mile kids for years, the largest one being waved was the constant out of program contact.

Dr. Raykovitz described to the jury that after Tim Curley visited him and discussed Mike McQueary’s incident, he spoke with Jerry Sandusky and advised him to “just wear swim trunks” the next time he showers with a youth after a workout. Both the jury and state prosecutor Laura Ditka — who also prosecutes sex crimes — simply accepted Jack’s reasoning.

Telling the offender to wear swim trunks doesn’t matter, the goal of the offender upon entering a locker room with a minor is to get the youth to undress, thus breaking down barriers. This “accidental nudity” then sexualizes the relationship — the locker room or a shower is the perfect place to do that.

Any touching then confuses the child about the nature of the touching. Probing questions from parents are easily waved off with “Oh, it was just regular locker room stuff” “just guys being guys” “It won’t happen again.”

It is inexcusable for a CEO of a program that services children to recommend this as a best practice for ANY adult representing the program.

Dr. Raykovitz tells the jury he knew it was a Second Mile teen in 2001, yet failed to indentify the teen and thus failed to contact the teen’s parent(s) for more information. He failed to probe Sandusky about this of out of program contact with a Second Mile client, nor did he discuss with the full board that Penn State has now bounced all kids from being in campus buildings with Jerry Sandusky as a result. Dr. Raykovitz failed to sit down with Jerry Sandusky, identify his grooming behaviors, put the kibosh on the out of program contact with clients, and implement a written safety plan (as per state mandate) in working with Second Mile minors going forward. By implementing such a practice, the goal would be to protect the children of Second Mile from incidents of misconduct or inappropriate behavior while also protecting Second Mile staff and volunteers from false accusations.

Great Response....WHY??

Because it confirms and exposes even MORE features which were withheld from the public. It adds much more credibility to the contention that the "Penn State Scandal" was nothing but a "Story" designed to deceive the public and promote a smoke screen for OAG selected "special friends".

To me this only further validates that this WAS & IS a State of Pennsylvania Scandal. And, amazingly....This scandal is well above the crimes that Sandusky was convicted on. This REAL scandal is that the OAG constructed a "Story" that REMOVED real facts from the public.

It hid something the OAG KNEW to be true.....that the REAL MANDATED REPORTERS got away with crimes - crimes the magnitude which are now"...only known but to God..." Why...because those that REALLY had the legal responsibility to STOP children from within its"community of victims" from being abused - DID LESS THAN NOTHING!!!!!!

Which begs the question.....Is Sandusky only the tip of the iceberg??? How many more TSM kids were abused....NOT by Sandusky...but by others? A real motive of SELECTIVE PROTECTION by the OAG is what needs immediate exposure and legal action. Who else "used TSM for kids????

Is this why the TSM records had to be destroyed? Others - politically protected donors (???) - were "They" using TSM "kids" for their own purposes???

This issue of painting PSU with the ONLY LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY in this matter is nothing less than UNPUNISHED CRIMES!! Add to this the totally bogus legal processes over 7 years and you can not escape the only reasonable conclusion - this is nothing but COLLUSIVE CRIMES MADE POSSIBLE BY A CORRUPT OAG "Story" .... a "Story" only made possible by a coordinated group of public officials!

This is why we can not just "...move on..."

Last edited:
LOL at the deflection hijak. Part of the self righteous clan haha. You know exactly what I’m talking about. Time to move on for the last 100 obsessed stragglers.

It is never time to move on if injustice persists. That does not necessarily mean that the outcome will change but it is worth continuing to fight. BTW most of us can continue to fight the false narrative and simultaneously support CJF and the current team. It is not an either or proposition. You have chosen to turn your back on the man who laid the foundation for success with honor. It is your loss. If you find people talking about this so distressing don't open the thread or use the ignore feature.

Injustice is your opinion dem. For most people justice will never be served for the victims no matter how much money was exchanged. For others justice was served in some form. Serious question. What injustice are you referring to? Your entire first paragraph is purely emotional and the “world according to dem” stuff unless you feel like you can speak and represent most people.

