ADVERTISEMENT

Better Call Saul tonight

I agree... the whole scene just seemed like lazy obvious writing to me.
Maybe, but let's give the writers the benefit of the doubt and see how this plays out. They usually fill in a storyline pretty good and we do see Mike playing with his granddaughter and in a good mood around her in Breaking bad. In fact, as you guys probably already know-he had a couple million saved for her before things went south for him in BB

Reactions: 91Joe95
Great to see Hank and Gomey back! Sucks knowing what eventually happens to them. I like the Nacho character, good storyline-obviously it doesn't look like things will end well with him. I like the addition of Lalo too. He's smart but really dangerous and cunning. Plus he's not a caricature kind of like the Cousins were and not a complete psycho like Tuco.

Maybe, but let's give the writers the benefit of the doubt and see how this plays out. They usually fill in a storyline pretty good and we do see Mike playing with his granddaughter and in a good mood around her in Breaking bad. In fact, as you guys probably already know-he had a couple million saved for her before things went south for him in BB

+1. While I agree that the scene seemed "awkward" with what he know about their relationship, we also know that these writers are anything but lazy and everything means something at some point.

I agree... the whole scene just seemed like lazy obvious writing to me.
Disagree. Put everything together: Werner’s murder, Mike’s realization that he (like Nacho) won’t be able to get out from under Fring and that his new life in NM is every bit as corrupt as Philadelphia. Mike sadistically maiming the mugger was just the icing on the cake. Mike is dangerously close to the edge.

Disagree. Put everything together: Werner’s murder, Mike’s realization that he (like Nacho) won’t be able to get out from under Fring and that his new life in NM is every bit as corrupt as Philadelphia. Mike sadistically maiming the mugger was just the icing on the cake. Mike is dangerously close to the edge.
Sadistically maiming a MUGGER?? Is that possible?

Yep. This is a prequal. If memory serves, Mike makes up with his son's baby mama and daughter fairly early in BB. He just shows up one day and starts giving her cash periodically.

Although a grandfather disciplining a child isn't a ticket to lifetime hate. If that happened in every family, kids would all hate their parents and grandparents. Especially years ago when spanking kids was common.

Reactions: BFPSU
Yep. This is a prequal. If memory serves, Mike makes up with his son's baby mama and daughter fairly early in BB. He just shows up one day and starts giving her cash periodically.

Although a grandfather disciplining a child isn't a ticket to lifetime hate. If that happened in every family, kids would all hate their parents and grandparents. Especially years ago when spanking kids was common.

Seems like this scene is overblown. I think Mike still tries to hang onto a sense of Justice within himself. He will punish deserving players in the game without remorse but German was new turning point mentally and he hates Fring (and himself) for it. The blowup was about son and reminder of police days which he feels he just betrayed. The mugger scene showed that he feels good when someone gets what's coming to them. He needs that feel for justice within himself.

Reactions: LionJim
I’ll 2nd and 3rd the comments regarding cinematography- I’ve always loved that about this show (and BB).

Anyone else think Kim is headed to a darker place? She seamed (understandably) pretty fed up after the displaced homeowner tossed her aside,

I think Kim is learning a lesson that Jimmy learned a long time ago, that no good deed goes unpunished. There she was, truly trying to help this guy when she had no obligation to. The law was on her side. She tried being professional about it and that didn't work. So she tried being human about it and that worked even less with the guy essentially spitting in the face of her genuine generosity. Everybody has their breaking point and as we saw at the end of the episode Kim may be slowly realizing that there is some merit to the way Jimmy operate. And that is if you want to help people the only way to really get through to them is to manipulate them.

Think about the last two episodes. She tried to help the kid in the courthouse by trying to convince him to take the plea deal. It was truly in his best interest to do so and he wouldn't. She manipulated him into taking it by lying. In the end the kid was better off. She tried to help the older homeowner by being honest and it didn't work. In the end I think that guy is going to be worse off. Kim may realize that as much as she pushes back against what Jimmy does the ends might justify the means. She can protect people from themselves. I guess we'll see where this leads Kim but judging by the bottle scene at the end of the last episode it looks like Kim might be on a darker path.

Seems like this scene is overblown. I think Mike still tries to hang onto a sense of Justice within himself. He will punish deserving players in the game without remorse but German was new turning point mentally and he hates Fring (and himself) for it. The blowup was about son and reminder of police days which he feels he just betrayed. The mugger scene showed that he feels good when someone gets what's coming to them. He needs that feel for justice within himself.
Agree. his anger is that he has made choices that put him between his sense of right and wrong with no way out. He decided to be judge jury and executioner and now is working for a ruthless killer who is making money selling drugs that ruin people's lives. Worse yet, the only way out is jail time or death. If he turns on Fring, he'll be killed. If he doesn't he will continue to be a murderer. In the meantime, he is reminded by the stark contrast to an innocent young girl that he loves dearly (almost every person is loved by a mom, dad, grandparent). So being with the grandaughter has two purposes: One to fill up his empty life with agape love and the other is a reminder that he is killing somebody else's agape love with drugs or directly with murder. In the end, while being with her makes him happy, it is a reminder of what he is. It is a love hate relationship he is struggling to deal with. So while he loves her unconditionally, he also hates the time with her because it makes him feel horrible. That makes him volatile because any trigger sets him off (the girl screwing up the tree house). This is anger management 101: you hate yourself, you hate your life, you feel powerless, you come home to family, someone sets you off, you beat them up because you have that power in the family, you calm down and are remorseful, you are a great dad/husband, something else sets you off, and the cycle repeats.

Last edited:
I really think everyone is looking too deep at the Mile story. Mike was a bad cop that got his son , a good cop, killed. He car es that burden and doesn't like be reminded of his son. He will always have issues around his daughter in law and the granddaughter.

I don't think Mike has a problem with Fring or his business but more that he doesn't like that he put himself on the take again .

Reactions: sluggo72
I really think everyone is looking too deep at the Mile story. Mike was a bad cop that got his son , a good cop, killed. He car es that burden and doesn't like be reminded of his son. He will always have issues around his daughter in law and the granddaughter.

I don't think Mike has a problem with Fring or his business but more that he doesn't like that he put himself on the take again .

I thought Mike's son was also a dirty copy who took money? According to this Wiki article about it (https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Matt_Ehrmantraut), Mike convinced his son Matt that taking dirty money was fine because in the end the bad guys were caught. Matt took the money however it was too late because his partner and another dirty cop thought he would turn them in and killed him.

Mike, like all other characters in the Breaking Bad universe are written to be extremely human. They are both good and bad. This is how you will find most people in life, even the truly bad people are not truly evil or truly bad 100% of the time. Often times even the worst people are kind to other people at times, help other people, etc. This is why the characters are so great. They are both good and bad. While Mike does terrible things such as killing the German engineer he understands that is wrong and is affected by doing it. He even despises Gus for making him do it. Mike is capable of being a good person and a bad person as is evidenced by how much he takes care of his daughter-in-law and his grandchild.

Okay, sadistically maiming a poor sonofabitch who tried to mug him. Good grief.
I dont think you can sadistically do anything to anybody that attacks you, especially an unprovoked attack, is my point. The guy got what was coming to him, nothing sadistic about it. I suspect we might see those guys again. Thats all.

Reactions: Pride
I dont think you can sadistically do anything to anybody that attacks you, especially an unprovoked attack, is my point. The guy got what was coming to him, nothing sadistic about it. I suspect we might see those guys again. Thats all.
Did you watch the show? He had him helpless on the ground, screaming, and then kept ripping his shoulder. The fight was over, done with, and he kept at it one last time.

Suppose you got mugged and you shot the guy in the arm. He’s helpless and no threat to you and then you kneecap him for good measure. Is that not sadistic?

Did you watch the show? He had him helpless on the ground, screaming, and then kept ripping his shoulder. The fight was over, done with, and he kept at it one last time.

Suppose you got mugged and you shot the guy in the arm. He’s helpless and no threat to you and then you kneecap him for good measure. Is that not sadistic?
did you watch the show? What did Mike do other than walk down the street? The guy hit Mike first, Mike finished the deal. End of story as far as I am concerned. There were no guns involved, both used their fists, Mike just used his better. Kicking him in the nuts might have been sadistic, twisting his arm? Not so much

I saw this thread yesterday afternoon.....Better Call Saul Tonight.....and for some reason wondered if Chambers was gonna give him a call before the MSU game or not.

did you watch the show? What did Mike do other than walk down the street? The guy hit Mike first, Mike finished the deal. End of story as far as I am concerned. There were no guns involved, both used their fists, Mike just used his better. Kicking him in the nuts might have been sadistic, twisting his arm? Not so much

Judas Priest, we are now arguing over a scene in Better Call Saul? WTF?
giphy.gif

Mike was outnumbered by the other thugs, 4:1. He had to send a message.