Your second paragraph is of course jibberish with no substance so I’ll pass on that one.

According to many the truth has been out for quite awhile dem. According to them maybe the truth has set them free.

So it doesn't matter that the wrong organization (PSU) took the fall for an employee of the second mile, who provided and has responsibility for the victims... because the victims were victims. Got it.

And you wonder why nobody takes you seriously? If you can't even grasp the easy stuff... now I understand why you use diversionary tactics to avoid responding to the tough questions like Dem's second paragraph.

First It doesn’t bother me. We’re just exchanging ideas and opinions here dem. Obviously I’m in the camp of moving on. I’ll react to threads because that’s what we do here. Second it’s my opinion that he truth has been established and all or most parties have had their day in court. And I get that when your day in court turns out badly you can have more days in court. The difference between the camp I reside in and the camp some of you reside is I’m no longer emotional about the Penn State scandal. You guys pluck hairs to support a cause that literally no one outside of our community cares about. The opinions are hardened and will not change. Kick and screaming about the outcome won’t change anything. You my friend are wasting time. I’m just playing my part to free you from the emotional meltdown you and some can’t get by. Time for you to move on and enjoy what James Franklin is doing. You’ll be 70 sooner than you think. What year does the scandal crap end for you dem?

"The difference between the camp I reside in and the camp some of you reside is I’m no longer emotional about the Penn State scandal." With this line you revealed yourself as the troll that you are. So it is the Penn State scandal to you? No one who truly cared about Penn State could type that phrase and not be emotional. If you have moved on why have you posted in this thread so many times?

If you truly believe that we should all just focus on football you are actually guilty of what the PSU community was falsely accused of: caring more about football than human decency. I wonder if you comprehend the irony there.

Last edited:
Injustice is your opinion dem. For most people justice will never be served for the victims no matter how much money was exchanged. For others justice was served in some form. Serious question. What injustice are you referring to? Your entire first paragraph is purely emotional and the “world according to dem” stuff unless you feel like you can speak and represent most people.

Your second paragraph is of course jibberish with no substance so I’ll pass on that one.

According to many the truth has been out for quite awhile dem. According to them maybe the truth has set them free.
Of COURSE ITS MY OPINION, YOU DIMWIT!

I am the guy acting. I am the guy you say is wasting his time. My opinion. My time. My business.

Nevertheless I tried to explain it to you. That you cannot understand is your problem.

He got paid, not a secret.
When Freeh was FBI director, he sent a message to the bureau’s employees about the agency’s Core Values:

• Rigorous obedience to the Constitution of the United States.
  • Respect for the dignity of all those we protect.
  • Compassion.
  • Fairness.
  • Uncompromising personal integrity and institutional integrity.
  • Accountability by accepting responsibility for our actions and decisions and the consequences of our actions and decisions.
“We who enforce the law must not merely obey it,” he exhorted his people. “We have an obligation to set a moral example, which those whom we protect can follow.”

Freeh, by example, could have added a seventh core value: Keep all things in perspective. He has blended an impressive law enforcement career with raising a large family, which he’s worked to keep as his first priority.

Armed with a law degree and later a Master’s in Criminal Law, he was an FBI special agent in the New York City field office and at FBI headquarters. He then worked successively at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York as an assistant U.S. attorney, chief of the Organized Crime Unit, deputy U.S. attorney and associate U.S. attorney.

In 1991, President George H.W. Bush appointed him a judge for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. Two years later, he answered a call from President Bill Clinton, and he became the fifth director of the FBI.

Freeh began his tenure as FBI director at a nexus of technological and international changes. He transferred the bureau from a national law-enforcement agency to a global security institution by doubling the number of branches worldwide.

He’s now chair of Freeh Group International Solutions, LLC, an investigation firm he founded in 2007 and sold to Pepper Hamilton LLP in 2012. In 2013, Freeh was appointed to investigate allegations of potential misconduct over BP settlement management. In 2011, Penn State hired Freeh to conduct a probe into allegations against former football coach Jerry Sandusky. That year he was the bankruptcy trustee overseeing the return of more than $1 billion to creditors of MF Global Holdings.

He’s a busy man. But he still tries to get home for dinner.

He is a lying sack of shit...and he will rot in hell for eternity.

"The difference between the camp I reside in and the camp some of you reside is I’m no longer emotional about the Penn State scandal." With this line you revealed yourself as the troll that you are. So it is the Penn State scandal to you? No one who truly cared about Penn State could type that phrase and not be emotional. If you have moved on why have you posted in this thread so many times?

If you truly believe that we should all just focus on football you are actually guilty of what the PSU community was falsely accused of: caring more about football than human decency. I wonder if you comprehend the irony there.

Typical. Yep you got it buddy. I post in this thread because I care about the faction that you and your posse embarrass regularly. Missed 3 basketball games all year jerk even though I have a two hour drive. Some of you guys are hopeless self righteous jerks. Of course your last paragraph misrepresents. As much as I love Penn State I can’t stand the rudeness some of you so-called Penn Staters exhibit daily. Typical attack by a typical jerk.

Of COURSE ITS MY OPINION, YOU DIMWIT!

I am the guy acting. I am the guy you say is wasting his time. My opinion. My time. My business.

Nevertheless I tried to explain it to you. That you cannot understand is your problem.

Sweet dem. Just because you explain your opinion doesn’t mean someone has to agree with it. I understand clearly what your opinion is and I’m still advising you to move on. It would be better for your basic attitude IMHO.

Typical. Yep you got it buddy. I post in this thread because I care about the faction that you and your posse embarrass regularly. Missed 3 basketball games all year jerk even though I have a two hour drive. Some of you guys are hopeless self righteous jerks. Of course your last paragraph misrepresents. As much as I love Penn State I can’t stand the rudeness some of you so-called Penn Staters exhibit daily. Typical attack by a typical jerk.
Happy to embarrass those who cave to injustice. The ignore feature is your friend. Its a perfect way to express your most telling trait.

So it doesn't matter that the wrong organization (PSU) took the fall for an employee of the second mile, who provided and has responsibility for the victims... because the victims were victims. Got it.

And you wonder why nobody takes you seriously? If you can't even grasp the easy stuff... now I understand why you use diversionary tactics to avoid responding to the tough questions like Dem's second paragraph.

I believe Sandusky took the fall as he should have. I believe the NCAA and The Big Ten F’d us over. I believe all leadership made mistakes, some grave. I believe some leadership just wasn’t trained in handling a monster like Sandusky. I believe the legal system was in over their heads. And I believe there is a bruise on Penn State that will fade away sometime in history. Lastly I believe some at Penn State will never be whole because they can’t move on.

It is never time to move on if injustice persists. That does not necessarily mean that the outcome will change but it is worth continuing to fight. BTW most of us can continue to fight the false narrative and simultaneously support CJF and the current team. It is not an either or proposition. You have chosen to turn your back on the man who laid the foundation for success with honor. It is your loss. If you find people talking about this so distressing don't open the thread or use the ignore feature.

OMG you need to get a grip. “Turn your back”..........that’s really pathetic buddy. The first part of your post is good stuff and I agree with you basically.

Just a quick question.. I do not follow this as much as some of your guys. Did Joe have any connection the 2nd Mile. I mean did he ever speak there? Ever do any charity work there?... Sponsor a "golf outing" there?

Just a quick question.. I do not follow this as much as some of your guys. Did Joe have any connection the 2nd Mile. I mean did he ever speak there? Ever do any charity work there?... Sponsor a "golf outing" there?
Others know more than me. But, little to no connection. He knew some of the Board members, but everyone in SC knew those people. He certainly did not do "golf outings" there (or anywhere, so far as I know). This is how TSM's politically-connected board was permitted to skate, and how "swim trunks" Jack was able to slide by after having run a grooming charity for Jerry-barely any connection to the guy THEY blamed for Jerry.

Reactions: Bob78 and Zenophile
I believe Sandusky took the fall as he should have. I believe the NCAA and The Big Ten F’d us over. I believe all leadership made mistakes, some grave. I believe some leadership just wasn’t trained in handling a monster like Sandusky. I believe the legal system was in over their heads. And I believe there is a bruise on Penn State that will fade away sometime in history. Lastly I believe some at Penn State will never be whole because they can’t move on.
I appreciate your concern for my wholeness. You have a lot to learn about how change occurs, and how historic wrongs are righted.

Hope is not a strategy.

Reactions: demlion

That justice was done is your opinion (and others who feel that way). We’re all operating on our opinions because there’s not a lot of hard evidence out there.

He may have helped out a little bit, but the truth is that toward the end of Sandusky's coaching tenure, Paterno got extremely frustrated that Sandusky was dedicating so much time to the charity. Joe felt that Jerry was shirking his duties as defensive coordinator. That is why Paterno told Sandusky he would not succeed him as head coach and why Sandusky ended up retiring.

The irony is that if Paterno was really as obsessed solely on football as people claim, he may have fired Sandusky in the early 1990s if not the late 1980s. I think Joe Paterno let Sandusky stay on staff because he didn't want to be known as the guy who fired "Mr. Rogers".

He may have helped out a little bit, but the truth is that toward the end of Sandusky's coaching tenure, Paterno got extremely frustrated that Sandusky was dedicating so much time to the charity. Joe felt that Jerry was shirking his duties as defensive coordinator. That is why Paterno told Sandusky he would not succeed him as head coach and why Sandusky ended up retiring.

The irony is that if Paterno was really as obsessed solely on football as people claim, he may have fired Sandusky in the early 1990s if not the late 1980s. I think Joe Paterno let Sandusky stay on staff because he didn't want to be known as the guy who fired "Mr. Rogers".

There will always be strife on a coaching staff, where two or more individuals, covet the same job. Even and perhaps especially, if one currently occupies that position. The reality is that JS could have had several HC positions(during his hayday") if he were shopping to leave PSU. The problem was he wanted to stay and JVP had no intention of going.
I think the DC stuff got stale for JS and IMO there was a growing, if subtle
resentment toward JVP for showing no inclination to get out of his "way."
There is also a special kind of vibe that a HC gets when he feels his Coordinators no longer take a broad interpretation of their job description (In this case what's best for the PSU Football Program) and become laser focused (what's best for my side of the ball).To put it more simply, there was the beginnings of a schism on the staff.
For example, I recall early in my career as a High School HC.....the varsity program was traditionally very poor. I made a concerted effort to leave talented young players on the JV Squad rather than poach them and hopefully develop a winning attitude. One afternoon during a controlled scrimmage vs. the JV........I looked up and saw all my assistants in the JV huddle. Needless to say, after that practice, we had a come to Jesus moment. It never happened again and fortunately, my plan to plant the seed of a winning attitude soon came to fruition.

Reactions: indynittany
Great Response....WHY??

Because it confirms and exposes even MORE features which were withheld from the public. It adds much more credibility to the contention that the "Penn State Scandal" was nothing but a "Story" designed to deceive the public and promote a smoke screen for OAG selected "special friends".

To me this only further validates that this WAS & IS a State of Pennsylvania Scandal. And, amazingly....This scandal is well above the crimes that Sandusky was convicted on. This REAL scandal is that the OAG constructed a "Story" that REMOVED real facts from the public.

It hid something the OAG KNEW to be true.....that the REAL MANDATED REPORTERS got away with crimes - crimes the magnitude which are now"...only known but to God..." Why...because those that REALLY had the legal responsibility to STOP children from within its"community of victims" from being abused - DID LESS THAN NOTHING!!!!!!

Which begs the question.....Is Sandusky only the tip of the iceberg??? How many more TSM kids were abused....NOT by Sandusky...but by others? A real motive of SELECTIVE PROTECTION by the OAG is what needs immediate exposure and legal action. Who else "used TSM for kids????

Is this why the TSM records had to be destroyed? Others - politically protected donors (???) - were "They" using TSM "kids" for their own purposes???

This issue of painting PSU with the ONLY LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY in this matter is nothing less than UNPUNISHED CRIMES!! Add to this the totally bogus legal processes over 7 years and you can not escape the only reasonable conclusion - this is nothing but COLLUSIVE CRIMES MADE POSSIBLE BY A CORRUPT OAG "Story" .... a "Story" only made possible by a coordinated group of public officials!

This is why we can not just "...move on..."
Destruction of TSM records was a well planned attack .
Solicitor General Bruce Castor told the Tribune-Review he has asked a head investigator to compile a memo on “what an investigation into the Second Mile would look like,” referring to the nonprofit founded in 1977 by former assistant Penn State University football coach Jerry Sandusky, who was convicted of 45 counts of child abuse in 2012.

Second Mile's purpose was to help underprivileged children. A jury found Sandusky, 72, guilty of molesting 10 boys he met through the defunct nonprofit's programs and he was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison.

The Sandusky investigation occurred under Attorney General Kathleen Kane's predecessors. Former Attorney General Tom Corbett, of Shaler, started the probe before becoming governor in 2010. Corbett's appointee, Linda Kelly of Edgewood, oversaw the prosecution of Sandusky, who was charged in December 2011.

Castor said the Second Mile issue arose when he wrote the legal opinion for Kane, which resulted in her decision last month not to appeal a Superior Court ruling that threw out the most serious charges of perjury and obstruction of justice against three former Penn State administrators charged in an alleged cover-up of the Sandusky case. Lesser charges of child endangerment remain against them.

“It began bothering me like a pebble in my shoe, this long-held perception that the Second Mile may have provided some of Sandusky's victims,” Castor said. “My question is, what did they know and when did they know it?”

The foundation was disbanded after Sandusky was charged.

“I'm pleased someone is actually looking at this,” said Anthony Lubrano, a member of the Penn State Board of Trustees.

Castor, a former Montgomery County district attorney, said it's not clear if such an inquiry could result in charges because of the statute of limitations.

“The bigger question is whether there are still records to review,” Lubrano said.

Critics of Corbett have long questioned why officials of the Second Mile were not investigated. They pointed to his approval of a $3 million grant for the foundation in 2011 after accepting thousands of dollars in campaign donations from people with ties to the foundation.

Corbett's office had denied any connection between the contributions and the decision not to pursue prosecution.

Former state agents and prosecutors familiar with the case said there was an extensive investigation of the board.

Federal investigators conducted an investigation.

“We have no comment,” said Dawn Mayko, spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office in the Middle District of Pennsylvania, based in Harrisburg.

“We have no comment,” said Dawn Mayko, spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office in the Middle District of Pennsylvania, based in Harrisburg
"Same here."
david-la-torre-48a26b5a5bb9cf67.jpg

"Yup."
Lawrence%20Lokman.jpg

Cmon dem, just admit he is correct and has the moral high ground. He did go to some basketball games......

To quote Bob, “ please take this opportunity to use the ignore function”
Good point, lol. Jesus.

Reactions: anon_vmuicqnzlyp3u
That justice was done is your opinion (and others who feel that way). We’re all operating on our opinions because there’s not a lot of hard evidence out there.

Hey I get that and that’s a legit perspective IMO. I’ve never said total justice was served or injustice wasn’t put on Joe’s doorstep. I’ll just never reasonably understand how Joe and leadership didn’t have some basic knowledge that Sandusky was a major problem if not a child abuse threat.

I appreciate your concern for my wholeness. You have a lot to learn about how change occurs, and how historic wrongs are righted.

Ok buddy if you say so. I’ll keep that in mind haha. Is it all about Joe for you or more wrongs out there?

You and dem are toxic and jerks.

We've just not made our minds up like you, we are open to new and changing information. Because of that you think we are toxic jerks... I guess childish name calling is easier than making a substantive response.

You select few who have already convinced themselves and want to move on. You're not going to convince people that you are correct so it seems to be wasted effort to me.

Hey I get that and that’s a legit perspective IMO. I’ve never said total justice was served or injustice wasn’t put on Joe’s doorstep. I’ll just never reasonably understand how Joe and leadership didn’t have some basic knowledge that Sandusky was a major problem if not a child abuse threat.
Same way many other predators get away with it for so long. They’re good at fooling people. It’s a shame Joe didn’t have all the info that they have now...you know, all the stuff that people know now and are using to judge what Joe should have done back then.

I've mentioned this before...I am the Director of a program for abused and neglected kids in central Pa. If I had performed my duties at any time anything like Dr. Raykovitz did at the 2nd Mile I would have been tried, prosecuted, drawn and quartered by the state, my board, my colleagues, the donors to my organization, etc. And rightfully so!

The fact that he continues to enjoy a strong practice in the State College area is nothing short of astonishing to me. Him having 'dirt' on someone may explain his continued existence. But him still living in that same community and, seemingly, flourishing without consequence is beyond the pale.

like like like like .... infinity

Reactions: Bob78
Same way many other predators get away with it for so long. They’re good at fooling people. It’s a shame Joe didn’t have all the info that they have now...you know, all the stuff that people know now and are using to judge what Joe should have done back then.

I would think most predators aren’t using an institution and their resources as a grooming ground like Sandusky did for years and years. Most cases like with school districts don’t go on for years and years. It just seems improbable Joe didn’t know he had a serious problem in Sandusky. But it also seems improbable Joe knew he was enabling a child predator. At least to me the Joe knew discussion isn’t a cut a dry discussion. I believe Joe knew he had a Sandusky problem but didn’t realize the severity of it and/or how to deal with it.

Reactions: WHCANole
I would think most predators aren’t using an institution and their resources as a grooming ground like Sandusky did for years and years. Most cases like with school districts don’t go on for years and years. It just seems improbable Joe didn’t know he had a serious problem in Sandusky. But it also seems improbable Joe knew he was enabling a child predator. At least to me the Joe knew discussion isn’t a cut a dry discussion. I believe Joe knew he had a Sandusky problem but didn’t realize the severity of it and/or how to deal with it.
Which means he might as well have known nothing....you can’t act on something like that unless you definitely know something.

Reactions: Zenophile
Wow , you must be correct that this is unique. Not like it happens at Michigan state too....

MSU has a problem?
After the release of Freeh’s Penn State report in 2012, the fallout was fast.

The NCAA fined Penn State $60 million, yanked 30 football scholarships, barred it from postseason play for four years and vacated 112 of Paterno’s victories.

But the organization had stepped into muddy waters, legal experts say. As the governing board of intercollegiate athletics, it normally limited its oversight to infractions directly related to sports, such as recruiting offenses.

Critics of the sanctions said the NCAA had overstepped its bounds.

After a lawsuit by Penn State supporters in 2014, the organization backed down. It restored the scholarships, rescinded the postseason ban and restored the victories.

By responding to the sexual abuse at Penn State, the NCAA has now painted itself into a corner, said Dave Ridpath, president of the Drake Group, a college sports watchdog.

If the organization acts against MSU, its authority could be challenged, said Ridpath. If it does nothing, it will look like it doesn’t care about young female athletes.

“They almost feel like they’re forced to do something,” Ritpath said.

The Penn State imbroglio also led to criminal charges against senior school administrators.

Spanier, Curley and Gary Schultz, the school’s senior vice president for finance and business, were charged with child endangerment. They had all known about the 2001 allegation against Sandusky but failed to do anything, said police.

Paterno died in 2012.

Curley and Schultz pleaded guilty last year and served three months and two months in jail, respectively.

Spanier, who fought the charge, was found guilty last year and sentenced to two months in jail and two months of house arrest. He remains free while he appeals the sentence.

As for Michigan State, the criminal investigation has just begun. And the lawsuits continue to grow as more victims join the civil fight in federal court.

Neil Wolf, a Chicago area attorney who once was general counsel for Benedictine University, said MSU’s fight over its handling of Nassar is about to heat up.

“The litigation is going to get hotter, bigger, more intense and more complicated,” he said.

Wow , you must be correct that this is unique. Not like it happens at Michigan state too....

I think as that situation get the facts out there will be similarities and major differences. I think all of these types of cases are unique to the institution and the circumstances surrounding the entire situation.

ADVERTISEMENT