Mike was outnumbered by the other thugs, 4:1. He had to send a message.
It’s speaks more to Mike’s frame of mind than anything else. He all but tore the guy’s arm off. (I watched it with closed captions and got <sound of cartilage tearing> two separate times.) The bartender offered to get him a cab but he decides to walk home. Why? He’s too street-smart not to realize that more likely than not he’s going to run into a situation where he would have to defend himself. It was no accident that he ran into those toughs and he knew he’d have an excuse to defend himself. He put himself in that situation because he wanted to go medieval on someone’s ass. That’s why I thought his going off at his granddaughter was perfectly in character for Mike, given his state of mind at that time. The guys’s in a bad, bad place right now.

Oh, the picture that he asked the bartender to remove was of the Sydney Opera House, which Werner had told him his father had worked on.

(I watched it with closed captions and got <sound of cartilage tearing> two separate times.) .
Ha! That is pretty accurate.
Regardless of the details, I think we can all agree that Mike is in a bad place - probably setting him up for some big moment in a later episode.

Not to sidetrack, but do you rely entirely on closed captioning, or do you read lips as well?
Our local high school will be offering a sign language class starting next year. I think one of my kids is going to take it.

Ha! That is pretty accurate.
Regardless of the details, I think we can all agree that Mike is in a bad place - probably setting him up for some big moment in a later episode.

Not to sidetrack, but do you rely entirely on closed captioning, or do you read lips as well?
Our local high school will be offering a sign language class starting next year. I think one of my kids is going to take it.
I became deaf at five so my speech is quite understandable. You’ll know you’re talking to a deaf man, but we’d be able to converse. I lip read well enough to get by in most situations but no, lip reading the TV isn’t an option.

I’m glad about your son taking ASL classes. Optimally, you would want these classes to count as foreign language credit. Many school districts allow this, and they should. ASL is an amazing language. I’ve been signing for forty years and am not quite fluent, although I do kick ass teaching math in ASL.

I became deaf at five so my speech is quite understandable. You’ll know you’re talking to a deaf man, but we’d be able to converse. I lip read well enough to get by in most situations but no, lip reading the TV isn’t an option.

I’m glad about your son taking ASL classes. Optimally, you would want these classes to count as foreign language credit. Many school districts allow this, and they should. ASL is an amazing language. I’ve been signing for forty years and am not quite fluent, although I do kick ass teaching math in ASL.
OT an awesome display of ASL (IMO) was watching Bob Westerman 'yell' at his football team in sign language!! He could get after their ass if he needed to .! ! He didnt always do it, but did it enough. He told me he could only, at best, finger spell when he took the job. @grantgreen
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ootball/e3acf895-7b45-40c7-bbed-0ed1c27a6434/

Last edited:
OT an awesome display of ASL (IMO) was watching Bob Westerman 'yell' at his football team in sign language!! He could get after their ass if he needed to .! ! He didnt always do it, but did it enough. He told me he could only, at best, finger spell when he took the job. @grantgreen
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ootball/e3acf895-7b45-40c7-bbed-0ed1c27a6434/
Andy Bonheyo (five-time National Deaf HS Football coach of the year) could really bring it. We used to share an office way back in the day and I once idly asked him what he was like on the field. “Do you really want to know?” “Yeah, sure.” “I can see you don’t quite understand so I’ll ask again.” “Yeah, give it to me.” “Okay.” He settles himself and then gets into my face in a way I’ll remember to my dying day. Indescribable. One of the finest men I’ve ever known.

Thanks for the picture ID, I forgot about the opera house connection.
So did I, actually. Came upon it in a review.[/QUOTE]

That's really my only criticism of the show-there's soo much time between seasons (this time, it was close to 2 yrs) that you forget soo much unless you are really hardcore into it and review episodes or read up on them. I had no idea about the picture-I went a read a review that explained it. I still don't remember the scene, even after reading about it-LOL

So did I, actually. Came upon it in a review.

That's really my only criticism of the show-there's soo much time between seasons (this time, it was close to 2 yrs) that you forget soo much unless you are really hardcore into it and review episodes or read up on them. I had no idea about the picture-I went a read a review that explained it. I still don't remember the scene, even after reading about it-LOL[/QUOTE]
my problem is this with AMC, I tried to go back to 'on demand' and it seems AMC doesnt really do Breaking Bad, BCS etc 'on demand', you can pay for episodes but not re watch past season like you can with many other networks or programs.

Reactions: BBrown

Why is lip reading not an option? Is it all going too fast? When I see an athlete on the sidelines during a game talking to a coach or another athlete I always wish I could read lips and figure out what they're saying.

There was an episode of Seinfeld where George got Marlee Matlin's character to go to a party with him so she could read the lips of someone across the room because he wanted to know what they were saying about him. If you saw that episode, was it realistic for someone to do that?

So did I, actually. Came upon it in a review.

That's really my only criticism of the show-there's soo much time between seasons (this time, it was close to 2 yrs) that you forget soo much unless you are really hardcore into it and review episodes or read up on them. I had no idea about the picture-I went a read a review that explained it. I still don't remember the scene, even after reading about it-LOL[/QUOTE]
I understand that it hasn't been as popular as they liked so weren't sure if they were going to pick up the final seasons. In that time of ambiguity, several actors took other projects. They had to wait until those projects completed before filming again.

That's really my only criticism of the show-there's soo much time between seasons (this time, it was close to 2 yrs) that you forget soo much unless you are really hardcore into it and review episodes or read up on them. I had no idea about the picture-I went a read a review that explained it. I still don't remember the scene, even after reading about it-LOL
my problem is this with AMC, I tried to go back to 'on demand' and it seems AMC doesnt really do Breaking Bad, BCS etc 'on demand', you can pay for episodes but not re watch past season like you can with many other networks or programs.[/QUOTE]

Agree but that rewatching past seasons seems to be an issue with a lot of Networks. I tried to watch a few older episodes of The Black List and they wanted to charge me 5.99 for it. :eek:
If you have Netflix both Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad are available.

my problem is this with AMC, I tried to go back to 'on demand' and it seems AMC doesnt really do Breaking Bad, BCS etc 'on demand', you can pay for episodes but not re watch past season like you can with many other networks or programs.

Agree but that rewatching past seasons seems to be an issue with a lot of Networks. I tried to watch a few older episodes of The Black List and they wanted to charge me 5.99 for it. :eek:
If you have Netflix both Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad are available.[/QUOTE]
last seasons of BCS and BB?? I'll check that out! Thanks!

Why is lip reading not an option? Is it all going too fast? When I see an athlete on the sidelines during a game talking to a coach or another athlete I always wish I could read lips and figure out what they're saying.

There was an episode of Seinfeld where George got Marlee Matlin's character to go to a party with him so she could read the lips of someone across the room because he wanted to know what they were saying about him. If you saw that episode, was it realistic for someone to do that?

My guess is the cuts are too quick and sometimes the person talking isn't the focus, its the reaction of the other person.
Plus they like a lot of long wide shots on BCS. That scene with Jimmy and Kim on the Balcony with the beer bottle and the light filtering through it was just another example of their genius at cinematography. I'm not sure I've ever seen another TV series, maybe Longmire and BB, where you could just pull a scene out by itself and it could stand as an outstanding photograph.

Oh, the picture that he asked the bartender to remove was of the Sydney Opera House, which Werner had told him his father had worked on.

Thanks, I was trying to figure that out but didn't have time to look it up yet (I watched last night before going to sleep).

Because it’s not instantaneous, I guess. You have to make educated guesses and before you know it you’re lost. Lol at the Marlee Marlin reference; I truly hope you didn’t think that was on the level.

Because it’s not instantaneous, I guess. You have to make educated guesses and before you know it you’re lost. Lol at the Marlee Marlin reference; I truly hope you didn’t think that was on the level.

I had no idea if it was on the level. I know it was funny as hell because is so ridiculous, but I had no idea if it was plausible in real life, until now.

If I recall correctly, in the past AMC has done a marathon of the previous season. Because ot the time between the current season and last, I had hoped they would do a marathon this year. Disappointed that they did not.

I had no idea if it was on the level. I know it was funny as hell because is so ridiculous, but I had no idea if it was plausible in real life, until now.
No prob. I lipread better than almost any profoundly deaf person, probably, but in anything other than an one-to-one conversation I get lost pretty quickly. It’s okay, really. I’m usually thinking about a math problem, anyway. My friends at PSU tried hard to keep me involved and God will bless them for that. I remember one of them had a habit of repeating to me the jokes on the Tonight Show, in real time. Good guy, he was.

If you have Netflix both Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad are available.
last seasons of BCS and BB?? I'll check that out! Thanks![/QUOTE]
All seasons of BB and BCS on Netflix.
I just re-watched BCS Season 4. Highly recommend it to recall all the details. Not to mention, it is almost just as enjoyable the second time.

Reactions: sluggo72 and BBrown
I understand that it hasn't been as popular as they liked so weren't sure if they were going to pick up the final seasons. In that time of ambiguity, several actors took other projects. They had to wait until those projects completed before filming again.
I thought I read that (at least part of) the delay was that there is basically one production team in Albuquerque and they were using the crew to secretly film "El Camino".

BTW, I started re-watching Breaking Bad during the last couple of months and I'm about half way through season 3. It's working out well to catch some of the BB references in BCS and seeing Jimmy again in full-on Saul Goodman mode.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT